Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode vs. Iris??? What????

Agree? Yes No

Post Depeche Mode vs. Iris??? What????

I'm fairly new to EG and I'm a big fan of DM. but, then I hear of IRIS. I see that everyone compares IRIS to DM. Well, DM is not DM unless all 4 members are together. Dave, Martin, Fletch (yes, even him), and ALAN.

To me, the best album DM had (since Alan's departure) is ULTRA. Exciter was horrible!!!

I know David & martin have solo Albums. They are ok. David is not a great writer, but I like his approach. Martin... well....he is not a great writer, but his contributions to DM are a major reason for DM's success. ALAN? Well, DM is not the same. I honestly believe ALAN carried the band "Musically". Every band needs an ALAN WILDER.

FLETCH????? What did he do again??? I really don't know what the heck he did in the studio. In concerts ...Well he just waives his hands, moving left to right.. Once in a while played a note.

Now fans are talking about IRIS. The next DM (or even better?).
    I don't know about better, but they are the best band around NOW. Iris music reminds me a lot of that of DM's of the late 80's early 90's. Is IRIS here to replace DM or to satisfy the hunger that was left by DM's music?

I just went and got IRIS "Disconnect". I have to admit is damn good. I don't know if IRIS is better than DM, but I do admit they are good. IRIS has their own catchy sound. It will grab you and little by little will get to you and make you a fan.

IRIS is not a substitute for DM. DM will always be DM and IRIS will always be IRIS.

IRIS is still growing and hopefully it won't have the same faith as other bands that started strong and then went no where.

As for DM... David should stick to what he does best "SING"; Martin to be open to new ideas, Fletch should get his head out of his ##s and leave his personal feelings aside, Alan... well..better find what he is looking for fast and give DM another shot.

IRIS... don't let us down.

test

Agree? Yes No

You NEED to pick up Awakening right away!!!!!!!!! Do NOT delay. That's such an amazing album! Oh,my God! I LOVE it to pieces. Vacant is the most beautiful song! I love the entire album. I LOVE iris. I LOVE dM. Both are my favorite bands, along with mesh. Each are different and unique in their own right.

I will write more after I get home from school. I only have 7 minutes left of lunch. I have to write more about iris and dM.

Agree? Yes No

i dont think its fair to compare the two bands. one has put out over a dozen albums in over 20 years while the other has only put out 2 albums. but i will say that for me personally, i do feel like the torch is being passed on. since the release of awakening, iris has become my favorite artist. although dm is still my alltime favorite.

dm pumped out high quality music, and were at their peak for such a long period of time, it really isnt fair just yet to compare the two. i think Awakening is an amazing step for iris. if they can continue on this pace for many years to come, then yes, i would rank them side by side, but until then, dm in their prime is very hard to beat.

test

Agree? Yes No

I am finally home from school. I am ready to discuss my favorite bands.

I would definitely say that iris has the potential to hit it BIG! They have such an incredible talent, just like dM. Both bands have incredible songwriters. Both Martin and Reagan amaze me with their lyrics. They write incredible songs. Both men can bring me to my knees with their voices. I think it 's a shame that iris hasn't been signed by a big label. They have mega talent just waiting to be discovered.

I don't think that iris is here to replace dM in people's hearts and minds. I think that they want to create their own niche with people. I don't think that they would want to be known as the "new dM." There is only one dM, just like there is only one iris. Both bands are immensely talented. Both have something to offer people with their music.

As for Alan possibly returning to dM, it is possible. I know that Alan attended Martin's solo show in London. THAT is a mega step in a reconciliation of some sort. I know that Dave didn't go to any of Martin's shows. I never would have thought that Alan would attend while Dave didn't. Hopefully he is mellowing with age and may not rule out a return to dM. Only time can tell.

Agree? Yes No

oh god....not again.

