Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Synthpop Group MODyssey!!!

Agree? Yes No

Default New Synthpop Group MODyssey!!!

Hi guys and gals, I just wanted to take a second and tell you all about a new synthpop group I discovered yesterday called MODyssey...They are a two member group of siblings by the name of Doug and James Bell, and hail from San Diego California...They're musical sound is very similar to that of early Anything Box, Red Flag, Cause & Effect, and a huge list of others we've all become fond of...

Please drop by their www.mp3.com/modyssey page and give their work a listen...I can definately say these guys have potential to become something big...As a plus, they use nothing but an assortment of analog synths and equipment to compose and record, so for all you old school enthusiasts like me, you'll fall in love right away!!!

Their debut independant album No Forbidden Connections is tentatively slated for a December release...I've also taken the liberty of contacting and inviting the band to join us all here at the EGN, hopefully they will do so, Doug and James are two of the friendliest, courtious people I've met in a long time

Heres To Some New Tunes!!!

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

Thanks, Dan! "Moonlight" was the best sounding track to me. Very definitely old school...reminded me most of early Abox, not really RF. I hope you do get Doug and James to join and put their tunes up here too.
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

No problem Kathy, glad I could lend a hand and spread the word about a new band, especially one this good

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

Hey 7red7, I'm up here now, just wanted to say thanks for the plugs, and when I get home, I'll look into how to post our tracks here and all that good stuff. Hope you guys and gals like the music.

Thanks,

Doug
    \"There are no forbidden connections\"

-Roland Synthesizer Model 101 Manual

Agree? Yes No

These guys rock!!!!! Oh man, you have no idea how long it's been since a group's music put a smile on my face. They do have that good old tried and true sound unlike most of the thin synthpop made today. Thank you 7RED7!!!!!

Techpo

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by TECHPO12
    These guys rock!!!!! Oh man, you have no idea how long it's been since a group's music put a smile on my face. They do have that good old tried and true sound unlike most of the thin synthpop made today. Thank you 7RED7!!!!!

Techpo
    Thanks Techpo! I appreciate that. Just out of curiosity, which song did you like the most, and why? I always like to get detailed feedback about our tracks.

Thanks!

MODyssey

Agree? Yes No

MP3.com and my pc haven't been getting along ever since I loaded IE 6.. but I'll look out for tracks to go up here. Just from Dan's description, this sounds like a band to watch out for.
    Nearly 700 of my reviews of various synthpop-related releases hosted by:
    www.synthpop.net

Agree? Yes No

I really liked "I know Goodbye". The singer has a kinda Red Flag type singing style. I'm curious as to what analog gear this group uses. MODyssey please list your gear and is it just you and your bro?

Techpo

Agree? Yes No

That's my brother James singin', and yup, it's just the two of us. I write it, and he sings it. Nice and simple. Here's a list of our current setup:

Prophet 5 Rev3.3 w/MIDI
    Jupiter 8 w/Kenton MIDI
    Oberheim TVS-1 (Two Voice)
    Roland System 100 models 101 & 102
    Roland SH-1
    Yamaha CS-5
    Sequential Pro One
    ARP Odyssey (white faced 2800, patched out by CMS so it's semi-MODular) - hence the name MODyssey

I control everything with an Encore Expressionist MIDI/CV converter, and record in Cubase.

Thanks again for the kind words. "I Know Goodbye" is probably the most personal song I've written. We're getting together to work on a new track this weekend, and I've written to the powers that be to get our stuff up here, so I'm waiting to see what happens.

Agree? Yes No

MODyssey man you DO have nice gear! How long did it take you to aquire all those vintage gems? Anyways thanks for the info. Keep up the good work, it sounds awesome and is sorely needed. Just curious what's your favorite piece of gear. Sad to say I've never played on a single piece of gear you own and even more sad, I've never even seen in person any of those pieces of gear.

