Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: what will be the next big trend in electronic musical instruments?

Agree? Yes No

Wetware implants that can directly record any sound you can think of from your brain. This might actually be possible by some of the current technologies in the fields of medicine. Brainwaves can already be recorded, it's just a matter of figuring out which brain waves are the ones that have to do with sound.

Could you imagine how great it would be to just record a song by "listening" to it in your head?

Thats where another innovation will be.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by dxtc

If you took an accordion sound, ran it through an OD pedal, and manipulated the result with a resonant lowpass filter and warm reverb, you might get something like the JP8000's SuperSaw waveform-- the one found on virtually every commercial "anthem" type trance release nowadays (DJ Sammy, Ian Van Dahl, etc.).

But then again, you could just get the JP8000 and use it for something other than a genre that's on its last 30 seconds of its Warholian fifteen minutes of fame. Even BT, the co-founder of modern trance, has moved on.

Don't get me wrong; there are several classic trance pieces (by the aforementioned BT, Paul van Dyk, Guardians Of The Earth, and a select few others). But they're getting fewer and further between, and the ubiquitous (and usually horridly-megamixed) commercial trance compilations have cheapened the genre.

--Edgar
    I was making a joke. It's my dry humor.

Agree? Yes No

I actually got the joke. (I dig Britcoms, which are often the epitome of dry humor.)

Wouldn't it be hilarious to hear a Polkatrance remix of Weird Al Yankovic medleys?
    I can see the tracklisting now...
    "Like A Surgeon" (Paul Oakenfold 3AM Anthem Mix)
    "Another One Rides The Bus" (Ferry Corsten Greyhound Cross-Country Club Mix)

Anyway, I'm still sticking to my comments on the state of trance nowadays. I loved it between 1996 and 1999. Now it's become the same-old same-old. Luckily, this game me a chance to rediscover the synthpop scene. (I may start a thread about that...)

--Edgar

Agree? Yes No

LOL! Classic. Al Yankotrance...

Yeah, 96 to 99 was the best.

Agree? Yes No

mongoloid electro pop from mars
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

bands that sound like droom

Agree? Yes No

Mongoloid Electro Pop from Mars?...
    Bands that sound like Droom.

...What the...?

Okay, I think I get it. This is the $20,000 Pyramid, right?

"You have 30 seconds... GO!"

"The Echoing Green... Provision... Cosmicity... Apoptygma Berzerk..."

Bands that won't get noticed by American mainstream radio because they ACTUALLY HAVE TALENT?!?

heh heh...
    Edgar / RE:Active
    http://www.dxtcmusic.com

Agree? Yes No

Will all the technological advances in sound synthesis really be apparent to the average listener, not just techno prodigies listen to the works of musicians..there are many with untrained ears, so what does it matter if the furure is stagnant...?

im not nihilistic or pessemistic about all this i just dont have enough time to explain myself thoroughly...my opinions are very multifaceted (sp?), but in time i explain my outlook on all the deviations this thread has taken...all very poignant and interesting...

i think the next big think in electronic instruments will be playing them unplugged...or ones made out of chocolate...

...or what about a machine that makes animals out of music (or vice versa i suppose) like the one in that philip k dick short story?
    the music will blind you

Agree? Yes No

I think EBM will break main stream in the UK as its starting to filter into mainstream DANCE/TRANCE clubs. Hard House Clubs now have ubergoths playing intros from APOP,A23,Covenant to hard house beats...Quite intresting if your pilled up and drunk.

or Eletro Fetish Music EFM a term whicime giveing to these mad techno-acid-industrial tracks with some fetish themed vocal content as the fetish scene in the UK is massive.
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Kirlian Blue
    I think EBM will break main stream in the UK as its starting to filter into mainstream DANCE/TRANCE clubs. Hard House Clubs now have ubergoths playing intros from APOP,A23,Covenant to hard house beats...Quite intresting if your pilled up and drunk.

or Eletro Fetish Music EFM a term whicime giveing to these mad techno-acid-industrial tracks with some fetish themed vocal content as the fetish scene in the UK is massive.
    You might just be right, Kirlian Blue. Take the intro part of the album version of APop's "Suffer In Silence", lay it on top of a hard-house loop, and watch the floor fill.

(A side note: I vastly prefer the album version of that song to the single version. The guitar line in the single version sounds like so many dying cows. Just my humble opinion.)

Agree? Yes No

Technology and music are not mutually exclusive at all, quite the opposite; Technology is inherent to electronic music.
    There is no separating them.

On the other thread;
    There are existing products that use VSTs on a host hardware DSP box both in the development chain and in presales.

There are also people/companies that manufacture new analogues, quite a few actually.

Examples of both can be gleaned from here:
    http://www.thirdwavecollective.com/directory.asp?cat=56

Completely musical use of granular synthesis:
    Angelina
    http://bigtick.pastnotecut.org/index...PROD&pcode=130

Same idea could apply to anything.

I use straight granular all the time, great way to recontextualize things; vocals, beats, synth lines, noise, anything. Just gotta play with it til it sounds cool and works with the track, like anything else.
    !J!
    http://www.endif.org
    http://thirdwavecollective.com

Thread Information