Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I got the new And One "Aggressor"..

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by conditioner
    well, that's fuccckin stupid. Unless you're not an And One fan, of course. But just because he sings in his native language, and doesn't want to speak the same language as George Bush? Yeah, that's really dumb. Unless you like Bush, then it all makes sense. Do you like Melotron?
    It's NOT because he's not singing in english. I have tons of non-english CD's. It's because of his statement of choosing not to sing in the language of the agressor. I took that as meaning not just Bush, but America in general. I guess i must just be "fuccckin stupid".

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NJOberheim

It's NOT because he's not singing in english. I have tons of non-english CD's. It's because of his statement of choosing not to sing in the language of the agressor. I took that as meaning not just Bush, but America in general. I guess i must just be "fuccckin stupid".
    It's a symbolic thing, like when the french fries were renamed freedom fries. He's taking a position on American as a nation, an entity on it's own, without going on the individual person level.

Agree? Yes No

I didn't call you fuccckin stupid. Just the idea of someone not ......oh, forget it.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by conditioner
    I didn't call you fuccckin stupid. Just the idea of someone not ......oh, forget it.
    I know what u meant Conditioner, I'm just giving you a hard time.

And One's statment just rubbed me the wrong way. I love the fact that they chose to sing the CD in German. My problem is why they decided to sing in German. And I don't feel like this cause I'm a Bush Lover (that doesnt sound quite right ). But because I'm an American.

I think their stuck now having to sing all their future releases in German. It would be hipocritical if they chose not to after making a statement like that.

Agree? Yes No

oberheim, you are the wind beneath my chicken wings.
    Maybe they could sing in Martian, next time.

Agree? Yes No

I just got Aggressor this weekend as well and have been enjoying it since. And One has a way of adding a musical whimsy to their work that just lights my fire.

I too was not very keen on And One's reasons for singing in German but decided the best thing to do was to be a true American -- a person who can easily accept other people's ideologies, politics, etc. even though they are not my own. Everyday I work, live and socialize with people that I disagree with on many levels, but it never really is a point of stress nor do I ever believe they should not have their say. It's what America is supposed to be about - freedom for all. So why should this be any different with music? If Steve feels this is important statement for him to make, then so be it. I'm not going to jump on an anti-American bandwagon because of it, but I'll certainly enjoy the new music.
    Just to keep you from danger, I am the law.
    WXJL Tonight Radio - electronix: cross-genre, cross-generation.

Agree? Yes No

Hmm, let me say this:

First, let me make it clear that I love Melotron, the new And One, and plenty of other bands that do not sing in English. But are you guys saying its wrong to NOT listen to a band because they do NOT sing in English??

I hate to say it but to some people, lyrics are just as important as the music. People like to sing along with a band. If a band is there singing in a language someone cannot understand, while you may enjoy the music, you may not enjoy not having a clue what the hell they are saying.

I dont think thats an elitist attitude or one thats ignorant. Its the listeners prefrence. Just like its your choice to buy the CD if they are singing in medieval English, shrug.

Many moons ago when Zoth Ommog was at its peak, I remember thinking to myself some of the bands are straining with the lyrics, why dont they just sing in German and save the trouble? A short time later some interview with XMTP came out and Sevren was going on how a band wont make it unless they are singing in English. Have times changed? Was he wrong? Or does having a few albums under your belt change that? Does it even matter?

And as for the comment about Japan: Japan had started aggression against its neighbors before the U.S. was involved anywhere ;p But yeah, if youre in Japan circa 1930s, due to the U.S.'s sanctions and issues against Japan, I suppose you could argue that the US was an aggressor of sorts against them. Where do you draw the line with what defines aggression?

Finally, as for the "Face the facts and deal with it" comment, and Im not trying to be rude here, but Im not the type of person who appreciates a generalization. My entire life, Ive never liked generalizations: All Americans are stupid, All Americans are aggressive, hell, all Americans are racists, all Americans hate Arabs, all Americans listen to country, etc etc. All sorts of stupid generalizations. I think the only time I am aggressive is when Im wrongly labeled or forced into a catergory before someone really gets to know me at all..