Techpo

Agree? Yes No

I love my synths. They're like my other kids. I'm a single dad, so they're the step-children, and I love them just as much (almost)...man...my favorite synth I own...that's a tough one. I've been collecting them for about 3 years, and all total, I've probably dumped over ten grand into them, but I've owned a lot of others and sold them for various reasons over the years. I like the fact that each one of these boards sounds different when you compare them to one another. My most recent addition is the Jupiter 8, and I LOVE that synth...hmmm...Okay, let's see, the CS-5 saved my life, literally, when I got caught up in the riot that happened in March of 90 when Depeche did the Violator instore...long story...the SH-1 is the cutest damn synth I have...but I would have to say that the synth I turn to the most often would have to be the System 100. It's got great filters, a great ring mod and S/H. I would say that the Prophet 5 is a close second because it's just one of the best synths ever built.

Agree? Yes No

HA HA HA!!! Awesome to see you made it aboard Doug!!! And hey, nice avatar might I add...I love that movie

Hey Techpo, I've seen the pictures of his gear, and all I can say is...*Homer Simpson voice* MMmmmm Syyyyyynths....*drool* Like I told him earlier...I'm jealous, oh so jealous-he he he!!!

DAN

Agree? Yes No

Thanks to all of you out there listening to MODyssey and taking the time to share with this forum. I've joined the Electrogarden club now, so now I can communicate back to you all. It's a real honor for me to be a part of a sound that people enjoy listening to. I hope we can continue to add a little spice to your stereo speakers! 7red7, you are too kind. TECHPO12, that goes for you too. Always way cool to get a positive reaction from strangers! And the good news, strangers is no longer an accurate description! Nice to meet you all.

Peace,
    James
    Let me hear you make decisions
    Without your television

Agree? Yes No

Great music. my favorite of the 3 tracks is "I Know Goodbye". Very Catchy and good lyrics. Can't wait to hear more form them. Thanks for the info.
    If You Don\'t know, Now You Know.
    www.myspace.com/d3lions

Agree? Yes No

James, it's great to have you aboard as well, welcome!!! I just showed my friend and fellow musical partner in crime Mike your stuff tongiht, and he flipped over I Know Goodbye!!!

Keep On Rockin!!!

DAN

Agree? Yes No

Hey Doug and James!!! I really enjoyed hearing your music!!! My favorite track of the three was "Moonlight". That's a GREAT song to dance to, or in my case, exercise to. I really dig the beat, vocals and your choice of instruments in that one. Very cool. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you guys in the coming months. Best of luck to you both. Take care.

Good call as usual Dan (the Man)!!! Thanks buddy!!!
    Cheetah

Agree? Yes No

Hello all,

MODyssey will be in the studio tonight to begin working on the new track, which we will hopefully have available soon.

Hey Cheetah, glad you like the tunes. Moonlight happens to be my favorite as well, so it's cool to hear you like that one most. I think Across the Distance is our best song overall, but Moonlight makes me want to jump. I Know Goodbye, well that's the song for the wounded spirit. Doug showed me those lyrics at a time when I was knee deep in break-up misery, and I couldn't wait to sing it. I always think to myself it's probably the same way Dave Gahan must have felt when Martin Gore wrote Condemnation.

Take care all,
    James
    Let me hear you make decisions
    Without your television

Agree? Yes No

Default EXCELLENT TRACKS!

Hi guys!

I just finished listening to your tunes. Great! I especially like Moonlight although all three are good. I hope they will show up on your CD.

I think you sound a little like NEUROPA which is one of my fave Synthpop groups.

Keep it up and for sure add me to your email list so I'll know when I can order the CD.

It's always cool to find a new group to support in the Synthpop scene. I'm very much into the 80's style of synthpop so you guys will fit right in with the rest of my stuff!

ERIC 31

Agree? Yes No

Default A Quick Update

Tonight's session has been very productive. We have the first verse through the chorus written both vocally and musically for our next track, and we're both in that stage of "Oh my God! Did we write that???".

We'll have more details as the track takes shape, but we can tell you that we've both agreed on the title:

"Forever, If You Let Me"

MODyssey

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: A Quick Update

Originally posted by MODyssey
    Tonight's session has been very productive. We have the first verse through the chorus written both vocally and musically for our next track, and we're both in that stage of "Oh my God! Did we write that???".

We'll have more details as the track takes shape, but we can tell you that we've both agreed on the title:

"Forever, If You Let Me"

MODyssey

Awesome news!!! I know I can't wait to hear this new one!!!

DAN

Thread Information