Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: New Synthpop User Driven Online Community

  1. #1

    Default New Synthpop User Driven Online Community

    There are a number of really outdated synthpop resource websites out there. Then allsynthpop.com which is primarly a directory of links to other websites.

    I recently secured a really good synthpop focused domain and have the opportunity to host a website that I believe could better serve the currently scattered and somewhat disenfranchised synthpop community.

    My question is, what features would you like for an all-encompassing synthpop website?

    Personally, I would like to see more user-generated content, specifically a place where people could listen to and upload demos.

    What would you like to see?

  2. #2
    Associate Vicky's Avatar
    Joined
    December 11th, 2001
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    356
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I think the key would be to find some niche that actually brings people together in a single place. Being that there are so few and scattered fans of this style of music you need something innovative and new to make folks want to go and participate on the site.
    ...I sure hope this is the real deal.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellNeon View Post
    There are a number of really outdated synthpop resource websites out there. Then allsynthpop.com which is primarly a directory of links to other websites.

    I recently secured a really good synthpop focused domain and have the opportunity to host a website that I believe could better serve the currently scattered and somewhat disenfranchised synthpop community.

    My question is, what features would you like for an all-encompassing synthpop website?

    Personally, I would like to see more user-generated content, specifically a place where people could listen to and upload demos.

    What would you like to see?
    i thought that was what this place has been doing all along. i mean this site has so much features that i cant think of anything else to add. what you need it what vicky said. just have to get people to get involved in large numbers and things will take off from there. the community thing is the tough part and not site featured imo anyway,.

  4. #4
    Associate Nautilus's Avatar
    Joined
    July 30th, 2007
    Posts
    362
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Hasn't everything already been done? I do not think that there is really that much "newness" left on the Internet.


    Maybe a technology breakthrough could push certain communities up and out but with sites like Twitter we are already so into each other's personal space as it is.

  5. #5

    Default

    The music is out there, the community is out there. It just needs to be organized!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duhb View Post
    i thought that was what this place has been doing all along. i mean this site has so much features that i cant think of anything else to add. what you need it what vicky said. just have to get people to get involved in large numbers and things will take off from there. the community thing is the tough part and not site featured imo anyway,.
    Electrogarden is alright but it's not too easy on the eyes, nor is it very user-friendly. It also targets a much smaller, hardcore audience as opposed to fans. I also want something specifically for synthpop.

    I think the number of features here that you mentioned is more of a problem than a benefit, this is exactly why large numbers will never take advantage of this site. But electrogarden isn't really marketing to large numbers anyways.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Hasn't everything already been done? I do not think that there is really that much "newness" left on the Internet.

    Maybe a technology breakthrough could push certain communities up and out but with sites like Twitter we are already so into each other's personal space as it is.
    Do you currently have everything you ever wanted from synthpop? If so, then you're right, there's nothing left to do. If not? Then that is my mission.

  8. #8
    Associate Nautilus's Avatar
    Joined
    July 30th, 2007
    Posts
    362
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I think that whatever gets people organized together as Synthpopalooza put it is all that is needed. Features or lack of is really secondary. People can stand around and talk with nothing else to go with it if the vibe is good. Either way, good luck. Throw up a link when you get something online.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    I think that whatever gets people organized together as Synthpopalooza put it is all that is needed. Features or lack of is really secondary. People can stand around and talk with nothing else to go with it if the vibe is good. Either way, good luck. Throw up a link when you get something online.
    Since people are not currently organized, the "newness" is that organization. It just does not exist right now and it will never exist until something changes.

    Things don't just happen in the universe, they're all reactionary forces to a set amount of potential and kinetic energy. That's why things that sit still or move continue to do so. Right now, the synthpop community will continue to sit still indefinitely until someone applies a force.

    So my question is, what force is that? When you mentioned "whatever gets people organized", what would get you organized and what do you think would get other people organized?

