Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know of any good Ambient?

Agree? Yes No

Default Does anyone know of any good Ambient?

Seems like it was a great idea that just didn't go far. Whenever I go to the music store there maybe one CD under Ambient. Lately, I've wanted to check some good stuff out and haven't come by too much but some. Similarly I'm seeking some good chill-out. I was hoping to hear some artists work on here but anything that sounds good in this category would be nice. PEACE MJ

Agree? Yes No

Depends on what you mean by ambient. If you mean the Enigma/Delerium/Dead Can Dance/Deep Forest kind then try the Encyclopedia of Enigmatic Music site. Pretty much covers most of the major groups in that vein:

http://home.global.co.za/%7Ejvd/encyclo.htm

As for the other types of ambient, I have no suggestions there.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Changeling
    Depends on what you mean by ambient. If you mean the Enigma/Delerium/Dead Can Dance/Deep Forest kind then try the Encyclopedia of Enigmatic Music site. Pretty much covers most of the major groups in that vein:

http://home.global.co.za/%7Ejvd/encyclo.htm

As for the other types of ambient, I have no suggestions there.
    No, no way. Dead can dance and Enigma are two totally different groups though I like them both for different reasons. If someone refers to them as Ambient then so be it. When I say Ambient I mean atmospheres and non-melodic textures that rarely have a touch of rhythm to them. I guess it's just not within this crowds realm of knowledge. Keep me posted. MJ

Agree? Yes No

Shrug...Try aphex twins, vainqueur, ministry of sound, go to the store or online and get an ambient album from various artists to form your own likeness's and opinions to gather which groups you like and dislike. Whatever groups you like then spend the 15 or so dollars on their album.
    DJ Arcatek

Agree? Yes No

dehuman:

true, Dead Can Dance and Enigma have a different sound but I think the point of that site I posted is that all of the music there has some form of "chant" aspect to it. Both of those groups do. That's what all the groups on that site have in common. To me, that type of music is a cross between ambient and world music. If you want the floaty non-meledic kind of ambient then maybe look throught the ambient charts on electronicscene.com or ampcast.com. Lots of stuff to wade thru there.

As for finding ambient on this site, I think it's pretty obvious there is like maybe a handful of tracks on here. If it hasn't sprung to your attention yet, this site is mostly geared towards synthpop and the like. And as such, a lot of the people here are gonna be into that type of music. You will probably have better luck asking for suggestions on the electronicscene.com board.

good luck

Agree? Yes No

"Apollo" by brain eno
    "Who's afriad" by the art of noise
    "Flux and Mutibility" by David Sylvian/Holger Czukay

Would be my top 3

Actually : This seems as good a point as any to get some feedback :

Here are two of the electoacoustic Ambient peices which will hopefully form part of the Eight to Infnity Debut Album "Ether" :

http://www.8inf.com/audio/ehter1.mp3
    http://www.8inf.com/audio/ether2.mp3

Let me know what you think !

For some reason the interface wont let me correct the urls which should be :

http://www.8inf.com/audio/ether1.mp3
    http://www.8inf.com/audio/ether2.mp3

a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

Here's a link for an online music streaming website. It's actually a really good site with different genre's to choose from, it has synthpop as well. It has several stations for ambient.
    http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?sgenre=Ambient
    DJ Arcatek

Agree? Yes No

theres this german group i was kinda into years ago in junior high...they called Oval...they make all their material using cd skips...and not like just fragments of pre-exsisting tracks skipping, -but the audibal code emitted when the cd skips...

Agree? Yes No

REALLY GOOD AMBIENT AND CHILL-SHIZNIT

aphex twin- selected ambient works vol. 2 (one of the best)
    Brian Eno-Music For Airports
    Blade Runner Soundtrack-Vangelis
    Groove Armada-Vertigo & Goodbye Country Hello Nightclub
    Royksopp-Melody A.m.
    Tangerine Dream-Green Desert ( one of the coolest albums I've ever heard)

hope they help
    peace

Agree? Yes No

I'll check out the ones I havent heard from this list. But what do you like about aphex twin- selected ambient works vol. 2? It was just loops slowly repeating. I mean anybody and I mean anybody can do that. I heard like 4 songs though so who knows? maybe I heard the crap. I know vangelis blade soundrack is great. It's a bit old though, meaning I would think there would be newer stuff. I'll check out that tangerine dream cd and some others. Thanks! MJ

Hey, I have some examples of some of my ambient work that you may be interested in. http://www.gradientweb.com/tracks.htm
    Look under ambient and you're more than welcome to hear other tracks as well. MJ

Agree? Yes No

ok, this thread now has me totally confused :loco:

first dead can dance and now röyksopp mentioned as ambient? i gotta admit i'm not all that into the genre (or genre-definitions in general), but i'm starting to question myself if i have any idea what ambient is.

anywayz... here's my fav ambient records (or at least the once i use to refer to as my ambient records, when people ask):

the klf: chill out
    biosphere: patashnik, polar sequences (absolutely love this one)
    the orb: most everything, but esp. adventures beyond...
    higher intelligence agency: freefloater

anywayz... most of you probably know them, but those are the ones i like (and own).

... still confused though. anyone knows what the definition of ambient music is?

Agree? Yes No

Don't really know if this would help, but I recently discoverd a cd called Amethystium (aphelion). This cd is great! It is very relaxing. I would describe it as, New Age/Ethereal/Ambient. Some hits of Enigma too. Check it out you won't be disappointed.
    Shall We?

Agree? Yes No

i'm going to double the recommendation of Flux and Mutability... most awesome...

Actually if you pick up Sylvian's Gone to Earth about 1/2 of the CD (it was originally a two Record set) is REALLY nice ambient work.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

I think most of you are confused what ambient is.

