Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need some red flag c.d. advice

Agree? Yes No

Default need some red flag c.d. advice

ok ,
    i started listening to red flag geeesh...i know at least over 10 years ago.the first album that i purchased was the infamous naive, the second album that i purchased was naive "dance" the remix album. a couple years back i was digging through some random c.d.s at a used c.d. store and was lucky enough to find the "machines" remix single (that i absolutely loved) .about a year ago red flag came back to mind and i was curious to see if there was anything else out there and did a search on half.com and found a c.d. called "fear of a red planet" which i feel to be the best of what i had ever heard from this great band. i liked the way they had changed there approach to synthpop & i really like the dark undertones of there new style..is this just something that the band had just started? after more research i have found there to be at least 8 c.d.s . what i really need to know here is what albums are there best work? and what other albums did they make that sound more like the fear of a red planet album...all help is appreciated, i would like to buy more red flag albums...thx!!
    allways remember to cover your eyes,cover your mouth,cover your ears in case the word of the lord should cause & effect this razamatazz is final.....

test

Agree? Yes No

I just discovered Red Flag this year after Mark's death. My favorite album is Fear of a Red Planet. It's an incredible album! I too like the darker sound and the darker direction that they took. I would recommend The Crypt, The Bitter End, and Codebreaker T133. Those are the "darker" albums. I didn't like Codebreaker at all when I first heard it, but that was before I had heard all of the RF catalog. You should pick up the albums that I listed and listen to them in order of release. The Crypt came before Fear, then the Bitter End and finally Codebreaker. The band did release a cd in between Bitter and Codebreaker. It's called Who Are the Skulls. It's a remix album. It's good, but pick up the other albums before that one.

I would also recommend that you pick up their "lighter" sounding albums as well. They are:

The Lighthouse
    Caveat Emptor
    The Eagle and Child

Those are the releases in order after Naive Art. I do recommend the albums, but I prefer the "darker" sound. If you do pick up The Lighthouse, listen to it with headphones on. Mark's voice is difficult to hear on a normal stereo. The album, I think is perfect for headphones and unwinding. I do love that album!

Here are the RF releases, minus the singles:

Naive Art
    The Lighthouse
    Caveat Emptor
    The Eagle and Child
    The Crypt
    Fear of a Red Planet
    The Bitter End
    Who Are the Skulls? (remix cd)
    Codebreaker T133

Megablack Box set (10 cds, 8 singles and 2 albums. I know one is The Eagle and Child. I think the other is The Crypt, but I don't remember. The Machines EP is in this box set if I remember correctly.)

Fear of a Red Planet Box set (10 cds, I know the Fear cd is in the box set, as well as some singles, but I don't know the specifics)

I hope that I have helped you a bit.

Agree? Yes No

Heh, I took so long to write my (original) post, someone else beat me to it

You should know that all of Red Flag's material except for maybe the Naive Art Special Edition is now out of print due to the demise of RF's record label (Plan B Records) this spring. Their (CD) discography in chronological order is as follows (others may feel free to correct me if I forgot something, because RF put out a LOT of material...)

Naive Art
    Naive Dance
    Machines (single)
    The Lighthouse
    EP
    Caveat Emptor
    Black Christmas (single)
    The Eagle and Child
    The Crypt
    Megablack (box set)
    Naive Art Special Edition
    Fear Of A Red Planet
    Fear Series (box set)
    Black Christmas (2001 single)
    The Bitter End
    Who Are The Skulls?
    Codebreaker T133

Their sound varies from album to album, but the really dark sounds started with The Crypt (which I'd recommend you getting if you enjoyed Fear of a Red Planet). The Bitter End is more somber (slow) and dark because it was written around the time of 9/11 and it shows in the music. Codebreaker T133 has more of an industrial influence (there's some tracks from that album here on EGN you can listen to). The Who are the Skulls CD is a collection of RF remixes by other artists. There's also a couple of remix tracks here on EGN from that album if you're curious.

If you are curious about the works between Machines and Crypt, Lighthouse is their only foray into ambient synthpop. The other three albums have the lighter sound of Naive Art, but much less "discoish".

