Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeing the "scene"

Agree? Yes No

Default Seeing the "scene"

Let's talk about the "scene". Is it concept or a way of life?
    A is A

Agree? Yes No

For me it's a concept really...I don't live my life according to fashion or specific genre...I'm a true synth addict throughout, but I also like so many other genre's of music so I can't identify with only one area of music...

However, I am fully dedicated to the scene especially the supporting of independant artists and to help this whole thing become mainstream again...I think the world should be a part of this, theres a lot of really unnoticed bands right now that should be heard... JMO

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

I am usually associated with the "goth" scene. I really don't think much of the word scene. I just live my life as best I can. As for the synthpop scene, if Depeche Mode and Red Flag are part of it, consider me a supporter.
    Can you feel the satin sea
    So deeply blue, inside of me ~Diary of Dreams

Agree? Yes No

For me, the ''scene'' only exists on the internet. I live the synthpop lifestyle by frequenting various web pages and through this forum. As 7red7 stated, I'm also interested in many different kinds music. There's only so much time in a day as everyone knows, so by the time I get finished with work,athletics, and spending time with my family, I have just a short amount left for musical exploration. It's really enjoyable to hear about everyone's experiences through this forum. I am so far-removed from going to clubs or shows.
    Cheetah

Agree? Yes No

Yes, it seems the synthpop scene is a lot of people who find there are bands other than DM or PSB out there making great music and digging deeper to find out who they are. There is a special 'underground' for enthusiasts. As frustrating as it is to know that some great bands may never be 'discovered' by the mainstream, it is fun to introduce people to these great artists for the first time.
    Complicating. Circulating.
    Operating. Generating.

Agree? Yes No

i'm just heavily into the music scene

roll out
    i guess i\'m an underwater thing
    so i guess i can\'t take it personally

there\'s a sea secret in me
    it\'s plain to see that it is rising
    but i must be flowing...liquid diamonds

....and we all went to heaven in a little row boat
    and ther was nothing to fear, nothing to doubt...

gloria.hawa@rxsol.com

http://destined.to/glo

Agree? Yes No

The only thing that really really really bugs me about scenes (aside from the usual elitism that oftentimes comes along with them) is that people start to believe that bands in a scene somehow "owe" them something. For instance, a lot of people got annoyed with Apop or Anything Box when their sounds shifted from the old days into a new sound. People claim that they are "turning their backs" on the scene. Like once you have a certain sound and people start to like it, you have to lock yourself into this sound to please these people forever. Sure, I don't like it any more than any one else when a favorite band releases an album that isn't as good as their previous ones. But I don't feel like the band ever owed me or anyone else anything.

I paid my $15 for the cd and I got a good cd. I paid my $20 for a show and I got a good show. I received what I paid for. Any future music these bands want to produce will cost me additional money. I didn't pre-pay for another 5 years of guaranteed good albums. Our monetary relationship was completed as of the last album, any support that I threw their way was of my own volition.

That's what annoys me about scenes - a sense of ownership. The "we made you, we can break you" attitude. Like buying the cd's you enjoyed in the first place was hard work.

My $.02
    \"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.\"
    - Homer Simpson

Agree? Yes No

damn. well said 2x

i am not a part of the scene at all either besides what i do online and in my bedroom (with the stereo ya sickos!) i have no friends into this music so extending my participation any further is rather difficult and quite frankly it doesn't bother me. i'm not into clubbing but if a band were to play closeby i'd go. so far the only show i've been able to see was vnv.
    i design stuff...
    --> drxdtcm

Agree? Yes No

I gotta chime in again becuase interface2x and Draxijn you both brought up really strong points...

I agree that too many so-called fans turn their backs on an artist after they change a particular style or sound...I see it as a transition to another lever (a maturation if you will)...Bands are all human beings whether some fans care to admit it or not, and people change over time...Besides I think that if a band released albums year after year with the exact same sound I would get bored to tears of the same thing over and over again...Also, when a band changes it's sound, it could very well be for the better...I don't agree with every bands choice in direction (A-Pop included), but I still respect them and support them as a band, and I still bought the albums...

And ultimately, thats what it comes down to; Buy the albums, see the shows, and maybe even request the songs on the radio...No one said you have to religiously go clubbing every weekend, or wear a uniform to identify yourself, just continue to support the artists in whatever music it is you like, that way you can help assure they conitnue to provide us albums so we can b**ch about them changing their sound

My 2 & 1/2 cents

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

How would SynthPop be a "way of life"?
    For me, I'm also into alot of different types of music. I enjoy supporting the synthpop scene though. I have a lot of friends here, and I would love to see them go places with their music.
    Go synth!
    ------------------------------
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