Brian Eno coined the term "ambient music" in the 1970s when he released a series of wildly experimental, seminal albums that included Discrete Music and Music for Airports. These albums contained music meant to exist in the background -- music that could be forgotten about but was nonetheless present, continuing to impact on the listener.

Check out
    Brian Eno, Sylvian, Windy & Carl, Noisegate, yellow6, A positive life, thehigherintelligenceagency, antenne, etc.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by pop
    I think most of you are confused what ambient is.

Brian Eno coined the term "ambient music" in the 1970s when he released a series of wildly experimental, seminal albums that included Discrete Music and Music for Airports. These albums contained music meant to exist in the background -- music that could be forgotten about but was nonetheless present, continuing to impact on the listener.

Check out
    Brian Eno, Sylvian, Windy & Carl, Noisegate, yellow6, A positive life, thehigherintelligenceagency, antenne, etc.
    There is a another genre with that same quality...oh yeah music for elevators. My point is music for backdrop purposes has existed for before Eno, Thousands of years before in fact. I would also like to point out that just because a man was said to be the first to come up with a genre doesn't mean that's what it remains to be. Take alternative for example. At one time this meant 80's underground music from the cure to skinny puppy. At least to everyone I knew that used that term. It simply meant an alternative genre to what is pop..with a few exceptions. Since then some executive from Clear Channel decided to change the approach to music on the radio and they started playing Seattle grunge and coined it alternative. In the mid nineties if you said alternative music most people thin of Seattle when, just a few years prior it had more to do with Europe. So what a genre is is two things. What it is to YOU, and what it is to the general public. He may have started it and he may not have. One thing is for sure this genre is hardly clear defined in the minds of even underground music listeners.
    That being said, please review my atempt at creating what i would like to hear as Ambient. It's a raw recording of my synth with some reversed overdubbing. Thanks.

http://www.filecommander.com/file_do....cfm?FID=18%20

Originally posted by DJ007
    Here's a link for an online music streaming website. It's actually a really good site with different genre's to choose from, it has synthpop as well. It has several stations for ambient.
    http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?sgenre=Ambient
    I prefer the drone zone myself.

Agree? Yes No

There isn't another genre with the same quality.
    That is what Ambient music is.
    The existence of Ambient music started with John Cage, but
    Eno made it popular. Ambient music has evolved into a beat oriented in last seven years, because bands like Aphex Twins and Autechre combined IDM with Ambient.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

Lustmord.
    eric.!td
    www.ptinc.net
    www.darklink.org
    www.blackoutzine.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by pop
    There isn't another genre with the same quality.
    That is what Ambient music is.
    The existence of Ambient music started with John Cage, but
    Eno made it popular. Ambient music has evolved into a beat oriented in last seven years, because bands like Aphex Twins and Autechre combined IDM with Ambient.
    This is every enthnomusicologist's definition of Ambient. People also seem very much addicted to tying Ambient directly to Electronic. Not really all that correct. The reason I agree with the nitpicking here where I usually DON'T is that Ambient has a very specific definition of purpose. It's not "MUSIC AS A BACKDROP"... it's music where the environment is the music (or the music becomes the environment). There's aestetic values and production goals that define it. Compositional techniques.

Essentially it's one of the few legitimately "NEW" forms of music UNIQUE to the 20th century... to me, I guess, that gives it a certain importance...

but then again, I may just acting like a geek.

dave

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by cliffwalk

This is every enthnomusicologist's definition of Ambient. People also seem very much addicted to tying Ambient directly to Electronic. Not really all that correct. The reason I agree with the nitpicking here where I usually DON'T is that Ambient has a very specific definition of purpose. It's not "MUSIC AS A BACKDROP"... it's music where the environment is the music (or the music becomes the environment). There's aestetic values and production goals that define it. Compositional techniques.

Essentially it's one of the few legitimately "NEW" forms of music UNIQUE to the 20th century... to me, I guess, that gives it a certain importance...

but then again, I may just acting like a geek.

dave
    Number one you are kind of acting like a geek but that's OK. I see we have many personality types represented here at the garden. Anywho you guys tend to feel you KNOW what Ambient is. But I say that the term is RELATIVE to how you determine what gives it that title. So one person may say "well Joe such and such came up with the name and he defined it in an interview as this..." But somebody else can come along and read the definition from the genre dictionary by rolling stone and read it different. So to me a genre is how I see it from the influences I have received and what I feel best fits that definition. And I gave you guys that damn link but nobody will listen .

What I feel Ambient is, is not music at all! It is Ambiance. A presence. Soundscapes. If you call Enigma Ambient than you can toss in a million other groups. And I have the feeling that Eno did both Ambient and otherwise because what I heard didn't even come close in MY book whatever that is worth. I heard guitars and singing a allot of familiar musical score. I haven't heard his "Music for airports" yet though. But to restress my real point here. I feel that ambient doesn't have a beat or may have a very, very slowly progressing one. See that's what makes it new. It's the absence of music, yet you can Actually sit and listen to it if you want. If you toss in a beat then it becomes Chill-out, or Downtempo. Thank you.

Agree? Yes No

You know what's weird? Dehuman asked for some chill out music and ambient stuff, and we get into the fuucckkin legistics. C'mon y'alls-do genre titles really matter that much? If it's good music, it's good music. And if you have to use a word that other people wouldn't dare use to describe a genre, USE IT. If someone doesn't like the music , because of what you CALLED it, they're a ffucckin moron. Sorry, but it's true. Just because a word is dated, it doesn't mean you shouldn't say it or get made fun of. Grow up, man. I know some of the labels are trivial or blend into others, but gimme a break. Oh-the Sling Blade soundtrack has some amazing ambient tracks on it.

Thread Information