Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: board's dead...

Agree? Yes No

There are all these bands singing bland electronic love songs and only 30 year old men are buying them. This is the problem.. And pop your spot on no Girls are going to have a picture of most these bands on the wall. There mates would take the piss out of them..
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Kirlian Blue
    There are all these bands singing bland electronic love songs and only 30 year old men are buying them. This is the problem.. And pop your spot on no Girls are going to have a picture of most these bands on the wall. There mates would take the piss out of them..
    this is quite true, but who's fault is it?? there are bands out there making exciting new electronic-ish music, but nobody wants to spend the cash on releasing and promoting it... they're too busy releasing the bland electronic love songs.

Agree? Yes No

lets not forget that many other genres have effectivly calcified as well. even despite this there still remians a niche of supporters for each of them. the problem is that outside the particular sphere of interest for anyone one of these "dead" genres there isnt very much to grasp the attention of those unfamiliar to it.

most of what i listen to now is psychedelic hip hop and what some might consider the new "indie" music (according to to my own nomenclature), --which infact encaptulates electronic and hip hop and exparimental. im not talking about "underground hip hop" either. underground hip hop already happened...like 10 years ago imo.

from my own personal experience and my own amateur-ish computer f88ckery, the only way ive seen an interest piqued in the synth-electro genre now is by way of collaberating with friends actively involved in other genres.

what i see now is a myriad of micro-genres and ones that are in essence post-electro, post electro punk, post no-wave...etc.

im not used to them because ive not given them as much attention, but the spirit of synth-electro does shine thrui, just in a strange cannibalised manner...
    the music will blind you

Agree? Yes No

i agree droom,but i think we are all missing the point. these days, you have to really come up with something unique or spend tons of money marketing your ideas. many of these small labels don't run like a real business. those love song bands are signed to a rich guy's garage company who might need a write off. the smart person should know a typical generic sound can't win without heavy investments. most small label owners are following formulas (similar to majors) instead of focusing on the niche so consumers seek out their goods. if it is a generic idea, you have to seek out consumers. back to the point about this chart, a small microscopic chart makes things smaller than it is. it only enhances the negative image. we all know there are few million bands in the world by monitoring myspace which it seems like all majors to garage bands are on it now.

my biggest gripe with this scene and including other underground scenes are young bands who brag about their status. some of us know most of them are lies. i would be happier to know if a band is made by treasure fund kids, struggling musicians with various jobs, lucky guys who won the lottery, etc. if a band wants my $15, i don't want to be tricked. would you buy a car from a shaddy sales guy? i really get burnt when the false information spreads around.

i think the best way is constantly challenge oneself and innovate and hope for the best. if you haven't got the money to put ads on the magazines, you have to differentiate by having an unique idea. running late again. more to discuss later. some times, it is better to receive all the bad and good information to make the right decisions. like i said before, too many people here only want to hear the good and stay in the delusional clouds.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

dead? actually this board is more like in a comatose
    then again after reading a few threads on here i can see why people do not want to open up and stop to post anything

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Duhb
    dead? actually this board is more like in a comatose
    then again after reading a few threads on here i can see why people do not want to open up and stop to post anything
    We are having a very interesting discussion based on people who "get it."
    Please do not ruin it. You are free to speak, but just don't crash this thread.

Thanks.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

Agree? Yes No

well pop, what you have said is certainly true to an extent, but alot of the time it can be alot harder getting something unique off of the ground with no promotion budget than something that easily fits into an already established scene or genre. who do you send it to to promote it?? who do you send it to to play it? something unique and interesting might actually cost alot more to promote than something that goes with a given flow. if it's really incredible it can take off in the long run, but that requires often up to 15 years of building up a substantial body of work.

small-ish labels follow a formula. no argument there. there are label guys out there who do take risks, but by in large it's about selling more of the same to people who they know will buy it.

but what should we do about it?? stop whining about how the underground scene sucks and just make some bloody noise and hope someone hears it.

