Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Electropop Demos & Record Labels

Agree? Yes No

Default Hey Kevin.

Originally posted by pop
    DF is a goth label. If you don't have fangs, he won't sign you.
    Well, I figured it might be a shot cuz we've got a few goth-ish type songs. Albeit, still electro. But I'll certainly keep that in mind. Good to hear from you Kevin. Catch you later.
    -- EPH3KT http://www.mp3.com/ephekt
    EBM :: TECHPOP :: SYNTHPOP :: IDM ::
    for updates join our yahoogroup @ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EPHEKT/

Agree? Yes No

I've sent out a heckuva lot of Demos. I think most labels have a random e-mail reply with one of the following:
    1) "I really like your stuff! unfortunately, even though we posted that we were looking for demos, we don't have any money to put anything out."
    2) "no, didn't listen to your demo. How many albums do you currently sell? a) under 10,000 -> email reply to nospam@label.com b) over 10,000 email reply to signed@label.com"
    3) "your music isn't exactly what we are looking for. For an example, please listen to VNV, Apop, or Covenant. Please don't listen to anything else."

Maybe we suck. Maybe we're too "out there" or not "dance-y enough". Maybe since we never put out our own CD (other than CDr) people think we're not "serious" enough. I've gotten to the point where I could care less. Maybe someday someone will ask us to be on a label...but I think my days of searching for one are over.

Anyhow, good luck in finding a label. Hope your search is much better than mine was. There is no true formula on what to send out as a demo - I generally included 1 page "bio", 1 page of reviews, and the full length CD (with graphics), best songs up front. Now the most I send out is a CDr with label - one thing for sure is mark your CD somehow, with band name and contact info minimum. I have about 10 CDrs without any label on them and I have no idea what they are.
    hEADaCHE of CEOXiME
    headaque@yahoo.com
    www.ceoxime.com

Agree? Yes No

It could be the name of your band. If a label can't pronounce it properly, how can they effectively brand/market to their consumers?

Nothing against your band, but the name IS a bit cumbersome.

Agree? Yes No

I figure I've got to give it a shot, one time in my life. We're not anywhere near the status of being GREAT electrostars, but sometimes I hear CD's that I just can't understand why anyone whould want to put them out. It's not that it bothers me, it's that I think maybe I might have a chance at this too. So why not. After all, I am having fun doing it anyways...

Now, with places like CDBaby, I figure that's the last resort. And why not, I've purchased some stuff off of there. Bands that I like and have followed. I've even purchased CD's from bands on MP3.com I don't think I'm the only one. But the biggest reason for wanting a label is so that it can get to the DJ's. Ultimately, I would LOVE to see people dancing to my music at some industrial/electro/goth club. I think that's just one of those fantasies I have.

...well... we'll see. OH.. BTW, here's a little Miss Kittin drawing I did today whle I was on the phone.

Agree? Yes No

I just got the new Industrial Nation and there's a fairly informative article on the do's and don'ts of sending demos. FYI.
    Visit deadbeatproductions.com for information on the new \"HaLO: The Best of Madtown Electro & Synth NOW!

Agree? Yes No

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL265/...8/33857946.jpg

THAT'S A PRETTY GOOD FUCCKKIN RENDITION OF CAROLINE (MISS KITTEN) GOOD JOB

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by eurotic
    I just got the new Industrial Nation and there's a fairly informative article on the do's and don'ts of sending demos. FYI.

Awe, no ¤¤¤¤? Cool. I gotta go pick it up this weekend. For some reason the Tower Records by my house stopped carrying it. So I'll have to trek out to find one.

In the mean time, can you tell me anything about that article?

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Dan1boy
    It could be the name of your band. If a label can't pronounce it properly, how can they effectively brand/market to their consumers?

Nothing against your band, but the name IS a bit cumbersome.
    Not one of the 3 responses, but perhaps you have a point. Although, how many label people actually use "word of mouth" to promote bands? And if so, wouldn't 1 phone call be enough to find out how to pronounce something? (or for me, just check the website under "info")

Sounds like a whole new thread...
    http://www.electrogarden.com/forums/...&threadid=8190
    hEADaCHE of CEOXiME
    headaque@yahoo.com
    www.ceoxime.com

Agree? Yes No

It's the first issue I've ever read, but basically it says things like "don't include a pic of yourself in a power plant/graveyard/in general if you don't want to possibly get made fun of". It also discusses not spamming or falsely representing yourselves to labels and properly marking all of your submissions.

It's pretty well-written and, I thought, had some basic but smart things to say. My favorite part is that the writer picks on the "industrial cliches" of pictures and the Nebula-H article has pics EXACTLY like she was describing. Good articles both, but I did find it ironic.

-Matt
    DJ Eurotic
    Visit deadbeatproductions.com for information on the new \"HaLO: The Best of Madtown Electro & Synth NOW!

Agree? Yes No

There's a whole section of "Rock and Roll Confidential" that has the "daily douchebag" - nothing but amusing captioned photos of bands standing in front of brick walls or trying to look "tough."

My favorite has this enormous guy completely rocked-out in a live show. The caption is "Screaming! Screaming for cheese fries!"

As many cliches as there are, so many, many bands get away wtih them. VNV breaks the "for gods sake don't composite yourself into a futuristic cityscape CG" commandment on a regular basis, and nobody seems to complain.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

My favorite has this enormous guy completely rocked-out in a live show. The caption is "Screaming! Screaming for cheese fries!"
    and my favorite on that site is this rock band and the four guys in the band are on a rail road track... caption: "choo choo! All aboard the douchebag express!!" and of course the other all time favorite

Nesforatool.

Agree? Yes No

There's a promo shot of my brother and I standing under a streetsign called Electronic st. I'll post it up soon. i think it looks cool. We DO make electro.

rock and roll confidential has got to be the funniest thing I've read through in a while. Holy christmas that's funny!!

"Goldilocks and the Three Gay Dancers

MTV News reports that Madonna plans to release a series of children’s books. The singer has penned a five-book distribution deal with publisher Penguin in the U.K. and Callaway Imprints in the U.S. "As with everything she does, Madonna is once again going to surprise, delight and lead the way," said Nicholas Callaway, founder and publisher of Callaway Editions. "She has drawn on a lifelong passion for and deep familiarity with literature and children's books to create contemporary classics that combine great storytelling with ravishing art."

The first edition in the series, due in September of this year, will be entitled “Bonnie, The Baby Bare Bear”. The book features the adventures of a young, naked female bear that “cuddles” with wealthy older bears in order to get “honey” and viciously disembowels other female bears to protect it. Titles to follow include “Charlie ChickenHawk And The Baby Birds”, “ Frederick, The Fabulously Fierce Ferret” and “Lilly, The Marginally Talented Lamb From Michigan Who Conquered The Entertainment Industry With Her Lamb Mouth And Lamb Vagina”. "

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank

and my favorite on that site is this rock band and the four guys in the band are on a rail road track... caption: "choo choo! All aboard the douchebag express!!" and of course the other all time favorite

Nesforatool.
    Jebuschrist!!! I nearly pissed myself! That is an amazing site. Thank you for that... Hilarious

Agree? Yes No

NullDevice, you made my day.

There are so many good ones. I have been laughing all morning.

This is priceless:

http://www.rockandrollconfidential.c...s/400/p457.htm

Thread Information