There were some rare vinyls that came out in the Naive Art days (late 80s) featuring singles and remixes of tracks. Also Red Flag were originally known as Shades of May, and their first song was on a comp vinyl called "Local Heroes" which came out in 1984. And if that's not enough, the band was selling some downloadable tracks on their website called Digital Produkt, and some of the tracks now can't be found anywhere because they were not released to CDs before the events this spring. Hope this helps. Sorry about the long post, the rest of you know I loooooove Red Flag!
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

If you like the darker stuff, get The Crypt next...It's their darkest, most depressing album to date for me...Also my least favorite, but hey I'm a sucker for the old school stuff myself...To each his/her own though

HAPPY LISTENING!!!

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

If you want the "Darker" Red Flag stuff, you have to get "The Crypt" & "The Bitter End". I love the "darker" RF stuff. The Megablack Box Set features extended mixes from The "Eagle & Child" & "The Crypt" CDs, as well as including those CDs in the actual box set as well. Also, the "Fear Series" box set is highly recommended, and features all the extended singles from "Fear of A Red Planet", as wel, as the actual "Fear" CD in the box set. These box sets also have some great CDs in them found nowhere else, including "Prelude To A Disc" megamix CD, and the "Spider & The Astronaut" story CD.

Agree? Yes No

As I always say, Fear of A Red Planet is very awesome. I feel it is the perfect harmony between the lighter releases like Eagle and Child and the darker Crypt.
    Can you feel the satin sea
    So deeply blue, inside of me ~Diary of Dreams

Agree? Yes No

get them all!!!

if you thought fear of a red planet was great, then you understood what they showed to the world. they're absolutely awesome and there's not a 'more or less' album.

some people may think they're a poor band, but i never felt such love...
    hear no evil -monkey 1 says you shouldn\'t hear it-
    see no evil -money 2 says you shouldn\'t see it-
    speak no evil -monkey 3 says you shouldn\'t speak it-

Lead ElectroGardener Bornslippy's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Fear of a Red Planet, this is one of those albums that slowly will grow onto me... I just got it the other day.. This is a strange strange record mate.. But I dig the weirdness l.o.l... I do like "on the highway" though a lot....

I'd say get

The Crypt
    Eagle and Child
    Caveat Emptor
    The Bitter End
    Fear of a Red Planet
    The Lighthouse

but b4 you buy all these in sequence..

get Naive ARt first, Special Edition..
    \"don\'t tell me, don\'t tell me, Depeche Mode right, yeahhh I like his stuff. Keep it up.

Simon Lebon of Duran Duran

Agree? Yes No

What did you find strange about it, Mark? Just curious...
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

Lead ElectroGardener Bornslippy's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by labrat
    What did you find strange about it, Mark? Just curious...
    well, for example. The song "fear of the red planet" is one of the most obscure songs I've heard... The other night I was listening to it and I didnt know whether I was in Heaven or Hell... If I hear "live fast die pretty" I swear to you I'm goingto slash my wrist.

Actually if I hear the whole entire record once more, I'm going to pierce my lips, die my hair jet blue, and put white make up on...

I do luv the intro and drums on "I am the wind."
    \"don\'t tell me, don\'t tell me, Depeche Mode right, yeahhh I like his stuff. Keep it up.

Simon Lebon of Duran Duran

Agree? Yes No

Ha ha ha, well, it *is* a pretty goth sounding album. That's OK if it's not your cup of tea. I thought the title track was about what it was like to live in a communist society and a desire to escape from it. Someone else posted one time about how they couldn't stand to listen to "Live Fast Die Pretty" as well. That track doesn't bother me too much, but I find myself skipping "Spiders Waltz" at times.

Agree? Yes No

Alejo's right. Get 'em all. For the most part, I think all of us were drawn to Red Flag by Marks somewhat melancholy voice. You learn to appreciate each album differently. Lighthouse- you can gaze at the stars and hold someone, Naive-Dance of course, Crypt-When your mad at the world, Fear-when you either prowess or sad, Bitter-Relax, Eagle-Love, Emptor-I dunno but I get goose bumps every single time I listen to "Alive", Code breaker-album you listen to really loud and make everyone look at you like your weird. also to dance to.
    I don't know about you guys but I cannot get enough of "Mathematics of Tears" or "Inner Sea" I burned a cd with those two tracks just to repeat them in my truck. They both make me sad. I've never cried to music before I heard Red Flag. Now I feel so emotional towards anything. I'm mostly sad, which isn't too good. I don't know if you guys like female fronted bands...but if you do....Love Spirals Downwards is one group you should listen to...I have this track she sung in spanish I dont know the name, but It made me cry. for the first time another artists made me cry other than RF. They are acoustic ambient with deeply melancholic vocals. if youre interested go to www.lovespiralsdownwards.com I downloaded that spanish song from god knows where...I dont even think its on their albums..sheesh...Oh & I dont even know spanish..She sings so well....at least to me.

