Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Where is 'synthpop' genre at mp3.com?

TDOL

Agree? Yes No

Question Where is 'synthpop' genre at mp3.com?

Without intentionally starting another 'What is Synthpop?' thread, why doesn't mp3.com recognize 'synthpop' as a genre? I noticed genres like 'Horror Stories' and 'Shoegazer', but not the style with which I most closely identify my music. I've gone with 'Electronic' in the past, but that genre seems too all-inclusive to me. I'm sure some of you have run into this as well? Maybe we can gang up and petition the lords at mp3.com to add it to their list.

Agree? Yes No

Here's a tip:

If you're doing synthpop on mp3.com, put your genre as either "New Wave" or "Darkwave" ... people will know where to find you. I find that at least works for me.

I think NukleoN actually e-mailed mp3.com about this and got a really tersely worded reply saying that synthpop wasn't really in use by a lot of mp3.com acts, that there weren't enough to warrant the genre. Or some such idiotic nonsense.

TDOL

Agree? Yes No

'New Wave'.... aren't bands like 'The Romantics' considered to be New Wave? Tell ya what..if everyone with tracks on MP3.com who considers their music to be synthpop wanted to send me a PM with their band name, I would be willing to draft a formal email to mp3.com with a request to include us on their genre list. Or...we could all agree to each send them an email. Or your suggestions?

Agree? Yes No

You can put it loads of places, New Wave, Darkwave, Electronica. I see alot of synthpop acts in Europop and EuroDance as well.

I emailed the mp3.com president and asked about a synthpop genre being added and had about 50 or so group names for him, but all he said at the time was "we'll look into it to see if there's interest to warrent it". I never heard back, lol. Mind you, that was 3 years ago, maybe they'll listen now that they're under "new management", lol.

Count me in, TDOL.

Jeff/Intervox
    www.intervox.org

Agree? Yes No

I've written them long letters about it and so has Kris from BNI....we've begged, pleaded, cajoled, threatened, but to no avail. MP3.com is just too dense to realize how odd it is to have genres like 'Left Field' or 'Tech Step' but nothing called 'synthpop'. Ampcast, fortunately, does have a synthpop genre.

I've also heard from a contact at MP3.com that it would be technically very difficult to add a genre because it would upset everything...perhaps that was more an issue when people were benefiting from Pay 4 Play.

It certainly couldn't hurt to send them some more email about it.

Agree? Yes No

my quesiton is- where is the synthpop section
    at sam goody, fye, wherehouse music.....etc-

they have all these weirdass genres of music that i
    didn't even know existed- but they fail to realize there's
    a music scene that's...*cough* better than their mainstream
    bull¤¤¤¤ *cough* ah well- i'll always have kazaa.
    // lost are the ones who love at all costs //

TDOL

Agree? Yes No

....well, I'll do a bit more research and see what I can do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Agree? Yes No

Maybe one of those online petition things? You could get more than the artists signing, but the listeners as well. Maybe they would be more inclined to visit mp3.com more often and stay longer if the genre existed? That would maybe interest mp3.com.

--
    Jeff/Intervox
    www.intervox.org

Agree? Yes No

Whatever you guys are doing, count me in!!! I think I might be able to rally a few more troops on this as well ...

Agree? Yes No

Although it doesn't apply to my current project mp3.com does have "Industrial Electronic" which I thought was very cool.

For Provision we just use Dance.
    New Wave and Dark Wave does not describe us, so I wouldn't use either of those.

I have witten them as well, and i have received the same responces that Dan from Nukleon has.

I honestly think it has a lot to do with Universal owning them as well. Universal doesn't have any Synthpop acts signed to it's label, and I believe if they did they would probably better recognize the genre on mp3.com as they should.

It's just more of the reason that no matter how hard we try as Synthpop artists we are still underground to an extent.

Or to quote A Different Drum - "Too good for Radio".

ROFL...

Breye K. / Provision
    Section 44 Records
    Los Angeles € Denver € Houston
    http://www.section44.com

TDOL

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by intervox
    [b]Maybe one of those online petition things? You could get more than the artists signing, but the listeners as well. Maybe they would be more inclined to visit mp3.com more often and stay longer if the genre existed? That would maybe interest mp3.com.
    Jeff--great idea! How do we get started?

....answering my own question. I've found a free petition hosting service at http://www.petitiononline.com. I'll try to draft up some sort of statement in the next few days. Any suggestions for content, such as statistics, etc. would be appreciated. Once it's ready, I'll post a link and start campaigning......it can't hurt.

Agree? Yes No

I highly doubt after so many years they'll add a synthpop category. Though new wave isn't indicative of a place to find modern synthpop people know to go there to find it. Unfortunately I wouldn't move my music into a synthpop category even if it existed at this time, it would certainly get less traffic than the new wave category.
    Brand New Idol
    Listen to our music - Click Here
    http://www.brandnewidol.com
    http://www.mp3.com/brandnewidol (R.I.P.)
    http://www.nysynthpop.com

TDOL

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Brand New Idol
    I highly doubt after so many years they'll add a synthpop category.
    You may be right.... I know you guys have tried in the past. Maybe it's time to give it another go. The worst mp3.com can say is 'no'.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Breye Kyzer

..(snip)...
    Or to quote A Different Drum - "Too good for Radio".

ROFL...

Breye K. / Provision
    Da*n skippy, Breye, and hear, hear! I gave up on FM radio-- and national-chain record stores, for that matter-- several years ago. Eight out of the last ten CDs I purchased were online from A Different Drum. (The other two were CD replacements for old cassettes, from a used CD store.)

One of the eight, by the way, was the Evaporate album. Kudos to your group-- great work.

--Edgar

Agree? Yes No

The guys behind mp3.com really think they are something....

I don't like the system they have. If you search for a band under the genre "industrial electronical", you might get a band with one track under this genre, the rest is like ambvient or something.
    And no synthpop!!! that's too bad, a shame.
    They have the weirdest genres, but not something commercial as synthpop!!

Christina

Thread Information