Agree? Yes No

well said, pop. I know if I stayed in "synthpop", I wouldn't go anywhere, I had to reinvent the music. So far, so good. We'll see if the magazine feature does anything, I'm not thinking it will given today's consumer base, but we'll see.

and yea, the whole ass kissing of musicians each other's egos gets old quick. and ass kissing the "fans". fuck that. i was guilty of ass kissing, but no more. i say it how it is. if you suck and you ask for my opinion, you're gonna hear it. i would rather hear it honestly anyway, i mean, how am i gonna improve?

great discussion, let's keep it going, if for any reason, to learn!

Agree? Yes No

Jeff, you are the one who got me using the guitar again. Why be afraid of the guitar? It is a beautiful instrument that is very expressive. It is more expressive than the keyboard. Also droom, I agree with you, but generic is generic. I guess what I mean is cross breed different types of music. most important thing to do now is cross breed years. don't just get influenced by the 80s. Look into the 50s to now. Listen to everything and learn from everything and use the parts you can use. I think of it as a sampling, but you are sampling years not the physical sounds. If it has synthpop element, send away to open minded synthpop promoters (not those nazi, stick to dm clone sounds). If it has an Indie Rock sound, send it to them too. If it has House and so on. you get my point. Innovations can exist without borrowing few things and innovations shine when you use them and do it well.

I emphasis "DO IT WELL." That is the key. The good artists paint well. The greater artists can turn anything into their own and turn it into a gold.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

yeah, for sure pop. I don't know if you've listened to our newer stuff, but it definitely doesn't draw influence just from one particular place. I'm listening to different music all the time and I definitely find that doing so gives you lots of ideas. however, I don't necessarily think that this will make it any more likely that I sell more records. actually, it probably makes it more *difficult* if anything, but I really don't care. I'm doing what I want to do and that's what matters. and yeah, like you said, draw influence from the 50's through today... but! don't be ashamed of having alot of influences from the 80's or from anywhere. be honest about who you are musically. trying to add a hip-hop element just because it's cool to do so when you don't really dig it yourself is never going to work... neither is denying your true musical passions and influences.

and jeff, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but the newer intervox stuff is pretty damn rad. we should collaborate on something some time... like, swap guest guitar appearances or something. and no, I'm not "ass kissing" here.

on that note, yeah, I think that the ass kissing for self promotion thing is really stupid, but on the other hand, I would like to *encourage* people to make music, not *discourage* them. I am very anti-elitist about this. anybody who can make music should just go ahead and do it if they want to... it's not my place to make them feel like crap about themselves and their creativity just because I don't necessarily like what they're doing. elitism is diametrically opposed to what diy, counterculture music is supposed to be about.

Agree? Yes No

I think mixing sounds and it actually sounds good will help get more audience. Let's think about this. Why does DM sells million and other synthpop bands sell 500? Even I am not a true DM fan, I probably pick up a DM CD over other bands who sound like DM. Why would I buy a DM clone? DM has a huge budget for recording, videos, concerts, photographers, website, fashion, engineers, producers, etc. For $15, I am probably getting a share of million dollar investment toward their recording and promotion. Most of the time, big budget materials feels better. I am probably going to get a good quality material compare to a garage band. I am also likely to pick up artists who have their own sound and sound good even they have crappie image and promotional materials, because not to many bands sound like them. They stand on their own. I personally don't buy any Synthpop bands beside New Order, PSB, And One, DM, and Camaflouge. Why should I buy something else if they sound similar and have a less quality in comparison? It is human nature to put things in various categories. It is a basic function of the brain. However, I buy tons of different categories of music.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

oh man....for once I agree with POP to a extend.....holy cow !!

I agree as to why buy an album by a band that sounds similar to a band that is great like PSB, Erasure, etc...however some of the clone bands are actually pretty damn good. Infact, I am a big fan of some of the so called clones who can do it and do it good.

