Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Is Synthpop Dead?

can't tell. is that an original video or taken and edited from something else?
    nice song though.

Whatever you guys! :P This is all you need, nuff said (Btw read the description of the video before making comments as this was a response to the Synthpop Is Dead video)

DJ Dark Cloud
    Department of Evil admin: http://www.departmentofevil.com
    Department of Evil members: http://latexradio.com/dept-of-evil/
    ~Goth~Industrial~EBM~Synthpop~Darkwave~Coldwave~Fu turepop~
    "The darker the cloud the better" ~DJ Nocturna
    "We are nothing more then temporary" ~Informatik
    www.nephilimhalls.com ~Promoting & Expanding Honolulu's Goth/Industrial scene~
    twitter.com/Nephilim_Halls
    Myspace.com/Nephilim.Halls
    Facebook.com/Nephilim_Halls

lol
    yea this was posted on here before too. that video is great.

Default Synthpop's alive!

Well, I just made my first post here in another thread called "Is Synthpop Alive?" so I'll try not to repeat myself too much. I'll just say that this question "Is Synthpop Dead?" has a special significance for me, as anyone who has seen my Synthpop's Alive video will know.

Obviously, I do NOT think synthpop is dead. In fact, I would argue it is as alive today as it ever was. The popularity of the genre has waxed and waned over the years, it's true, plus (as with any genre) the lines which define the style have become blurred with time... but it's most definitely still alive. Just take a look at The Pansentient League blog for a more informed opinion on the matter because I am most decidedly biased... and my credibility is dubious.

http://pansentient.com/category/synthpop/

A lot of great points have been made in this thread both for and against the vitality of synthpop. As a song writer and producer, over the past two years or so, I have made it a personal mission to make the genre relevant to my own life in the 21st century and not remain passively nostalgic for the "halcyon days of synthpop" in the 1980s. I have just released an album of songs called "Synthpop's Alive" inspired by the great feedback (both positive and negative) I received on the video. Whether or not my own efforts are in vain remains to be seen, but in the meantime as an avid fan and consumer of synthpop I am enjoying a genuine synthpop renaissance through many great bands both old and new (again check out The Pansentient League's "Top 10/20 Synthpop Albums of 2010" lists).

By the way, the original song and video were very hastily put together (I just couldn't wait to tell that guy how I really felt LOL)... and now I can't bare to watch it anymore. So I remixed the original video with the "release version" of the song which I think is much better.

Synthpop's Alive (Remix)

Some people have already written saying they preferred the old version of the song, so I'm keeping it up at YouTube... but I won't be watching it because it makes me cringe! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
    Well, I just made my first post here in another thread called "Is Synthpop Alive?" so I'll try not to repeat myself too much. I'll just say that this question "Is Synthpop Dead?" has a special significance for me, as anyone who has seen my Synthpop's Alive video will know.

Obviously, I do NOT think synthpop is dead. In fact, I would argue it is as alive today as it ever was. The popularity of the genre has waxed and waned over the years, it's true, plus (as with any genre) the lines which define the style have become blurred with time... but it's most definitely still alive. Just take a look at The Pansentient League blog for a more informed opinion on the matter because I am most decidedly biased... and my credibility is dubious.

http://pansentient.com/category/synthpop/

A lot of great points have been made in this thread both for and against the vitality of synthpop. As a song writer and producer, over the past two years or so, I have made it a personal mission to make the genre relevant to my own life in the 21st century and not remain passively nostalgic for the "halcyon days of synthpop" in the 1980s. I have just released an album of songs called "Synthpop's Alive" inspired by the great feedback (both positive and negative) I received on the video. Whether or not my own efforts are in vain remains to be seen, but in the meantime as an avid fan and consumer of synthpop I am enjoying a genuine synthpop renaissance through many great bands both old and new (again check out The Pansentient League's "Top 10/20 Synthpop Albums of 2010" lists).

By the way, the original song and video were very hastily put together (I just couldn't wait to tell that guy how I really felt LOL)... and now I can't bare to watch it anymore. So I remixed the original video with the "release version" of the song which I think is much better.

Synthpop's Alive (Remix)

Some people have already written saying they preferred the old version of the song, so I'm keeping it up at YouTube... but I won't be watching it because it makes me cringe! LOL
    I think it is pretty clear that while synthpop the music is alive, it is the synthpop community that died. Used to be online communities and real life communities that were into the music and artists. Now, all that seems to be gone. Too bad, cause there was some very good music brewing, IMO.

Wow! The last entry post here was 17 months ago. Too bad.

To get the creative juices and excitement for all things synthpop going again.....I give you this link (that many of you may have watched) on the roots of this music we all love!

BBC Synth Britannia is a documentary on the beginnings of synth based pop music in Europe with legendary groups such as Soft Cell, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, OMD, Visage, Yazoo, Erasure, etc. Check it out and get rejuvenated! I know watching this has certainly lit a fire under me for this wonderful music. It reminded me of why I got into this music in the first place when it was new and exciting!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BQxNYWuLlR...s640/legs1.jpg

Great video!

I think Synthpop, just like all other forms of rock, has just become an accepted subgenre that is often mixed and matched with other subgenres, rather than being classifiable as "dead". Jimi Hendrix declared surf music as dead in 1966, and still we see Dick Dale running around making music, playing gigs, and so forth. Also, Synthpop has been somewhat adopted, stripped down and slowed down by the post-rock/shoegaze movement.

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synthere View Post
    I think it is pretty clear that while synthpop the music is alive, it is the synthpop community that died. Used to be online communities and real life communities that were into the music and artists. Now, all that seems to be gone. Too bad, cause there was some very good music brewing, IMO.
    Yes the music lives but the community ... not so much. This community at EGN used to be vibrant back in 2002-2004 and even that died due to conflicting personalities and general frustration by the site admins (my take). I would love to know where many of the indy bands that would frequent these forums back ten years ago are now .... a sort of "where are they now" ...

Synthpop isn't dead, and neither are all of us old timers from the early EGN days. Here's a couple of the great newer bands out there to check out if you haven't yet done so...Mechanical Apfelsine, The Break Up, Tenek.

HAPPY LISTENING!!!
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Looks like I am posting on here for the first time in years.

Haven't kept up with the synthpop scene much in years, but in addition to classics like Wave in head and Empire State Human making new material, here's a list of underground acts that seem to make good stuff: Haberdasherey, Hypersoul, Cherub, Northern Kind, Parralox. And of course the new Men Without Hats, can't forget them. And the new Ultravox.

You should check out a LA based band called Peppermint Heaven.

Pretty cool synth pop band i've recently discovered and can't stop listening too.

Have some banging house remixes of their original tunes too, I particularly like the Eric Kupper Remix and also the Kris Di'Angelis mix of 'Plenty Of Time'

Check out their SoundCloud here:
    https://soundcloud.com/peppermintheaven

Thanks for the tip on Peppermint Heaven. I'll check them out. =)

No worries dude. Did you manage to check them out, or was it not your cup of tea?

This one is one of my favourites from the forthcoming EP!

Great links !! Nice to discover new synthpop sounds!

Thread Information