Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: myspace owns your souls?

Agree? Yes No

Default myspace owns your souls?

i am not sure if this is accurate or not.

http://www.rinf.com/columnists/news/...artists-beware

"Myspace/Fox Artists Beware
    Thursday, April 27th, 2006

Myspace/Fox can use ANYTHING of yours you post to your site [music, videos, photographs, art work, etc.]. This means they can alter it, edit it, sell it, etc. WITHOUT giving you credit

This has recently been brought to my attention… You can find the content that is quoted below by clicking “terms” on the myspace homepage and scrolling down a bit. I.e. its taken directly from the terms of use, it’s not some silly paranoid internet scare tactic.

In summation, myspace/fox can use ANYTHING of yours you post to your site [music, videos, photographs, art work, etc.]. This means they can alter it, edit it, sell it, etc. WITHOUT giving you credit, giving you royalties, basically without giving you jack shit. Please be aware of this and use caution when sharing your creative works on myspace. I love being an intermanet whore like the rest of you and I adore seeing everyone’s new work - but I’d hate for it to be violated and taken out from under your control by a Media company that’s much bigger than you.

If you think this is as frightening as I do, please repost and warn your fellow artists/friends about this. Direct quote is below.

Proprietary Rights in Content on MySpace.com.
    By displaying or publishing (”posting”) any Content, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, profiles, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, “Content”) on or through the Services, you hereby grant to MySpace.com, a non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees) to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, store, reproduce, transmit, and distribute such Content on and through the Services. This license will terminate at the time you remove such Content from the Services. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a back-up or residual copy of the Content posted by you may remain on the MySpace.com servers after you have removed the Content from the Services, and MySpace.com retains the rights to those copies. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on or through the Services or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of your Content on or through the Services does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person. You agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owing any person by reason of any Content posted by you to or through the Services. "
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

i dont care......that place is addicting....it really has my soul
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

If you read it, this doen't apply to you. It applies for people who create contents on the net. It applies to musicians, producers, graphic designers, and film makers. I doubt they will make millions selling your pics.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

Agree? Yes No

And THAT is why i don't post jack in terms of art on that horrid site... Hell i don't post jack on it anyways.

It's a seething breeding ground for art thieves, and now as fox bought it, an open corporate schmorges board (However the bloody hell that's spelt..)
    When a artist paints, they dip their brush in their soul, and with that they can paint life with all its vivid colors and aspects.

Agree? Yes No

I'm hooked on myspace too. Hey... If any of my art/images/etc. is/are worth stealing -- let 'em have it/them.

(?)

Agree? Yes No

If your artwork is properly watermarked then whats the big deal?

"Horrid, seething breeding ground" or not - If you want a huge captive audience to be exposed to your Music or art, you can't arugably find a bigger site to establish yourself on that is so easy to access.

Agree? Yes No

If the liscence is revoked when you remove content, then there is no issue. What capital can they gain from that, where you can pull out at any point ?

If they want to spend money subliscensing my music and promting it, with the risk that if they are successful in doing so, I can remove my profile and terminate their liscence and subliscences, causing them to either : 1) negotiate another liscence from me on my terms, 2) pull whatever scheme/product they have come up with off air.

Looks like a win/win to me !
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

It is amazing that some of you assume that you are models...
    Photoshop ROCK ON!
    It is priceless...
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank
    If your artwork is properly watermarked then whats the big deal?

"Horrid, seething breeding ground" or not - If you want a huge captive audience to be exposed to your Music or art, you can't arugably find a bigger site to establish yourself on that is so easy to access.
    Well, there's other, safer means of doing that.

Deviantart has worked quite well in terms of that, as well as good ol fashioned advertising and word of mouth.

Yes alot of music artists have gained a good amount of attention there, i won't dispute that, but it comes at it's own risks.

It just boils down to a thing of choice...
    When a artist paints, they dip their brush in their soul, and with that they can paint life with all its vivid colors and aspects.

Agree? Yes No

If they wouldn't have added this clause they should pay you royalties every time someone plays your song or adds your song to their profile... Seems somehow right to me [if you take this as meaning what I say]

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank
    If you want a huge captive audience to be exposed to your Music or art, you can't arugably find a bigger site to establish yourself on that is so easy to access.
    I agree... things like Myspace are more GOOD for artists than bad... I actually have one very simple complaint...

the word "CAPTIVE"

Something needs to surround a piece of art to make it special (whether it's music or visual). What makes something stand out is often more in what IS NOT around it than what is. When art and music is dithered down to a mass delivery sort of thing then even art that is beautiful and represents a lot of work is nearly as recognized for what it is because it's lost the context. It ignores the audience and concentrates on the distribution.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Some people in myspace.com are delusional. Photoshop, makes them models. Bands who spam 10,000 emails a day assume they are top billboard bands. It is internet . It is not real. 250lb girl becames Kate Moss. Garage bands become Coldplay. Flash creator becames Steven Spielberg. They assume all their friends are fans. I don't think so...
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Thread Information