Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Karl Bartos (ex-Kraftwerk member) To Perform In San Francisco, California

Agree? Yes No

Default Karl Bartos (ex-Kraftwerk member) To Perform In San Francisco, California

Hi all,

I just heard that ex- Kraftwerk / Elektric Music member Karl Bartos may be performing in San Francisco, California this coming September 2003. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and this is something I definitely would not want to miss so if anyone out there has any more info on this possible appearance would you please reply here or e-mail me at: jasonandsherry@earthlink.net ?

Thanks,

J :-)

Agree? Yes No

Hi Jason,

I encourage you to go to see him!! His input to The Man Machine, in my opinion, made it the album that it is. Anything he co-composed with Kraftwerk was always their best work. I recently read 'I Was A Robot' by Wolfgang Flur (ex-Kraftwerk) and it completely put me off the original Krafwerk members (they're very fascist) and then with hearing that Kraftwerk are releasing a new album finally, I was even more disappointed to hear 3 of the tracs will be new mixes of 'Tour De France'.

Enjoy the gig anyway!
    Cheers.
    Aidan
    www.empirestatehuman.com

Agree? Yes No

Oh yes, I definitely want to see Mr. Bartos. I hope someone who reads this forum can provide any additional info...

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by CUBALIST MUZIK
    Hi Jason,

I recently read 'I Was A Robot' by Wolfgang Flur (ex-Kraftwerk) and it completely put me off the original Krafwerk members (they're very fascist) and then with hearing that Kraftwerk are releasing a new album finally, I was even more disappointed to hear 3 of the tracs will be new mixes of 'Tour De France'.
    Is this a book that he wrote? i would love to read it

Agree? Yes No

I dont think the album will contain 3 remixes of tour de france, I think they are diffrent tracks with the same name Ala Oxygene 1-6

No-one knows for sure though !
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

Hi Arronc,

I see! Well that makes a big difference. My first reaction was 'Oh No, here we go again, little or no new material'. I'd still prefer a 100% album full of new music. I still think it's somewhat lame of the band to put so much effort into re-releasing 'Tour De France' (even though it's a new mix).

Hi NJOberheim,

Regarding 'I Was A Robot', it was indeed written by Wolfgang himself and it's a great read. I can't say I dislike the original member, that would be too strong a word, but I certainly look on them as 'fake'. Wolfgang talks much on his new band.

Aidan
    Empire State Human

Agree? Yes No

Aiden : The new single is not a remix of TDF : It is a new track.

The album will contain the original TDF track in remixed form but the single is all new material.

Its very subtle, but amazing. Even more subtle than Expo2000. The hi hats are now the cycle pedles, and you can hear them cycle, coast, and snap back into rythm. The lightness of touch on the track with geourgous tone clusters and cyclacle melodies are an extention of expo2000.

I think this release is very misunderstood, because everyone is hopeing for an "In your Face" new kraftwerk sound, which has never been their way.

If you take it for what it is, it is a genuinly pioneering track, but with a subly you dont often find in electronic music.
    a330n

Agree? Yes No

Arronc,

You a lovely way with words! You should be reviewing at Synthpop.net you really should ..... ;-)
    As I haven't heard the new material yet, I am very interested in it. I can't say that I am expecting it to be ''in your face'', as I did buy 'Expo 2000' and can appreciate were they're at now. In fact, come to think of it, Kraftwerk were never really ''in your face'', were they? More ambient really ......
    Did you see Gary Numan on TOTP's last week by the way? It was great to see him on that show again.

Aidan

Agree? Yes No

Aiden : If I were to write reviews, I would have to wahtch my typing /spelling , and I will nbot have my text quantized ! LOL

I did see him. Its great to see him back.
    a330n

Agree? Yes No

I do know what you mean! I'm guilty of the same myself ;-)
    The slip of our typing fingers, is probably more to do with the fact that we're very enthuastic people at heart with regard to our music and other people's music in general. I still think you'd be a good reviewer and this scene needs good reviewers, one that can explain why they hate a song/singer's voice/song writing/production etc, etc ..... ;-)

Any news on 'Robot Love'?

