Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Synthpop Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellNeon View Post
    Yes, the age of controller/laptop is definitely here, the problem is the current loop based DAWs available don't really promote creativity. DAWs in the past are always designed for song structure instead of melody structure, so people get lazy and songs become well produced but the melodies are just boring (anything on ADD).

They need to make melody writing as easy and intuitive as production.
    You make a good point about the ease of production in the current popular DAW software, but I also believe that much of pop music was "loop-based" even before the advent of these modern tools. Certainly repeated riffs and chord cycles have been a staple of rock 'n' roll since its beginnings. Many excellent artists thrive using repetition.

For me, melody creation (and songwriting) will always be the most rewarding part of music making. I can't imagine wanting technology taking over that part of the process. I want my DAW to be a tool, not a partner.

They also need to reintigrate traditional music notation such as the 5 line staff.
    Dear god, please no.

Feed

Quote Originally Posted by Dplex View Post
    You make a good point about the ease of production in the current popular DAW software, but I also believe that much of pop music was "loop-based" even before the advent of these modern tools. Certainly repeated riffs and chord cycles have been a staple of rock 'n' roll since its beginnings. Many excellent artists thrive using repetition.
    Oh yea, repetition (pattern) is a must or it's just noise. The difference is that there are tiers to what can be repeated. For instance spot these patterns:

1010 1010 1010
    0001 0010 0100 1000
    111000 011001 001011 000111
    11011100 1011010 0110101 0101011 0010111 0001111
    11101110 11000110 01100100 10000011 10110011 11001101 11000101 00100110 10100010

Any further and my head will blow up, the point is that the current state of DAWs only allow you to easily see the relationships between the first two tiers, and that's great. But as they improve over the years, they only allow you to see the first two tiers better as opposed to seeing more tiers.

The next step will be for the DAW to suggest a variety of chords within a key or a variety of keys within a chord that you can try. We're still in the stoneage of music theory as far as DAWs are concerned and since pretty much all pop music is made on DAWs now, you get stoneage pop music.

For me, melody creation (and songwriting) will always be the most rewarding part of music making. I can't imagine wanting technology taking over that part of the process. I want my DAW to be a tool, not a partner.
    What's the difference?

As far as the stave in DAWs, I can understand why people wouldn't like that. I hate sightreading, it sucks in a way because it's like working out. But exercising those subliminal pattern muscles helps you see new things. It's also kind of old fashioned like military tradition. It's something we keep around because it works so well, and yet it's almost like it's so old we forgot why it works well. I wouldn't make it a critical aspect and force it down anyone's throat, more like an optional skin for a traditional looking DAW. They basically attempt to do it already with horizontal bars, they just don't show the entire format.
    Last edited by MaxwellNeon; June 10th, 2009 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Not to step on anyone's toes here but this site is clearly not very active in terms of people talking about synthpop or whatever is should be called.

Is this just the way it is everywhere else? Are there any sites out there where there is bustling conversation on this sort of music and topics? Again, not trying to dismiss this place or anything just looking for a place where more active conversations are happening.

Thanks.
    I know what you mean, there are alot of disenfranchised synthpop fans. I'm afraid it's gonna remain that way until a legitimate synthpop group hits the top 40, which might be never.

However, in 2006 Rihanna heavily sampled Tainted Love in her song, S.O.S. A few years ago, hip hop ripped off every disco song except for Van McCoy's "The Hustle." I foresee that an unknown rap artist will get rich overnight after ripping of a synthpop song, and everyone will follow suit. This will provoke renewed interest in synthpop as kids find out their favorite songs are crappy knockoffs of oldies. I predict someone's gonna get rich off of Kajagoogoo's "Ooh to be ah". Hip hop loves loud kick/high lead and slow tempos because they're easy to rap to.

As far as our lifetimes are concerned, the only way all the disenfranchised synthpop fans will be able to congregate again is if strong local partnerships are formed. Like the T-1000 rebuilding himself after being shattered in terminator 2.

