Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Thinking of getting a new mic.. suggestions please.

Agree? Yes No

Default Thinking of getting a new mic.. suggestions please.

Hi;

I've been using my Shure SM-58 and my Motu828mkII with pretty good results, but lately been thinking about getting a condenser mic. A few choices came up, for instance the Behringer B-1 and the Rode NT-1 were among the choices. I was curious what you all recommend for a home studio recording environment. I'm trying to keep this purchase below $200.

Thanks;
    John
    Addicted2Fiction ... http://www.addicted2fiction.com

Agree? Yes No

I'm using a Shure KSM27, which works beautifully. I'd go w. the Behringer, because I've got the MX-180 EuroRack mixer-and behringer is very cool. clean-crisp.

Agree? Yes No

I'm not a big fan of Behringer's sound. For cheap mics, not sure if they fall under $200 or not, I'd check out: Rode NT1, AKG C2000B, Shure KSM27. I've worked with those three mics, and they sound great. The Shure Beta 58 is also wonderful, especially for my voice.

Best thing to do is go to a music store and try them out, see what sounds best on you.

-Mark
    www.djintrovert.com

Agree? Yes No

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice and info. I'm gonna have to take Mark's advice and visit a local store. The Rode mic has come up many a times as a choice. Is the NT-1A the same as the NT1? I'm guessing the NT-1 has been discontinued.

Thanks;
    John

Agree? Yes No

well for the price you just can not go wrong with the studio projects condenser mics.
    i paid 100.00 us for mine its a c1 brand new.
    i was skeptical at first but all i can say it WOW!!!!
    best bang for the buck piece of new gear i have EVER BOUGHT.

Agree? Yes No

Both the Rode NT-series and the Studio Projects stuff are AWESOME for the money. I've had my NT-1 for a while and love it. I'm tempted to buy a Studio Projects C1 or B1 just becasue they sound so great for what they cost.

You'll never go back to an SM58 for studio work again.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

I am leaning towards picking up a Rode NT1A. Been getting some positive feeback on those models. Thanks for everyone's replies and advice.

John

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NullDevice
    Both the Rode NT-series and the Studio Projects stuff are AWESOME for the money. I've had my NT-1 for a while and love it. I'm tempted to buy a Studio Projects C1 or B1 just becasue they sound so great for what they cost.

You'll never go back to an SM58 for studio work again.

yeah we love the studio projects stuff.
    we also love the fact that these mics are doing to the prices of higher end mics.

Agree? Yes No

I've used samson Q1's, Octiva 300 series, and Audio Technica in our music, so if you wanna check it out...
    I think the best way to select a mic is probably to go to a studio and try out a bunch of mics, and figure out which you like. Its all about preference. The second best way would be to go into a store and try them out. 3rd best way would be just to look at specs and select on specs. I've done this method a couple of times - not such a bad way. Try to see if there are spectrums online, and if they're fairly flat then you should be good - be weary though the scales are always different.
    hEADaCHE of CEOXiME
    headaque@yahoo.com
    www.ceoxime.com

Agree? Yes No

SP C1, KSM27, & AT4040..
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

mannikan, definitely look into the Marshall MXL 990 - a nice clean, crisp single-pattern large diaphragm condenser - and it's damn cheap. you should be able to find one for less than $100 US. at that price, get 2.

d
    -= | i.make.sound | =-
    -= | v01d | =-

Agree? Yes No

It really depends on the tonality of your voice..I really like the SM58 dynamic and prefer it over the NT-1 condenser.

If you're looking for a condenser I'd get the C1 since it's gotten such rave reviews (here and other places).

Agree? Yes No

I have an NT-1, an AKG 414B-TLII, and an AKG 414B-ULS. I used the TLII on my last (acoustic) album, but for electronic music, the NT-1 works best. You might even consider the AKG C3000 if you like a really bright sound.
    Brian.

11th Records Mastering
    www.11threcords.com

Color Theory
    www.colortheory.com

Agree? Yes No

All good advice...I like the SP C1 myself since I've been able to use it on just about every vocalist lately with good results. Every mic has it's strengths and weaknesses but this one just seems to sound better on a wide variety of vocal styles than anything else that I've used.
    Dave
    www.mp3.com/davidsgravenimage

Agree? Yes No

Thanks everyone. My NT-1A will be arriving shortly, so I will post my finding and opinion on this mic. Your advice and comments have been very valuable.

John

Agree? Yes No

AKG 414 is our mic of choice. Pick one up used on e-bay to save some dough. I recently read in Future Music (UK) that they reccomend this mic for all around use. It's a mid-priced mic that has a larger sound. I've been in recording studios in both LA and NYC. And multiple engineers have prefered it over 10K mics. But, I suppose it's all personal peference.
    www.tristraum.com

Thread Information