Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what will be your next car?

Agree? Yes No

Default what will be your next car?

what do you think it will be? are people waiting for hydrogen (still in the development) ethanol or hybrid cars? the gasoline prices will keep on going up even we are hitting our oil reserves. if more people buy the future ethanol cars, the engergy stations (gas stations) have to stock ethanol. at the current stage of the game, i am afraid to get a new car to replace my aging gasoline automobile. what are you thinking?

added: the ethanol combusts less engergy than oil that means you get less mileage. the based on current ratio of the ethanol price, you only save 5% to 10% cost, but it exhausts 25% less emission to the air. it is better for the environment, but you will be not be saving huge amount of money. we also can't wait for hydrogen cars to roll out. i think it will take about 10 years for safe hydrogen cars to be available. it seems like hybrid cars are feasible alternative, but current hybrid cars are oil and batteries based. hopefully, it will be ethanol and batteries in the future.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

I'd love to have an alternative fuel car with the style of say, a 1964 mustang... Mmm... Old meets new.

Until something like that comes out, it's likely i'll be hiking it.
    When a artist paints, they dip their brush in their soul, and with that they can paint life with all its vivid colors and aspects.

Agree? Yes No

Sadly, until the auto industry can make a hybrid car rely more on it's batteries than the methane gas it takes to operate them, we'll still see a depleted ozone and higher gas prices...The current state of hybrid technology is focused more toward making a profit in giving consumers more miles to the gallon than anything else...Sure they'll use the ruse that they're "better" for the environment, but those electric motors that help to power the cars only run until the cars hit a certain speed or coast for more than a specific amount of miles at the same speed...With today's driving conditions, they almost never run their electric motors long enough to make a difference...Case in point, the Toyota Prius: Nothing more than an excuse for single car drivers to clog up the once somewhat steady flowing express lanes usually alloted to carpooling and buses...There is also the fact that this new technology (for what good it does) has been priced out of reach to the average car buying consumer...Hybrid cars carry an MSRP far above a gas engine vehicle...Again, we can make the cars work so that they better the environment, but we'll only give it to those with fatter pockets...

As for oils??? Well, most cars can now be run on the synthetic blended oils that are biodegradable, but still can't out perform conventional oils...Just as well, those that do choose to run synthetic blended oils usually only do so to extend the life of their engine rather than do it for mother earth...

In my honest opinion, the auto industry was onto something back in the early 90's when the eco-friendly Greenpeacers were touting the all electric cars that could be plugged in and recharged...They were capable of reaching highway speeds and had long lasting batteries...If only they didn't make the damned things look like mini space ships they might have caught on...

I mean what's actually worse??? The ozone crushing methane and various gas powered engines around the world, or a bunch of batteries that can be made to be broken down, recycled, or recharged??? People need to get around and even if we were to go back to horse drawn buggies, we'd still have to put up with all the horse shit ruining the air eventually...I'd say go with the lesser of the evils...

As for now, I drive an economy car thats designed to give off lower emissions because 1) Hybrids are too expensive 2) Hybrids still look too spacy and lack a good body design 3) Hybrids don't live up to my standards in terms of driving performance...

It could be worse...I could be driving a gross polluting 1976 Ford that hasn't had a tune-up since it came off the lot...I agree with Caffeine Queen, give me a nice looking hybrid that I can actually afford and I'll be the first one in line to trade my new car in for it

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

hydrogen cars are bullshit

electric cars, if you can make them safe AND get people to buy them (they didn't buy them when they were on the market before), still have problems.... which is to say that they rely on electricity and you have to think about where your electricity comes from.

there are those that want us to becoming independent of foreign oil... and that'd be a wonderful thing. i want to become independent of burning coal... where is the Bush administration mentioning this? he's not.

where is Bush talking about conservation? he's not.

best solution = nuclear fusion. we just can't do it right now but research is underway. unfortunately our government thought it was too expensive to continue building the superconducting supercollider which would've been VERY helpful in the research on how to get sustained energy from fusion.

my second choice behind fusion is CONSERVATION because every other option has too many problems.