Aidan
    ESH

Agree? Yes No

Yup : its getting there :- will mail you privately !
    a330n

Agree? Yes No

Default KRAFTWERK performing at CYBERFEST 2003

Europe has M'era Luna, Doomsday, Eurrock, etc...

America has Cyberfest. And it has just been annoucned and confirmed KRAFTWERK will be headlining this years Cyberfest(a rave massive festical thing) in San Francisco sept 20th 2003.
    Goldie, Dieselboy, Mixmaster Mike are confirmed...though from what I heard, when the other headliners are announced peoples jaws are gonna drop. They really are trying to bring together all ends of electronic music.

Ok...Kraftwerk. For those of ya fuzzy on yer basic KW knowlege:
    http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/ar...tist=Kraftwerk

It is so cool to go back and hear early recordings of Silver Apples, Can, and Kraftwerk...to think all those years back they were doing something that several decades later would be still copied and homaged is amazing(just look at Ladytron or Fischerspooner)

Still, some questions linger: Who all that was originally in KW during their golden years(71-86) will be at the show?

Why does new Kraftwerk sound like its 1975?

Was Kraftwerk really fascist?

And where can I get a Kraftwerk action figure?

hmmmm...
    .:\\\\.:PockyBot:.//
    www.pockybot.com
    a cyberpunk kid...a tech girl, and a ninja penguin...the wacky cyberpunk adventure has begun

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: KRAFTWERK performing at CYBERFEST 2003

Originally posted by rivetbadtz

...it has just been annoucned and confirmed KRAFTWERK will be headlining this years Cyberfest in San Francisco Sept 20th 2003.

...Who all that was originally in KW during their golden years ('71-'86) will be at the show?

I think that's a misprint. I'm almost sure that they meant to type "Karl Bartos (formerly of Kraftwerk) performing Kraftwerk songs Live!" instead of "Kraftwerk Live! featuring Karl Bartos". Karl Bartos left Kraftwerk in 1991 and hasn't returned since. He has a new album coming out soon titled "Communication". I've already informed Herr Bartos' management about this possible misprint, and I'll probably e-mail Coolworld (the people behind "Cyberfest 03") and inform them about it as well.

Original members Ralf Hutter and Florian Schneider, as well as Fritz Hilpert and Henning Schmitz, represent the current incarnation of Kraftwerk. Now I hope they'll tour the USA in support of their upcoming new album "Tour de France Soundtracks" to (hopefully) be released August 5th on Astralwerks...

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Re: KRAFTWERK performing at CYBERFEST 2003

Originally posted by ElektroFunk

I think that's a misprint. I'm almost sure that they meant to type "Karl Bartos (formerly of Kraftwerk) performing Kraftwerk songs Live!" instead of "Kraftwerk Live! featuring Karl Bartos". Karl Bartos left Kraftwerk in 1991 and hasn't returned since. He has a new album coming out soon titled "Communication". I've already informed Herr Bartos' management about this possible misprint, and I'll probably e-mail Coolworld (the people behind "Cyberfest 03") and inform them about it as well.

Original members Ralf Hutter and Florian Schneider, as well as Fritz Hilpert and Henning Schmitz, represent the current incarnation of Kraftwerk. Now I hope they'll tour the USA in support of their upcoming new album "Tour de France Soundtracks" to (hopefully) be released August 5th on Astralwerks...

Very interesting...as Coolworld has already launched a big campaign online and through flyers with the big words "KRAFTWERK"(not "featuring a former member of Kraftwerk) headlining. So Im very confused...I guess I dont know much about KW afetrall...one of th emain promoters I spoke with
    said all the members of KW were dead, and that Bartos was th eonly one alive and they just replaced the other 3. So BArtos isnt even one of the current members, as represented on Tour De France!?!?

