Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Open question for SIDE-LINE mag

Agree? Yes No

Default Open question for SIDE-LINE mag

I titled this thread 'open' question because I'm curious to what other's input would be.

First off, to the editors of SIDE-LINE, thanks for a great mag.I have really enjoyed it so far and feel its gotten better each issue.

Now, my question.

Have you ever considered doing articles that are not band interviews but more about the scene? Don;t get me mistaken, I enjoy the interviews a lot, I would just like something to break them up. Here are some of my thoughts:

Regular articles:
    1) Top selling albums
    2) What is moving me (editors takes on the current CDs they can't stop playing)
    3) Top selling stores and/or web sites (this could greatly help artists distributing material)

Ideas for features:
    1) An annual 'State of the Industry'
    2) Where are they now? Find big bands from the 80s or 90s electro/EBM/synthpop scene and find out what they're up to.
    3) Day jobs. We know that many in this scene can't support themselves solely on the music. What do people do, when they're not doing music?
    4) Pioneer articles: How did Kraftwerk start out, what about 242, FLA, Klinik.
    5) Pioneer clubs/DJs

These are just some ideas. What are your thoughts?

Scar
    I am on myspace because no one else is.:
    Scar Chemik

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Open question for SIDE-LINE mag

Originally posted by Scar Chemik
    First off, to the editors of SIDE-LINE, thanks for a great mag.I have really enjoyed it so far and feel its gotten better each issue.
    Thanks for the nice comments, I'll just answer a few questions and then let you all rant on the rest, as I seriously think this is a nice way of knowing what you all want...

1) Top selling albums
    3) Top selling stores and/or web sites (this could greatly help artists distributing material)
    For 1), we all know what sells best , don't we? That's what is charting everywhere...
    For 3) Both electrogarden and Side-Line work with a hq online shop, namely Music Non Stop, for the goods from the scene, and it is one of the topselling ones as well for the anglosaxon world. Since they carry Side-Line you know that we trust them... non-payers do not get our issues.

2) Where are they now? Find big bands from the 80s or 90s electro/EBM/synthpop scene and find out what they're up to.
    We try to do that, there's only 1 BIG problem: there are a lot more new interesting bands than old interesting ones , but expect something special on Mute for the next issue !

3) Day jobs. We know that many in this scene can't support themselves solely on the music. What do people do, when they're not doing music?
    Sometimes we do insert this in the interviews, because it's also something we like to know from a human interest point of view. Do know that not all of them want to share this, but it's indeed a nice idea to have an article dedicated to this... not bad.

Keep on ranting...
    Kind regards,

Bernard Van Isacker
    http://www.side-line.com
    http://www.alfa-matrix.com

Agree? Yes No

One thing I'd love to see - and not just in Side-Line, but in any of the genre mags - are more expansive music reviews.

Lemme explain.

Pick up any genre rag - in just about any genre, too - and the max you'll get for an album review is one, two paragraphs. It's almost always capsule reviews. Pick up a copy of Rolling Stone, or even Keyboard, and they give you a column, maybe a column and a half. Pick up a newspaper, sometimes they'll devote half a page to an album review. But each iteration here gets farther away from the "niche" music we all like.

So I'd love to see in-depth reviews of more stuff. The capsules give you an overview but never really get much beyond "I liked it" or "I didn't like it." In longer reviews you can find out much more - I've read some negative reviews and decided I wanted the album anyway since the precise reason the reviewer didn't like it was the reason I thought it'd be good!

I often find it frustrating to pick up a magazine, read through the review of some band I only have a vague familiarity with, only to find out that I don't know anything more about their album than that the reviewer liked it.

Now, obviously this is limited by the fact that any mag gets approximately 53,000 tapes and CDs per month, and can't review everything. But maybe a coupla pages devoted to really getting under the skin of a few albums...that'd be way cool.

Just food for thought.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

what would be realy interesting could be reports about specific labels. what are their bands, what is the concept behind, how do they work and promote...
    maybe a new point of view.

letīs start with alfa matrix. they have a lot to tell and itīs worth to listen to them. i know that...

best regards
    \"We are under fire in the line of death!\"

Agree? Yes No

from time to time we have insights on labels, perhaps we should have alfa matrix featured, why not
    Kind regards,

Bernard Van Isacker

Agree? Yes No

Heh... sounds like all you peeps need to pick up the new Industrial Nation next month.

Features include: an exclusive chat with Ministry's Al Jourgensen, and interviews with new Skinny Puppy collaborator Otto Von Schirach, X-Marks the Pedwalk, David Thrussell of Snog and Black Lung, Seabound, L'âme Immortelle, God Module (by yours truly) , Rapoon, In Strict Confidence, Neuroticfish, Stromkern, Ultra Milkmaids, Nebula-H, Beefcake, and the visionary art of Kenneth Hung.

Plus the usual scene reports, gearwhore reviews, and several other editorial columns... what more could you ask for Starchemik?

Agree? Yes No

speaking of it, Side-Line 44 will have exclusive interviews with DAVE GAHAN, LAIBACH, PRAGA KHAN, DELERIUM, ...., we'll soon start the pre-orders for the mag, so stay tuned, there's also a special package coming together with issue 42 featuring ANDY FLETCHER and CLIENT to name just two...
    Kind regards,

Bernard Van Isacker

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by PTInc

Plus the usual scene reports, gearwhore reviews, and several other editorial columns... what more could you ask for Starchemik?
    You could start by spelling my name right....

kidding...it will be interesting to see IN return. I still have the first 4 issues they made but they're in BAD shape.
    I am on myspace because no one else is.:
    Scar Chemik

Agree? Yes No

Well.. the January issue has been out since well... January... but yea... its about time America gets a proper zine already.

Thread Information