Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kiss the Star.com 95% up and online!

Agree? Yes No

Check out BNI's site...it's an excellent example for a good band site. It's simple, neat, and to the point. It has alot of good information, song downloads, etc...and the site is very self explanatory and easy to use....plus it looks pretty good.

Kris \'Destral\' Wilke
    kris@destral.net
    www.destral.net

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Brand New Idol
    Sean if KTS was an artist on my label I'd be less than complacent as to say "who the hell am I" when it comes to the potential promotion a website offers one of my artists. If your happy with it then so be it. I just think if you are looking to draw people to your artists it's in your interest to give critical observations as well.!
    Kris, I agree, and I'm really not trying to start a war here. I consider us friends as well, both with you and with Craig.

I have given my critiques, directly to the artist. There are points on this board that I fully agree with. But, as the label that represents KTS, I didn't feel it necessary to bring my suggestions / viewpoints to the general public. This is an internal affair, as labels often have with their artists.

As I said before, the title of this thread speaks volumes. 95% up, and I just felt that many here are being way to critical with their critiques. I've always gotten a bad vibe when it comes to the EGN viewpoint of KTS, and maybe, as his label, I feel as compelled to defend KTS as I do complacent in the public eye.
    \"...that\'s not music! I mean, it\'s ok if you only know three chords, but for God\'s sake, play them in the right order!....\" Hank Hill - King of the Hill

\"...Hi Guys, the band club is collecting bottles and cans for the homeless; ironically taking away the only job the homeless have....\" The Midget Tuba player - \"The New Guy\"

Agree? Yes No

I'm too lazy to read through all the posts here, so I apologize if this was mentioned. Anyways, I like the loop! Sorta reminds me of some old skool Abox material...I mean pre-PEACE era. If you are going to keep the loop, can you remove the pause at the end so the loop is continuous?
    e n d o r a : chicago-based synthpop
    info@endpop.com
    www.endpop.com

Agree? Yes No

Way to critical? I dont understand what there is to really defend KTS against....I've only seen some more or less constructive criticism about the WEBSITE.
    Kris \'Destral\' Wilke
    kris@destral.net
    www.destral.net

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Destral
    Way to critical? I dont understand what there is to really defend KTS against....I've only seen some more or less constructive criticism about the WEBSITE.
    Really, I've only heard one KTS song... so personally I don't think Destral, myself or anyone commenting on the website was assessing the bands' abilities or talent. It just so happens that a lot of people who are on this forum have web / computer related jobs and wanted to make friendly sugesstions because we care about our eachother... we are too small a scene not too.

No need for war here, we're all friends Sean. I completely understand your position because I have to clear sites with my boss (your equlivilent) our GM, plus artist and management before any information, images, etc. "goes live" to the web. Your internal label affairs isn't our buisness here, nor should it be. We just assume that since the site went (95% disclaimer or not) live that it was approved.

namestade
    anna

Agree? Yes No

Getting a free critique from not only one but several experienced web developers is a gift.

For the record, I'll sum up my opinion. Look up the term gestalt. This site needs to be worked on until it has one. And then.. it needs a non-flash version made as well.

The ideas are cute. I can feel an almost disco/skating rink sort of vibe. But... well.. for instance..

The fonts.. I saw like about 6 fonts on the site. They had no relationship to each other. Their usage makes no sense to me. (I mean they clutter up the message so much that I can't see the forest through the trees)

I'd say more like 75% up but hopefully my advice is taken with same spirit that everyone else's is intended: CONSTRUCTIVE.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

i found the site to be a bit of a nightmare for the reasons some have posted. mystery buttons and that cpu-crusing lens flare and animations are my two biggest complaints. flash is alright if used properly. music definately needs to be muteable and if thwe whole site is flash you might wanna use the loadMovieNum() command to make the site module-based to give the impatient users a break. and if you want a band to have a professional representation...you HAVE to get rid of aliased and distorted images. i don't mean any disrespect but i feel it's useful feedback. and yes i've broken many of the rules of design myself =)
    i design stuff...
    --> drxdtcm

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Destral
    Check out BNI's site...it's an excellent example for a good band site. It's simple, neat, and to the point. It has alot of good information, song downloads, etc...and the site is very self explanatory and easy to use....plus it looks pretty good.

I agree 100% with Destral. The BNI site is really nice. That is the type of site I like. Not envasive, easy to navigate and it looks really nice.

I personally don't care for flash for any element of a website(eg body or menu) but then thats just a personal preference. Flash is useful to present videos, animations, or music on separate pages. I like any site I visit to be fast loading and chock full of useful information.