With that said, I am at that point right now with synthpop music where I dont buy much of it. I do not spend money on it like I once used to......now I buy with causion. I only buy quality stuff...where back in the days I bought anything that came out. In addition, my musical taste has changed with age....I am much more well rounded and buy music from all different genres...pop, rock, etc...(mostly 80's and 90's goodies)

I think www.yourmusic.com helped in that area due to its low prices.....now I have a hard time spending $15 on a not so good synthpop band.
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

Here is a problem with current so called, goth/ebm/industrial/futurepop scene....
    They sound way too formulated and can't think outside the box. Why so many people have moved to the Indie Electronica is even these bands don't sound amazing, they always think outside the box. Thinking outside the box feels nice. I will give a movie example... Indie Electronica feels like Hero who doesn't always get the girl. He might die at the end. The plot isn't generic. I might get a suprise ending.

too many futurepop bands....
    1) use the arp... especially access virus.
    2) male singer who sings in one note
    3) no emotions
    4) no groove at all... please don't forget the early 90s. still applies today. it was a groove era. think techno, house, britpop, and madchester.
    5) copy/paste midi feel. if you heard one band, most likely you are going to know the rest.

synthpop
    1) DM and Erasure as the Bible for inspiration. Why not other great Synthpop bands of the past?
    2) can't think outside the box for image, lyrics, and sounds.
    3) learn to use the damn drum machine. their idols DM use it very well... how come drum has no feel.
    4) it feels like a sissy robot music. play with velocity, feel, and dynamics. STOP COPY PASTE 8 bars into everything!!! Good robot music is something like Daft Punk.

EBM
    1) NO MORE BLADE RUNNER SAMPLES
    2) You don't always have to use the damn distortion. Clean can feel sexy.
    3) You don't always have to so damn dark.

Industrial
    1) Don't use the name, Industrial if you don't know what it means
    the name got tainted by EBM and Futurepop bands. Ant-Zen is industrial, not these other labels.

However, the pioneers of these types of music are still staying strong. They invented these types of music, so they can take it anyway they want and others keep on copying them without mixing it up with other things. That is why it never changes. People don't take risks.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by NJOberheim

Maybe those 10 votes puts a smile on the artists face. With all the crap that we deal with on a daily basis in this world, that little smile is priceless. Sure, it's not going to make them a star but at least, for an instant, they were happy.
    My point is that it brings out pointless competition and doesn't have any real significance. It reminds me of that electroculture voting fiasco, lol...it's like this rating feature on there, who cares? It's not healthy to live for other people's approval.

Originally posted by droom
    yeah, for sure pop. I don't know if you've listened to our newer stuff, but it definitely doesn't draw influence just from one particular place. I'm listening to different music all the time and I definitely find that doing so gives you lots of ideas. however, I don't necessarily think that this will make it any more likely that I sell more records. actually, it probably makes it more *difficult* if anything, but I really don't care. I'm doing what I want to do and that's what matters. and yeah, like you said, draw influence from the 50's through today... but! don't be ashamed of having alot of influences from the 80's or from anywhere. be honest about who you are musically. trying to add a hip-hop element just because it's cool to do so when you don't really dig it yourself is never going to work... neither is denying your true musical passions and influences.

and jeff, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but the newer intervox stuff is pretty damn rad. we should collaborate on something some time... like, swap guest guitar appearances or something. and no, I'm not "ass kissing" here.

on that note, yeah, I think that the ass kissing for self promotion thing is really stupid, but on the other hand, I would like to *encourage* people to make music, not *discourage* them. I am very anti-elitist about this. anybody who can make music should just go ahead and do it if they want to... it's not my place to make them feel like crap about themselves and their creativity just because I don't necessarily like what they're doing. elitism is diametrically opposed to what diy, counterculture music is supposed to be about.
    that would be cool! please email me

Originally posted by pop
    Here is a problem with current so called, goth/ebm/industrial/futurepop scene....
    They sound way too formulated and can't think outside the box. Why so many people have moved to the Indie Electronica is even these bands don't sound amazing, they always think outside the box. Thinking outside the box feels nice. I will give a movie example... Indie Electronica feels like Hero who doesn't always get the girl. He might die at the end. The plot isn't generic. I might get a suprise ending.

too many futurepop bands....
    1) use the arp... especially access virus.
    2) male singer who sings in one note
    3) no emotions
    4) no groove at all... please don't forget the early 90s. still applies today. it was a groove era. think techno, house, britpop, and madchester.
    5) copy/paste midi feel. if you heard one band, most likely you are going to know the rest.

synthpop
    1) DM and Erasure as the Bible for inspiration. Why not other great Synthpop bands of the past?
    2) can't think outside the box for image, lyrics, and sounds.
    3) learn to use the damn drum machine. their idols DM use it very well... how come drum has no feel.
    4) it feels like a sissy robot music. play with velocity, feel, and dynamics. STOP COPY PASTE 8 bars into everything!!! Good robot music is something like Daft Punk.

