Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: there is hope for the youth of america.

Agree? Yes No

Default there is hope for the youth of america.

I work at a Sam Goody in the mall.

A few weeks ago two young girls came in, both about 12 years old. I was standing behind the register when they brought a CD to me and asked if I could hold it so they could go get more money from their parents. Yeah right, I thought as I chunked the CD aside, thinking that they wouldn't come back. But then I looked at the CD.... and it was Yaz' Upstairs at Erics!!! Either these girls are playing some sort of a weird joke or this CD is for their parents, I thought.

So about an hour later the two girls came back and I asked them who the CD was for. It was for them!!! Turns out their choir teacher made them listen to it and they liked it so much that they wanted their own copy.

Yeah.... stuff like that just kinda warms your heart a bit.

Krystal

Agree? Yes No

I think you would see more of those situations with more exposure to that kind of music. The only thing that's missing is for someone important to tell the youth of America that electronic music is cool. They'll buy anything as long as it's the "in thing". It could happen.
    Cheetah

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: there is hope for the youth of america.

Originally posted by KrystalWrists

So about an hour later the two girls came back and I asked them who the CD was for. It was for them!!! Turns out their choir teacher made them listen to it and they liked it so much that they wanted their own copy.

Yeah.... stuff like that just kinda warms your heart a bit.

Krystal

---That is Awesome!!! And just put the biggest smile on my face.

If they bought it cause they liked it, then they did it of their own free will. Not becuase it's the "In Thing".

Thanx for telling us about this, it makes me feel good that the originators like YAZ can still sell records and turn on the youth of today to great music.

Breye K. / Provision
    Section 44 Records
    Los Angeles Denver Houston
    http://www.section44.com

test

Agree? Yes No

I have played dM, iris, mesh, VNV Nation and Poe in my classroom on the last day of school. My kids have all liked the bands that I have played. I am planting the seeds in the minds of first graders.

Agree? Yes No

Way to go, Steph! Gotta get 'em started early, before they get all caught up in whatever the radio stations decide they should listen to.
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

Hehehehe.... the same exact way I was turned onto the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, just about every Jazz artist I love, and about a zillion other 60s and 70s act that made up the soundtrack of my youth...

It's wierd to hear Yaz treated as a "CLASSIC" I mean, legitimate, Upstairs at Eric's is about 20 years old, but still...

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Ah that is cool to hear. I liked some 80's songs when I was really young but was not big on music until I was about 11, and I got into the 80's. I got into DM when I was 12 (didn't like them for a while but then they grew on me; looking back I don't know why I didn't like them).
    M3L1B174

Agree? Yes No

Well, I saw a little girl with her parents (she must have been about 7) at the Duran concert in Santa Barbara. It was heartwarmning to see a Duranie that young!!
    We\'re no longer as thick as thieves

HOLD FAST

Agree? Yes No

There was a kid of maybe 10 or so (at most) on his dad's shoulders at the last VNV show I was at. Ronan called him out, too.
    \"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.\"
    - Homer Simpson

Agree? Yes No

This is a funny thread because, well...my husband and I talk about this all the time. We are so freaked out about what kids listen to these days. We are thoroughly convinced that the whole of society is culturally bereft, hence the buoyant careers of Nelly, Britney, P. Diddy, etc.,
    That said, we are raising our son on everything we listen to (David Bowie, Autechre, DM, Squarepusher, VNV, Ladytron, et al.,) and he loves it. He dances to DM and Japan, and he adores his father's music (which is all electronic too). So, there is indeed hope for future generations! I think that the mere incidence of procreational EGN members guarantees that!
    \"People say, You must have been the class clown. And I say, No, I wasn\'t. But I sat next to the class clown, and I studied him.\"

Agree? Yes No

I have used Midge Ure's "If I was" to teach the conditionals in my English class, and OMD's "Enola Gay" when talk of "the Bomb" comes up - and it Japan it always will.

My kids are heavily influenced by what I listen to. After Fischerspooner's "#1" came out, we were watching the DVD everyday. I burned out before they did. My two year old dances along. It's cool because we get to outvote Mom in the car playlist selection.
    A04 of SoundMine, self-proclaimed electromilitant

Thread Information