Agree? Yes No

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Stephanie

I don't think that iris is here to replace dM in people's hearts and minds. I think that they want to create their own niche with people. I don't think that they would want to be known as the "new dM." There is only one dM, just like there is only one iris. Both bands are immensely talented. Both have something to offer people with their music.

Steph, I knew you would be the first to respond. I know how you feel about IRIS. I have to agree with what you said. There's only one DM and one IRIS. by the way I just order "AWAKENING".

GC42: you are right, is not a fair comparison, since DM has more albums and the torch is being pass to IRIS.

as for conditioner: "oh god....not again.".. well, I know you are tired of the subject, but it seems that every time I read something about IRIS or DM they are always compared.
    it will come to an end, i'm sure of that...."WHEN IRIS BECOMES MORE FAMOUS THEN DM".

test

Agree? Yes No

When you get Awakening, you will understand why I rave about it. I LOVE Disconnect, don't get me wrong, but Awakening just struck a chord with me. The vocals are more mature and confident. The music works with each song. This album is soo stunning. It literally made me cry because it is sooooo emotional and sooooooooooo exquisite. Please be sure to post your thoughts on the album when you have listened to it. I want to hear what you think of Vacant, especially. That's my favorite song. I love the album and I love my boys.

Agree? Yes No

Let's stop this right here and now...

Iris...Disconnect..., great one of the best albums I've ever heard, but heavily influenced by synthpop pioneers like Seven Red Seven, Celebrate The Nun, and Cause & Effect...So their own catchy sound is not possible IMHO...An award winning album??? It most definately should be...Original...Not even close...I mean c'mon lets give credit where it's due...

BUT WAIT BEFORE YOU GUYS FLAME ME!!! LET ME FINISH!!!

This brings us to Awakening...It really is an awakening...An original new sound, fresh and devoid of the cheesy synthpop 3/4 beat everybody grew to love...It's intelligent, well-written, meaningful, edgy, and thought provoking...Everything an artist/band should strive to get into as far as a musical zone is concerned...They hit the nail on the head with their sophomore album, and it's easily worthy of praise...I'm with Steph, if you even like Disconnect a little bit (which again it's an awesome album, not to be discredited) you should definately check out Awakening...It's "it"...

Honeslty, theres a small number of modern synth bands as a whole that are worthy of being called the real deal...These are bands that release albums where every single track is one that you wouldn't skip over, never...Iris is one of these bands

DAN...

NOW end this stupid comparison thing before it gets out of hand!!!
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

Sorry, currently IRIS iS NOT the next Depeche Mode.
    They are a good Synthpop band.
    Last few Depeche Mode CDs weren't even Synthpop.
    You are comparing apple and orange.
    If they are planning to become the next DM, they have a very long way to climb on song writing, production, vocal performance,
    live performances, and image.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by conditioner
    oh god....not again.
    Exactly my thoughts. It gets excrutiatingly old after awhile.

Agree? Yes No

my opinion-Iris's vocalist hurts me more than a lemon cheese grater on my open mind.
    that being said. they're programming's quite good, and god bless 'em for getting far w/ they're art. I just think the vocals are too high and gay. Erasure? Yeah-I dig them. I don;t know. Iris doesn't hit me as hard as everyone else.

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

wait Intuition is the next DM ... yeah yeah that's the ticket.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by pop
    Sorry, currently IRIS iS NOT the next Depeche Mode.
    They are a good Synthpop band.
    Last few Depeche Mode CDs weren't even Synthpop.
    You are comparing apple and orange.
    If they are planning to become the next DM, they have a very long way to climb on song writing, production, vocal performance,
    live performances, and image.

hmm...technology aside, i think iris is stronger in many ways IF you compare where DM was after their first two albums. however, that was a different era so it really is tough to compare.
    And don't give me the, well technology is so much better now, b/c back in the day artists like gary numan, peter godwin, peter schilling, kraftwerk, devo, etc. had much better sonically produced albums than DM. the first three DM albums have a very "hollow" sound to them. As for songwriting, i don't remember martin writing any classic DM songs until his 4th album (though DM fans might insist on "everything counts" from CTA.