Originally posted by 7red7
    [b]Sadly, until the auto industry can make a hybrid car rely more on it's batteries than the methane gas it takes to operate them, we'll still see a depleted ozone and higher gas prices...
    sorry Dan but this is incorrect. This is probably something you've read in many places but it's a load of horseshit.

Electric cars that can go 100 miles on a battery that you charge up by plugging it in... these are the electric cars that Bush is talking up. Here are the problems:

1. they were already on the market and nobody bought them

2. they run on electricity and you burn coal in order to get your electricity.. therefore the CO2 is still being released into the atmosphere, so they are not safe for the environment

as for gas prices. forget about gas prices, think about ENERGY prices. I don't care what you're putting into your car to make it run... or what you're using to power the appliances in your house... whatever "alternative" energy it is using or whatever fossil fuel it is using... it is going to be EXPENSIVE.

The current state of hybrid technology is focused more toward making a profit
    and it always will be.

As for oils??? Well, most cars can now be run on the synthetic blended oils that are biodegradable, but still can't out perform conventional oils...Just as well, those that do choose to run synthetic blended oils usually only do so to extend the life of their engine rather than do it for mother earth...
    you talking about those bio-diesel engines?

whatever it is you are referring to there, here is the problem:

it is a VERY small percentage.. smaller than 1% that are using these technologies. So you can hear all these great stories about people using the used oil from McDonalds to power their car and blah blah blah. Multiply that by tens of thousands of people or more and the supply won't be there... plus the cost will go way up. It's just not a feasible solution on a grand scale.

In my honest opinion, the auto industry was onto something back in the early 90's when the eco-friendly Greenpeacers were touting the all electric cars that could be plugged in and recharged...
    In my honest opinion, the cars ran on electricity that was produced by burning coal which releases CO2 into the atmosphere and harms the environment... global warming. So electric cars are nonsense. Who cares whether you take it up the ass from the oil/gas companies or take it up the ass from the electric companies... it's all going to be expensive.

it would be nice if car companies stopped producing cars like the Hummre which are just retarded as far as the economics go. it'd also be nice if they stopped lying and misleading people about the information.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by joel_sgx
    ...and you burn coal in order to get your electricity.. therefore the CO2 is still being released into the atmosphere, so they are not safe for the environment
    unless you live in a grid that is supplied by nuclear generated electricity. IL, PA and NJ are three states that i know of off the top o my head (isnt parts of TX that way too? i guess i should really know that already).

to answer the intial question though...
    public transit and shoeleatherexpress.
    dont die...
    fen.

CTRL

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by fen

unless you live in a grid that is supplied by nuclear generated electricity. IL, PA and NJ are three states that i know of off the top o my head (isnt parts of TX that way too? i guess i should really know that already)..
    no, then you have an entirely different issue on your hand... what do you do with the waste that is left over?

or better question, what will the government allow you to do?

nuclear fission as a source for energy cannot be considered safe for the environment because of the large amounts of waste that nobody has any good idea what to do with.

plus if, god forbid, there is another accident...

Agree? Yes No

no, then you have an entirely different issue on your hand... what do you do with the waste that is left over?

or better question, what will the government allow you to do?

nuclear fission as a source for energy cannot be considered safe for the environment because of the large amounts of waste that nobody has any good idea what to do with.

plus if, god forbid, there is another accident...
    what waste...theres no waste.
    NV has worked so far.
    dont die...
    fen.

CTRL

Agree? Yes No

what waste? what do you mean what waste? the nuclear waste... the shit they are storing at the reactor sites and the shit that they move around on the railroads in this country.

what are you referring to with NV?

Agree? Yes No

Sadly, until the auto industry can make a hybrid car rely more on it's batteries than the methane gas it takes to operate them, we'll still see a depleted ozone and higher gas prices...
    Most Hybrids I know about run on gasoline not methane. Regardless, methane gas does not deplete ozone. It actually creates it. I think you are confusing two seperate issues. One, we have an ozone hole in the upper atmosphere. This may have been caused in a large part by CFCs. Then there is the ozone in the lower atmosphere (a component of smog). Methane creates smog.

