Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: favorites from Heaven 17, Human League, Modern talking

Agree? Yes No

Am I the only one who thought Octopus was a kick a** return to the synthpop roots after Crash??? Tell Me When, One Man In My Heart??? These are big time throwback songs, and it's an overall must have album IMO...I'm also a huge fan of everything they did way back even before the girls joined the group...Anyone remember Toyota City??? Ah the synthpop sounds of the 70's...

As for Heaven 17, I have everything in my collection from them on vinyl,never really got into them...We Live So Fast and We Don't Need This Fascist Groove Thing are pretty good

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

Default SPARKS!

Originally posted by veganmaster
    gracias for all the recommendations... fun fun.

I just heard a Sparks song "how do I get to carnegie hall" from the CD "lil' beethoven" -- it's really interesting. I don't know why but I like this track. Kind of operatic, lots of piano with no beat. I'm sure I would like it better with more synth, and beats, but oh well.
    The lastest SPARKS album "Lil' Beethoven" is a breath of fresh air. They're calling it 'a dance album without beats' ... it's f-kin genius!!!

Some will find it hard to accept, while others will love it and understand it. The songs are catchy as can be as only Sparks can write such superb melodies. And this time around they didn't bother with the sequencer. LOL!

http://www.allsparks.com/home_l.php

[roouie]
    www.souvenirrecords.com

Agree? Yes No

I also loved "Octopus." The sounds were so awsome.... I couldn't wait for the U.S. debut so I paid extra for the import. Classic stuff.

X Esquire
    \"Hide Your Voice With The Sound Of The Crowd.....\"

Agree? Yes No

HEY...

In fact, I like Modern talking. they are so...so....commercial

But they are cool, they manage to make every song sound the same as something they released five years ago...

Agree? Yes No

ahhh, surprised to hear Modern Talking mentioned? he he. I can kind of understand that now that I've heard more of their songs. I love his voice, but dammit, sounds like they keep doing the same song over and over -- how I can just IMAGINE all the cool songs they could have made if they were more experimental and more synthy, and less interested in producing the same simple dance songs. I did hear some samples of the newer stuff too - and YUCK it sounded right off of a Backdork SYNC boys album (*shivers in fear*).

That being said I still like the '98 mixes of Brother Louie and
    Cheri Cheri (though I want to edit out the stupid rap part on one).

I'm not against all dance music, as I love some of George Michael's later work (how's that for commerical!). But it takes a certain voice and music for me.

I just heard a sample of Kartagon "pure love" and it sound interesting, with a Depeche mode on crack intro... I had never heard of them though.....

Hey, kirlian blue, thanks for the mention, song with no name is great. and I definitely need to get the Bigger than America CD!
    Sounds fantastic.
    \"the hours of your life were mismeasured,
    yet the missing time crawls, seeps grudgingly
    from your halted vessels and quiet bloodstream,
    from the soul-open stillness of your heart,
    to the uncaring mask that has become your face\"

from \"deadhand deadface\"
    \"\"

Agree? Yes No

Modern Talking has enjoyed their big chunks of success when they first appeared back then. Catchy accessible music with flamboyant voice............ that's what BIG back in the 80's. I do enjoy to listen to their earlier stuff: "Cheri Cheri lady", "Brother Louie", "Atlantis Is Calling", and who can forget "You're My Heart, you're My Soul."

It's a good music to listen to when you want to have nothing in mind but simply having a good time. It's also a
    'hit & miss' thing....... Once the public heard the first couple of their album, it's enough....... Too much of these stuff can make you drowsy. :-)
    \"The love in the world begins with the love within ourselves.\"

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by 7red7
    Am I the only one who thought Octopus was a kick a** return to the synthpop roots after Crash??? Tell Me When, One Man In My Heart???
    DAN
    Dan, I love 'Octopus' too, I think is one of the best synthpop albums from the 90´s: 'Filling Up With Heaven', 'Cruel Young Lover'...
    I love too 'Seconds', 'Love Action', 'Mirror Man', 'The Things That Dreams Are Made Of', 'Empire State Human', 'Gordon Gin', 'Touchables', 'Only After Dark', 'I Love You Too Much', 'You Remind Me Of Gold'.....

From Heaven 17: 'I´m Your Money', 'Temptation', 'Sunset Now', 'Let Me Go', 'Come Live With Me', 'Electronic Prayer'.

juanlu

synths for your mind!

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by 7red7
    Am I the only one who thought Octopus was a kick a** return to the synthpop roots after Crash??? Tell Me When, One Man In My Heart??? These are big time throwback songs, and it's an overall must have album IMO...DAN
    Octopus is a fabulous album! 'Tell Me when' is one of my favourite Human League songs, but 'Sound of the Crowd' is my favourite. Other favourites include 'Mirror Man,' 'Empire State Human' and 'Love Action.'
    Forget New Labour! Vote New Romantic!

Doucement, ne les derangez pas
    Il y a de gens qui vive comme ca
    Les artistes de demain
    En despoir agreable
    --Japan

We stepped out in the shatter light
    And I watched as we blew away
    Through a sea of seats
    And the tangled up streets
    And the cities in a gray blue haze
    --John Foxx

Agree? Yes No

Great to hear theres more Octopus fans out there besides me

I'm still gearing up for the show this weekend at the Hollywood House Of Blues...Any other So. Cal natives attending???

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

One of Heaven 17's best albums was their most recent one 'Bigger Than America' released in 1997. Check out 'Do I Believe' or the German version of Designing Heaven. Older faves include the 12 inch mixes of I'm Your Money and We Live So Fast.
    The most heavenly track on the League's Secrets for me is 'Shameless' which I played on a recent radio show devoted to the League.
    You can view the full playlist and download the show in two parts at: http://www.league-online.com/sonicleague.html
    e l e c t r o n i c a l l y y o u r s

http://www.league-online.com/news.html

Agree? Yes No

I'm also a huge fan of everything they did way back even before the girls joined the group...Anyone remember Toyota City??? Ah the synthpop sounds of the 70's...

DAN[/b]
    I am also a fan of everything before the women joined.

The "Black Hit Of Space" is fabulous.
    -------------------------------------
    The Official Jenn Vix Web Site
    http://www.jennvix.com
    -------------------------------------

Thread Information