Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: The Dandy Warhols album "Welcome to the Monkey House"

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Default The Dandy Warhols album "Welcome to the Monkey House"

I just picked this one up. Great album produced by Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran/The Devils. I read the write up in Rolling Stone earlier this week too and they say you can hear the early Duran Duran synth hooks on the tracks. Well, considering Nick played additional synths on many of the tracks this makes sense. However, anyone who has The Devils "Dark Circles" cd from last year are going to hear more of an influence from that album, rather than D2 itself. You can hear some similiarities to the percussion section in D2's "Notorious" however. Maybe that is because Nick has been working so closely with Nile Rodgers lately on the new D2 album.

At anyrate ... this is a great album. Pick it up. It combines elements of brit pop and retro electronic sounds.

~Craig

Agree? Yes No

I've actually been obsessed with "You Were the Last High" and for about 3 weeks now...it's screaming of early Duran...which while yes, The Devils are essentially that, the guitar in it is very Andy Taylor-ish circa 80-81, at least as far as my Duranie ears are concerned Also, "The Dope" is a great track.

Simon sings backup on "Plan A" as well...hidden as it may seem

I read a review somewhere on the net that basically thanked Nick for his involvement for "making the Dandy's seem alive"

Agree? Yes No

I'm only familiar with "Used To Be Friends" (I think it's called)...Saw them perform on Leno last week and they rocked!!! I like their image, and from what I know this isn't their first album either...I read the Rolling Stone review too and it said something like they used to have a deep Velvet Underground influence...Has that stopped now??? This song is really catchy and made for a killer video...I've been thinking about getting this album for the past few days actually...Is it worth getting Craig???

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

Yes it is worth getting Dan. Maybe the best CD of 2003 so far.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by KissTheStar
    Yes it is worth getting Dan. Maybe the best CD of 2003 so far.

Thanks for the recommendation buddy, I'll probably end up getting it tomorrow afternoon after work...I really know nothing about these guys other than one song and a video, so this should make for an exciting Monday night hearing something new

Thanks!

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

Sounds interesting. How is the Devils CD?
    \"the hours of your life were mismeasured,
    yet the missing time crawls, seeps grudgingly
    from your halted vessels and quiet bloodstream,
    from the soul-open stillness of your heart,
    to the uncaring mask that has become your face\"

from \"deadhand deadface\"
    \"\"

Agree? Yes No

The Devils CD was the best release in 2002 IMO so ... it's great!!!

~Craig

Thread Information