I think one of the problems is that many of the people who find themselves currently drawn to synthpop are often the less social ones as they're well aware that their chosen style is far from mainstream. You have to break that shell and expose yourself and your music. I created a live365 station specifically to keep it alive and I've done pretty well but I'd love to have a specific venue for conversation and music sharing. Would you like to cooperate with me on bringing this about?

What's the difference?
    A tool does not make decisions.

A tool does not make decisions.
    Of course. No computer, not even the human brain, can do something you didn't program it to do.

Any further and my head will blow up, the point is that the current state of DAWs only allow you to easily see the relationships between the first two tiers, and that's great. But as they improve over the years, they only allow you to see the first two tiers better as opposed to seeing more tiers.
    Isn't this just a matter of scaling? It strikes me as more of a user issue than a software issue.

The next step will be for the DAW to suggest a variety of chords within a key or a variety of keys within a chord that you can try. We're still in the stoneage of music theory as far as DAWs are concerned and since pretty much all pop music is made on DAWs now, you get stoneage pop music.
    While this may assist the novice or less-skilled songwriter, having my DAW suggest notes and keys would be like having an annoying back seat driver. It sounds more like a learning tool than a compositional tool.

I can't imagine something like this producing anything besides predictable music, and it's not a feature I would ever want.

Of course. No computer, not even the human brain, can do something you didn't program it to do.
    Not sure what you're getting at with this statement. The human brain learns and forges unpredictable new neural pathways all the time. Besides the fact that it isn't actually programmed...

Still not dead. I've been gone for a while but still among the living! Still looking for new/old synthpop groups. I've just never been good at leaving it alone. I'll never care if it's popular or not. The glory days were of course in the early mid 80's with radio/MTV play and articles/photos in magazines. That's all gone these days but maybe someday......

I do not think it will ever die but it sure is not getting used much in the popular music these days. Who needs classes anyway it is all just music. You either like it or you dont. I did read that there was a community of people that kind of disappeared so that must hurt.

Default Synthpop is not dead ... but on life support it seems

I've managed to do some searching on facebook and have come upon some familiar faces!

Jeff Harper (Intervox), Ross W Beall (Simulator), Oliver Thom (Equatronic), the bands Avantgarde, Freezepop, another band called 8IGHT (formerly known as No Decay), and some new friends/bands like Haberdashery, Hypersoul, Hyperbubble. I've friend requested Electrogarden to them ... maybe we can all get the old gang together again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Synthpopalooza View Post
    I've managed to do some searching on facebook and have come upon some familiar faces!

Jeff Harper (Intervox), Ross W Beall (Simulator), Oliver Thom (Equatronic), the bands Avantgarde, Freezepop, another band called 8IGHT (formerly known as No Decay), and some new friends/bands like Haberdashery, Hypersoul, Hyperbubble. I've friend requested Electrogarden to them ... maybe we can all get the old gang together again.
    Yes, indeed that would be cool. Wonder what everyone is up to these days.
    ...I sure hope this is the real deal.

No, i don't think synthpop is dead, it just isn't as popular as it once was. But it appears that no particular genre of music is the dominant (or peferred) music choice at this moment in time, check this out http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/02/news...dex.htm?hpt=T2. Music sales (across the board) are down, and there are many reason for this, music fragmentation, uninventive and uncreative music. Every now and then I run through the radio dial and in my opinion (and that's all it is, my opinion) current pop/dance music (the sound and construction of it) is still stuck in 1999/2000 and hip hop hasn't advanced in a decade either, country is just plain dull.

Somwhere in this thread someone mentioned MTV, the 80's and synthpop. MTV was a unifyer through heavy airplay of synthpop bands they introduced others not neccessarily synth inclined to the genre. Also if you remember at this time when synthpop ruled other forms of music enjoy popularity as well. Looking at the past it seems that when one musical form is popular it boost the appeal of other foems of music. This happened in the late 50's with the birth of rock and roll, r&b also enjoed massive popularity as did the teen idols. In the 60's The Beatles, Motown and the twist were unifyers, bringing people together. In the 70's it was disco, and as mentioned in the 80's MTV and synth.

Today, what all music needs is a unifying force that brings it all together, and fresh new innovative sounds, but into today's fragmented music world I don't know if that will happen anytime soon.

