Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Synthpop Dead?

Blog Entries

The truth will set you free, right?

On that note. It is very uncomfortable to watch a "just stand there and let the laptop play" bands "perform". I saw one show where the audience was getting ill having to watch a few guys barely move as the "laptop" performed.
    ...I sure hope this is the real deal.

so negative and so true. fuk the stoopid scene

I don't think Vince Clarke and Alison Moyet (YAZOO) think synthpop is dead! Check out these live clips from their current tour. TONS of people having a great time with those great songs! This tour certainly could help synthpop come back up hopefully.

SYNTHPOP IS NOT DEAD!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VNPSMKugA&feature=user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-yoP-E3DXc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NN-9...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by ERIC31 View Post
    I don't think Vince Clarke and Alison Moyet (YAZOO) think synthpop is dead! Check out these live clips from their current tour. TONS of people having a great time with those great songs! This tour certainly could help synthpop come back up hopefully.

SYNTHPOP IS NOT DEAD!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VNPSMKugA&feature=user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-yoP-E3DXc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NN-9...eature=related
    Nice. Thanks for the links. This brings back some memories. Moyet is still holding a tune too. Synthpop lived that night alright. Here is a killer, sound is a little lame though.

Blog Entries

Oh wild stuff.

I heard about this tour but seeing it and hearing some of those old songs again is really tops. Thanks for that!

Is synthpop dead?

Who cares?

Is it mostly irrelevant as a genre name? Assuredly.

The big deal of synthpop in its heydey was that...hey, it's pop music! Made on synthesizers! That was novel and new and trailblazing.

Now, it's nearly impossible to find pop music that *doesn't* have synthesizers. So that definition is pretty useless.

Define it as a style of sound...well, that's just marketing death. As hip as it is, or at least was, to romanticise the sound of the 80's, nostalgia is always best appreciated ironically. All this sincere 80's emulation stuff didn't sell, whereas the tounge-in-cheek stuff got called "electroclash" or, later, "that DFA sound" and sold like gangbusters to bored indiekids in tight jeans.

So that's kind of right out, too.

And then there are a ton of bands out there raised on the synthpop of the 80's, making what you could call synthpop, yet who are rarely called as such. TPS, PlayRadioPlay!, Styrofoam, Psapp, and a score of other "indie synth" bands are doing just fine.

So, go figure.

Also, respect to Mr. Neon, but blaming the advance of technology for the death of a genre is, frankly, the easy scapegoat. And like most sucharguments, it ain't strictly true. Every advancement has its own set of pros and cons. ProTools and the rise of the DAW may have made it easier for everyone to be a producer, but, hell, it made it easier for *anyone* to be a producer. If it weren't for the DAW, I certainly wouldn't be able to record music, and I love recording music. Sure, it's capable of removing live spontanaeity from a performance, but it's also capable of fantastic and previously-unattainable effects and sound design. Tools are tools - they have no inherent nature of their own. It's all about what you do with them.

In the end, these discussions are futile, though, because time has shown that this will shortly devolve into a rose-colored nostalgia trip discussing how music was categorically better in the 80's and how every single piece of music written today sucks. Remember, kids, your parents said roughly the same thing 20 years ago!

Music today doesn't suck.

Just the music they play over and over again on MTV sucks.

Not that I would know, I haven't seen that station in probably over a year now... and no withdrawls, so I think it's safe to quit.

LOL

I do not think that this is about synthpop and what style/category of music it is or even how it grew out of a base of music from the 80's or anything like that and it is not about how maybe today's music is not good enough or it was better before or whatever.

This is about a community, a scene that died. A group that used to hang together. They would go to similar shows and gatherings like Synthcon or SPGTW or yes even DM concerts. They went to the same club nights. They listened to radio stations like WDRE on Long Island, or WHFS in Maryland for example. When MP3.com was the shit they were all on there together in their New Wave, Synthpop and Darkwave charts. That group/scene was host to many styles of music and synthpop was just one of those monikers. The music was electronic music in many flavors. This group/scene broke apart and is basically dead though all the members are still around.

Synthpop is just a term that gets tossed around for some reason, and has been associated with negativity.