if you've only seen iris once live, then it's really hard to compare their live performance. their philly show was not one of their better shows vocally, though the rest of the guys rocked! even DM has had some off nights and i've seen them countless times. if they ever make it back up this way, you should check them out again, b/c you won't be disappointed.

lastly, i am perplexed by your saying image is part of what makes a band great. what are you from the "nsync/britney spears" school of thought of image before substance? when i first heard DM i had no clue what the guys looked like and could've cared less. same goes for the other artists i mentioned. that's a big reason why we have the crap on the radio today and why i have stopped listening to it.

sorry for the rambling....

cheers,
    eeb

Lead ElectroGardener Bornslippy's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

the one song that really really got me into Iris even though I have theyre demos and L.P... "Whatever" changed everything for me.... I think I gained even more respect with this song....

Iris vox is one of the inviting vox ever.... It's one of the best.... but thats just my op...
    \"don\'t tell me, don\'t tell me, Depeche Mode right, yeahhh I like his stuff. Keep it up.

Simon Lebon of Duran Duran

Agree? Yes No

I really don't see what the big to-do is about Iris. I have their first album and have seen them play. They have a couple of catchy songs that I would put on a mixed tape, but that is about it. Why all the hub-bub bub?
    Rabbit season! Blamo!

one is the only real number

This anouncement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    \"Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 28 years\"

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by East End Boy

hmm...technology aside, i think iris is stronger in many ways IF you compare where DM was after their first two albums. however, that was a different era so it really is tough to compare.
    And don't give me the, well technology is so much better now, b/c back in the day artists like gary numan, peter godwin, peter schilling, kraftwerk, devo, etc. had much better sonically produced albums than DM. the first three DM albums have a very "hollow" sound to them. As for songwriting, i don't remember martin writing any classic DM songs until his 4th album (though DM fans might insist on "everything counts" from CTA.

if you've only seen iris once live, then it's really hard to compare their live performance. their philly show was not one of their better shows vocally, though the rest of the guys rocked! even DM has had some off nights and i've seen them countless times. if they ever make it back up this way, you should check them out again, b/c you won't be disappointed.

lastly, i am perplexed by your saying image is part of what makes a band great. what are you from the "nsync/britney spears" school of thought of image before substance? when i first heard DM i had no clue what the guys looked like and could've cared less. same goes for the other artists i mentioned. that's a big reason why we have the crap on the radio today and why i have stopped listening to it.

sorry for the rambling....

cheers,
    eeb
    Their music has no image at all... Is that better?

By the way, you seem to know IRIS so well...
    When was their last big show besides Philly?
    I am not talking about playing in the bar/venue.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

Agree? Yes No

To the REAL music lover, image is irrelevant.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Jonna
    I really don't see what the big to-do is about Iris. I have their first album and have seen them play. They have a couple of catchy songs that I would put on a mixed tape, but that is about it. Why all the hub-bub bub?
    before you form a final opinion, you probably should check out their second album, "awakening" (i think stephanie would concur!). what many don't realize is that "disconnect" is a collection of what they felt were their best songs from 1993-1999. i am sure that reagan and matt went through a lot of changes during that time (a lot of maturing takes place during your 20s). that's why "disconnect" sounds so varied (and in some places, dated).

again, as i stated previously, you have to see iris (or any band) more than once to truly gauge a live performance.

cheers,
    eeb

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NJOberheim
    To the REAL music lover, image is irrelevant.
    When I listen to their music, it sounds like a POP song to me.
    I don't feel anything besides great hooks.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by pop
    [b]

Their music has no image at all... Is that better?

When was their last big show besides Philly?
    [b]

i am still not sure what your definition of image is in this case. so that i may gauge, what image does DM conjure for you?

as for shows, i guess their last big show was last spring in detroit at some festival. i have also heard they have a return gig in SA in late september.

cheers,
    eeb

Thread Information