EDIT: I originally posted this to simply ask what And One's intent was with the new album. I think part of having a band is realizing that since your words and music will effect thousands of people, you have a responsibility of sorts with what you say and do. Politics ARE part of being a band. Its how you handle the politics and what you say, that will effect your friends. If And One feels that strongly about what the *American government* is doing, they could have: donated to a cause to help the people in Iraq, wrote a song specificly about their distaste with the situation, etc.

I think they went far in their "getting the point across" theme - not singing in English, the album title, no US tour, etc? Does that hurt the American government or does it really hurt the fans who want to see And One live? Or who want to hear the half English and half German lyrics? Im aware of my country's wrong doings. I have no quams hearing about it in songs. Believe me, I grew up on bands like Crass, Conflict, Dead Kennedys, etc so I know what can be said ;p With people in this country upset as is with things, the last they need is to see more isolation from even bands they enjoy.

And as I said, I absolutely love the new And One. But if they want to make a bold statement by marketing the album the way they are, then it shouldnt surprise the band or other fans if some other fans envoke their beliefs and refuse to buy the album for one reason or another. its ironic that while And One is making that statement, Laibach releases a kickass new Cds that talks about being friends with the American people (ok, so the song is in German lol) its awsome.

Lastly, I hate politics. I really do. I have my own beliefs and I absolute despise arguing them with others. That other thread about America really dragged out the worst in some people. Thats not what anyone needs. I read these forums to make friends and see interesting threads going; not anger fests :/ I hope that doesnt happen due to the disagreements in THIS thread.

Agree? Yes No

And One IS Touring the U.S.

Naghavi said so a couple weeks ago

Agree? Yes No

Good. I will be excited to see them. Im glad that at least was just a rumor.

Agree? Yes No

I personally think it would have been in Steve Naghavi's best interest to sing a number of the songs in english. I think And One has the potential to possibly break-out on a global level and it would have been easier to do so if there were a couple of english tracks. I'm sure And One sells a helluvalot more albums in their native Germany than the rest of the english speaking world (UK, North America, etc.). It would be interesting to find the ratio.

Naghavi's political stand may very well deter potential sales.
    \"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt. Well I’m better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I can’t compete with that.\"

Agree? Yes No

Seraphic,

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words.

I think everyone in this specific thread is cool and it won't turn into heated discussion. Unless, of course, Stelvin happens to pop his head into it.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Paradoxxx
    Not buying the album just 'cause it's not in english is as has been said before, plain stupid... unless one wants to hide behind the safety of his own language and shut himself off from the world. Diversity is a beautiful thing. Stagnation is not.
    Is not buying the And One cd becuase is isn't made available in America stupid? Cuz in all honesty... I think Melotron is going to make a big push to supercede And One stateside and I am all for it.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by PTInc

Is not buying the And One cd becuase is isn't made available in America stupid? Cuz in all honesty... I think Melotron is going to make a big push to supercede And One stateside and I am all for it.
    what the hell are you talking about?

Can you not find the cd near you? Because it's available all over the place. I like both Melotron and And One, personally. Two very different bands.

Agree? Yes No

And One and Melotron are one in the same in terms of sound and presence. Only difference is the varying comedic quality in some of And One's recent works.

And in my opinion, Melotron is really starting to make a big impression stateside due to their relationships with WTII and Metropolis Records. It seems that are interested in the fans over here... while And One isn't.

And unlike Human CLone... Im not about to fork over 25$ for any band's cd.

