Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about De/vision or any other band really

Agree? Yes No

Default about De/vision or any other band really

people need to listen to the actual albums and make up their own minds about what they think of the music and not let others influence them with their (often negative) opinions...

case in point:

when De/vision released Void I remember not seeing a single positive review of the album... people said it was horrible and not to even waste your time on it. In fact, that has pretty much been the case with every De/vision album since Void with the little exception that some people have since begun to love Two... but other then that people think De/vision sucks now and they have gone downhill and blah blah blah

I'd be willing to bet that not even half of those who think De/vision has gone downhill actually own those albums and didn't just hear a couple mp3s... and of those who own the album they probably didn't listen to it more than once or twice

i say you should go back and listen to Void because it's a great album... all of their albums before that were damn good too but I actually think Void was their best album up to that point. Of course Monosex was the best album up to that point as well when it was released.

But anyway, I just want to say that no one should take someone elses word to heart when it comes to whether or not an album is good. I dislike Mesh's last album Who Watches Over Me... I think it's pretty much trash... but that's just my opinion and you should go listen to it yourself. I see a ton of bandwagon opinioners in this small scene of ours... one person says something sucks and then everyone starts saying it sucks. It's bullshit... Void doesn't suck, it's a great album. Subkutan is a great album. We Collide is a great album. But don't take my word for it, stop listening to mp3s that someone gave you and go get the album and listen to it for fuck's sake.

/soapbox... i just had to get that off my chest

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: about De/vision or any other band really

Originally posted by joel_sgx
    people need to listen to the actual albums and make up their own minds about what they think of the music and not let others influence them with their (often negative) opinions...

case in point:

I'd be willing to bet that not even half of those who think De/vision has gone downhill actually own those albums and didn't just hear a couple mp3s... and of those who own the album they probably didn't listen to it more than once or twice

I have the De/Vision albums and am willing to say that they are sliping in quality. Putting out an album every year is not quality...its quantity...and that I dont care for.

I dont own VOID.....but from what I've heard of it...sounds decent unlike the recent release that seems a bit rushed IMO.

I be picking up VOID soon and we'll talk then
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

Void in fact is my favourite De/Vision album and I do own every release by De/Vision including a handful of singles, dvds plus live albums. With this new release it took me awhile to get into it, but it did grow on me. A couple tracks did make me cringe though. There are a few tracks on this album that are just rather beautiful like, 'No Tomorrow.' I suppose it's because I didn't have the actual cd in front of me with the lyrics or artwork to really appreciate it. Anyone notice the refferences to the human body wheather physical or emotional? Hence, the type of graphics/art work used. Sometimes if I listen to a cd perhaps a year or two after it's initial release I tend to realize it's not so bad or I discover something about that cd I didn't before which can change my opinion of it. You do realize it's not so bad after all
    \"Squish Is What Jelly Fish Do\"

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Re: about De/vision or any other band really

Originally posted by synth-master
    Putting out an album every year is not quality...its quantity...and that I dont care for.
    this is where i call bullshit on your opinion Shervin....

who is to say that a band can't release a quality album every year? who says they can't release one every six months that's quality?

time means dick

you either like the albums or you don't... but time doesn't have a damn thing to do with it

Agree? Yes No

Joel,

I agree with you totally about making your own mind up about music and not let others influence your opinion. But I'd like to think that the people who frequent this forum do have an opinion and are genuine fans of this kind of music, and if they dislike something they'd say or rave about how good it is. The people I dislike are press critics who can slate an album and seriously sway peoples opinion to buy or not.

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Re: Re: about De/vision or any other band really

this is where i call bullshit on your opinion Shervin....

who is to say that a band can't release a quality album every year? who says they can't release one every six months that's quality?

time means dick

you either like the albums or you don't... but time doesn't have a damn thing to do with it
    well...then the new album kinda SUCKS !!! :P
    to me, they are loosing their quality control. Even the last album only had 5 or 6 good songs, the rest of the album were fillers....the new album only has 3 good songs and the rest are all fillers.....that should tell you something
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

maybe so Shervin.. but you also said that Analogue sucked and now you told me you like it.

Subkutan definitely isn't some revolutionary album.. but it certainly doesn't suck.

De/vision can't be viewed as the same band that released World Without End. They aren't a "singles" band anymore. I think some people think they are going downhill because they don't have singles anymore that are standout tracks. But they certainly are the best synthpop band as far as releasing strong albums from start to finish. Some just mistake that for being boring. I'd much rather have a band release an album that is great from start to finish with no standout tracks then a band that releases a mediocre album with a couple standout tracks on there.

Agree? Yes No

I own every official De/Vision album including Antiquity but excluding their live albums. My only problem with Subkutan is Subtronic and E-Shock. The lyrics are silly, and it's just filler music. They are qute danceable, and I can see why some people like those two songs.