Agree? Yes No

Here in Germany, a very vivid EBM and dm scene exists. My bf, me and our friends are all members or at least closely associated with regional dm fan clubs (Frankfurt Devotees and Hamburg Devotees). We are almost every weekend on a dm party in our city our somewhere else. As the distances are short in this country and it's heavily populated, you can go to a dm party on every weekend if you don't mind a little drive. Sometimes even great acts, like melotron or perfidious words, perform on such parties. On a regular basis, the devotees meet for other activities, too, as e. g. for bowling.
    I also think that EBM definitely is a scene of itself. Of course it's closely related to Goth, but it's not identical. The difference may be less noticeable in clothing, but it's very distinct in attitude. I'm a dm party addict and gloomcore chick and I never want to be anything else!
    - LEAD ME INTO YOUR DARKNESS
    WHEN THIS WORLD IS TRYING ITS HARDEST
    TO LEAVE ME UNIMPRESSED -

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NoirTech
    For me, I'm also into alot of different types of music. I enjoy supporting the synthpop scene though. I have a lot of friends here, and I would love to see them go places with their music.
    Go synth!
    I was just being sarcastic (as usual) about synthpop being a lifestyle NoirTech. Unless you're in a band, it's probably not a way of life. But who knows, I could be wrong about such things.
    Cheetah

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NoirTech
    ask mr. durrant over at a different drum. now, there's a way to make it a way of life!

does he know he's gonna make it into the rock and roll hall of fame some day?

timly grae
    \'i started out with nothing, and i\'ve got a whole lot of it left.\'

Agree? Yes No

Heh. Funny you should mention that. I was about to call him.
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

Agree? Yes No

Default [edited for content]

Scenes Come and Go...Music endures.

I think there are many of us "in" a scene but not limited to/by it. I couldn't imagine life any other way. The most successful at "a scene as a way of life" adapt constantly. - Cases in point Madonna, U2, Sting... We may not always like the adaptations, but they do still thrive.

Oddly enough - the older i get.. the more involved I become on every level... maybe it's a sort of scene preservation mentality?

Agree? Yes No

And discussion threads come and go!

I have scenes....

....the synthpop scene on the Internet.
    ....the family scene where I don't get to spend enough time in the studio because I'm watching the boy.
    ....the scene inside my head where I'm a quirky but inspired genius.

I wonder if there's an age limit to being in a scene. At 35, even if I could care, I don't know if I'd give up my nap to participate actively.
    ====
    DAVID VESEL -- synthetic music for humans
    On the Electrogarden Network
    Official Web Site
    Your mileage may vary.

Agree? Yes No

i guess i don't really "see the scene"..

i dig music... i love making it, i love listening to it, i need it like i need water..

i'll turn my back on musicians when i don't like their music anymore.. i have no qualms about that... artists don't owe me jack but frankly do i owe them anything either? they'll get my economic support when i buy tickets, cds, and discuss their music (which in turn can promote it) if they are friends i'll support them as i would any other friend but that's where it ends... music is made by people... there may be a higher power that brings the muse upon people .. *shrug* i try not to place too much in that for the simple reason that if there's magic going on -- i want it remain magic. (outside of my realm of understanding)

outside of economic support i guess i'm not big on the "moral support" end of things. i'm a strong believer that an artist needs to find internal validation... what this translates to me is that i have a small fanbase.. (but believe it or not, I'm discovering I actually do have one which is wierd to me) what rocks about people who are into my music is that everything i do is always a work in progress... i'm constantly reworking songs and reposting them to my ampcast site... and i'll get emails from random people telling me what they like/dislike about the changes... for me... that ROCKS... that makes this hobby so worthwhile for me.. i get to build and improve as well as connect with others... on a fairly close to one-on-one relationship... if I have a scene at all: THAT'S IT... the people that I discuss music with... my music or other people's music... it's all good...

in the end it's yet another social diversion...

it all is what it is... i really don't like sticking things into boxes because if you put a lid on a box you may miss out on something beautiful once the light changes.

dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Seeing the "scene"

Originally posted by darnocany
    Let's talk about the "scene". Is it concept or a way of life?
    I've never understood the idea of a "scene being a "way of life."
    I know kids into the goth scene get worked up about this one all the time but think about it, a "way of life" is just that, its the means by which you live and what you do to go about attaining those means. To call a "scene" a "way of life" would be like saying there's a "synthpop food" and a "synthpop" way of eating it. Just doesn't make sense to me.....

I just have a serious dislike for defining a "scene" as a "way of life" as I've found that most of the people who do are generally the snotty little kids at the goth/EBM/whateverthehell clubs who give you evil glares for daring to set foot on their "territory" and not having dyed hair and black clothes.

Not only that, to define a "scene" as a "way of life" is so constricting. I prefer to keep my options open: I listen to synthpop, EBM, altrock, rap, country, classical, etc..... and god damnit I love American Idol !!!!!!

x krystal x

Agree? Yes No

A scene??? A community at EGN yes ...a scene??? donīt know......pity īcause I think if thereīs a scene this is one of the most lethargic/passive and unsupportive ...synthcon??, SGTW???... this has been discussed a number of times in this forum...You want a real active-energetic-supportive scene? go to your nearest salsa club....

Synthpop fashion ???? what the heck is that????
    Costa Rica Synthfest, April 1st 06
    www.crsynthfest.com

Agree? Yes No

Do thin piano ties count?

Are we bringing those back?

Thread Information