Agree? Yes No

I have ordered the new And One, haven't received it yet. I have never personally cared what language a band sings in, as long as it's good. I recently did an all German language band feature on my radio show. Played 4 hours great stuff by Prager Handgriff, Stendal Blast, Illuminate, Dracul, Kramm, Mantus, and some other great bands I can't recall at the moment. I gotta agree with some of these other posts, boycotting a band because they sing in German and oppose the U.S. Government's idiotic policies is like calling French Fries "Freedom Fries" because the French are smart enough to disgree with those same stupid U.S. Government policies. Funny how we want to bring democracy to the rest of the planet when we don't even like it if a band disagrees with our Government's policies! I thought the right to disagree was what Democracy was all about? If And One is making a political statement by singing in German, I'll give them a round of applause! More bands should be making political statements in times like these, if you ask me.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by DekaDude
    boycotting a band because they sing in German and oppose the U.S. Government's idiotic policies is like calling French Fries "Freedom Fries" because the French are smart enough to disgree with those same stupid U.S. Government policies.
    If only they were smart enough to use air conditioners. Haha... sigh.. bah nevermind

I thought the right to disagree was what Democracy was all about? If And One is making a political statement by singing in German, I'll give them a round of applause! More bands should be making political statements in times like these, if you ask me.
    Like Funker Vogt and their Canada Only Tour? Bah. I liked them a lot more when they sung about pussy.

Agree? Yes No

Let me just say that sometimes it is easier for a band to sing in their native language, especially when they wish to carry across the true meaning of their work, unless of course, they are so well versed in the altenative language that they wouldn't experience much difficulty!

I have met Naghavi on three ocassions over the years and let me just say his English is not that good! I had to end up speaking to him in my mediocre German, but he's still a nice bloke and has brilliant stage presence!

It is somewhat like Andy of Melotron (also very lovely in person) has said! That there came a point when they considered writing and singing in English, but why sing and write text in a language that they aren't so experienced with to end up looking like fools or rather just sing in their native tongue and get their true meaning out!

My point is that I believe And One has a translator to re-write German verse into English for past albums! I could be incorrect of course, but it is just my guess!

I have no problem supporting either band however, and in fact I adore them both and would gladly purchase their CD's and attend their concerts! It's about the music for me, not the politics, not the rumours, not the heresay!

Namárië!!

BE AT PEACE!

Tal`liynë
    \"You gave away your life\'s grace. I cannot protect you any more!\"

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by PTInc
    And One and Melotron are one in the same in terms of sound and presence. Only difference is the varying comedic quality in some of And One's recent works.

And in my opinion, Melotron is really starting to make a big impression stateside due to their relationships with WTII and Metropolis Records. It seems that are interested in the fans over here... while And One isn't.

And unlike Human CLone... Im not about to fork over 25$ for any band's cd.

you got to be ¤¤¤¤in kidding. Melotron is a technoey example of synthpop, where as And ONe uses completely different gear, produced by 1 guy, (thus the ORIGINAL sound), completely different lyrical flow. Melotron is much more light in it's sound. There are many different factors in this.

and PTINc-I've never heard you say anything good about anything, any band, prettty much everything you say is horse¤¤¤¤. I'm not trying to start a dramatic thread, I just can't stand people who write and come across as such an egotistical ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ and think there views are the friggin kings chorus. I know people have different views. GREAT. I love that! But have a fucckkin beer and chill out. Take a walk-get some sunshine.
    I don't know....just my opinion. lighten up

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Human Clone
    [b]I personally think it would have been in Steve Naghavi's best interest to sing a number of the songs in english. I think And One has the potential to possibly break-out on a global level and it would have been easier to do so if there were a couple of english tracks[b]
    I said this same thing from the start, amongst other things.. I still refuse, taking into consideration all of the pro/con arguments, to pay one cent of my hard earned money to support Naghavi's political stance/idealism. Sorry. I still find it sickening that some of you are paying $20-$30 to support this new album.

All due respect and props to Olmek for his intelligent and witty retorts.

I'll reiterate: I AM an And One fan..from I.S.T to Virgin -- but this new album won't be supported by me, ever.

Agree? Yes No

I'll reiterate: I AM an And One fan..from I.S.T to Virgin -- but this new album won't be supported by me, ever.

WHY? if you don't like his political stance, why are you a fan at all. He's touring america-he loves his fans-HE JUST HATES BUSH!!
    WE ALL SHOULD. GOD LOVE THE TROOPS, FUCCCK OUR REGIME!

Thread Information