Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: David Byrne of Talking Heads says music lyrics overrated

Agree? Yes No

Default David Byrne of Talking Heads says music lyrics overrated

David Byrne of the Talking Heads says music lyrics are overrated as most people forget them anyway. He believes its the sound that matters. What do you think? Check it out: http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/04/0...x.html?hpt=Mid

Blog Entries

Agree? Yes No

I agree for the most part, but not 100%.
    There are songs where a listener will key into a specific phrase or lyric and will pay attention to the content and this will enhance the track. So, knowing the meaning or words and liking the melody, voice etc. becomes a package.

Agree? Yes No

Interesting how much free time Byrne has on his hands But what about all those"misheard" lyric interpretations? You know the ones where you sing along for years and then read the lyrics online or something and go WTF?

Agree? Yes No

Anyone that is a fan of the Cocteau Twins would definitely have to agree with Byrne.
    The mountains bow down and the sea's will roar at the sound of Your name.

Agree? Yes No

So is he for no lyrics or no vocals? I don't get this one at all.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Agree? Yes No

I think at best, lyrics are something that can carry you through the "sound". In that, if they don't distract you because you're rollin your eyes about how cheeseball they are...really all they do is give you an instrument to use when you listen (if you're the sing along type).

I think the rhythm of the words and the syllables are much more important than the meaning. Like, what makes eminem so popular? His rhythm is just nice to listen to. I think its a very overlooked aspect of lyrics... But that's just me!

Agree? Yes No

Quote Originally Posted by Etrakt View Post
    I think at best, lyrics are something that can carry you through the "sound". In that, if they don't distract you because you're rollin your eyes about how cheeseball they are...really all they do is give you an instrument to use when you listen (if you're the sing along type).

I think the rhythm of the words and the syllables are much more important than the meaning. Like, what makes eminem so popular? His rhythm is just nice to listen to. I think its a very overlooked aspect of lyrics... But that's just me!
    Agreed. In so many cases you can't even tell what the singer is saying. The feel of the way that the consonants and vowels roll with the music seems to be the real core of what we may get attached to. Not in all cases though.
    Music has a key to the soul.

Agree? Yes No

singer pronunciation should be clear because 60% of song in depend upon the lyrics.

Thread Information