Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Synthpop Dead?

Default Is Synthpop Dead?

So I was reminiscing on the days when synthpop was a keyword and such and that style or at least what it was called was popular in the electronic music circles and some of the clubs. Is Synthpop dead? I heard some parodies on myspace about this and it sounds like the style got dissed or dropped or something.

Some of the bands are still around so is the style dead or was it just a word that is no longer used? Just do not hear anyone talk about synthpop anymore on the forums here or other places too.

From what I have seen, the word indeed lost the steam it used to have a few years ago. The music and the bands that are making it are still the same and some are still around. Technically even the big bands like Depeche Mode and Erasure etc., are all synthpop proper.

Also, lots of TV commercials and show intros would qualify as Synthpop so the word may be dead but the music is most certainly not.

Blog Entries

Honestly, in the last few years it seems that the "whole" scene related to synthpop and even industrial is dead. Lots of electronic music out there just not under the same umbrella or with the same audience. Small pockets of resistance can be found here or there but those groups are very small and mostly spend time just arguing among themselves over what music is good or bad or what exactly ruined the scene. Sad, but that is what I have seen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Honestly, in the last few years it seems that the "whole" scene related to synthpop and even industrial is dead. Lots of electronic music out there just not under the same umbrella or with the same audience. Small pockets of resistance can be found here or there but those groups are very small and mostly spend time just arguing among themselves over what music is good or bad or what exactly ruined the scene. Sad, but that is what I have seen.
    I agree completely.

For the older generation (30+) it seems to be on the dying trend. Funny how most of these "adults" can not even hang out on the same sites without endless bickering and flame wars igniting. It just leads to the eventual end of all such gatherings.
    ...I sure hope this is the real deal.

in short, yes. like vicky said
    i have been lurking at the 2-3 other forums that have any sort of activity left and it is a sad state of affairs fer sho'

Default Yes, Synthpop is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Red and Shiny View Post
    Some of the bands are still around so is the style dead or was it just a word that is no longer used? Just do not hear anyone talk about synthpop anymore on the forums here or other places too.
    Everything dies eventually.

We wrote a short eulogy here....
    http://www.synthpopisdead.com/

We don't think Synthpop died because no one talks about it.
    We think it died because....
    1. Technological (de)evolutions such as midi sequencing and (F@#!$) protools allowed musicians to be lazy and still get their crap signed (by A Different Drum).

2. It's simply a very difficult genre because making a song interesting while still retaining some minimalism requires zen like concentration and creativity. Same reason that Haiku or Dadaism died long ago, it's simply too difficult to come up with an original idea.

3. Western civilization has become to docile and pacified for any revolutionary musical movements. Green Day is considered punk.

We do believe in a natural cosmic balance and the power of natural law to maintain that balance and we do believe that as long as synthpop isn't forgotten, it will decompose and be recycled into future genres.

Everything dies, but nothing ends. Death is just a change of state. Never forget.

WTF? Synthpop is dead is a website? LMAO. I just posted this topic and there is a whole thing out there on it. But hey cool, thanks for the info. Nice to see the style was significant enough to warrant a site and discussion about it.

Nice.

Blog Entries

Pretty cool.

I thought I saw some song that someone put out there that had the same sort of theme, now I need to go look it up. It sort of made fun of synthpop in general I think.

Blog Entries

you mean this?

uh....... yea thats jon voight

If that is what synthpop sounds like then it is a good thing that it is dead.

Blog Entries

Yes Misc that is the one I was talking about. Entertaining at least. I think mostly what is the case is that underground synthpop is what has tapered off. Mainstream (loosely speaking) synthpop like DM for example is still alive IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Yes Misc that is the one I was talking about. Entertaining at least. I think mostly what is the case is that underground synthpop is what has tapered off. Mainstream (loosely speaking) synthpop like DM for example is still alive IMO.
    Yup, the underground scene fuddled and fizzled underground for a while and then instead of scratching upwards started to dig downwards.

I guess when you are underground and it is all dark and shit, it is easy to get your bearings messed up and the scene thought it was going up but the whole time it was diggin' down. And then the oxygen ran out. AAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Trentreant View Post
    Yup, the underground scene fuddled and fizzled underground for a while and then instead of scratching upwards started to dig downwards.

I guess when you are underground and it is all dark and shit, it is easy to get your bearings messed up and the scene thought it was going up but the whole time it was diggin' down. And then the oxygen ran out. AAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    LMAO Yessirriebob that is what heppened. Hey T were you aroung in the old EGN days, you sure sound like someone who was around then.

Bottom line is that yes it is all dead ! And maybe it would have faded regardless or maybe not, but one thing is for sure: at the current time ALL THIS AND RELATED IS DEAD

No. Because as long as there are fans of it like me, it won't die. I don't care if everybody bails on it and claims not to like it, I'll still be here. Listening to the old stuff and looking for new groups doing it like that. If I can't find any, then I'll start making it myself.

I remember what happened with the second Synthcon and what a fiasco that was. People have said that was the end of it right there.

It's just that simple.

It would be nice if some new music made it on to the scene to help clear up the "dead or alive" debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthere View Post
    It would be nice if some new music made it on to the scene to help clear up the "dead or alive" debate.
    Take the D.I.Y. punk rock approach and make it happen. I think I'm going to have to do the same.

After it's put out, if anyone talks sh*t about it...then you ask them "what are YOU doing for the scene?" 99% of the time the sh*t talkers are the ones doing NOTHING at all.

Need proof that synthpop ain't dead? Have a listen to these:

http://www.marsheaux.com
    http://www.northernkind.co.uk
    http://www.hyperbubble.net

Marsheaux is a two woman outfit from Greece which oozes style. You must listen to their new single "Ghost". These two ladies have style and class!

Northern Kind is from Sheffield, and has a major Human League and Yazoo sound. "On and On" makes me want to start my radio station again!

Hyperbubble is the Texas version of Freezepop. My favorite is the track "Leon", a song about a cat, complete with cutesy "meowww" samples. It's damn addictive.

There's more out there. My old favorites Ganymede and NukleoN have new songs out and new albums on the horizon, Empire State Human has a new album called Audio Gothic due out this year ...

I've been remiss in promoting this scene. No more ... I am back!

thanks for those links! I'll be checking them out as soon as I'm done typing this!! I'm always happy to hear of new groups coming out. I'm sure they aren't thinking about synthpop being "dead"!!

Blog Entries

Can synthpop have guitars in it? I don't see why not if it is part of the layering in the sound and not the main driver. Lots of synth sounds sort of emulate the guitar anyway. There was a synthpop definition somewhere online but I can not remember where.

Marsheaux is a two woman outfit from Greece which oozes style. You must listen to their new single "Ghost". These two ladies have style and class!

Northern Kind is from Sheffield, and has a major Human League and Yazoo sound. "On and On" makes me want to start my radio station again!
    OK now that's the sound I really like! Both of those groups are my kind of deal right there. Excellent!

Is it my imagination or is the European continent much more synthpop friendly than the US?

Thread Information