Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Digital Track Sales?

Blog Entries

Agree? Yes No

Default Digital Track Sales?

Hi, for the artists on the site.

Please let us know if you would be interested in the site adding the ability for artists to place tacks for sale on the site. You would be able to manage a "vault" of high quality encoded tracks that could be sold to fans who would pay your paypal account directly and then the products would downloaded after payment was made, blah, blah, blah.

This is something that we are currently thinking about adding if possible and wanted to get any feedback and to see if there is any immediate interest in such a feature.

Cheers,

~V

Agree? Yes No

It is an interesting proposition. Looks like MySpace is offering a similar service, but as MySpace is rather craptastic an alternative venue for digital sales has its appeal. Have you given any thought as to pricing and what cut EGN would take?

Also, in a related side note...having just made a few tracks available for download from my own artist page here, I am a bit disappointed that EGN hoses all of the ID3 information I've embedded my MP3 files. Artist info, date, images, etc. all get deleted in favor of a single artist credit, a generic 2007 date, and a "Downloaded from EGN" message.

I agree that y'all should get credit for hosting, bandwidth, and making the files available, but does it have to be at the expense of important info I've taken the time to create in order to add value to the file? I guess this is as much a technical question as it is a policy question.

If you offer a digital sales service, the ID3 info will remain untouched, yes?

Blog Entries

Agree? Yes No

Default Ok, let me try and answer that.

Hi, we're still tyring to figure some of this out. Paypal charges some funky fees for low dollar transactions below like $11.00 or so and clearly artists would be charging more like Itunes prices for their tracks which could create various fees around these low dollar transactions. EGN is not planning on taking much if anything above these Paypal fees so most likely the artists would get all of their sales amount minus transaction costs that are a part of the processing.

I will look into the ID3 tag rewrite stuff, I think you are right that the software rewrites the tags, but I will forward this info to the guys that code this to see if we may want to leave that stuff alone if this data has already been entered by the artists or something like that.

For digital sales, the for sale "track" files are never previewed or available on the site to anyone, and are protected and locked away until they are delivered to the customer who bought them so as far as I know there is no altering of any kind with those "vault" items.

Hope this helps.

Agree? Yes No

Cool, thanks for responding. Selling physical media is so last century...I look forward to hearing more.
    Electronic pop for precocious adults.
    >>> The Daylight Complex

Blog Entries

Agree? Yes No

Default Cheers!

Sure thing. We'll try to get this sorted as soon as possible and get this feature enabled.

Agree? Yes No

It could work well. I'm sure you would have a lot more bands on here if you did.
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Blog Entries

Agree? Yes No

Just an update that we're still trying to get this in place. Having some issues with Paypal and where and how to place buy now buttons in the site and so forth. Just trying to find the time between jobs and all that to get the work done.
    ...I sure hope this is the real deal.

Blog Entries

Agree? Yes No

Default UPDATE: Some elements enabled.

Hi,

Some of the digital sales pieces are in place as we continue to figure things out.

Artists can now add or modify their tracks to include an additional "vault" file that is the product file for the song. This is now available in the form where you create or modify your tracks. When you upload this file. a BUY option will appear for that track on your artist page and a purchase of this will result in the delivery of that digital file to the purchaser. Currently only members can buy music from the site since the site member control panel is used to manage the cart and delivery of purchased files.

You can also just add digital files to your vault in the control panel and these will not be associated with songs on your profile but will show up in the store page on your site.

Make sure that you have correctly set the payout in your artist profie. This is your PayPal email where the system will send proceeds from your sales after a certain amount is reached, currently $10 or more. At this time we have set 100% net proceeds to go to the artist after any paypal fees for the transactions.

We're still trying to add the buy now capability to the player so that you can also activate and buy from there and in the future we're planning on setting it up so that non-members can also buy from the site.

Thanks, and we will continue to work on any kinks or issues as we get this rolling in full.

Cheers.

Agree? Yes No

I'm quite new here, but this is very interesting to me.

Have you thought about different levels of licensing, like for use in indie films or projects like that?

Blog Entries

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Taggart
    I'm quite new here, but this is very interesting to me.

Have you thought about different levels of licensing, like for use in indie films or projects like that?
    That is an interesting idea, and I think I have seen this on other sites. The idea here so far is to present and showcase the music and also to allow artists to sell product quality versions of their music in the format of their choosing.

So producers and such that scour the internet for music for film, etc., would come to the site and get introduced to artists and their music. After that, it is between the 2 parties directly.

Actually brokering the licensing as a part of the site process would require alot more interface and design work, and maybe something that we should consider in the future if the site picks up again to a higher traffic/popularity level.

Agree? Yes No

That sounds interesting. I think it would be great to include cue sheet and performance rights organization information, so that if the paperwork was filed and the project aired sufficiently, there may be future payments.

I haven't experienced PRO payments personally, yet.

Thread Information