Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Jeff Lynne (ELO) is a genius

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Default Jeff Lynne (ELO) is a genius

I am sitting here at work listening to ELO's 2 cd "Light Years the Very Best of ELO". It is my opinion that Jeff Lynne is one of the most underated composers of the 20th century. His music is full of depth and varies in style. They are all brilliantly arranged. I saw on PBS last year their live from the Hollywood Bowl performance and he hasn't lost anything. He sounded brilliant live.

Anyone else agree with me?

I have to admit I am partial to:

Turn to Stone
    Evil Woman
    Twilight
    Telephone Line
    Xanadu
    I'm Alive
    and Living Thing (freaking genius)

I could go on .....

~Craig

test

Agree? Yes No

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I must have listened to the Xanadu soundtrack at least 500 times when it first came out. I adore Xanadu and I'm Alive. I still have the album. I have to see if it is available on cd. It brings back such memories!

Lead ElectroGardener KissTheStar's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

Sorry I had to add more to my list :

Secret Messages
    Confusion
    Last Train to London
    The Fall

list goes on.

~Craig

Agree? Yes No

And not just the ELO stuff either, kids...the Travelling Wilburys and all the stuff he did with Tom Petty too, and lord knows what else...

Learning to Fly is one of the best Petty songs IMO...

Nothing beats The Fall tho...well, maybe Living Thing...i'll give you that one, Craig

Agree? Yes No

Jeff Lynne is quite underrated. His contribution to popular music rivals the Beatles. I'd play the Kazoo to get a chance to work in a studio with him.

Xanadu is a musical masterpiece. Too bad the movie was a cinematic disaster.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Xanadu is a musical masterpiece. Too bad the movie was a cinematic disaster.

Dave[/b]

:sobbing:

No no no!! I can honestly say that Xanadu rocked my prepubescent world!!! Leg warmers, roller skates, ribbon barettes, AND Olivia!! Come on!!! It was the movie that made me want to be an album cover painter and a muse on wheels!! And you fellas can't tell me that Olivia wasn't a bit of a hottie with her slit up layer skirts and off the shoulder peasant tops?!!

Yeah...ok! And none of you ever tried that goofy Xanadu dance on skates either at your local roller rink back in the day i'll bet...riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Agree? Yes No

Oh god... I totally forgot about roller rinks... wow... ya know... that was just plain ¤¤¤¤ing fun. We had this place near where I grew up in Ohio called "The Skatery". I remember skating around in a circle to late 70s/early 80s dance music, with a funky DJ, and then wheeling over to the arcade, on skates, and playing Pac-Man, etc...

That was an amazingingly simple time in my life... I do miss it... actually I wish it was still around to go enjoy with my wife on a Friday night... sounds lame but it was fun. Just clean fun. OK... people were always making it in the skate rental area, etc, the owner sold drugs out of the "Skating School" office, and I'm pretty certain most of the DJs were doing 15 year olds... but hey!

It was the 80s!

As for Olivia... yes she was hot... and actually has a pretty decent voice.. Between Olivia and Madonna coming a couple years later it kept my female contemporaries dressing quite erotically all through early puberty. Very frustrating when you're 13/14 and have no clue how to romance anything but yourself.

But I digress (way into the gutter)

I just think the movie was an absolute stinker.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Jeff Lynne is one of my rock heroes. I also love the album he co-wrote/produced w/George Harrison called 'Cloud 9' circa 1987. "When We Was Fab" is a favorite from that particular release.
    Complicating. Circulating.
    Operating. Generating.

Thread Information