Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some new A-Box info

Agree? Yes No

I have no problem with a band maturing and changing their sounds a little to keep up with the times. Case in point... De/Vision does this to perfection while maintaining their style in at least the same genre of music! BUT, Would AC/DC "maturing into a country music type style really be looked at by their fans as a refreshing change and just a natural progression in their musical style?
    Give me a break! Abox has practically changed their music just as drastically and I guess some fans out of respect for their awesome classic music have given their new music enough listens that they have actually gotten used to a completely different genre of music that has lost all of its original qualities that made it great! I have friends who when they thought synthpop/new wave was dead in the 90s actually turned to country music because they no longer had the options of buying new Synthpop and they followed the masses in their area and started listening enough to country that they CONVERTED!
    YUCK! BLASPHEMY! I have seen it, listening enough to something will convert almost anybody, BUT NOT ME! I am not that mindless, but you guys are welcome to call crappy music good if you like. I guess if Depeche Mode "matured" and started sounding like Hootie & The Blowfish, some of you fools would still follow along and think that was great too!
    When Anythingbox lost their catchy beat and perfect melody, they began to suck! I will not blindly follow music that does not continue to at least stay true to the musical qualities that made it great in the first place. (At least stay in the same genre!)
    I pray that someday Anythingbox will put out good Synthpop music again for their original hardcore fans. They once had some of the most devout hardcore fans of any band I had ever seen. Fans Jumping up and down and singing every word to every song in their concerts etc. Now most of their ORIGINAL fans dont even buy their new cds anymore! It seems like the band has turned their back on us with their complete change of genra/style.
    Anyway, I have now vented and said my peace!
    VIVA SYNTHPOP!

Agree? Yes No

when is this new album Stereo TV being released?

Agree? Yes No

tclutz-

I don't think it's about mindlessness in the fans, I for one think the new DM sucks a** but thats another topic altogether...

Now back to ABox, it's like I and even apparently Claude said...It's not about rules or "genres"...Hence the band has the freedom to convert as you put it to anything they'd like while maintaining their name as long as it is their expression through the music
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

I respectfully disagree, Tclutz.

I have seen it, listening enough to something will convert almost anybody, BUT NOT ME!
    I can't really say that repeated listenings "forced" me to like the newer Anything Box material, but even if it had ... what's the problem? It's not like having something grow on you is "fooling" you. Either you liked it from the start or you liked it after some time ... both ways end positively. You have music you like. And if your friends abandoned synthpop for country ... does it matter? I imagine that they still like the old synthpop while liking the new country. Good for them - they broadened their horizons. I wish that I liked country music because if I did, there would be all kinds of great cd's out there for me. I just can't get into it, that's cool.

I will not blindly follow music that does not continue to at least stay true to the musical qualities that made it great in the first place. (At least stay in the same genre!)
    Who said that we're following blindly? There are plenty of bands that I have dropped like a bad habit when they changed to a sound that didn't suit me. I didn't feel that I was obligated to continue to be a fan once I didn't like their material anymore. In this case, I continued to be a fan because I still like the music. I like a lot of different kinds of music - rock happens to be one. Good synthpop is good. Good rock is good. What difference does it make if I still find it good?

I can understand your frustration, especially with fans such as myself. It's fans like us that continue to encourage the band to pursue their musical interests. Without us, there's a chance that the band will see that the fans want the old stuff and might return to that sound. But it's just not realistic - it's not gonna happen. Sorry. Claude isn't playing this music because he thinks it's what people want to hear - obviously that hasn't been the case, as they have lost many of their old fans. He's making the music he wants to make, and losing a lot of his fans is the price he's willing to pay. I'm just lucky that I'm a fan who is just as interested in his new endeavors as I was in his old.

Now most of their ORIGINAL fans dont even buy their new cds anymore! It seems like the band has turned their back on us with their complete change of genra/style.
    I have to admit that I've always had a problem with this kind of thinking. So their original fans don't like the new material ... that's their problem. Bands are not indentured servants, catering to the whim of a fickle fanbase. If you don't like the new stuff, don't buy it. There is a good back catalogue of material for you to enjoy as often as you like.

