Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what bands on here play live (reguarly)

Agree? Yes No

Default what bands on here play live (reguarly)

I'm in a Band which plays quite frequent and have been building up quite a following over the last year or so. So I've gone from playing 50 capacity Venues to headling 500 capacity venues. We don't expect to make money from live work till we have merchandise and cds on sale come september. We have played Rock,Electro,Indie circuit since we started.

Whats the live scne like in the states? And how frequent do bands play live?
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

The band I "manage" tour as regularly as possible or as our schedules allow. Back in November of 2006 we opened to a packed house for Conjure One and then in the early part of this year we did an East Coast Tour with My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult where the audience ranged from in the hundreds to the couple of hundreds. Smaller towns having the smaller turn outs of course. I don't know how it is there, but here in the States, the North Coast more specifically, it's hard to get people to come out to a show unless you are one of the big name, on the lips of everyone bands (or opening for one). People just don't support anymore, not like they used to. Hell, when I saw Architect (Haujobb side project) in Seattle there were only 37 people in the audience. Of course when CYLAB played the next night and we had twice that, that made us feel warm inside. Heh.

Anyway, personally we don't play one off shows. We can't due to the three members living between the two coasts, so we do tours that consist usually of four or more dates, so far this year we've played a total of ten times with two more lined up in the coming two months.

True. The money is not within the shows themselves but instead in the merchandise you sell at said shows. People love swag.

Agree? Yes No

my band plays at least three times a week, sometimes more. we demand green skittles, the sour kind, and we always get the groupies.

Agree? Yes No

FYI: one thing i learned about the net is becareful how you gather information. i seen old unhip music executives signed few punk bands, because they have 250,000 friends, but sold only 7,500 units. the bands totally make up numbers, internet models who are 400lbs and 5'1, but a photoshop expert, creating many fake buzz which can be found out by calling directory of service to get numbers of managers of bands and clubs, etc.

Why do I use the net for? Interesting coversations and verified mega dollar invested news sites.

My band opens up for Michael Jackson and Madonna. I bang Madonna and her girlfriends four times a week. Anyway, one serious note is the reality is lot smaller than what are discussed on the net. Yes, the net is a serious business, but you have to know how to filter it.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

We haven't played live in well over a year, unfortunately; the other band I play drums for plays a lot frequently than my own band. We are hoping to remedy this situation in the upcoming year, but this area cannot support constant playing - the more shows occur, the more people can pick and choose which one to go to, and the more attendance is hurt.
    That said, I could care less if we play in front of 5 people or 5000; I got into this because it was fun, and I will stay involved with it until that wears off. I harbor zero illusions about being able to make money from music; I see so many people who are basically homeless, couch surfing and spending all the money they make on their clothes or booze, or some worthless shit like that. These people will wake up one day when they're 40, and realize that they have no future, because they never bothered to save or invest their earnings.
    But I'm not complaining, because that day will make me laugh really hard.

Agree? Yes No

I've been kinda outta the scene for awhile but it still seems that bands around here almost never tour. Provision, from what I've heard, does alot of touring.....

Bands like Iris, on the other hand.... shows are few and far between.

I book shows for indie rock bands.... now that I'm getting back into the synth-pop/industrial scene maybe I can start booking some of those types of bands as well.

Assuming I feel like dealing with the drama. *cough*

<3kng

Agree? Yes No

You must be from Texas!

Mentallo and the Fixer are from those parts as are CTRL. I know I know some others (Nocturne?), but I cannot immediately recall them off the top of my head.

The US is a really hard market; I also book tours for a few EBM bands, and it is difficult to get paid enough to afford gasoline, car rental if they need it, and per diem so they can EAT. I think this is why so many bands in this scene won't tour the US; this country is HUGE, and people would rather go to dance clubs than come to a live show. :/

Agree? Yes No

Yeah, this seems like the most true statement in the thread s foar about the state of the US live performance scene, especially as it applies to electronic acts:

"this country is HUGE, and people would rather go to dance clubs than come to a live show."

That pretty much says it. Bottom line: I'd say that, if you're not touring along with a fairly established band (bands like Conjure One or Thrill Kill Cult that Seraphim mentioned would be examples of what I mean by fairly established bands), expect very small numbers. Unfortunate, but true. I'm not saying you shouldn't come here anyway... I just feel you deserve a realistic picture of what you'd be up against.