"Sleep my love...sleep my dear..." Just an awesome song...lengthy too! Love those 6-12 minute tracks...

I don't understand how someone could listen to such artists like radiohead and coldplay but not like RF...I've tried to introduce them to so many people, but its just not in their blood I guess...or theyre just stubborn. ok I need to end this post. goodbye!

Agree? Yes No

Well put sargonic. If I were to put an emotion to Caveat I would probably put dreamy.

I think the reason why I like Fear of a Red Planet is simply because of the balance between emotions. On the Highway offers a wonderful sense of escape where as songs like I am the Wind takes us to the mystical and surreal. Then just add the power of sorrow and love with Mathmatics of Tears and I Love You to Death...it is so powerful.. I could go on and on

Agree? Yes No

That's Perfect....Dreamy...yep

Agree? Yes No

Everyone have already written everything necessary...
    I wont add anything, but I can recommend no other album than THE CRYPT. TC was the first album I heard with Red Flag and you wont believe how fascinated I were back then. Red Flag was THE BAND that year.... (or whenever it was). I were in heaven.
    Heaven in medias res was ....I can't describe it. An unearthly feeling filled me when I heard it.

The crypt has everything I want from a band, wonderful vocals, music that creep under you skin and makes you shiver. It's really something extra. I were so in love. And still am.
    The crypt for you to love. forever.

My love has died and they have lied. There is no heaven.(oh yes...)

Christina

Agree? Yes No

I think "The Crypt" is my favorite, overall, too...

The day I bought it we listened to it as I drove my wife to a bed & breakfast in a distant town for our anniversary. We listened to it over and over. Listening to it now still reminds me of that.

But I really don't think that's why it's my favorite - I guess I just mentioned that because it reminded me of it again. I just love more songs on that album than any other, I guess...

Agree? Yes No

Strikerpro31 let us know what you end up getting and what if anything you need. If you can't find something I am sure one of us will somehow...

Agree? Yes No

sargonic's words makes me realize why i'm always so excited about coming to the forum. it's like a dream to see that there really are people who understand the beauty in his voice.
    i was never so high ever in my life.
    and you're right, inner sea exploding at the beggining, the mathematics of tears arrengements, my terrible english, em...no, no. no.

about the coldplay thing, i couldn't agree more. the best band of the world? the greatest sense of sensibilty? maybe we like the underground thing about red flag although i'd be happy to have the chance to buy their cds here, or see some video clip. at least one!!!
    a video of him....

i'll try to find that band, if you understand red flag that much.....

i just can't believe that i won't ever going to hear a new song with his absolutely prfect voice.
    i try to keep feeling fine while i wrtie but i can't help the sadness, it's like i can never really express my self, i have to end the post.
    hear no evil -monkey 1 says you shouldn\'t hear it-
    see no evil -money 2 says you shouldn\'t see it-
    speak no evil -monkey 3 says you shouldn\'t speak it-

Agree? Yes No

well guys, i have read all of your posts and i really appreciate all of your help. i have allready made 1 purchase due to most of your responses and it was the crypt. i have listened to it non stop since i bought it and i must admit that it is a great album. i think i would tend to lean a little more to fear of a red planet as being a little better of an album(more upbeat tracks which i prefer) but the crypt is great as well. i have 2 more albums on order and will be looking forward to getting those . it seems as if red flag is just one of those bands that you could buy just about anything from and never be dissapointed. there arent too many bands out there like that. its actually quite strange to me that this band continued to put out albums since naive cause i thought that they had folded .i have been listening to synth and electronic music since i was 14 years old(1985) . i wish the i-net had been here much longer so that i could have been keeping up with this great band, thanks again guys!!!!
    allways remember to cover your eyes,cover your mouth,cover your ears in case the word of the lord should cause & effect this razamatazz is final.....

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by strikerpro31
    i have allready made 1 purchase due to most of your responses and it was the crypt. i have listened to it non stop since i bought it and i must admit that it is a great album. i think i would tend to lean a little more to fear of a red planet as being a little better of an album(more upbeat tracks which i prefer) but the crypt is great as well.
    That's a great choise. The more you listen to it, the more you'' love it, I promise. It's a perfect album.

Christina

Thread Information