Yes, it's a shame that the old fanbase no longer supports the band, but it's not like they got ripped off. You pay your $15, you get a cd. Transaction ends here - the band doesn't owe you anything. You paid for the music, you got what you paid for. If you didn't like the cd ... sorry. You took the risk. What if they had made a synthpop album that really sucked? Same risk. And anything additional that you do (personal promotion, word of mouth) is done voluntarily by you. The band appreciates your help, but didn't expect it. You know going into a show these days that the majority of the setlist will come from the new material. If you don't like that, once again, don't go. It's that simple.

Once again, I respect your point of view here - in your place, I might also feel angry. But don't insult me by implying that I am not fully responsible for my being a fan of the new Anything Box material. I'm not a fool - I'm an adult and I can decide on my own if I like something or not. No one has fooled me into being a fan and no one has coerced me. I mean, I love Worth. One of my all-time favorite cd's. But I also love The Universe is Expanding. To each his own, I guess. If you ever want to discuss the old stuff, I'll be more than happy to join in the discussion with you - there's a lot of great stuff there.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I might put on Chris Isaak.

\"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.\"
    - Homer Simpson

Agree? Yes No

You go Colin, way to put it, I couldn't have said it better myself
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

I agree whole heartedly - Bands are living breathing entities... we are not required to approve of everything they do, nor are they required to constantly meet our approval. People grow... sometimes in different directions.

this is life...like what you do. I'm glad they still make music. And I continue to like it - not unless they write for the back street boys will i say they've sold out - or changed in a way i no longer respect.

" We grew apart, together apart." it happens...

-- Nigel

Agree? Yes No

Repeated listenings didn't force me to like the new Anything Box. I hated it on first listen. I listened to it a few more times and realized the same band were in there, just in different clothing.

As proof that repeated listening doesn't make me like something, no matter how many times I listen to Exciter, I can't stand it. It's absolute crap. It hasn't grown on me, and I doubt it ever will.

And, not that I'm a fan of country (I think it's as bad as all the boy bands and such), but what's wrong with your friends liking country and synthpop? Is there some rule that states a person is not allowed to like more than one genre of music? If so, then I'm in deep ¤¤¤¤...

-Mark
    www.djintrovert.com

Agree? Yes No

Anything Box lost me the first time I listened to Electrodelica. I still remember taking the cd out of the player in my car rolling down the window and almost throwing the cd out the window, the only thing that stopped me was that I was poor and knew I could at least trade it in on something else. I am not a fan of the Beatles and to me it sounds like Claude tried to make Anything Box sound like a modern sounding American Beatles. I'm not saying Claude isn't talented because he is and I don't mind that he changed the style but I think he should have changed the name of the group. He'd never have any problems with being mistaken for a new wave group because no one would expect those songs from the new group. I too am sad he changed the sound of Anything Box, man, they'd be right up there with Iris as the kings of synthpop but that WILL NEVER BE. Claude is fine with changing the sound and I've mourned the death of a great synthpop act. The fact is life goes on and since Anything Box didn't change their sound with Electrodelica there's really no point in changing it now.

Techpo

Agree? Yes No

Depeche Mode Exciter was a great case example. Almost any true Depeche Mode & Synthpop fan that have followed this band from the begining will agree that Exciter sucks compared to their earlier stuff. For those of you who follow the Depeche Mode forum, I also think its common knowledge that no matter how bad we KNOW IT SUCKS, there are a TON of people who think its great and some people even throw their praise of it being their best music!
    Ok, most of us can agree these people must have no taste in music and probably are Not true Synthpop fans, but are fans of alternative music. Yes, they are welcome to their opinion, but I think most of us here will think they are crazy.
    I am simply using this clear metaphor to illustrate my feelings for those of you who like the new Anythingbox. You are perfectly welcome to your opinion and the band is perfectly welcome to completely change their direction and suck if they want to. It doesnt mean that us Synthpop fans here have to like it! I also think you need to be crazy to like their new crap compared to their classic Synthpop, but again, if you like that thing, power to you as long as I dont have to listen to it!
    Country music makes my skin crawl, and I am forced to listen to it in my friends car etc. Thats what sucks about it! Also, they have now closed their minds to giving newer synthpop a chance because Country has converted them and they dont want to switch back! I hope that does not happen to any of you with the new updated beetles rock wannabe sound Anythingbox is spewing out these days! He he
    VIVA SYNTHPOP!

