Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode vs. Iris??? What????

Agree? Yes No

Every band has an image -- even one that has "no image" which in turn becomes their image. I'm not saying it should be a deciding factor in whether you like someone's music but image is an important part of a band fostering a following with its public. If we're comparing Iris to DM, then Iris would have to work on having an equally compelling image. I'm sure many people fell in love with DM simply because of their music, but those boys have worked an image from the get-go and it's a big part of how they became such a huge international act.
    Just to keep you from danger, I am the law.
    WXJL Tonight Radio - electronix: cross-genre, cross-generation.

Agree? Yes No

I will be honest. I think Cause&Effect, Distain, CAMaflouge, and De/vision sound better than IRIS. IRIS has long way to go. For Amercian band to come out with a strong Synthpop CD is pretty impressive. They are one of many Synthpop bands who wrote few tunes with strong catch hooks. They wrote some strong pop melodies, but nothing totally amazing. NOTHING INNOVATIONG.
    The perfectl use of the circle of 5th for chord progressions. etc etc etc. Their production is VERY good. Their mix could be more spaceous. Overall, they are a pretty good band.
    They don't blow my mind away. Yes, I got their CDs.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Hey just so you all know ... that is pretty high praise from Pop ...

Agree? Yes No

i never understand the comparison myself.
    dont die...
    fen.

CTRL

Agree? Yes No

I think everyone's opinions should be respected. I personally don't agree with some in this thread, but that's ok! =)

Iris's sound evolves, as does their songwriting. You can unmistakenly hear the maturity in Reagan's writing with Awakening from Disconnect, and as well as with the production that Andrew gave in collaberating with Reagan in Iris - the two connected well. I think everyone will be even more pleasantly surprised with the direction of songwriting that's currently in the works for Iris's new album.

I have to say, for the sake of the thread, that though DM is a MAJOR influence for Iris, the sounds from both are definitely unique in themselves.
    I don\'t advise
    and I don\'t criticise
    I just know what I like
    with my own eyes...

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by kellyrenee
    I think everyone will be even more pleasantly surprised with the direction of songwriting that's currently in the works for Iris's new album.
    What, what, what??? New album??? When, where, and god damn am I excited!!!

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

test

Agree? Yes No

Oh, my God! I totally missed that in Kelly's post. It went right over my head. New iris?!!!!!!!!!! Whoa!!! That makes me very happy this early in the morning. :woohoo:

Agree? Yes No

Ugh, er ... (sorry guys) ... well, it'll be a while ... but yes, there is writing going on up in thera. =) And as I said, the direction is very cool.
    I don\'t advise
    and I don\'t criticise
    I just know what I like
    with my own eyes...

Agree? Yes No

yeah i hear they're going for a "paper monsters" type sound for the new cd.. *hides from stephanie*

test

Agree? Yes No

Nah, Reagan already has more talent than Dave Gahan has lyrics wise. As far as his singing, well, I have only seen iris once, plus I have a video, but he does NOT scream, unlike Dave. So Reagan gets major points for actually singing and in tune no less! I wish I could say the same for Dave. he he he

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Depeche Mode vs. Iris??? What????

Originally posted by d3lions
    Martin... well....he is not a great writer
    omg I so do not agree with you on that one. lol
    But each one is entitled to their own opinion after all but I think Martin Gore is an awesome writer! My fav one so far.

Originally posted by djrandeesha
    but those boys have worked an image from the get-go and it's a big part of how they became such a huge international act.
    And Anton Corbijin helped them loads.

Agree? Yes No

Thumbs up Re: Re: Depeche Mode vs. Iris??? What????

Originally posted by VJay
    [b]

omg I so do not agree with you on that one. lol
    But each one is entitled to their own opinion after all but I think Martin Gore is an awesome writer! My fav one so far.
    I never said he wasn't a good writer. He is good, but not great. Some of my favorite songs are his creations.

We will see what he comes up with in the next album (if any).

Lead ElectroGardener Bornslippy's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Stephanie
    Nah, Reagan already has more talent than Dave Gahan has lyrics wise. As far as his singing, well, I have only seen iris once, plus I have a video, but he does NOT scream, unlike Dave. So Reagan gets major points for actually singing and in tune no less! I wish I could say the same for Dave. he he he
    can Reagan shake his Heinekan like Dave does?
    \"don\'t tell me, don\'t tell me, Depeche Mode right, yeahhh I like his stuff. Keep it up.

Simon Lebon of Duran Duran

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Bornslippy

oh my!

test

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Bornslippy

Nope, Reagan shows more class. He doesn't need to shake his butt or grab his crotch to get audience reaction. He knows how to work an audience. He is definitely a classy showman, just like Martin. :nod:

Mark, I have somethings you may be interested in. We need to talk.

Agree? Yes No

We need to talk.
    those are the words that I dont want to hear from a woman..

it usually means

1. "something has come up, it's not you, it's me, bla blah blah"

2. " We are in different places right now"

3. " My jerk ex boyfriend called me yesterday and I think I've fallen for him again"

or

4. "remember that time at the Four Seasons hotel where we finished 3 bottles of wine? well I'm cooking something inside of me.... Sell your BMW and get a bigger van cause I'm pregnant.'""
    \"don\'t tell me, don\'t tell me, Depeche Mode right, yeahhh I like his stuff. Keep it up.

test

Agree? Yes No

No, silly nothing like that. This case, the we need to talk is nothing but GOOD stuff!

Agree? Yes No

This case, the we need to talk is nothing but GOOD stuff!

slow down, your going a little fast for me.. I'm not that easy... (wink)

Agree? Yes No

I think what Iris did with Awakening made a solid point about "Synthpop" in general: It's pop music made with synths.

If I was to point out the most obvious influence over the songwriting it would be Toad the Wet Sprocket. The whole CD, for the most part, sounds to me like 90s Alt-rock with synths... and in a good way, I think they did a great job for what it is.

I also wouldn't be surprised at all if they changed the whole approach for the next CD, it was also pretty obvious to me that they did a lot of things on "purpose".

So what makes it a refreshing listen for me is to hear synths used in this context but not for novelty sake. It's a nice balance.

All of this comparing Reagan to Martin Gore stuff, however...

You're comparing a 30 year old with two albums under his belt to a 45 year old with 10 or so... You may prefer one over the other but how can you objectively compare with the level of experience being that vast?

Reagan is a pretty darn good songwriter... his lyrics are clever... Hell... read some of Mark Nicholas from Cosmicity's lyrics, or Tim H. from BNI... the list goes on! There's some really talented songwriters in this scene...

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

test

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by cliffwalk

All of this comparing Reagan to Martin Gore stuff, however...

You're comparing a 30 year old with two albums under his belt to a 45 year old with 10 or so... You may prefer one over the other but how can you objectively compare with the level of experience being that vast?

Reagan is a pretty darn good songwriter... his lyrics are clever... Hell... read some of Mark Nicholas from Cosmicity's lyrics, or Tim H. from BNI... the list goes on! There's some really talented songwriters in this scene...

Dave
    The thread is about iris being the next dM. I didn't start the thread. I just said that Reagan is *like* Martin in he can write great songs. Reagan's writing affects me just like Martin's writing does. I am sorry to have even made the comparision but that's how I feel.

Thread Information