Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Synthpop Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Can synthpop have guitars in it? I don't see why not if it is part of the layering in the sound and not the main driver. Lots of synth sounds sort of emulate the guitar anyway. There was a synthpop definition somewhere online but I can not remember where.
    I would say guitars are absolutely ok within the "synthpop" sound. There is an overall layering in many synthpop tracks that can certainly include some guitars, especially acoustic guitars. It would tend to move away from a synth sound if those guitars were the main meoldy drivers or so prominent in the mix as to totally overwhelm the synthetic aspect of the track.

Can synthpop have guitars in it? I don't see why not if it is part of the layering in the sound and not the main driver. Lots of synth sounds sort of emulate the guitar anyway. There was a synthpop definition somewhere online but I can not remember where.
    Did you mean this?

http://pub27.bravenet.com/faq/show.p...534&catid=1670

From my old Synthpopalooza website:

The Most Basic Question of All: WHAT IS SYNTHPOP?
    Put simply enough: Pop music played on synthesizers. As a general rule, the genre emphasizes strong vocal melody, catchy lyrics and melody, and is predominantly electronic. It doesn't have to be 100% electronic, but the electronics should be prominent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Synthpopalooza View Post
    Did you mean this?

http://pub27.bravenet.com/faq/show.p...534&catid=1670

From my old Synthpopalooza website:
    I think so, can't be sure it has been a while. Is that something new or has that been up for some time? There was some site called Synthpop Netowrk or SPN or something like that. My memory fails me.

Actually, I did the FAQ back in 2001 when Synthpopalooza Radio (then known as www.synthpop.fm) went up. There was also, as you said, the Synthpop Network (http://www.spn.nu) which was an extensive resource as well. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated since 2002 with the last news item posted being the formation of Cohaagen Music by Patrick and Dave from Ganymede.

I'm hard at work updating the new Synthpopalooza website, with a goal of having everything fully functional by the end of the month. By which time, I should have a few surprises for you!

The Most Basic Question of All: WHAT IS SYNTHPOP?
    Put simply enough: Pop music played on synthesizers. As a general rule, the genre emphasizes strong vocal melody, catchy lyrics and melody, and is predominantly electronic. It doesn't have to be 100% electronic, but the electronics should be prominent.
    That's probably the best answer to that question I've read! I agree with it.

Blog Entries

i think it also has to do
    with the singing style
    there is a certain way of singing
    in synthpop songs that is not the same
    as in other styles
    not sure how to describe it
    uh....... yea thats jon voight

So, after reading all of this, it seems like we all kind of agree. Synthpop as an organized "scene" has been dead for a while, but the music still thrives.

I myself would vote for Plastic Operator or Emilie Simon as current newer discoveries proving that synthpop is still alive and kicking. Of course, Emilie Simon pushes the easy-access pop boundaries a bit, but hey, that's just what I'm into lately (hence my change of sound away from what I was doing as Cosmicity a few years back to something a little less bouncy). And I do have a couple of Marsheaux tracks in my iTunes too. Hard to resist - especially their fun covers of 80's songs.

-m
    (Download my 7 best new songs as MP3s for free: http://www.marknicholas.org/listen.html)
    mark nicholas
    dirtyelectronic.com

I find it interesting that IMO electronic music is so similar across the board yet the importance of the genre or sub-genre name is still high. People tend to get behind names so if "synthpop" is dead then it is just the support for that name really that is dead. A group can form up and stand behind a concept or a moniker when in many ways that "thing" can really be called more than just by one name.

Overall, the support for synthpop is what died. Curious thing for me is what caused this and how and why it happened, especially considering we all agree that the music is still here.

A couple of the other names it has gone by are Technopop and Electropop. I never liked either one that much. Synthpop just sounds right to me.

I'm so far out of the loop that I've never heard it called either of those things. Although I have been calling, and most likely incorrectly, bands like IAMX, Shiny Toy Guns and the likes "Electropop"; bands like that are the closest you'll get to modern, updated "synthpop". Or something.

I don't know what killed off the support of synthpop, obviously there are a few people out there that like the music but not enough of them to make doing anything in that genre viable (ie profitable). It's been that way for a long time and hasn't gotten any better. People just don't go out anymore...to shows, to clubs, to...anything.

Blog Entries

I think that the scene or base for synthpop was or is just as big as the industrial scene which is still alive in some ways. Both of these scenes are heavy on the artists and low on the pure fans. Because of this heavy artists ratio and what comes with it the synthpop scene imploded from within with infighting and various dramas and the interest decreased over time as a result from all sides. The industrial scene has its share of fighting and all that ofcourse but they deal with it better IMO and it just seems to persevere. The synthpop or whatever crowd just ate itself to death from the inside and fragmented into a few pockets that are left here and there.
    ...I sure hope this is the real deal.

Good points made there Vicky. I think if we want to build this scene back up again, everyone has to put away petty differences and pull together. Support each others projects and be welcoming to new people. None of that elitist crap i.e. "i'm ok, you're a poser" that sort of thing that has been the downfall of many scenes.

Hee hee. So whatever happened to electroclash or something like that? Thought I used to hear about that one as a big new thing some time ago.
    - No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

the people that liked this music are all still around somewhere and i am sure that they continue to enjoy the synthpop of whatever. a scene though is formed when those people enjoy hanging out online or wherever and clearly as a group those people just decided that is not what they want lol

Well, if it's forums, and groups of people who hang out together, then perhaps our "scene" has splintered into a bunch of "mini-scenes" as such. I think the job is on us, as people who like the music, to spread the word, introduce it to others, and help it grow. And when the bickering comes along, just remember that we're all different and have our own likes and dislikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
    I think that the scene or base for synthpop was or is just as big as the industrial scene which is still alive in some ways. Both of these scenes are heavy on the artists and low on the pure fans. Because of this heavy artists ratio and what comes with it the synthpop scene imploded from within with infighting and various dramas and the interest decreased over time as a result from all sides. The industrial scene has its share of fighting and all that ofcourse but they deal with it better IMO and it just seems to persevere. The synthpop or whatever crowd just ate itself to death from the inside and fragmented into a few pockets that are left here and there.
    Interesting point. Seems valid and true though. I lurk at several other forums but choose to post here as it has not gotten nasty and dirty if you know what I mean. There are one or more places that have far more activity but the attitudes and content is not really my cup of tea. However, for a group to exist you do need lots of activity so it is a catch 22.

Blog Entries

Yesseriebob
    When things pick up there is so much drama that sometimes you would wish for a slowdown
    ...I sure hope this is the real deal.

Blog Entries

Like I said in another thread, personally this is fine for me too. Small and tight groups are a way to go IMO. If things pick up it would be nice but could be a problem at the same time.

Like I said in another thread, personally this is fine for me too. Small and tight groups are a way to go IMO. If things pick up it would be nice but could be a problem at the same time.
    Lets not get too small and tight since that just leads to eventual shutdown.

no shit. its been quiet everywhere lately.

Thread Information