Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Royksopp, Jarre, etc?

Agree? Yes No

Default Anyone into Royksopp, Jarre, etc?

In the last few months my friend has gotten me into a lot of Euro electronic music thats away from the dance scene. Bands like Royksopp from Norway, or newer Jean-Michele Jarre(perhaps one of the few guys who does 100% live techno shows)

Anyways, Royksopp' Melody AM album is so good...it's like ambient dub chill disco pop...but not.

And Jarre's Metamophesis(2000) album is really really good for those who like Delerium/word beat dance type stuff.
    .:\\\\.:PockyBot:.//
    www.pockybot.com
    a cyberpunk kid...a tech girl, and a ninja penguin...the wacky cyberpunk adventure has begun

Agree? Yes No

I'm a long time Jarre fan. However, I really haven't heard his new material...the last album I heard was the '97(?) release of Oxygen parts 7-13.
    I am unfamiliar w/Royksopp.
    Complicating. Circulating.
    Operating. Generating.

Agree? Yes No

How many albums did Jarre release after Revolutions? I stopped listening to his stuff after that one, but I liked the stuff he did before. How has his sound changed since the 80s?
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by labrat
    How many albums did Jarre release after Revolutions? I stopped listening to his stuff after that one, but I liked the stuff he did before. How has his sound changed since the 80s?
    Um, a bit more electronic dancey with that Deleiumish organic world beat sound...I love it!

Btw, I urge anyone into electronic music of any kind to check out his epic dvd...man, youve *never* see a concert that big...it makes U2 show slook like a street corner puppet show.
    .:\\\\.:PockyBot:.//
    www.pockybot.com
    a cyberpunk kid...a tech girl, and a ninja penguin...the wacky cyberpunk adventure has begun

Agree? Yes No

Thanks! Sounds cool, I'll have to go check it out.
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

I like most of the early stuff : Oxygene, Equinox. Zoolook is good. Sessions (new album) is pretty worthless though. I lost it a bit with JMJ after waiting for coustau.
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

I like Royksopp and JMJ also, but I must agree that JMJ hasn't been able to get my attention with his recent work as he used to. Oxygen 7-13 is nice, but the CD he released with vocals I didn't really like it. I don't know about the new one (Sessions?). I have seen it on sale everywhere, but somehow the voices in my head didn't tell me to buy it yet.

Agree? Yes No

I love Royksopp. It is different and catchy. It is a very simple song writing, but fantastic heavy layered production which they produce all themselves.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

if you like röyksopp you should definately check out the new album from erlend øye, the guy who sings on remind me. the album is called unrest.

Agree? Yes No

If you ever get a chance to catch Röyksopp live take the opportunity they are amazing! In a more deep house vein the Tom Middleton remix of remind me is def. one to look out for, for those Sunday afternoon chilled ones.
    \"The art of diplomicy is to say \'nice Doggy\' till you can find a big rock\"

Agree? Yes No

One of these days I was bored at home late at night, couldn't sleep, and was flicking through channels and channels of crap on TV. At some point I arrive in MCM (French Music channel) and they are passing this really great Royksopp live concert. It must have been in a festival... it was raining quite a bit but still there was lots of people there to see them. Of course I stayed up until late and saw the whole thing. The show was very simple but very nice, and the live versions were quite different.

Agree? Yes No

I love Royksopp too! I got a chance to see them in NYC recently and they were great! they do some interesting live vocorder stuff and live percussion!

they're going to be playing the Feild Day Fest (for those of you on the east coast)

Agree? Yes No

I like JMJ, altho to be honest, like most here I prefer his earlier stuff up to Zoolookologie ... altho to be fair I really did like Oxygene 7-13 ... it's all his classic stuff that is one of the direct influences on my own music.

Agree? Yes No

Erlend Oye sang on Poor Leno by Royskopp

and if you like Remind Me then you should check out the remix that James Zabiela did of it... its amazing stuff

i second the recommendation of the Erlend Oye album

i also recommend Alpinestars

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Synthpopalooza
    I like JMJ, altho to be honest, like most here I prefer his earlier stuff up to Zoolookologie ... altho to be fair I really did like Oxygene 7-13 ... it's all his classic stuff that is one of the direct influences on my own music.
    I just never could get in to JMJ.... Way too Yanni for me. Brilliant performer from what I've seen in DVDs but overall ... I dunno... it just doesn't strike me...

I just recently have listened to some Royskopp, however, and will definately be expanding my collection with some of that...

my tastes are changing which is kind of cool... i was starting to think I was REALLY stuck in my tastes for a while and was beginning to worry... just turned out that I was listening to the sucky new stuff...

dave

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by cliffwalk

I just never could get in to JMJ.... Way too Yanni for me.
    Bad comparison, Dave.
    Operating. Generating.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by chriswdc

Bad comparison, Dave.
    I dunno, I rented the DVD where he played portions of Oxygen for the Anniversary of Moscow. Great DVD, very much a retrospective of the growth of Electronic Music over the past... I dunno... 20 some odd years..

Anyways... the performance just struck me as.. well, It made me think of Yanni... The music was just OK... it was very 80s soundtrackish and didn't seem all that adventurous for a guy that gets SOOOOOOOO many kudos.

It could be me, however... that IS the extent of what I've heard of him but I would've guess that it's somewhat representative considering how recent it was.

*shrug* I would've paid money to play that forking concert with him, however, that was some fun stuff to watch. Ensemble synth is always fun to watch if you're a keyboard player...

I thought he did do some interesting stuff with the Theremin on stage.

Dave

Agree? Yes No

Hmm, I guess that's pretty fair. I suppose the tremendous influence Oxygene had on me may prevent me from thinking of him as being as sterile as Yanni seems. I suppose I give him a 'get out of jail free card' due to his past accomplishments.
    Operating. Generating.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by chriswdc
    Hmm, I guess that's pretty fair. I suppose the tremendous influence Oxygene had on me may prevent me from thinking of him as being as sterile as Yanni seems. I suppose I give him a 'get out of jail free card' due to his past accomplishments.
    i could change my mind tommorrow Yanni might have been a bit rough... I mean what I heard did have its moments when the only thing I think of when I hear Yanni... is... Yanni, are you sure that isn't spelled Yoni?

Dave

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by technosapien
    Erlend Oye sang on Poor Leno by Royskopp
    ooops... sorry

Thread Information