-mark
    mark nicholas
    info@marknicholas.org
    http://www.marknicholas.org
    http://www.myspace.com/marknicholasmusic
    I felt like a bit of a poser using the name Cosmicity. So, now I\'m just using my name. -Me

Agree? Yes No

Mark;
    Sadly, I've had to turn small bands away from booking, simply because I know I wouldn't be able to even get them gas money, let alone food, lodging, and even decent sound. :/
    Ideally, I wish I could help everyone out; I've got tons of contacts in a lot of cities, and some of them are really able to treat their bands well, but only if it's a win/win situation for both the promoter and the band. While this makes total and complete sense, it really puts smaller bands who are trying to make a name for themselves on the road in a tough spot. It can be done, but it will most likely be done without contracts, and very little food, scraping change for gas, and sleeping in your van; and that's if you own the van to begin with.
    I think that the size of Europe fools a lot of US fans who maybe haven't travelled the country into thinking that things are much "better" over there. It's not better, it's SMALLER, so people can afford a 3-hour drive between countries. You can't even cross a state line in 3 hours until you get to the east coast, and even that is pushing it a bit. Most states take an AVERAGE of 6 hours to drive through. California and Texas take 2-3 DAYS, and that is keeping the bathroom, food, and gas stops to a minimum. Plus, if you have anywhere more than 3 or 4 people, with your gear, merchandise, and luggage in the van, you're going to need a trailer, and that slows everything down a lot more, especially crossing mountain passes, which we have a lot of here.
    Touring the US is a lot more complicated than most people think. Again, not trying to discourage, but yeah...and don't even get me STARTED on busses. If you rent a bus and driver, you might as well just set fire to about $7000 right up front.

Agree? Yes No

I personally think there are way too many options for the listeners. Just do a simple math of how much of music an average person is willing to buy (not pirates) vs. how many bands are out there. There are about 90 million users on myspace and 2 million bands promoting. Fucked up right? Also, think about how many, tapes, vinyl, cds and aac/mp3/wma/mp4 you own and purchased (not pirated). I bet it isn't 2 million. The heavy reliance on the net for promotion is DEAD! The net has become too much for people to consume all the data that are pushed to them. People will become more selective on what information they choose. Music will become less of an art form. It will become more of commodity and entertainment. The concept of prefect band is harder to achieve now. You have to have a perfect look, sound, and promotion. The bands who only focus on image. Oh boy, you are dreaming too hard. The 80s marketing of Sigue Sigue Spuntik is dead! The 80s style is back, but if you have spent time talking to teens and early 20s, the culture isn't back at all. The substance is important too. The most important of all, the popularity and acceptance of the music is really important by similiar peers. I call that mini-pop culture. No artists can't create a mini-pop culture like some of you assume you can. It is kids who invent them. Also, the taste for listeners have gone up. Many free options have educated the listeners. I think many of them are starting to know what are good or not without relying on the scene people to recommend to them.

Just remember this.
    The eyes are the fastest information receiver than the hands, ears, and instincts. What is that mean? It is the fastest device to be turned off and turned on. If the focus has been only the image, you are already turned off. The entire thing has to be right. Sometimes, it is better to be subtle and approach harder with music. Hey, it is working for EMO and Dance (producer based) music. These days, being way too fashionable means thrashy. Look at all these glam metal bands. It is so labeled as Jersery and LA trashy now.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

Agree? Yes No

"Music will become less of an art form. It will become more of commodity and entertainment."

I'm pretty sure this happened with the first do-wop band...

Agree? Yes No

like i said many times, music will be like software. some will be commerical software like Apple and Microsoft. Others will be free like Linux. It is already moving that way... many bands are offering pay if you want policy now. only future will tell if the same method will work.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

as for Mark's statements about people preferring dance clubs over live shows... i think that's bullshit.

bands in the synthpop scene don't have the same attitude as bands in the indie rock scene.. period. most bands tour constantly without making a ton of money, living in their van or whatever. bands in this scene seem to be a bunch of pussies when it comes to doing a tour... they either want everything handed to them on a silver platter or they won't do it at all. no one in this scene wants to point out that the lack of success that this music has gotten is mostly because the bands don't work hard enough at it.

plus there is the fact that the Europeans continue to make better synthpop... while most American synthpop bands can't make as quality of an album.. with a couple of exceptions.

Agree? Yes No

Again, only from experience...

I've toured in situations with no contracts, sleeping in the van, having to stop every 5 minutes because of engine overheating, having parts fall OFF the van while in motion, and having my gear and/or luggage stolen. I've gone through broken windows, heat exhaustion, travelling for 3 days only to wind up making $12.50 (a special favorite of mine), people trying to steal gear while it was ON THE STAGE, people casing our vehicle, having bodily harm threatened, staying in hotels infested with roaches and in areas so shitty that the hotel manager stood watch all night on the front porch to make sure that customer's vehicles didn't get broken into, and sleeping between freight trucks in rest stops so numerous I really can't remember.