The current state of hybrid technology is focused more toward making a profit in giving consumers more miles to the gallon than anything else...Sure they'll use the ruse that they're "better" for the environment, but those electric motors that help to power the cars only run until the cars hit a certain speed or coast for more than a specific amount of miles at the same speed...With today's driving conditions, they almost never run their electric motors long enough to make a difference...Case in point, the Toyota Prius: Nothing more than an excuse for single car drivers to clog up the once somewhat steady flowing express lanes usually alloted to carpooling and buses...There is also the fact that this new technology (for what good it does) has been priced out of reach to the average car buying consumer...Hybrid cars carry an MSRP far above a gas engine vehicle...Again, we can make the cars work so that they better the environment, but we'll only give it to those with fatter pockets...
    I am not sure you are correct about when the electric motor is useful. I thought it would help as long as there was enough charge in the battery. The biggest improvement with the hybrids though is in city (especially rush hour) driving. When you are in stop and go traffic, the electric engine does most of the work, and the gasoline turns off automatically when the car is stopped. I have been in a Prius as it does this.

I agree that Hybrids are more expensive. Consumer Reports just had an article in their april edition that showed that after 5 years the most cost effective hybrid still cost $3700 more. This assumed that gas prices would get up to $4/gallon.

I don't think that Hybrids are the answer to our environmental and transportational needs. I don't think Hydrogen cars are the answer either. And I have heard that Ethonol production uses more energy then you get from the fuel (although this one I don't know too much about). I want my next car to be a Diesel powered car, running on biodiesel. Diesel engines were designed to be much more efficient than gasoline engines, and BioDiesel is made from vegtable oil. (you can make it yourself from vegtable oil that was used to make french fries or any other deep fried food.) It is non-toxic, it is better for the engine, it doesn't require any modifications to the engine, it is cheap (if you make it yourself), and most importantly it doesn't add anymore carbon to the carbon cycle. Yes it does release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, but all that carbon was carbon that was taken out of the atmosphere by plants. The problem with fossil fuels is that it is carbon that had been locked up in the earth, not in our atmosphere.

Or the other thing that I am looking forward to is making gasoline out of bio-waste. In a recent issue of Discover Magazine, there was an article about making fuels from turkey guts. According to the article, biological substances can be converted into gasoline (or other hydrocarbon fuels). This includes some kinds of plastics that previously have not been recycleable. I think things like this are really exciting and important. With this technology, we won't have to change the cars we drive, just the source of the fuel, and we will still be helping our environment.

Not to mention the fact that we won't rely on foreign petroleum for these fuels.

Agree? Yes No

what waste? what do you mean what waste? the nuclear waste... the shit they are storing at the reactor sites and the shit that they move around on the railroads in this country.
    what are you referring to with NV?
    "what waste?" was a joke. obviously missed. slap yer knee one time for me.
    NV :
    http://www.state.nv.us/nucwaste/whatsnew.htm
    http://www.yuccamountain.org/
    http://www.epa.gov/radiation/yucca/
    also:
    In 1983, the DOE selected nine locations in six states for consideration as potential repository sites. This was based on data collected for nearly ten years. The nine sites were studied and results of these preliminary studies were reported in 1985. Based on these reports, President Reagan approved three sites for intensive scientific study called site characterization. The three sites were Hanford, Washington; Deaf Smith County, Texas; and Yucca Mountain.
    dont die...
    fen.

CTRL

Agree? Yes No

oh, you're referring to Yucca Mountain

well... i will be honest in saying that i don't know what the environmental impact would be of burying the waste... i'm sure it's probably not good

but still, the government hasn't allowed it

so everyone, whenever you see a train go by... just remember that it could be containing nuclear waste. unmarked of course.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by fen

unless you live in a grid that is supplied by nuclear generated electricity. IL, PA and NJ are three states that i know of off the top o my head (isnt parts of TX that way too? i guess i should really know that already).

to answer the intial question though...
    public transit and shoeleatherexpress.
    Don't forget in certain areas of states, they are rolling out the wind energy to generate electricity. Excelon is already making it available. It costs about $10 more a month than the traditional electricity.

By the way, it is almost guarantee that the gasoline price will reach $4/gallon by this year as our Alaska reserve gets low. Most areas of USA is at the peak stage. We are pumping mostly water.

