Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Reviews...good or bad?

Agree? Yes No

Default Reviews...good or bad?

Gotta love that conversation about reviews (started about a particular Intuition review). I've got phone calls and emails about it from one side or the other, all infuriated about one position or another.

The point is (and it's been said in the other thread), everybody has different opinions. Everybody is moved by music in different ways. The nature of art is that it will be admired or disliked, understood or criticized. True art (even pop art) is defined by the fact that people pay attention, for better or for worse. If you fail to get an opinion, then maybe you're not doing something right, but if you have half of the people saying they love it, and half of the people saying they hate it, then you're on to something! I stopped caring much about reviews a long time ago, other than for entertainment factor. Of course, if a publication ONLY says bad things about every CD I send to them, I'll probably stop sending CD's because it obviously isn't going to serve any purpose (like we've been prejudged before I ship a CD anyway).

So, enough about that topic. Let's just all agree on one thing...
    the new Martin Gore album sucks!

hehehe,
    Todd

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Reviews...good or bad?

Originally posted by Todd Durrant

hehehe,
    Todd
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're just asking for the wrath of Stephanie (StphLadd) aren't you?
    ..but....I have to agree. ::ducks::
    ------------------------------
    www.myspace.com/noirtech
    ------------------------------

Agree? Yes No

Eight to infinity once got a funny review. It was in an 80's/electroclash special of Future Music Magazine. The entire magazine was dedicated to singing the praises of Ladytron, Felix et al.

Our review consisted of two words : "Too Eighties".

This in my opinion is the best review since earth got "Mostly Harmless" in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. LOL.
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

new Martin Gore album sucks!
    /agreed

new dave gahan record is pretty good I gotta admit.

Like mr freda used to say all the time on the egn forums "Opinions are like 中中中山 everyones got one".
    Brand New Idol
    Listen to our music - Click Here
    http://www.brandnewidol.com
    http://www.mp3.com/brandnewidol (R.I.P.)
    http://www.nysynthpop.com

Agree? Yes No

We got a great review once from a powernoise zine once. "I have no idea why they sent me this disc."

Reviews are fun, they're often helpful, but they're certainly the end-all and be-all of a musical experience. Those of us who make music have to really quickly become inured to criticism - everybody's got an idea on how to improve things and if you don't develop a thick skin you'll go insane. But everyone is cerntaily welcome to have their opinions.

Heh, right now I'm more likely to buy the Intuition album just to see what all the fuss is about in that other thread.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Brand New Idol

/agreed

new dave gahan record is pretty good I gotta admit.

Like mr freda used to say all the time on the egn forums "Opinions are like 中中中山 everyones got one".
    why am I not surprised that we have the EXACT OPPOSITE opinion on this particular release... I hated it at first but man did it grow on me.

I don't even really like the music behind Dave's album and I would've expected to.

*shrug*

That being said I think A LOT of people believe very strongly in a black and white: This is good/bad... whether it's a subjective or objective opinion. THEN they introduce words like "Mediocre" (I'm guilty of this).

To me, the way POPULAR art (mainstream movies, pop music, graphic art, what have you) is recieved has become somewhat ignorant. People evaluate with a checklist in their head:

-"I hear a melody I can memorize/hum"
    -"It SOUNDS like a professional recorded it"
    -"I think I understand what it means"
    -"I look really cool listening to it" (meant tongue in cheek)

I sort of miss that middle ground that I just don't see as existant anymore... probably because I'm so out of touch?? Is that it?

To me it seems like people aren't just "DIGGING" music anymore. (In the masses, obviously most people here love music...)

*shrug* I dunno, just a wierd observation... It just seems like the population has developed ADD (not the record label)

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Reviews...good or bad?

Originally posted by Todd Durrant
    Yes, maybe, but not as much as the single for Stardust.

I went looking to the buy new Dave Gahan single which I heard was great but couldn't find it. Instead I bought Martin Gore's single.

Man, that makes some of the recent disappointing Depeche singles look like masterpieces. I guess the remix of Loverman is good, but why, oh why, do we get a second mix that is the exact same thing as the first minus vocals for not one but two remixes!

I really felt violated (pardon the pun) after purchasing such a dud.
    Eric Goedken
    Null Device
    www.nulldevice.com
    www.nilaihah.com

Agree? Yes No

Hi,

I have to disagree with Todd on 'Counterfeit 2', as I really like Martin Gore's solo album (the John Lennon song 'Oh My Love' is one of my favourite Lennon songs and I'm so glad he did a version of it ). The production on 'Counterfeit 2' is excellent, although you must listen to it on a very good sound system to really appreciate it fully. On a regular home hi-fi system, the sonic production levels/balances are missing and this may account for the differences of opinion regarding it from people.

I do agree though with Todd's views on reviews, as it's all down to personal tastes in the end. A famous Irishman called Oscar Wilde said that there's no such thing as bad publicity, and in terms of reviews, it's a valid comment, as to have nobody talking about a release is as good as burying the release out in your back garden (no one will ever get to touch or hear about it!). It's worth noting too, that if all the reviews are negative, the band must go back to the drawing board.

I read, a few months ago here on EGN, many, many bad comments relating to a very popular 'synthpop' band who now own their own label. Those comments were very unfair, as no band should be made to feel that they haven't deserved good reviews. I know we all put releases out into the public domain and therefore must put up with either a good or bad comment, but do comments have to be so demeaning or insulting? It take a lot of hard work to create an album, we mustn't forget the people behind the scenes .........

Aidan
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Agree? Yes No

Normally I love anything Atom(tm) does but on that Martin Gore mix it's like he wasn't even trying.