I've also toured with contracts, where I get to sleep in a bed every night, I get paid regularly, the vehicle I'm travelling in is road sound, and security is a bit tighter.

Sorry, I prefer the latter. I'm not getting any younger, and I really don't need a worse back, or to rack up any further new gear buys just because some jackass decided it would be "cool" to steal a trailer. I also prefer getting paid, if I'm going to miss 6 weeks' worth of work.

If you had toured this country at all, you would know that it's NOT bullshit; I've been to and been part of several shows where the attendance was low because people just couldn't be bothered, and would rather listen to pumped-in music on a loud stereo than actually go see the band.
    Then again, same could be said for European merchandise sales, which are crap compared to US merchandise sales. Things are lame all over; I guess it just depends on what you feel like complaining about.

I will, however, agree with you that a lot of scene bands seem to want things handed to them on a silver platter. There is a giant misconception about what this scene will and won't support financially.

I'm not saying my music sucks any more or less than anyone else's; but I'll be damned if someone is going to so much as insinuate that I haven't worked hard over the past 17 years, and I know a lot of other people who have, as well. Just because you don't see what goes on behind the scenes, doesn't mean it doesn't still go on.

Agree? Yes No

what band did you tour with in those conditions you mentioned?

Agree? Yes No

I think many of us need to come to a conclusion that making a full time living as musicians who write original materials are almost impossible task. I talk to major label artists and they are struggling, so when I hear little basement artists bragging about how they are doing it, I am going to laugh really hard. There are many overheads in music. Promotions that can differentiate aren't cheap. I know plenty of smaller bands on the majors are almost getting by living in a shit lifestyle. Problem is average people don't need more than 200 cds purchased. They might have more by sharing mp3s with others. Sharing can be good or evil based the circumstatnces. I personally allow few tracks to be downloaded, because it is taking forever to record my music. That way, people don't run away. I learned long time ago, it isn't good to risk your life to make it. I am doing it for fun. Also, I don't want to be those ass kisser bands who pimp out themselves and love one(s) to promote their tone deaf music. Especially, those bands who pertend to be your friends so they can sell cds, but you know their so called fans will just download them and delete their music from their drives. Of course, there are hardcore collectors like me, but we are rare. Many musicians have to juggle if we are that passionate about writing music.

Also, I have been saying this for a long time. Look at the GPL community. Look at company like Suse, RedHat, and other commerical Linux companies. They are making money off giving stuff away for free. There must be a way, the marketing ideas from the commercial Linux companies can work in the music business. I haven't figure that out yet. If one of you figure it out, you should share that information with us.

Anyway, running out of time here again.
    Everytime the conversations repeat, I want to spend less time here. All the answers are here in this fourm. I wish this site is open, so you can use google to index this and use google as a search engine. By the way, this conversations have been said in the past.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by joel_sgx
    what band did you tour with in those conditions you mentioned?
    She (and I) were in the band Noxious Emotion (before we started backandtotheleft). All of the problematic stories she told did in fact happen. Didn't stop us from going out on the road again, just taught us what to and what not to do as far as booking tours.

I DARE anyone to say that we never paid our dues from touring.

Agree? Yes No

you never paid your dues from touring

let it never be said that i back down from a dare

*flexes e-muscle*

Agree? Yes No

I hate the term, "dues." There are no such things. Do you assume success in the music business is like a Social Security retirement plan? Oh, I guess those 15 year old boys in Emo bands are actually 50 year old men in a very good makeup. The success is using various proper promotions, knowing the most current terms, buzz, and new sounds (people will be too confused to know if your music is good or not), having the right music, with HOOKS (hooks aren't always song writing), and right place and time. I know bands who tour for two freaking years before they started living in the streets, it has done JACK SHIT for them. If some of the bands play live, who cares? I wouldn't waste $10 to $20 to see them live unless they have an unique sound, good musicianship, and catchie songs.

I would like to add, the bottom line is having the differentiation without the alienation from the public. There are way too many bands now. I am not even including the current bands that are touring and still putting CDs out. I am talking about bands from the 60s till now. It is the Net. Things will never die if people don’t want it to let it die. How do you make yourself stand out to 2 million plus the bands from the past? You need to make yourself differentiate without the alienation from the public.

Oh god… I am spending too much time here without any incentives for me again. I will be back next week. Hopefully, we have something new to post.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

i disagree with everything you just said pop

but you have nice punctuation

Thread Information