Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: favorites from Heaven 17, Human League, Modern talking

Agree? Yes No

Default favorites from Heaven 17, Human League, Modern talking

I'm just checking out these groups now; do you have any favorites?

I love the new Heaven 17 song "hands up to heaven."

\"the hours of your life were mismeasured,
    yet the missing time crawls, seeps grudgingly
    from your halted vessels and quiet bloodstream,
    from the soul-open stillness of your heart,
    to the uncaring mask that has become your face\"

from \"deadhand deadface\"
    \"\"

Agree? Yes No

Lets go make a bomb theres a 81 original version and a 83(new verison) an all time classic...by Heaven 17.....THE SONG WITH NO NAME ,,,,,Temptation...most tracls of the album Bigger than America are brillinantL)
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

Talking

It would probably be easier to ask me what Human League songs were not my favorite but here's a few:

You Remind Me Of Gold (from Fascination ep)
    Darkness (Dare)
    Things That Dreams Are Made Of (Dare)
    Sound Of The Crowd (Dare)
    Crow & A Baby (from Travelogue)
    I Don't Depend On You (from Travelogue)
    Marianne (from Travelogue - now)

Basically anything from Reproduction through Fascination is well worth it (that would be Reproduction, Travelogue, Dare, Fascination). You can hear the change in sound as the albums progress -- from dark & heavy to a more polished pop sound. If you like the pop sound, then you could move onto Hysteria, Crash (with the single Human) was produced by Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis so I basically put it on for laughs (although I secretly love it).

Secrets, their latest, is also a definite must as it sounds as if it should have been the album after Dare and Fascination. It was produced by T.O.Y. (formerly Evil's Toy).

Hope that helps.
    Just to keep you from danger, I am the law.
    WXJL Tonight Radio - electronix: cross-genre, cross-generation.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by djrandeesha

You Remind Me Of Gold (from Fascination ep)

Hey djrandeesha,

That track WAS great. I also liked the version of "I Love you too much" that was on this EP, better than the one that appeared on Hysteria.

I misplaced that Record years ago and have looked for it on CD with no luck. Any ideas if it's even on CD and where I can find it? Thanks!

Rich

Agree? Yes No

[i]

Secrets, their latest, is also a definite must as it sounds as if it should have been the album after Dare and Fascination. It was produced by T.O.Y. (formerly Evil's Toy).

Hope that helps.[/b]
    Oh NOOOOO! puheaze DO NOT give T.O.Y.aka Evil's Toy any undeservevd credit!!! ack!! LOL!!!

do not confuse T.O.Y. - Evil's Toy with the PRODUCTION TEAM by the same name: TOY. The production team TOY is Tim Simenon (of the group Bomb the Bass) and his two engineers. All three whom were involved with DM's Ultra.

What a difference Ultra and Secrets are! SECRETS is heavenly. An amazing production! I'm surprised many more people didn't embrace it. Especially since most people are always crying about the lack of 'real synthpop' - go figure!

[roouie]
    www.souvenirrecords.com

Agree? Yes No

I heard the first song of the Secrets album, All I Ever Wanted and it's got a good sound (although there are very few songs with female vocals I like... uhh and when I do it's usually backing vocals, like Electronic "Raise the Pressure"). But I really dig the "no one makes me feeeel like you doooo" part. Hmmmm, yum.

\"\"

Agree? Yes No

Voodooru - Thanks for the heads-up on T.O.Y. You know, I even got "White Lights" hoping for another Secrets but was surprised. Ha ha ha. Now Bomb the Bass makes more sense.

NJOberheim -- Unfortunately, I don't think its been included on anything since Fascination. And I agree -- I Love You Too Much on Fascination is far better than the one on Hysteria. Ditto with Hard Times. With all the interest in the Human League, maybe the Fascination ep will get a remaster and rerelease. Virgin just did it with Dare and Travelogue. There is a greatest hits type album that has different versions of a lot of the Fascination songs including an excellent instrumental version of You Remind Me Of Gold and a Dub version of I Love You Too Much which is HOT!! I'll see if I can find out the official title of the release.

I'm glad to hear from the other thread that the Human League's tour is sounding so great. I saw them a few years ago with Howard Jones & Culture Club and it was simply not that great. Hard to say when I am such a diehard fan. Maybe I'll have to see if I can get a ticket at the door tomorrow.
    Just to keep you from danger, I am the law.
    WXJL Tonight Radio - electronix: cross-genre, cross-generation.

Agree? Yes No

[i]
    I'm glad to hear from the other thread that the Human League's tour is sounding so great. I saw them a few years ago with Howard Jones & Culture Club and it was simply not that great. Hard to say when I am such a diehard fan. Maybe I'll have to see if I can get a ticket at the door tomorrow. [/b]
    you should make every effort to go tomorrow night
    I wasn't interested in that tour a few years ago. I'm not a fan of 'flashback' type shows and wasn't into the idea of seeing a short set by Human League. This is their real tour.

BTW - I did pick up the DARE remaster months ago and it's sooo hot! I always felt the original cd release was awful quality. Nice to see DARE and LOVE AND DANCING on one disc and remastered. It's hot for sure!

[roouie]
    www.souvenirrecords.com

Agree? Yes No

Any recommendations for a good Heaven 17 album? I have absolutely no idea where to begin and I've only heard a few songs by them. I dig the vocals (kinda sorta possibly reminding me of blancmange's style).

Agree? Yes No

Recommended Heaven 17: The self titled "Heaven 17" and "The Luxury Gap"

Favorite songs: "Let Me Go", "We Don't Need That Fascist Groove Thing", "Penthouse and Pavement", "We Live So fast", "Temptation", "Let's Build a bomb"

There was also a new version of "Fascist Groove Thing" that got released in the 90's with new lyrics (reflecting Clinton's election to the presidency) ...