One drawback of having a complete flash website is that it is impossible to bookmark any place but the front page of the website. I like to directly navigate to certian portions of a website which is impossible with flash.

-steve
    \"Need to be proud of what you are...\" - Echo Image

http://spilog.org

Agree? Yes No

I'd be glad with a simple update... we've had the same look since 1999. I'm can't do much on my own - probably a good thing.

[word of advise to all bands: do NOT adte your webdesigners. - how am i supposed to operate my digital watch now???]

date .... ( dmned typos!! - I'll blame it on Anna's Birthday gifts)

Agree? Yes No

LOL.
    Kris \'Destral\' Wilke
    kris@destral.net
    www.destral.net

Agree? Yes No

ok, well...hmmm......after re-reading all the posts, and then reading my last one, I must say I did come off as a bit of a jerk. Maybe I was having a bad day. Maybe working 60+ hours in the week took it's toll on my senses, or maybe I just misread what people were trying to say. Either way, I feel it necessary to retract my previous post, and say "I'm sorry". I do still stand by my artist (s), but maybe there was more constructiveness then I first read.

I'd also like to say that the webmaster for the KTS site has put up a HTML version, and the flash version is "under construction".

Sheepishly yours,

Sean
    \"...that\'s not music! I mean, it\'s ok if you only know three chords, but for God\'s sake, play them in the right order!....\" Hank Hill - King of the Hill

\"...Hi Guys, the band club is collecting bottles and cans for the homeless; ironically taking away the only job the homeless have....\" The Midget Tuba player - \"The New Guy\"

Agree? Yes No

I would have to say after re-reading the posts Sean sure came off as a.....HEHEHE Just kidding..no harm no foul...ick did I just use a sports reference?...ok apparently I'm having a weird week too...

Styk

Someday I'm gonna stand by my record label or something....

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Although it really wasn't intended as such, this turned out to be a sort of beta release version of a KtS website ... many items suggested here have gone into a revamped version Mark worked tirelessly to get up. There are still more tweaks and a few corrections in process. Thanks again ... and thanks Mark ...

oh yeah and thanks for your support Sean ....

~Meg'n'Craig

Agree? Yes No

i failed to mention mark that the direction you took with that goth/metal band's site is much better. why not try and use flash and html together like you did there? i foun that site was attractive and easy to navigate. i meant no offense with my comments...i'm far from being a perfect designer myself. keep up the effort =)
    i design stuff...
    --> drxdtcm

Agree? Yes No

In the spirit of helping I'd suggest editting the text on the site. The grammar is not very clear in quite a few places. Also, the forced justification on the BIO is sort of awkward.

Much nicer overall, however.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Well you have an HTML site also sooner or later a 56k freindly Flash site with a pre-loader. Some people I felt have had hidden agenda's. I have no time to listen to join in on pathetic childish games. More additions will appear on the site as they come but it should load pretty quick as its only a few kbytes a page !

And I've tested it in Netsacpe and IE5.5 and 6. It seems to work fine!
    Draxjin I take your point mate( and note you are a good webdesigner), I just find HTML very limited and i find HTML based webdesigners very anti Flash in General. In the UK HTML is being phased out on loads of Music Site's..So I will re-invent the flash into something very vector based and eyecatching to show the limitaitions on plain HTML site's. Also this time in a much smaller swf file.

mark

p.s craig and meg send me any pic's etc a.s.a.p.
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Kirlian Blue
    Some people I felt have had hidden agenda's. I have no time to listen to join in on pathetic childish games.
    again, all I read was constructive and qualified criticism which is obviously, AGAIN, not what people like on this site...

hehe... business as usual I see... best of luck *shrug*

dave

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Styk
    ..no harm no foul...ick did I just use a sports reference?...ok apparently I'm having a weird week too...

Styk

Someday I'm gonna stand by my record label or something....

Hey, It's the NBA playoffs time, so all is forgiven!

Go Jazz Go!

Sean

Agree? Yes No

I'm trying to figure out what my hidden agenda is, considering I'm a web designer just offering some critique....and having no connection to anything in the music field besides being a fan.

=(
    Kris \'Destral\' Wilke
    kris@destral.net
    www.destral.net

Agree? Yes No

aren't you a member of some militant, iFrame pushing organization kris? come on...you're not fooling anyone =)

if (you have any clue at all) {
    DallasMavsFan=You;
    }
    i design stuff...
    --> drxdtcm

Thread Information