test

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by tclutz
    Depeche Mode Exciter was a great case example. Almost any true Depeche Mode & Synthpop fan that have followed this band from the begining will agree that Exciter sucks compared to their earlier stuff. For those of you who follow the Depeche Mode forum, I also think its common knowledge that no matter how bad we KNOW IT SUCKS, there are a TON of people who think its great and some people even throw their praise of it being their best music!
    Ok, most of us can agree these people must have no taste in music and probably are Not true Synthpop fans, but are fans of alternative music. Yes, they are welcome to their opinion, but I think most of us here will think they are crazy.
    I am simply using this clear metaphor to illustrate my feelings for those of you who like the new Anythingbox. You are perfectly welcome to your opinion and the band is perfectly welcome to completely change their direction and suck if they want to. It doesnt mean that us Synthpop fans here have to like it! I also think you need to be crazy to like their new crap compared to their classic Synthpop, but again, if you like that thing, power to you as long as I dont have to listen to it!
    Country music makes my skin crawl, and I am forced to listen to it in my friends car etc. Thats what sucks about it! Also, they have now closed their minds to giving newer synthpop a chance because Country has converted them and they dont want to switch back! I hope that does not happen to any of you with the new updated beetles rock wannabe sound Anythingbox is spewing out these days! He he
    Dude, you are an ignorant person! I LOVE Exciter! I love depeche MODE. I am a hardcore fan who has followed this band for 17 years. Who are YOU to tell me that I must not be a fan because I love Exciter? I went to 16 Exciter shows in 2001. I LOVED every show. I will continue to see them when they tour next time. I will continue to purchase everything that they release here in the US.

I also LOVE iris, who are synthpop. Sorry, Reagan. I know he hates this term and so do I, but you have stated that anyone who likes Exciter must not be a "true" synthpop fan. I AM a TRUE synthpop fan. Just because YOU don't care for Exciter is NO reason to paint those of us who do, as people who have "no taste." I have PLENTY of taste, thank you!

As for your whining about Anything Box changing their sound, either accept it or MOVE on. The band cannot continue to write, produce and expect to sell Worth or Peace over and over. It's just not going to happen.

Agree? Yes No

Almost any true Depeche Mode & Synthpop fan that have followed this band from the begining will agree that Exciter sucks compared to their earlier stuff.
    I'm not sure I can agree with that. I like "Exciter". Well, sure, it's definitely a step down from the days of yore, but it's step up from "Ultra", if you ask me. Just because it isn't as good as the best stuff doesn't mean it's not good at all. I enjoy it, just not as much.

Ok, most of us can agree these people must have no taste in music and probably are Not true Synthpop fans, but are fans of alternative music.
    Woah, slow down there, mister. No taste in music? Why, because they don't agree with yours? Interesting viewpoint.

And if being a "true Synthpop fan" requires that I rule over my favorite bands with a Nazi-like precision and an iron fist, then I guess I'm pretty glad I'm not like that. It sure would suck to have to deal with band after band discovering their own true musical identities instead of mimicking the stereotypes of a narrow genre. Let artists grow, that's when they tend to make the material that is most mature and emotional. That's when they gain their true identity.

I'm sure there were plenty of people ¤¤¤¤¤ing when Depeche Mode made "Black Celebration". Whatever happened to the good old days of "See You" and "Just Can't Get Enough"? They're trying to be all dark and mysterious now. They used to be good, but now they suck! Now would someone who said that be a "true Synthpop fan" because they prefer the more genre-related early material?

I do admit that I agree with you on one point ...

Yes, they are welcome to their opinion,
    Yes, they certainly are
    \"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.\"
    - Homer Simpson

Agree? Yes No

I think some of you guys and gals are missing the big point tclutz was trying to make. The quality of music that Depeche Mode and Anything Box has made recently just isn't as good as it was in the past. Exciter has a few good songs and a bunch of okay songs, I gave up listening to Abox so I can no longer comment on their newest stuff but I'm guessing its like Electrodelica which= beatles rock. I can defend Depeche Mode because they can still bring out hits/classics unlike Abox. Depeche Mode stays electronic in differing ways Abox abandons electronic. Depeche Mode still gets interviewed in Keyboard magazine to talk about the synths they used Abox doesn't. Hmm, I kinda forgot the point I was trying to make with all these comparisons. Depeche Mode is still in the same vein of music as they always were Abox is emo rock/alternative rock now.

