Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Electronic Print Magazine

Agree? Yes No

Sounds excellent!! Great job....i will be subscribing....let us know when it's available...
    ...the revolution will be synthesized...

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Todd Durrant

You have to be able to count on subscriptions to cover your costs. Getting advertisers is difficult, and the perceived value of print ads is very low in the eyes of the independent music industry (there is little reason to believe anybody would be a CD because of a printed advertisement unless the band is already famous). You could sell ad space only if it were relative on the cheap, since indie labels don't have money to pay for big ads. Their ads would be more of a "contribution" than anything else.
    I just took a gander through a few month old issue of Outburn and was shocked at the amount of independent label ads there were. Tons ... I have no idea what they charged of course. Many industrial and goth labels of course. I thought pretty much how you did Todd. That labels wouldn't be too interested.

Agree? Yes No

If you tap heavily into club culture maybe??? ehh... I'm trying to visualize who would buy this that ISN'T an EGN geek Pricing ad space will be an issue if you plan on going both after "conventional" vs. "independant". It's two disparrate demographics that choose not to inhabit the same space because they make assumptions about it value based on the other's presence.

If you can find a healthy balance that would be cool.. again, good luck, I'll be looking forward to watching this (*knock wood*) grow into a reality for you guys!

Dave

Originally posted by KissTheStar

yes and yes.

This will magazine will not only cover the music but also the culture. We will not only look to record labels for ad space but to conventional ads as well ... ie liquor, retail etc as an example ...

Here is a copy of Megs release regarding our magazine from another thread here at the Electrogarden.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and so it has begun .... "Electro*Culture Magazine"

KMA Enterprises are bringing a long talked about passion to life. Some of you may have seen a thread regarding the possibilty of a new Electronic Music Print Magazine, in the same quality of a Rolling Stone or Spin Magazine. Based on the response and the fact that we want to bring this to life not only for the fans, but for ourselves, it has begun!!!!!

Electro*Culture Magazine is born!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be the Managing Editor and Craig will be the Publisher. We are currently in beginning stages of assembling a staff. We are on the lookout for feature writers, reviewers and photographers, preferably with experience. We will also accept free-lance contributions on a case-by-case basis (with the caviot that the submission upon acceptance will become the property of Electro-Culture Magazine and not be re-printed or published on the web). Very shortly we will be assembling a sales staff as well. Anyone who is interested may contact us at contact@kissthestar.com

The magazine will not only deal with Electronic Music, but also the culture behind it. Sections will include music features and interviews, reviews, fashion, art, books, movies, people, DJ's/Clubs, hotspots and trends. Anything else relating to the Electro Culture is also fair game.

Feel free to send us any feedback, ideas or encouragement !

Meg and Craig
    KMA Enterprises
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by cliffwalk
    If you tap heavily into club culture maybe??? ehh... I'm trying to visualize who would buy this that ISN'T an EGN geek Pricing ad space will be an issue if you plan on going both after "conventional" vs. "independant". It's two disparrate demographics that choose not to inhabit the same space because they make assumptions about it value based on the other's presence.

If you can find a healthy balance that would be cool.. again, good luck, I'll be looking forward to watching this (*knock wood*) grow into a reality for you guys!

Dave

Actually we are not targeting the EGN crowd per se ... although they are a segment of the intended audience. We are hoping to bring in the same people who are making The Postal Service, The Dandy Warhols, Fischerspooner, etc have a prominent presence on the shelves at Tower Records.

Meg and I spent a good deal of time last week walking around the Tower Records near us and were surprised at the prominant placing many "Electronic" bands are starting to get ... We went through the magazine racks ... and the only other Magazine to ever scratch the surface was Industrial Nation and I was not bowled over by the product.

Our thoughts are to bring to light the culture, which would encompass the Club Culture as well as the Techno, Trance/Rave crowd ... It may be a big risk and we don't have any dillusions of grandeur. We are doing this as much for ourselves as for making a "success". It's something we both love and maybe that passion can turn a good product and get some people interested! I would imagine the 15-30 demographic is what we are shooting for ...