I agree with the few people here about not relying on foreign oil from the Middle East. Only thing we are doing is making the Middle East richer and funding unnecessary wars. At the same time, it seems like we are giving them money to fight a war against us. It seems like our relationships with the West Africa nations will grow stronger as the West Africa seems like an untapped market that aren't hitting the peak stage of oil depletion. Of course this means, there might be small wars in Africa in the future while we try to make their countries Democratic/Capitalism, so they can sell their oil to us.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by pop
    Don't forget in certain areas of states, they are rolling out the wind energy to generate electricity. Excelon is already making it available. It costs about $10 more a month than the traditional electricity.
    $10 more....thats good to know, and reasonable, considering the start up costs. thanks.
    dont die...
    fen.

CTRL

Agree? Yes No

For those in Dallas, there was an excellent story about where Dallasites get their electricity from.

Then it breaks down the costs and the pluses and minuses of each of the four sources- Coal/Natural Gas/Nuclear/Wind

I STRONGLY recommend that everyone do some research on this in their area... Here are my thoughts:

1. Energy is the #1 most important issue this generation and the next face...

2. It's the least understood and the least misrepresented issue - well, besides Immigration

3. If you care at all about the future of this planet and the future of mankind, you will pay attention, educate yourself, and act on the knowledge you gain about this issue because it's so damn important

Agree? Yes No

Yea, this is a serious matter. Our econmic future depends on the energy. No energy, we got nothing. No energy means inflation and recession at same time. You should know the basic ecommics to know what happens next... NO MONEY/JOBS!! Remember what makes difference between the 3rd world countries and modern nations. We are the biggest energy consumer with only the 3% of world's oil left in this country. The alternative energy is the future. Look at Brazil's econmics! Not having a foreign dependence on oil is helping their ecomny boost! The idea of conservation is only good for the short term. The oil companies will always make money based on the current law. Only thing they have to do is raise prices if they have too much losses. Unless, our government start taxing them heavier. I am sure Senates in certain states that pump oil will say, conservation is the answer, because it will create money and jobs for their states to pump oil. Just like few states who have large government contracts for weapons and others are so much pro war. Come on, our govt spent over $85 billion already on this war. That's why you have to watch out for Representatives on certain states. We are an energy depedent world, and there is no way out of it. The goal is find and push the alternative energy. Also, the conservation will only slow down the inflation that is coming, not get rid of it!!

added: Here is what really fucking piss me off!!! Every time, oil gets more fucking press, oil price rises, iDiots who don't give a shit about America knows about this swing and invest more on oil!! This only drives the oil price up and give more profit to oil companies!!
    URGHHH!!!
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

Default they say vegetarians are gassier

Originally posted by pop
    ...Look at Brazil's econmics! Not having a foreign dependence on oil is helping their ecomny boost! The idea of conservation is only good for the short term....
    We are an energy depedent world, and there is no way out of it. The goal is find and push the alternative energy. Also, the conservation will only slow down the inflation that is coming, not get rid of it!![/b]
    Brazil took 30 years to develop and implement that strategy (and still NOT 100% independent). they are an excellent model though. the progressive US policy makers think the US can do it in 15 years, and not using sugar cane as Brazil does, but switchgrass, etc (set your stock sites now). we'll see.
    some people think we've had the techology for several decades already.

personally, i think we should attach methane collectors to the side of our thrones, and take em in for deposit once a week.
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/kids/energyfa...e/biomass.html
    go ahead, try to tell me your shit doesnt stink.
    dont die...
    fen.

CTRL

Agree? Yes No

They should attach methane collectors to the lift stations at the sewage treatment plants then, because rotting sewage is a never-ending source of methane.
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

oil price rosed by $1.50 a barrel!!! biggest since march 28!.
    read the article why!
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...c&refer=europe

by the way, anybody in this forum work in the financial sector? can someone light up some questions for us?
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

Only way, we are going to fix our crisis is if our government strongly push and fund the non-oil companies to develop alternative energy. Even the oil companies are claiming they are working on an alternative energy, do you really believe them? Their stock prices and profit sky rockets everytime terrorists attack the oil fields, hurricanes hit this country, and global warming and oil depletion hit the press. It is clear that the trend is the fear of public drives the oil prices up.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Thread Information