EBM
    1) NO MORE BLADE RUNNER SAMPLES
    2) You don't always have to use the damn distortion. Clean can feel sexy.
    3) You don't always have to so damn dark.

Industrial
    1) Don't use the name, Industrial if you don't know what it means
    the name got tainted by EBM and Futurepop bands. Ant-Zen is industrial, not these other labels.

However, the pioneers of these types of music are still staying strong. They invented these types of music, so they can take it anyway they want and others keep on copying them without mixing it up with other things. That is why it never changes. People don't take risks.
    Perfectly said. I get so tired of hearing square wave arps, lol...You mentioned the 50s earlier, it's coming back, I see a lot of bands in this new genre called "horror punk", like calabrese doing stuff like that, and it's cool cos it's not just 50s music, it's a nice blend of influences.

Agree? Yes No

I agree. I think it is exciting to hear things that sound different. I think it is exciting when artists try to achieve something new. It is like going to see a new horror film, but the bad guy is 100 ft smurf who eats Cheerios, liquid LSD, and human ears. It is something different, not the same old thing of boring and ordinary. It is like having an Indian Breakfast, and not having eggs for breakfast.

Jeff, you should try I-monster. If you want to try one track from Itune, get "Who Is She?"

this is the link the video

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...eoid=682644965

Originally posted by intervox

My point is that it brings out pointless competition and doesn't have any real significance. It reminds me of that electroculture voting fiasco, lol...it's like this rating feature on there, who cares? It's not healthy to live for other people's approval.
    Amen brother...
    I mean we lose so much money on gears and talk about the time lost? Not to mention the during the time of great internet bandwidth, it is less likely to get anywhere with earning any money without a major backing. Why not just do what you really want? Who gives a shit what others want you to write? Yea, the point system and charts are useless for the underground scene. Who cares? Why should some people constantly kiss ass? Good ass kisser doesn't equal to higher sales. It just means people will be nicer to you on the board. Yes, you are right. It isn't freaking healthy.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

I like it here, but agree things are pretty much dead. All topics of my own personal interest, questions, etc... have been replied to or answered. Still love Erasure and PSB, love exploring the new bands and new sounds within the electronic community. Love all of my friends I've met here, but truth be told, my real-life (on the outside) friends take precedence as far as chatting, etc.

I'm on Section44, BinFactor, (and I rarely post there anymore) and that's about it -- mainly because I have no qualms with *anyone* I've argued with past. present or future -- as I have never met any of them and feel that arguing on the internet is pointless...

I guess, in short -- I've grown up. Either that or bored myself to tears.

I have to say one thing about EGN. I've discovered some of the best music (IMHO) on this site that I'd never ever heard of elsewhere. Modyssey, Monolithic, Nukleon, Tristraum, BNI, Red Flag, Eloquent -- to name a few. I am glad and grateful that someone (whomever is running this site) is keeping the dream alive.

Anyway, off to bed. Ciao! - J

Agree? Yes No

Hey, cheer up people. It's always dead on the internet during the summer, people want to be outside, playing or whatever. Just wait and see, when job/school starts again, this place will wake up again!

/Christina

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Avil
    Hey, cheer up people. It's always dead on the internet during the summer, people want to be outside, playing or whatever. Just wait and see, when job/school starts again, this place will wake up again!

/Christina
    Not if you're in Texas. Outside is the last place you want to be right now.

Agree? Yes No

In all honesty, I have a bad habit of forgetting about EGN for weeks at a time. I'm bored at work and will think, "Oh, hell, I haven't checked EGN in weeks..."

Also, on the music note, as much as I love it, I haven't heard much in the whole synthpop/ebm/industrial/etc. realm that has done a lot for me of late. I hear stuff that I like, but very little that really nails me. Maybe that says something about me not seeking it out as much rather than a lack of exciting music...who knows?
    ...the revolution will be synthesized...

Agree? Yes No

rustcwc???

Now THERE'S someone I haven't seen in, like FOREVER!

Hi!!! :-) *waves*

Thread Information