I am sure our vision will narrow and we will get closer to the brass tacks as our market research deepens.

Agree? Yes No

You have a great attitude with this...
    Good LUCK..
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

labels are about all the ads you will get.... you wont get any from the liquor industry because they will see the number of subscriptions you sell and see that its not many and they wont want to spend the money

starting out getting ads will be close to impossible because you wont have any way of showing them what result they will get from putting an ad in your magazine

maybe instead of making Rolling Stone your example (unless you know how it started in its first year) you should make a smaller mag your example... i could send you some pretty successful magazines from here in Texas... but granted they are free for anyone to have but they do offer a pay subscription rate if you want it delivered right to your house and they make their money off of ads and all of their ads are from local companies... they have been able to make enough money to upgrade to glossy pages and its rather nice now

starting off like Rolling Stone might be hard because i doubt you will be able to get huge distribution right off the bat, but i could be wrong... i'd personally start off small to test the waters

but like i said in the other post (wherever that went) that i will send reviews for you to use (or not use) on a freelance basis

Agree? Yes No

All I buy right now is Future Music, Keyboard Magazine, Outburn, and Industrial Nation. And I obsess on those mags every time they come out -- and I still feel like I just can't get enough SYNTH culture.

So yeah! Please! Hook it up, yo!
    -- EPH3KT http://www.mp3.com/ephekt
    EBM :: TECHPOP :: SYNTHPOP :: IDM ::
    for updates join our yahoogroup @ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EPHEKT/

Agree? Yes No

make it like alternative press and emphasize the cultural aspect. no 14 year old kid is going to care about your gear, they want to be excited and feel like they've tapped into something that their friends aren't cool enough to hear about first.

NO TALK OF DEPECHE MODE, ERASURE, PSB.

Focus on bands who use keys in different ways and how they push the sounds image wise as well as music wise. Don't make it a gearhead mag for that will kill you immediately.
    please don\'t deny the right to be famous...
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Mystic Underground
    http://www.themysticunderground.com
    http://www.myspace.com/themysticunderground
    Under The Clearest Moon EP - March 2006 on Stereosonic Recordings

Lead ElectroGardener Bornslippy's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

looking forward to subscribing.... I enjoyed the OING zine.
    \"don\'t tell me, don\'t tell me, Depeche Mode right, yeahhh I like his stuff. Keep it up.

Simon Lebon of Duran Duran

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Vladimir Valette
    make it like alternative press and emphasize the cultural aspect. no 14 year old kid is going to care about your gear, they want to be excited and feel like they've tapped into something that their friends aren't cool enough to hear about first.

NO TALK OF DEPECHE MODE, ERASURE, PSB.

Focus on bands who use keys in different ways and how they push the sounds image wise as well as music wise. Don't make it a gearhead mag for that will kill you immediately.
    these are wise words... give it atleast a BIT of an underground feel... if it feels too "sponsored" it will definately fall on a small and rather bgoring audience.

dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

well you gotta put D Mode or Erasure or PSB on the cover so you can sell magazines on the newsstand, that's just the way it is.
    But that doesn't mean that inside all you have are top 40 bands...

Agree? Yes No

no you don't, that kind of thinking is a copout and an crutch. you reap what you sow and if you put those bands on the covers all the time and give them top billing then don't complain when your readership is comprised mostly of 80s afficionados.
    the truth whether you want to accept it or not is that those bands are not known outside of maybe one song each to someone who is seventeen right now. focus on the new bands like the faint, i am milemarker, soviet, alpinestars and the like and keep people abreast of the new offerings by the classic bands. keep things new and fresh but relying on the standby bands for readership will lead to an early demise.

deny it all you want.
    please don\'t deny the right to be famous...
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Mystic Underground
    http://www.themysticunderground.com
    http://www.myspace.com/themysticunderground
    Under The Clearest Moon EP - March 2006 on Stereosonic Recordings

Agree? Yes No

Best of luck to the venture Craig and Meg. If your enthusiasm is any sign, you'll manage to make it work somehow. Write me up as a subscriber.

'Ripper
    A Modern Effigy (website)

Thread Information