Now as for Human League: Everything up to Hysteria (and that includes that song "I don't depend on you" released under the pseudonym The Men ... a harbinger of the Dare era League with backing female vocals). Skip over Crash (dreadful!), and Romantic? was only marginally better. Octopus was an improvement (I liked "Tell Me When") and Secrets is simply the BEST there is, easily the best League since the Dare era!

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by voodooru

BTW - I did pick up the DARE remaster months ago and it's sooo hot! I always felt the original cd release was awful quality. Nice to see DARE and LOVE AND DANCING on one disc and remastered. It's hot for sure!
    The Dare remaster is fabulous. I picked it up in the bargain bin at Tower Records in London a couple of months ago. It stayed in my CD player the whole time I was in London. I am impatiently waiting to see the League at Shepard's Bush in London on 18 December. I already ordered my ticket!

The best Human League tracks in my opinion are "Love Action," "Sound of the Crowd," and "Empire State Human."

The best Heaven 17 tracks in my opinion are "Temptation," and "Let me Go."
    La Marquise--The Dandy Highwaywoman

\"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars\"
    --Oscar Wilde

\"New styles, new shapes
    New modes, that\'s the role my passion takes
    Visuals, magazines, reflex styles
    Past, future, in extreme\"
    --Visage

\"Take time to see the wonders of the world
    To see the things you\'ve only ever heard of
    Dream life the way you think it ought to be
    See things you thought you\'d never ever see\"
    --Human League

\"An 18th Century brain in a 21st Century head\"
    --Adam Ant

Agree? Yes No

Default MT

since you've gotten some great feed back on the Human League and Heaven 17/BEF, here is the Modern Talking stuff I recommend.

"the 1st album" ......absolutely excellent, each track is a gem!
    "let's talk about love, the 2nd album" not as good as the 1st album but worth it for the trakz "let's talk about love", "cheri cheri lady" and "with a little love"
    "ready for romance, the 3rd album" excellent and better than the first (even though it tends to be more euro pop). the trak "atlantis is calling (sos for love)" is indescribable...you will play it over and over again.
    "in the middle of nowhere, the 4th album" not as good as the 1st or 3rd but again worth purchasing, as "geronimo's cadillac" has a sort of Bee Gees thing goin' on.
    don't waste your money on albums 5 and 6, they are extremely dull. you can skip album no# 7 ("Back for good") too as it is mostly re-mixes.
    "alone, the 8th album" is okay but the trakz "rouge et noir" and "love is like a rainbow" are worth having.
    "year of the dragon, the 9th album" awesome! each trak especially "avec toi", "fly to the moon" and "after your love has gone"
    "america, the 10th album" not so good I only liked two trakz, "witch queen of eldorado" and "new york city girl" (they began a down hill slide with this CD)
    "victory, the 11th album) DULLLL!!! stay away. it was so dull and on top of that I read so many negative things about the next album, the 12th "Universe" that I did not even purchase Universe.
    So get everything except numbers 5, 6, 11, and 12.

Agree? Yes No

Oh my God...
    - LEAD ME INTO YOUR DARKNESS
    WHEN THIS WORLD IS TRYING ITS HARDEST
    TO LEAVE ME UNIMPRESSED -

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by angel_hocico
    Oh my God...

.........you really think you have it made.

Agree? Yes No

gracias for all the recommendations... fun fun.

I just heard a Sparks song "how do I get to carnegie hall" from the CD "lil' beethoven" -- it's really interesting. I don't know why but I like this track. Kind of operatic, lots of piano with no beat. I'm sure I would like it better with more synth, and beats, but oh well.

\"\"

Agree? Yes No

i love the first 6 albums. it is cheesy but it awesome.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by rix harisson

.........you really think you have it made.
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean......

Modern Talking are Germany's favourite subject of gossip. You can't escape from news about Dieter Bohlen, his ex-gf, his ex-wife and his present gf.... Nobody talks about his music, though....

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by angel_hocico

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean......

Modern Talking are Germany's favourite subject of gossip. You can't escape from news about Dieter Bohlen, his ex-gf, his ex-wife and his present gf.... Nobody talks about his music, though....
    oh! am sorry, i thought you were referencing the MT song "Diamonds Never Made a Lady" from the 1st album.

the opening line of that song is "oh my god, you really think you have it made".......it's about a woman who thinks that money, jewels and cars is what life is all about....great song.

as far as the personal lives of MT goes....i know nothing about it and have no interest....i'm not into bands personal lives only their music.

Agree? Yes No

Well, what I meant that it is GOSSIP. MT are tabloid celebrities. I am really surprised to see MT mentioned in this forum... I mean they are not underground or 'dark'. But maybe MT are so freaky for you that it's almost cool...

Agree? Yes No

MT used to be cool, but after the 10th album "america" which incidentally had alot of american influences like backstreet boys, latin/freestyle rhythms, etc they sort of forgot who they were and abandoned their sound in favour of a more commercial sound that would be acceptable in "america". unfortunately america has never been (and still isn't) interested in MT and after the last 3 horrible albums rightly so.

as far as being surprised members of the electrogarden family could be interested in lightweights like MT, don't be. the reason i like it here is because the folks here are rooted in electronica and by far electronica is the favoured genre (and what this site is all about) of us all, but they (we) have diverse taste just the same. i've met folks here who like ABC, Dead or Alive, Bryan Adams, Stacy Q, rap (hip hop), country, you name it....that's why i love it here.

Thread Information