Hutter, Schneider, Hilpert, and Schmitz are stilla round, and still make up Kraftwerk...but its Bartos who will be "Kraftwerk" in san francisco...they should just send robots of themselves to play
    But seriously, Im confused...why would they launch a big ol ad campaign saying straight up its "Kraftwerk"...maybe they are getting the whole band?

Thatd be like getting Dave Ogilvie or cEVIN cEY to DJ and calling it "Skinny Puppy"...hmmmm...keep us informed on this.

I inquired of this anamolay to the promoters of cool world on one of their forums, hopefully we'll get a straight answer soon...dammit, I hope they truly are berining THEE Kraftwerk stateside.
    .:\\\\.:PockyBot:.//
    www.pockybot.com
    a cyberpunk kid...a tech girl, and a ninja penguin...the wacky cyberpunk adventure has begun

Agree? Yes No

Default Now it's official...

I just checked the Cyberfest 2003 website ( http://www.coolworld.com/cyberfest2003/ ) and now they've changed the listing to "KRAFTWERK'S Karl Bartos". I still encourage everyone who's remotely into Kraftwerk to go see Mr. Bartos perform. he does GREAT renditions of Kraftwerk songs live (more on that later).

Now, some Karl Bartos history (courtesy of www.karl-bartos.de, my CD / VCD collection and my personal knowledge): after leaving Kraftwerk in 1991 Bartos formed Elektric Music (with collabotator Lothar Manteuffel) and in 1993 released an album called "Esperanto", which as Bartos himself put it was "very Kraftwerk-sounding". It included the singles "Crosstalk", "TV" and "Lifestyle", and featured OMD's Andy McCluskey providing vocals on "Kissing The Machine". Also around that time, Elektric Music did a cover version of The Equals' "Baby Come Back" and an EXCELLENT remix of Afrika Bambattaa's "PLANET ROCK". Elektric Music also produced songs fror INSOC ("Where Would I Be Without IBM" and "To Be Free", for the album "Peace And Love Inc") and Our Heaven ("Heaven In Pain").

In 1994 Bartos and Manteuffel wrote a second Elektric Music album, and performed (at least) 10 songs from those sessions during Elektric Music's 1994 "Virtual Summer Tour" of Scandinavia. Sometime after the tour Bartos and Manteuffel went their separate ways, and the second "Elektric Music" album was never released.

So then Bartos went to Manchester to collaborate with Electronic, and co-wrote 9 tracks on "Raise The Pressure" (including the AWESOME electro b-side "I Feel Alright"), released in 1996.

Then Bartos did more co-writing, this time on OMD's 1996 release "Universal", and in 1997 did a remix of Superior's "Coma" (Komatrix Mix). In 1998 Bartos provided production and songwriting help on The Mobile Homes self/titled album, including the single & remix: "You Make The Sunshine".

In 1999 Bartos released a solo album under the name "Electric Music" (note the spelling change), featuring the singles "Sunshine", "Call On Me" and "The Young Urban Professional". This album is very "Brit-Pop" sounding, with lots of guitars and a lot less "Electro". But Bartos quickly returned to his electro roots with a remix of "Tour de France" (for a Warner Brothers compilation) and a remix of Anthony Rother's "Little Computer People". He also did a remix for Deine Lakaien's "Return" in 1999, and provided production and songwriting for Flatz on the 2000 album "Love & Violence"

In 2000 Bartos debuted his most recent single "15 Minutes Of Fame", a return to form. Druing that year Bartos, along with an additional keyboard player, performed several concerts, performing the following songs from throughout his musical career:

Numbers
    Computer World
    Metropolis
    The Man Machine
    Home Computer
    It's More Fun To Compute
    Techno Pop
    The Telephone Call
    Tour de France
    The Young Urban Professional ("Electro" version)
    Neon Lights
    The Model
    Computer Love
    15 Minutes Of Fame
    Pocket Calculator
    The Robots
    The Return AKA Encore (unreleased)

Now Karl Bartos is set to release his latest album "Communication" later this year, not to mention his upcoming appearance at Cyberfest 2003 in San Francisco...man, that's gonna be GREAT!!

Jason :-)

Thread Information