Funny part was (at the time) watching "artists" try and distance themselved from synthpop as a genre and attempt to assign new "genres" to themeselves which has/had nothing to do with their success or failure.

Watch it!!

I have never been to a DM concert.

Blog Entries

I can not believe that this site is still online.

http://www.spn.nu/

Weird, this has not been updated in 7 years or more.
    ...I sure hope this is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by nulldevice View Post
    Tools are tools - they have no inherent nature of their own. It's all about what you do with them.
    What lost soul hasn't regaled in the unique splendor of an oil painting, a marble statue, a grand piano or an 8mm film?

Me and Neon are both depressed that you and so many others don't see their inherent nature.

i also disagree with the tools statement. when tools are so powerful and automated that they degrade the required effort down below any artistic levels so then the tools become impediments to real art.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
    I can not believe that this site is still online.

http://www.spn.nu/

Weird, this has not been updated in 7 years or more.
    LOL.

After reading that first line I though you meant the Electrogarden.

Cog Alive and kicking Synthpop is!

Slowly this is catching back on and the hardcore EBM/Electro groups are welcoming it back as something new and fresh because these are trying times we are in again. The dollar is worth next to nothing and the price of GA$ is impossible to believe. Sometimes a happy melody and a catchy tune are needed to put a good ole Synthpop smile on the face. Check out A DIFFERENT DRUM.com if you think the POP is dead. They have about 100 reasons and more that this is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by eM-dibroM View Post
    Slowly this is catching back on and the hardcore EBM/Electro groups are welcoming it back as something new and fresh because these are trying times we are in again. The dollar is worth next to nothing and the price of GA$ is impossible to believe. Sometimes a happy melody and a catchy tune are needed to put a good ole Synthpop smile on the face. Check out A DIFFERENT DRUM.com if you think the POP is dead. They have about 100 reasons and more that this is not true.
    I agree, and yet there are still 4-5 or so retards roaming around bad mouthing ADD most likely because their crappy music was rejected at one point or another by ADD or they are not in a band but somehow failed in the scene in other ways. Now these dweomors (sp?) have thousands of myspace friends, 2-3 real friends, one or two forums to act like they now anything, and of course, still no label and no deal. Congrats losers.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    I agree, and yet there are still 4-5 or so retards roaming around bad mouthing ADD most likely because their crappy music was rejected at one point or another by ADD or they are not in a band but somehow failed in the scene in other ways. Now these dweomors (sp?) have thousands of myspace friends, 2-3 real friends, one or two forums to act like they now anything, and of course, still no label and no deal. Congrats losers.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
    We wish this was the case but ADD apparently doesn't reject crappy music.

If you want an example of a label that is breaking ground with anachronistic genres, check out.

http://www.minimal-wave.org/

She searches out the best unsigned acts from the 80's and releases their old material. While bands do submit demos to her, she finds most of the stuff herself. She's like....the Indiana Jones of new wave. In one case, the renewed interest even motivated a band to reunite after 20 years apart.

She also spins a 2 hour show every sunday night on east village radio.

We should also comment that your vocab is quite immature.
    We don't think we'd EVER go so far as to label someone a loser for liking or disliking something.

You killed synthpop.

Reading this thread is about as pleasant as watching the "The Love Guru".

Monkey mustard, anyone?

lmao
    centurion watch your mouth and heed the wind

SynthPop Isnt Coool

Music SynthPop is Dead?

This weirdo doesn't think so... Let's make fun of him..

http://www.last.fm/music/SynthPop+Is...+Just+SynthPop

More proof that synthpop is not dead:

HYPERSOUL - http://www.hypersoul.co.uk/ - not from the UK, but actually Raleigh, North Carolina. This is some of the highest quality electronic pop I have heard since the heyday of Electrogarden. Recommended track is "Sensational". The debut album "Getaway" is now on iTunes.

THE DOSSIER - http://www.myspace.com/thedossierofficial - does that voice sound familiar to you? It should ... he was the lead singer of the legendary mp3.com band Joy Machine ... the project which eventually spawned Brand New Idol. Check out "Another Night Another Day".

EDEN - http://www.myspace.com/edenofficial - no, Empire State Human isn't the only electro outfit coming out of Ireland these days. Give these guys a listen!

Thread Information