Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Synthpop Dead?

Blog Entries

guess this will never get answered
    can a genre really die or just get sleepy
    uh....... yea thats jon voight

Nothing so poignantly displays the death of synthpop like a good old analog crapping out.

Juno 106 voice just gave out. I love analog but sometimes it seems like it's not worth the trouble as they're so unreliable compared to softsynths or digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
    I can not believe that this site is still online.

http://www.spn.nu/

Weird, this has not been updated in 7 years or more.
    Yeah, I remember when I first got real involved on the internet in 2002 with EuroVision, I tried to contact whoever ran this site above to add us, and never got a response. Nor have I seen any updates or changes to it since.

Joe
    New website: http://www.bndmusic.com

Brand New Day - diverse electronic pop

Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellNeon View Post
    Nothing so poignantly displays the death of synthpop like a good old analog crapping out.

Juno 106 voice just gave out. I love analog but sometimes it seems like it's not worth the trouble as they're so unreliable compared to softsynths or digital.
    Yeah my Juno 106 died too, sounds messed up and warping on me, then i put it in the closet for about a year, until June of this year, when my house burned down and finally killed the Juno along with the rest of my house and equipment.

I miss my juno, but not the headaches though. Mine had been in the shop several times over the years getting repaired for this and that, but mostly for the sound going out or warping out of tune at anytime.

Joe

Default A sad day

Quote Originally Posted by brand new day View Post
    Yeah my Juno 106 died too, sounds messed up and warping on me, then i put it in the closet for about a year, until June of this year, when my house burned down and finally killed the Juno along with the rest of my house and equipment.

I miss my juno, but not the headaches though. Mine had been in the shop several times over the years getting repaired for this and that, but mostly for the sound going out or warping out of tune at anytime.

Joe
    We want cases shaped like coffins so we can bury our dead synths and give them a proper funeral. I have the replacement chips and I could theoretically keep them around forever, but I don't know if they would like that.

A Coffin might seem like a good way to give it a proper burial.

Instead mine was cremated in the fire along with everything else I had.

Sick humor, but true.

Unregistered

I think Lily Allen's number one hit - the fear - is in the style of synthpop, or as they called electropop. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-wGMlSuX_c ) It's a proof that this style of music won't die, but it is just not as mainstream as hip-pop. But a good song can still cimb up and top the chart.

you can do it yes ye s yes oh oh YEAHHHHHHHHHhttp://www.myspace.com/cstrandproductions

Blog Entries

I suppose it really depends on what we may consider synthpop is, exactly. I do not think that this has ever been finally put to rest. Heck, there are so many different opinions on just this aspect of this alone that discussions could last forever just to get that part of this nailed down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    I suppose it really depends on what we may consider synthpop is, exactly. I do not think that this has ever been finally put to rest. Heck, there are so many different opinions on just this aspect of this alone that discussions could last forever just to get that part of this nailed down.
    Oy vey. That has been tossed around on here many many times.

But you are correct that nothing was concluded. The only thing that made sense at the end was that music is so subjective that it is hard to put everything in neat boxes with little label stickers.

Moving on!
    ...I sure hope this is the real deal.

Sorry to hear about all of the dead analog synths here. But now it's time for this.......

plus this.....

= SYNTHPOP HEAVEN!!!!

SYNTHPOP WILL NEVER DIE!

Well, the thing is: There are things digital can do that analog cannot do, and there are things analog can do that digital cannot. There is room for both in my setup, and lately I have been experimenting more with digital stuff, especially the renoise program.

Also, go here: http://www.hobnox.com ... you get a virtual studio with 808's, 909's, 303's, effects units and a mixing desk! You can even do a live concert with this stuff!

Icon6

Well I've just jumped into the computer music arena. I ordered a M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2 controller keyboard which will be hooked up to my Dell PC. This will really streamline the process for making synthpop for me.

Since I'm new to this way of making music, a few people said to start with this one to learn with. Then I can upgrade later on after getting into it more.

Best of luck to you! I know it was exciting for me when I made my first purely synthpop song, "Technology" and put it out here for people to listen to. It's exciting!

Blog Entries

How do you use that? It looks like it is only 2 octaves of keys. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    How do you use that? It looks like it is only 2 octaves of keys. Just curious.
    I have m-audio products and they a left and right button that lets you switch octaves. It does feel limiting, but those small midi controllers are less expensive, more portable and take up less workspace. I would never use one personally, but it's alot easier to lug around than 61 keys. I should also note that some of the more performance sample based musicians like alan wilder or vince clarke often appropriated just one or two octaves of their controller for each specific sound. They way if you don't need to experiment and you're just playing a show, you can play a variety of sounds across your 61 key. Alan Wilder demonstrated this in DM 101. Still....kind of defeats the purpose of only having one octave on your controller, but it goes to show how single or seperate octaves are great, especially for doing a show. I'd never use it, I hate those tiny controllers. I use 3 axioms of the 61 key variety, I like them because they're light and relatively cheap, if it breaks you can just buy another.

There was a time when I was totally against midi and softsynths, but over the years the classic synths have gradually crapped out while less analog synths come out and the ones that do are just updates of classics. Softsynths are the future, but midi has got to go.

Yes, the age of controller/laptop is definitely here, the problem is the current loop based DAWs available don't really promote creativity. DAWs in the past are always designed for song structure instead of melody structure, so people get lazy and songs become well produced but the melodies are just boring (anything on ADD).

They need to make melody writing as easy and intuitive as production. They also need to reintigrate traditional music notation such as the 5 line staff. If you don't know piano, the staff seems unintuitive and confusing but when you learn classical piano you see why the same system has stood the test of time (1000 years).

Quote Originally Posted by ERIC31 View Post
    Sorry to hear about all of the dead analog synths here. But now it's time for this.......

plus this.....

= SYNTHPOP HEAVEN!!!!

SYNTHPOP WILL NEVER DIE!

Synthpop didn't die, it just got assimilated into mainstream pop.

[YT="NQdC7h609k8"][/YT]

Blog Entries

Not to step on anyone's toes here but this site is clearly not very active in terms of people talking about synthpop or whatever is should be called.

Is this just the way it is everywhere else? Are there any sites out there where there is bustling conversation on this sort of music and topics? Again, not trying to dismiss this place or anything just looking for a place where more active conversations are happening.

Thanks.

Thread Information