Techpo

Agree? Yes No

The quality of music that Depeche Mode and Anything Box has made recently just isn't as good as it was in the past
    Is it? I always thought art was subjective. Yes, I agree that Depeche Mode's material is not up to what they did previously, but who am I to say so?

But I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think I do get his point and I disagree. You guys are continually driving the point home: New Abox = Not Synthpop Anymore = Sucks. I won't agree with that assertion. I know we'll never see eye-to-eye on this but I still think that it's counter-productive to EVERYONE to simply and publicly bash a band because they don't fit into the narrow boundaries that you set for them. It's wasted energy - if you don't like it, fine. But what's the point of entering every Anything Box thread to voice how much you think they suck now?

I'll admit it - Anything Box is NOT synthpop anymore (although the last album had MORE electronics than real instruments). And you know what? I'm glad they're not. And I'm still a synthpop fan. And a rock fan. And a classical fan. I'm a music fan.

p.s. Have to edit this to add - Anything Box WERE, in fact, interviewed by Keyboard Magazine last year to discuss the synths they use...
    - Homer Simpson

Agree? Yes No

I stand corrected.

I do want to say that I'm not bashing anyone who likes Anything Box. Everyone is free to like who and what they will. Bashing ABox really doesn't get much done I'll try to keep the negative comments down to a minimum. Although they aren't really in this genre any more so techinically I could bash them as much as I bash Creed.

Techpo

Agree? Yes No

Yeah, but Creed deserves it
    - Homer Simpson

Agree? Yes No

Sadly, some of you have missed the point. I hope you can have your favorite bands change to country or rap so you might begin to grasp at least glimmer of what I am saying. They maybe I wont keep hearing this artistic development/maturing sound crap that some of you hide behind to try and validate lousy music as still being the same quality as prior classics. You can call it what you will, but Bad music is Bad music, by any other name its still the same.
    While depeche mode still uses an occasional synth and they have a couple ok songs, I still have a hard time calling their new music anything but alternative. Stephanie, if you like the newer stuff more than the older Synthpop stuff, it makes sense that you would be More of a fan of Alternative than Synthpop. Otherwise you would like their Synthpop albums more. This isnt rocket science! Not that its impossible for you to still like Synthpop music, but you have shown your cross over preference is more in the other direction.

Anyway, We probably should find a Rock forum for those of you who wish to continue to talk about newer Anythingbox becase they are NO LONGER SYNTHPOP! Last I checked, this was a forum for Synthpop & New Wave! he he Relax!
    VIVA SYNTHPOP!

test

Agree? Yes No

While depeche mode still uses an occasional synth and they have a couple ok songs, I still have a hard time calling their new music anything but alternative. Stephanie, if you like the newer stuff more than the older Synthpop stuff, it makes sense that you would be More of a fan of Alternative than Synthpop. Otherwise you would like their Synthpop albums more. This isnt rocket science! Not that its impossible for you to still like Synthpop music, but you have shown your cross over preference is more in the other direction.

Anyway, We probably should find a Rock forum for those of you who wish to continue to talk about newer Anythingbox becase they are NO LONGER SYNTHPOP! Last I checked, this was a forum for Synthpop & New Wave! he he Relax!
    I never said that I like the newer stuff more than the older stuff. I love what dM has done in the past and what they continue to do now. My top five favorite dM albums are:

Black Celebration
    Music for the Masses
    Some Great Reward
    Ultra
    Construction Time Again

I don't care for alternative music as it is now. Here in Los Angeles, alternative is just another name for what I would call heavy metal. KROQ, which used to play dM now plays metal and rap. I cannot stand that type of music. That's what I consider to be alternative. dM aren't alternative according to that definition.

