Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: i'm BAAACK!! (and i need some recommendations)

Agree? Yes No

Default i'm BAAACK!! (and i need some recommendations)

Many of you probably don't remember me as I'm generally pretty quiet. I used to be very into the whole synth-pop scene a few years ago..... I kinda took a break from it and started listening to alot of indie/altrock/Britpop...... but I miss the scene and now I'm back.....

Can anyone recommend any new bands that have come out within the last 3 years? Preferably some with MySpace sites so I can check them out and keep tabs on them.

Any good new releases from the past three years from already established acts? I'm kinda curious about the new Covenant, but given that their last CD wasn't that great I'm not too sure.....

And BTW, I like pure synthpop..... nothing overrun with industrial or trance.

Agree? Yes No

The prodigal daughter returns home.

I like Covenant's Northern Light a lot other than "We Want Revolution" and "Scared." I dig the new Covenant. If you're looking for pure synthpop, I'd think that you'd love "Happy Man" on "Skyshaper." It has a great Moog synthline, and Eskil's vocals are wonderful. Even though the lyrics are happy, his voice is so sad. Plus, "20hz," "Brave New World," and "The Men" are very cool, danceable, and quite synthpoppy. "The World Is Growing Loud" is a slow number, but it's a great album closer.

As for other synthpop, you should check out Sweden's (I know how much you love Sweden's Kent) Backlash's "Heliotrope" from 2004. It's a great combination of vocals (this guy, Erik Thorstensson, actually sings very well and holds notes quite long on several songs which I love), deep and intelligent lyrics, and very cool music. They have some clips at My Space, but they're not that long, unfortunately, and they may not do the songs that much justice due to the brevity of the songs.

I think that Portland's "Eyes of a Stranger" from 2005 is a pretty good synthpop album even though there are obvious lyrical ripoffs from Duran Duran, Morrissey, and The Smiths. They have some songs up at My Space, as well.

Of course, I've enjoyed the latest releases from !distain and De/Vision.

Agree? Yes No

< shameless plug for friends on >
    Perhaps you should check out Section 44 Records. There are a variety of "pure synthpop" (as you've defined them) bands to check out there, including but not limited to:
    • Tristraum
    • Eloquent
    • Eight To Infinity
    • MODyssey
    • Rhythmic Symphony

There's another band on Section 44 that I would be remiss not to mention: Provision. Provision has been described as "electronic dance music with an edge"-- harder than "pure synthpop", but too melodic to be industrial. (Think early Red Flag or "Peace & Love Inc."-era Information Society, with updated sounds and programming.)

Section 44 features full-length sample downloads, so you can try before you buy. Compilations are available as well, for an economical introduction.

Oh, one other thing before I forget: Section 44 has its own active forum for keeping up with all the latest on featured artists-- most of them moderated by the artists themselves! Better yet, you can read/lurk without having to login, like you're forced to here. I frequent it as much as I do EGN.

< shameless plug off >
    Edgar / RE:Active
    http://www.dxtcmusic.com

Agree? Yes No

I saw Provision's first ever concert back in 2001 in Dallas. I have their first CD and even their first limited single that is pretty much a CDR. They're a decent band, but I really haven't been able to get into them. I think that Iris, another Texas band, is much better than Provision. I think that Crystal kind of knows who Iris are.

Agree? Yes No

If you are looking for your home town electronic band, you should check
    I LOVE YOU BUT I'VE CHOSEN DARKNESS (Austin, Texas)
    http://www.myspace.com/chosendarkness
    I dig "according to plan." they have better tracks that aren't posted. They are kind of like an emoelectro. I can give you a list of few hundreds of bands, but I really don't feel like typing them out. There are really good Electropop feel bands out there if you dig through and go outside the vanilla synthpop boy meets girl types of bands.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by I`m Not The One
    I saw Provision's first ever concert back in 2001 in Dallas. I have their first CD and even their first limited single that is pretty much a CDR. They're a decent band, but I really haven't been able to get into them. I think that Iris, another Texas band, is much better than Provision. I think that Crystal kind of knows who Iris are.
    *cough*KRYSTAL*cough* ;P

Steven????? I thought you had dropped off the face of the Earth..... I haven't seen you in um.... a long time.

I guess I will get the new Covenant. I have everything else so I kind of feel obligated.

Provision are good, yes... but alas, they are no Iris!!! I do kinda miss the Provision & Except Europa shows that always used to happen around here.....

Agree? Yes No

Ah, yes, Iris. "Endless" is a classic for the ages. I would dare say that the Disconnect album is a must-have for synthpop collectors.

Breye 7x & Co. has been refining and updating Provision's signature sound since the first album Evaporate, and the new album The Consequence is worth a listen-- it's a far cry from his U-N-I days for sure.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a Provision show July 2 in Houston with PLID and The Twilight Showdown, and another one July 28 in San Antonio (a CD release performance, so they're the headline band). Their live show is very energetic-- no shoegazing!
    Edgar / RE:Active
    http://www.dxtcmusic.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by dxtc
    Their live show is very energetic-- no shoegazing!

I agree. I saw their first Dallas show some years ago..... and I've seen a few shows since..... Breye was made for the stage!

test

Agree? Yes No

Default Meet multimode and ISatellite

Hey there,

You might be interested in hearing these two indie synthpop bands. Multimode is from Seattle and will be releasing their CD this year. Here's an article on them:

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/lakecity/

multimode also has a myspace site and has gotten a lot of response. You can listen to audiotracks at www.multimodemusic.com.

ISatellite has gotten great reviews. Listen to audio clips at: http://www.isatellite.info/bio.html

http://www.myspace.com/multimode

Agree? Yes No

http://www.iamx.co.uk/

This is how modern synthpop bands should sound. Production is great , Image and Concept great. Notice theres no fat bald head looser or nerd standing with blue jeans and a white shirt in the picture.

Im sick and tired of imageless nerds singing like choir boys, writing songs which have none of the essence of synthpop.

Even with all the lastest synths and effects they still sound crap. There are a good few bands trying, but some mentioned on this thread are f**king beyond terrible and giveing electronic music a bad name..
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Kirlian Blue
    http://www.iamx.co.uk/

This is how modern synthpop bands should sound. Production is great , Image and Concept great. Notice theres no fat bald head looser or nerd standing with blue jeans and a white shirt in the picture.

Im sick and tired of imageless nerds singing like choir boys, writing songs which have none of the essence of synthpop.
    They're not all wearing plastic sun glasses and staring into the sky are they???? Amidst a badly photoshopped background, perhaps???

I will check them out.

<3kng

Agree? Yes No

I look for bands who have their own unique sounds that are hard to copy and can write decent pop hooks. I look for innovators and not followers. I am exposed to many music. People who aren't exposed to many music might have a different perspective. Internet has created various level systems. The marketers can't push one idea and clean out the rest. The net archives everything. All of the sudden, the Beatles are popular again. Why is that?

My point is people like me give more credits to innovators than clone bands who can write half decent pop tunes. When the quantity is large, you must differentiate.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

too many opinions and not enough good albums produced by said opinionated people have infiltrated this post

Thread Information