I think I want to be a music reviewer who analyzes the musical structures. "Now this one has a nice fourth-sepcies counterpoint on track 5..."

Heh. I'll shut up.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

hehe... now this entire thread is turning into a MLG / DG / DM review. gotta love todd's humor!

Originally posted by NullDevice
    Heh, right now I'm more likely to buy the Intuition album just to see what all the fuss is about in that other thread.
    yeah, that is exactly why reviews are almost always a good thing unless off course you get constantly trashed. i like reading reviews. i only skim them and then use them to figure out what i need to check out. and what get's curious the most is when an album or artist get widely different reviews on different mags.

test

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Re: Reviews...good or bad?

Originally posted by NoirTech

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're just asking for the wrath of Stephanie (StphLadd) aren't you?
    ..but....I have to agree. ::ducks::

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to both of you now! NO it does NOT suck. Sheesh! How can you say that about my beloved Martin Gore???? ( I am bein sarcastic here. I know C2 isn't for everyone)You say those things about the pile o crap that is Paper Monsters, written by the rock god himself, Dave Gahan! :nod:

I will say that some of the songs on the album translated better live than they do on the album: By This River is one example of this. The song is eh, ok on the album but live? OMG!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, Martin only performed in LA. I wish that more of you had the chance to see him. He BLEW me away! He was soo incredibly beautiful. I was in awe. Those songs have new meaning for me.

If anyone wants a cd-r of the shows, send me an IM or a PM. I have: Stockholm (incomplete), Cologne, Hamburg, Paris (both recordings incomplete), Milan, London and the last night in Los Angeles (incomplete, but OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Agree? Yes No

Just as a viewpoint from the other side of the fence...

Reviews aren't easy to write, unless you put no thought into it (and it sounds like lots of you have seen those type reviews). I try to put a good bit of thought into each review. I always try to be considerate of how much effort goes into recording a album. It's even harder to be objective in a review. (I know, it's something I fail at regularly )

just my $.02..
    Nearly 700 of my reviews of various synthpop-related releases hosted by:
    www.synthpop.net

Agree? Yes No

I was *so* disappointed in Counterfeit 2. The first one was in heavy rotation for quite awhile, thanks to a preview I got on one of the "Just Say..." Sire record samplers. (I'm showing my age....)
    Dave Gahan's latest was [is] awesome. What has me perplexed, is that I always favored Martin over Dave, as far as vocal abilities are concerned. Lately, it seems to be the other way around.
    I guess my question is, Doc; "Shouldn't you be upping my meds?"
    Jamie

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Efreak
    Dave Gahan's latest was [is] awesome. What has me perplexed, is that I always favored Martin over Dave, as far as vocal abilities are concerned. Lately, it seems to be the other way around.
    Martin's voice is aging and Dave's finally learning how to sing... I personally like the "weathering" on Martin's voice... IT REALLY gives an intimate feel to the singing...

I agree with AIDAN however: You need to hear it on good Audio. My first impression was "THIS THING SUCKS SO BADLY...KILL ME NOW"... then I heard it on headphones and just about lost myself in the ... well to reuse the same word... intimacy... The vocals are so "THERE" on C2. Usually Martin is sooooo disconnected in his singing (He has a strong and healthy high baritone/low tenor voice). The singing on C2 is very soulful and vulnerable...

Dave

Agree? Yes No

The worst kind of reviews are non explanitary ones. By that. I mean a statement of dislike regarding something, without developing the reviewers reasoning behind the comments.
    Being vague, is also unforgivable in a reviewer, as it doesn't help the reader, artist or label. Artists and labels want to improve, we all strive to get better and please do believe me, when I say, that we all take on board constructive criticism, for the purpose of learning and improving. It makes the experience of developing that much easier, it really does.
    Whilst in a scene this small, it's not a nice feeling be reviewed poorly or for the reviewer not to grasp the concept of the album, I really do think that we're all objective and rational enough to see, that it all goes back to that 'personal tastes' issue as stated earlier. I personally wouldn't like to be a reviewer myself, as I've often found that I've only turned on to an album many listens down the line and that if I reviewed something on the first 5 listens it may have been a poor review, but if I'd waited that little bit longer I would have better understood the work and written a better review in the end. Maybe, we should consider starting a new thread here, called 'review the review and/or reviewer'? and turn the tables??? ;-)
    Just a wee thought ;-)

Aidan
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Aidan
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by CUBALIST MUZIK
    The worst kind of reviews are non explanitary ones. By that. I mean a statement of dislike regarding something, without developing the reviewers reasoning behind the comments.
    Being vague, is also unforgivable in a reviewer, as it doesn't help the reader, artist or label. Artists and labels want to improve, we all strive to get better and please do believe me, when I say, that we all take on board constructive criticism, for the purpose of learning and improving. It makes the experience of developing that much easier, it really does.
    Whilst in a scene this small, it's not a nice feeling be reviewed poorly or for the reviewer not to grasp the concept of the album, I really do think that we're all objective and rational enough to see, that it all goes back to that 'personal tastes' issue as stated earlier. I personally wouldn't like to be a reviewer myself, as I've often found that I've only turned on to an album many listens down the line and that if I reviewed something on the first 5 listens it may have been a poor review, but if I'd waited that little bit longer I would have better understood the work and written a better review in the end. Maybe, we should consider starting a new thread here, called 'review the review and/or reviewer'? and turn the tables??? ;-)
    Just a wee thought ;-)

Aidan
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Aidan
    www.empirestatehuman.com
    I THINK you can actually "Rate" a review on here.

Dave

Thread Information