Agree? Yes No

OK, I have no problem with people who like Exciter, its better than lots of other stuff on the radio, its just really hard to imagine Synthpop fans thinking this cd (which totally lacks synths in my opinion) is superior to Violater, Black Celebration & Music for the Masses which are all time Synthpop classics!
    VIVA SYNTHPOP!

test

Agree? Yes No

"Totally lacks synths." Then, what exactly did they use on: Shine, I Feel Loved, Comatose, I Am You, Love Theme and Easy Tiger???? They also used synths on: Dream On, The Dead of Night, Goodnight Lovers and Freelove to a certain extent. What would you say they used if they didn't use synths? Did they use typewriters????? They used synths. Yes, they also used guitar and drums--or clicks as some say.

Agree? Yes No

Sadly, some of you have missed the point. I hope you can have your favorite bands change to country or rap so you might begin to grasp at least glimmer of what I am saying. They maybe I wont keep hearing this artistic development/maturing sound crap that some of you hide behind to try and validate lousy music as still being the same quality as prior classics.

I think you underestimate me ... do you honestly think that I've liked every direction every band I've ever liked has gone in? Of course not. There have been a lot of bands that released albums I consider to be mere shadows of their earlier work. Bands that completely changed and decided to go off in different directions. Do you know what I did? I cut my losses. I dealt with it. I moved on. I didn't repeatedly whine in every thread about these bands about how much their new direction sucked. I respect the opinions of people who like the new material and I realize that, while I may not like the new direction, that doesn't make it automatically lousy. I realized that, no matter how much I wanted them to, these bands weren't going to follow my whims and make the music I wanted to hear. I am not the god of all music. I cannot control my favorite bands. My preference is not the will of God.

You can call it what you will, but Bad music is Bad music, by any other name its still the same.
    That's right - bad music is bad music. Unless you think the new material is GOOD MUSIC. Once again, you're presenting your opinion and taste in music as the final word. It's not. It's your opinion and, in the grand scheme of things, the only person it truly matters to is you. The same goes for all of us - no one really cares about anybody's opinions but their own.

While depeche mode still uses an occasional synth and they have a couple ok songs, I still have a hard time calling their new music anything but alternative. Stephanie, if you like the newer stuff more than the older Synthpop stuff, it makes sense that you would be More of a fan of Alternative than Synthpop. Otherwise you would like their Synthpop albums more. This isnt rocket science!

That's right, it's not rocket science - art has a gray area that can't be defined in such restrictive definitions. So let's say that I like the Erasure song "Spiralling". But I think that the orchestral version of "Two Ring Circus" is better ... does that mean I like classical music more than synthpop? It must, it's not rocket science. Then how can I explain the fact that I have tons of synthpop cd's and very few classical ones? And what happens if I like the more rock-oriented material of Anything Box, but I prefer the synthpop material over the rock-tinged material from De/Vision? Which am I ... a rock fan or a synthpop fan?

And why should it matter?

Not that its impossible for you to still like Synthpop music, but you have shown your cross over preference is more in the other direction.
    I show many directions and preferences when it comes to music. I choose to like whatever appeals to me, no matter the genre. I'm human, not a preprogrammed machine whose tastes are predetermined for my life. If so, I apparently lost the rulebook of what I can and cannot like to still be considered a "synthpop fan." Are you telling me that your music collection is ONLY synthpop? If I were to look through your collection, I would not find a single cd of another genre? Because wouldn't that be the only way to be a "true synthpop fan", without veering off into some other genre's territory?

Anyway, We probably should find a Rock forum for those of you who wish to continue to talk about newer Anythingbox becase they are NO LONGER SYNTHPOP! Last I checked, this was a forum for Synthpop & New Wave!
    Touché. Or you could just not click on threads devoted to bands that don't appeal to ya.

OK, I have no problem with people who like Exciter, its better than lots of other stuff on the radio, its just really hard to imagine Synthpop fans thinking this cd (which totally lacks synths in my opinion) is superior to Violater, Black Celebration & Music for the Masses which are all time Synthpop classics!

But it doesn't lack synths. It's 90% synth, it's just that there are guitars layered on top of it and the synths chosen aren't the super-synthetic sounds that we're used to hearing in so much electronic music. But listen closely for real instruments ... there aren't a whole lot of them aside from the guitars. Yes, more so than on "Violator", but still light years from a basic rock band.
    - Homer Simpson

Thread Information