Synthpop is not dead and as long as there is electricity it will never be, but it now exist in a world were there is no solid music landscape, in which it can stake a claim and amass a larger following.

Oh, I think ringtones are a part of the problem too. To me when popular music (synth and all the other forms) was reduced to ringtones by the record labels they also took it to a whole new and lower level and redefined "disposable music," they took it and made it akin to elevator music.

Damn, that is a huge loss in revenue. People are getting their music through all the digital media options that are available today I suppose. Too few actually want to own CD's as product.

Jesus, I had no idea this SITE was still around..let alone this thread

WOW

Default Synthpop is Alive!

Synthpop is alive and well, and the genre continues to see much new innovation,
    as well as lot's of regurgitation and classic tributes. It remains more popular in the
    scandinavian countries, and tends to remain the bastion of those artists who found
    it to be their particular niche, and sound.

It accounts for about 1% of any given harvest of four hundred new releases in
    electronica, and so there are still a steady stream of new synthpop releases at
    any given time.

These are my observations, in running this station.

Have a listen! (flash)

-Stark

I've been out of this small portion of the scene for quite awhile but anyone that thinks synthpop is dead has not been very attuned to what is going on in commercial music these days. I remember having these debates here 6-8 years ago and yes at that time ... synthpop was dead. But alas all things are cyclical. Mainstream bands such as Metric, Owl City, MGMT, She Wants Revenge just to name of few are certainly synthpop and use the name often. No, synthpop is not dead ... not by a long shot.

~Craig
    Last edited by KisstheStar; March 20th, 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Have not heard of some of these. Thanks for the clue.

Now to the Google mobile.

I have. I actually like this one from Metric.

I've been a member of the synthpop community since 92 with Anything Box newsletter, Control Alt Delete(from texas InSOC), Synth Music Network newsletter(Robert Semrow form Memory Garden), OING magazine in mid 90's... At that time it was a very exciting time.. The music was speaking for itself with bands like & 7 Red 7 , anything box, Cetu javu, Red Flag, Cause and effect, Elegant Machinery, Devision(old), Mesh, Rhythmus from Canada, Echoin Green.. My point is each band was original in their own right.. They each have a distinctive sound and memorable sound as well because for these bands, they focused on the melody(verse, chorus, middle eighth, etc).. I spoke to each of the bands after going to concerts and you know what they tell me when I ask them how they first write the songs? "MELODY, MELODY, MELODY.. MElody on the chorus before going to ask technology for help..

The othe thing that I saw when EGN was going to sleep in 2003 was the quality of music from bands is just not up to par... Sure, they use analog, blah blah but if the songi s forced and trying hard.. I'm not listening and I'm not buying.. Unfortunately, those were the same band that sucked that talked crap about other bands and created the drama here in the first place.. I'm just sayin.. I've hung out in Rock, or hip hopTriip hop forums I can vouche that what I experienced in a few years ago was just a bunch egos.. It sad that some fans care more what kind of DAW or synth these bands use and get judged for that... A good song is a good song right? It's the music not the Juno.. I'm not paying 20 bucks to see you live so I can see if you Midi'd your Jupiter8 to your sequencer.. It's stupid..

I'm disappointed in the lack of unity in our New Wave Synthpop love for music.. Oh, I better make it clear.. There's synthpop but I think we appeal to more is New Wave synthpop that's dark and poppy and a little left field.. Synthpop is madonna... New Wave synthpop is Devision, etc.. There is a difference..

Lastly, we are here in America and the attention span of American is like a dying elephant.. If we all live in Europe(Germany, Sweden, maybe England), it would be a different story.. I know that.. Synthpop/Electro will never die in Europe..

It's 2010.. resurrect synthpop again... Good new wave synthpop of course..

I just learned Marshaux, Northern Kind, Hyperbubble.. They are good.. I'll take it

New Wave synthpop fan,

Mark
    Last edited by Bornslippy; May 19th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.

Blog Entries

so is everyone to old now
    to go to shows or buy musis
    where is everyone now
    uh....... yea thats jon voight

Blog Entries

Is this old? I like this!

Thread Information