Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Should online radio stations DJs give their personal opinion?

Agree? Yes No

Default Should online radio stations DJs give their personal opinion?

Ok,....I have a new pet peeve.
    Lately I've been listening to a lot of synthpop radio stations online while at work, and I'm finally up to my neck with the following.
    I'll be jamming to a song they are playing (which I really enjoy, might be old or new), and after the song is over, they go ahead and tell me why that song wasn't any good. Yeah, they do say it's their personal opinion, but I'm not tuning in to listen to opinions about songs I like, ...that being positive or negative. I just want to listen to the songs and perhaps hear some news about the band or the CD, but not an opinion about the song they just played.
    Am I the only one annoyed by this?
    ------------------------------
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

Agree? Yes No

No, you're not the only one. DJs that talk over songs *period* annoy me.

I had the good fortune to catch a BT DJ set this last weekend and unfortunately the host kept breaking in yelling "Give it up for B...T! Make some nooooiiiiise! This a great track, yo!"

I can see them commenting on a track if they're actually doing a review (they do this on NPR) and that doesn't bug me. But if you're just playing it, the most I ever wanna hear is "this is x by band y, off their new album z." And maybe some trivia or news about the band ("blah blah signed to, used to have a member of such and such who went on to a career in...") etc.

Besides, if you're a DJ, why would you play a song you hate unless it was a request? And if it was a request, isn't it rude to essentially tell the requester they're wrong? Isn't there a whole school of DJ ettiquite about correctly turing someone's request down ("yeah, I'll try to work that in.")?
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NullDevice
    Besides, if you're a DJ, why would you play a song you hate unless it was a request? And if it was a request, isn't it rude to essentially tell the requester they're wrong? Isn't there a whole school of DJ ettiquite about correctly turing someone's request down ("yeah, I'll try to work that in.")?
    Well, sometimes you're forced to play music you don't like as a DJ at radio stations, say if your station has a playlist and you're required to play a certain number of songs of that playlist and the only thing remotely close to synthpop is Funker Vogt...then you gotta do it, but you're never supposed to negative about the music you play regardless of how much you hate it. It's very amateur-but then again, college radio is all about being amateur
    PANTS PANTS PANTS

Agree? Yes No

This is a good topic. I too have noticed certain, and I use the term loosely, online "DJ's" going way overboard with their personal opinions. There is one in particular based out of Toronto who regularly plays bands & songs that he later hacks down. He'll say stuff like "that's one of their worst songs, but whatever..." or "this band is highly overrated", etc. This always surprises me since it's not like he's forced to play any of them, and I highly doubt their appearances on his playlists has anything to do with fulfilling any sort of request. He also talks about his personal problems "on air" more often than he should, religiously trashes labels who don't send him promo anymore, mispronounces band names & song/album titles so often that I can't even keep track anymore, and sometimes even goes so far as to say "this is something I just downloaded".

There are MANY online "DJ's" who do this kind of thing, usually topped with a good dosage of ZERO personality. No wonder people (generally) don't take them seriously or wish to associate with them on promotional levels. There are a couple of good ones, but they are a serious minority.

Agree? Yes No

Two things I never do: Talk over the music, and criticize the music. I don't play songs I don't think are good. I also try to keep the extraneous babbling to a minimum.
    ====
    DAVID VESEL -- synthetic music for humans
    On the Electrogarden Network
    Official Web Site
    Your mileage may vary.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by David Vesel
    Two things I never do: Talk over the music, and criticize the music. I don't play songs I don't think are good. I also try to keep the extraneous babbling to a minimum.
    Sounds like I have a new radio station to listen to. :-)
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by maidenhed

Well, sometimes you're forced to play music you don't like as a DJ at radio stations, say if your station has a playlist and you're required to play a certain number of songs of that playlist and the
    And I suppose by "request" I should expand that to include "songs your boss/station owner/music director is telling you to play."

Sometimes I know that DJ's/MC's/ etc talk over a set to keep it from being effectively bootlegged. But that's generally pretty uncommon.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

I think we're confusing my original post of internt radio stations playing synthpop, with your everyday radio stations. I've never heard a radio station (none internet) slam a song before/after playing it. The original post was concerning internet radio stations. It just erks me when they do that. Especially when I have that radio station on at work, and people ask who is playing and/or why do you listen to that kind of music. Only for the DJ to come on at that exact moment, and slam the music himself. My co-worker just laughed. urgh!!!!
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

Agree? Yes No

When I DJ, I say 3 things ALL NIGHT... 1st, 2nd and Final last call at the bar. I cannot stand when dj's feel the need to bore crowds and talk incoherently, it just makes them less credible. The same goes for radio and internet dj's as well.
    DJ Arcatek

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by vleon101
    I thought everyone liked it when DJ's say stuff like, "Yoyoyo this is DJ ICE and I'm hear to rock your world. So let's get this party started... right?! [on a megaphone]"

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

I rather hear that than...

"That was VNVs new single which totally sucked. They have really gone down hill. I wish they would stop making albums. They were so much better when they first started."

The lesser of 2 evils? :-)
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

Thread Information