Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Breakbeat Sample recommendations

Agree? Yes No

Default Breakbeat Sample recommendations

I'm looking for some breaks to mangle, glitch and destroy, as I am often wont to do.

Problem is, just about every CD I've found is either live-sounding bigbeat-style breaks (which are often too splashy for what I'm doing) or 1970's rare-groove funk breaks, which just aren't the right style.

I'm looking primarily for more restrained "pop" beats - I heisitate to use the analogy, but those of the Delerium variety.

Failing that, drum sample recommendations would also be appreciated. I'm not above making my own breaks to then re-chop.

(and before you ask, it's rather infeasible for me to get a live drummer into my studio. I don't know where I'd put him or her).
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

I know Simon Harris has a series of Breakbeat sample cds, you may want to start there.

They are available at amazon.com
    \"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt. Well I’m better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I can’t compete with that.\"

Agree? Yes No

Make your own breaks, foo', you're just gonna mangle them anyways, so you don't need a "real drummer".

Failing that, get the Amen break, and use it in every single song ever.

*edit* and by "make your own breaks", I imply "steal Ned's V-Drums again and beat them into a .wav for an hour".
    - BOGART SHWADCHUCK
    - EPSILON MINUS
    - http://www.epsilonminus.com
    - http://www.alfa-matrix.com
    -----
    - EPSILON MINUS - MARK II (am-1019cd)
    - on sale now at alfa-matrix.com

Agree? Yes No

Steal Ned's drums? They've been sittin in my basement since december.

Anyway, beatin out my own is eventually my plan, 'cept I'm running low on decent drum samples.

I like breaks. Real drummers come up with better rhythm patterns than I do.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

Try 2 Badd Mice... they did some very nice beats.
    because information is available in limited quanitities - IITF

Agree? Yes No

hey-

one sample disc in particular that i've found quite useful lately is: BT's 'Breaks from the Nu Skool'. plenty of excellent loops, which although very 'wet', are really detailed and interesting sounding. however, the disadvantage is mostly that they are quite easily recognized, i think. but, if you're planning to mangle them, it may not be a problem for you. plenty of cool production techiques in there too...

- tyler
    tyler / battery cage + informatik
    www.batterycage.com
    www.nymphomatik.com

Agree? Yes No

Heh. Already got 'em. I spend a lot of time de-BT-ify'ing them.

I'm gunna run out of those eventually.

I think I may just atke a few weeks after the album is finished to just record my own...
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Thread Information