Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Anyone want to talk about music?

Blog Entries

Icon5 Anyone want to talk about music?

I know that there is not much posting around here but since I am not really doing it anywhere else, does anyone want to discuss the current state of affairs in the music scene?

Particularly, what I am thinking is that we all know how music has gotten diluted in the last decade or so. There is so much material that has been thrown out there with the evolution of sites like myspace and so many others that it just seems like music has lost flavor in some respect. I am sure that this has come up before but my main question to anyone reading is do you think that like many things which are cyclical in the scheme of time will this musical bloating via the new information age revert at some point with some event or series of events and a new era of music will begin? Or will this dilution continue and things will degenerate indefinitely?

It may not be quite that cut and dry but I think it is food for thought. Some people may disagree and think there is no real dilution and in some ways they are correct since there is still great music being made, but this music is mostly buried in the rubble of all that other stuff out there.

Blog Entries

dunno
    i think you are right
    about the cycle
    question is how long does the
    cycle last?

one thing for sure
    when there is too much music
    it gets harder to find the good stuff
    uh....... yea thats jon voight

In some ways it seems like it did in the early 80's for me. I was always interested in the stuff from the "left of the dial". That time was way before the internet and all that. It was all about college radio and to some extent MTV (when it was good). That's where I first heard all of the good stuff that I'm still into right now. I hear the song, when the DJ came on and said what it was I would write it down to look for later. Sometimes I'd call the station and actually get the DJ on the phone. They were always happy to tell me what song and band it was and even where to go look for it. (Usually Berkeley or SF in those days).

Now I used the internet and sites like this one to seek out the kind of music I want. I really don't pay any attention to the hit parade of crap that is "popular". I don't care for it at all.

Yup, I remember the days when you would have to actually call the station to try and figure out what the song was and how to get it. Heck, now does anyone even talk to radio stations anymore? Everything is ONLINE.

Not really sure that is all that much of a good thing.

I don't think there is going to be any "cycle" with this.
    The continuing overexposure will cause more to listen to less and look harder for more. There ain't no stopping that internet train baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentreant View Post
    I don't think there is going to be any "cycle" with this.
    The continuing overexposure will cause more to listen to less and look harder for more. There ain't no stopping that internet train baby.
    Hahaha
    More to listen less? Nice one, I like that.

access to more information as quickly as one can type. it's a double edged sword. whether people appreciate it is another matter. the average, casual listener has always been there. it's no different now. the industry created blank cassettes, fostered consumers, then bitched about it destroying music in the 70s/80s. the industry created CDRs and bitched again. by that point, the information was available of what it cost to produce an album (sans the budgets for promotion/etc), which 10 years ago was roughly $2K (sans recording costs). consumers, the average listeners, were pissed. the internet grew. now we have releases on torrent before the street date.
    the business models have changed, are changing, and will continue to change. whether artists and listeners will appreciate it is another matter.
    aside: if one is so inclined to embrace the digital medium, does one have the audacity to complain about a CDr release?
    i don't believe the music is at fault in any way. there have always been one hit wonders, garage/bar bands, and bands that play only for their friends/families. it's no different now. technology has made it easier to digitally manifest one's songs by price point. the industry created that. if one doesn't appreciate the access one has to the information, the music, all one has to do is turn it off.
    dont die.
    fen.

CTRL.
    RescueMission.

I mostly agree with you Fen. Just not sure that one can "turn it off". I think the point may be that when you are looking for something of quality you may end up trolling through so much trash that it may become fruitless. This is such an old point anyway i am just saying.

Mmmmm music. I don't even follow the mainstream music anymore. I pretty much cut myself off from it since 2005. but thanks to some friends. I have some of the todays mainstream on my laptop...I was tricked somehow!!! I don't know how it happened. And so when I dj sometimes I will play a few of the tracks for them in my sets out of pure bordem, or if they give me enough Tequila shots ><
    DJ Dark Cloud
    Department of Evil admin: http://www.departmentofevil.com
    Department of Evil members: http://latexradio.com/dept-of-evil/
    ~Goth~Industrial~EBM~Synthpop~Darkwave~Coldwave~Fu turepop~
    "The darker the cloud the better" ~DJ Nocturna
    "We are nothing more then temporary" ~Informatik
    www.nephilimhalls.com ~Promoting & Expanding Honolulu's Goth/Industrial scene~
    twitter.com/Nephilim_Halls
    Myspace.com/Nephilim.Halls
    Facebook.com/Nephilim_Halls

Blog Entries

Agree on one thing. Mainstream does not have the same flavor as it used to. There is just way too much monetizing of the process. Marketing and image have all taken over the music iteself.

amen to that. and it gets deeper then just that. most of the music now is crap. just crap. I can't stand it. espically todays, rap, r&b, hip-hop bs spewing all over the air waves.horrible horrible horrile.

I miss the good shit I grew up on, Zapp & Roger, RUN DMC, Whodini, etc etc. pre 90's & 80, when music was GOOD. in my opinion of course
    DJ Dark Cloud

Blog Entries

LOL Don't forget the Beastie Boys.
    I think they are actually still making music. "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" I remember howling across campus in college.
    ...I sure hope this is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
    LOL Don't forget the Beastie Boys.
    I think they are actually still making music. "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" I remember howling across campus in college.

omg yes can't forget them!!

yea they are haha i saw their music video when they came back i was like OMG! :O
    DJ Dark Cloud

Heh yea!

Thread Information