    Some ideas that I had
    1. Exposure: The Audience (synthpop fans & musicians) needs to know about it. There might be a hoppin synthpop community that exists right now, but we don't know about it so we're not involved. I know that if I knew of a community like that, I would be involved.

    2. Benefits: Tools, content, dialogue that The Audience is interested in. For example, the ability to easily find, listen to and upload demos. The ability to locate local synthpop shows. News about synthpop releases, gear releases, etc. Reviews on music, gear. I think that specifically for synthpop, the focus of The Benefits would be to increase the output of new music.

    3. Ease of Use: The Audience should be able to easily take full advantage of all the Benefits.

    I already have elgg up. Right now I'm trying to create a rating/ranking system for uploaded content (music/articles/images/video) as I think that will be the most critical feature. You can already create a profile and upload and listen to mp3's and I have the framework gui for the clientside rating. I'm just trying to find where and how elgg stores the file variables. I have an artist on the case, but this early on, all we've come up with is that we like the color scheme from DM's precious music video. She's trying to think of some 2.0'ish colors.

  10. #10
    Associate Nautilus's Avatar
    Joined
    July 30th, 2007
    Posts
    362
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Actually, and to iterate once more - the features you mention are available in many places already. To answer the question of organization it may just be that something new and fresh on the eyes in tandem with sufficient marketing letting people know that it is there may be all that is needed to kick things off and get a community "aligned" to a single gathering place. Now once you start to spread the word on this it should be ready for the users and not be an unfinished "under construction" piece since once someone actually clicks and visits they will quickly make up their mind about bookmarking or never coming back again.

    If that alone does not work then I am at a loss for further ideas short of an expensive ad campaign that pastes the site and concept all over the place forcing users to go there via attrition.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Actually, and to iterate once more - the features you mention are available in many places already. To answer the question of organization it may just be that something new and fresh on the eyes in tandem with sufficient marketing letting people know that it is there may be all that is needed to kick things off and get a community "aligned" to a single gathering place. Now once you start to spread the word on this it should be ready for the users and not be an unfinished "under construction" piece since once someone actually clicks and visits they will quickly make up their mind about bookmarking or never coming back again.

    If that alone does not work then I am at a loss for further ideas short of an expensive ad campaign that pastes the site and concept all over the place forcing users to go there via attrition.
    Yes, the benefits already exist in many places. And that's precisely the problem, the fact that they don't exist in one place.

    Did you ever ask yourself why it's guitar center and not musical instrument center or music center? They started with organ sales, but decided to rein in the guitar community that came with the rock/metal invasion in the 70's.

    Right now we have
    electrogarden.com
    synthmania.com
    vintagesynth.com
    keyboardmag.com
    sonicstate.com
    last.fm
    myspace.com
    thesixtyone.com
    adifferentdrum.com
    pandora.com
    allsynthpop.com
    synthtopia.com
    etc....

    There are two critical problems with these websites
    1. Scope of genres is too broad for a small community to flourish.
    2. They're web 1.0 style personal sites instead of community driven sites.

    As far as exposure, you're right, people need to know there's a place. I've had a few words with todd from add about integrating his community and I'm trying to get in touch with minimal wave and vintagesynth.com. I'm sure everyone would benefit from centralization. I'm also excited about what it could mean for Ableton's new "Share" beta.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

EGN Keywords

synthpop website

,

synthpop community

,

synth pop features

,

new synth pop

,

Synthpop Features

,

synth pop community forum

,

synthpop comunity

,

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


ELECTROGARDEN | ARTIST NETWORK | TRACKS | MORE TRACKS | ARTISTS | MORE ARTISTS
NEWS | LIFE IS MUSIC | MAINSTREAM ARTICLES | ARTICLES | REVIEWS | FORUM | ARCHIVE | STORE | CONTACT | TERMS OF USE
THE ELECTROGARDEN NETWORK is a Trademark of ELECTROGARDEN.COM.
Copyright © 1999-2018 ELECTROGARDEN.COM, all rights reserved
Subscribers to Electrogarden Network Forums Feed Tweet this page! TWEET