I like Void a lot. I can't say that it's my favorite, but every song is really good except for that annoying "anywhere" loop in that same song. It's the first time that they actually sampled lines from movies in an album. Well, I think that they're from movies. "My mother taught me. I used the whole chicken." I'd love to know from what movie that line comes. The last track, "Remember," has to be one of their best songs. It's awesome.

I can't say that they've gone downhill. Devolution is one of my favorites from De/Vision. I was just expecting a little more from Subkutan, but I just listened to it the other day.

Agree? Yes No

Default quality vs. quantity

I agree with the above post that mentioned that De/Vision puts out to many album's to quickly. they need to spend a little more time crafting a good song, like they did with Monosex. I'd rather have quality than quantity.
    and again, the latest 3 cd's by de/vision just didn't have that "something" their previous albums had. I even liked Void. their sound just somehow changed with Devolution, 6 feet and Subkutan, and not for the better.
    just my opintion, though, and yes, i do own almost everything they put out.
    sptest

Agree? Yes No

thank you Sptest.

What is wrong with crafting a good song like they used to do Joel???
    That is the problem with that band........instead of putting out albums every year...lets concentrate on putting out albums every two years and put out some killer tunes like the old days (quality).

I will never say that the new album is great cause its not compared to their older ones like "two" "monosex", etc..

They are now just an ordinary band to me. I want "hits"....not albums filled with mediocre/rushed songs.

maybe so Shervin.. but you also said that Analogue sucked and now you told me you like it.

Subkutan definitely isn't some revolutionary album.. but it certainly doesn't suck..
    I never said it sucked....just that it didnt meet their typical quality work. Most of their older albums are better.....but the new album grew on me and finally like it. I still think it blows "memorial beach" away. That was their weakest work to date.
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

Okay so Subkutan doesn't suck, it just doesn't deliver hits like you want.

De/vision isn't a singles band anymore... it's pretty obvious given their last several albums... I haven't heard a strong singles-centered album from them since Monosex. Everything from Void on has just been good tracks on the album with no really standout ones.

I still don't think that it has anything to do with the fact that they released it a year after 6 Feet Underground

they would've released the same album if they waited two years or three years... makes no difference imo

Agree? Yes No

de/visions output seems to have gone down in quality with each cd after VOID, same time the third member Markus left. He seems to have been integral to their sound up to that point.
    I have everything up to Subkutan, but I havent heard anything off of it that makes me want to buy it

Agree? Yes No

The problem with De/Vision is that these guys are pushing 40 and haven't had day jobs (according to a very reliable source) for nearly 16 years. What could they possibly be qualified to do for a new career in Germany with a resume' that simply states "musician in synth band" ??

Subkutan was a disaster. It didn't sell well anywhere either, despite all the MySpace promotion etc. I love the band, always have, but Sherv and the guys are right - you need GOOD songs to go with the excellent programming. Somewhere after "Two" they simply lost their focus.
    \"I\'m just an ordinary man
    With extraordinary hands
    I don\'t want to hear your answers
    I don\'t have the big plan\"

Agree? Yes No

I don't know if they've lost their focus. To some, that may be true, but I can point out plenty of great tracks from their last three albums. As I've said, I was expecting more from Subkutan, but it has some stand out tracks.

Here are some of my thoughts for Devolution. To me, it's my second favorite behind Monosex.

Miss You More is beautiful. That piano piece in the song is wonderful. "Hold me close before it's too late."

A New Dawn--"I'm only pain not good for you. Don't follow me for I'm lost, too." I love that line.

Far Too Deep--I love that quirky synth line in the song.

You Say--"I know that all there is is pain, and all the lovers love in vain we do. You know we do." Another line that I love.

Digital Dream--Great electro song. Pure synth bliss.

These are just a few reasons why I love Devolution.

As for Subkutan, yes, the lyrics in The End are kind of silly, but I think that we've all felt that way towards someone. Plus, I like the vocal effects in that song. I could go on, but I have to go back to work. :0)

Agree? Yes No

but see, you actually listen to the albums Steven... these other foolios just complain about them on the internet

Agree? Yes No

Default two camps

Well, there are apparantly two camps people are sitting in when discussing De/Vision. One, that they are still putting out great albums, albeit, different from their older stuff. And second, that somewhere after Void/Two they started to lose focus and their songs just started sounding plain and lifeless.
    Maybe it is because Markus left the band. When Mode lost Wilder their sound sure changed, and not for the better (although, Ultra is one of my favorite DM albums).
    All I'm saying is that I hope the next De/Vision sounds more like Fairyland or Monosex than 6 Feet or Devolution.
    sptest

p.s. I must say synth-master, I'll bet we like a lot of the same bands/songs.

Agree? Yes No

lol, like or dislike the new stuff, i just watched de/vision play 10 shows in germany, each of which had between 500-1000 people singing along to the lyrics of practically every song they played. (and they didn't play a single track from "void" fyi)

thus, to say they're "over the hill" is a bit misleading

p.s. does anyone read this board anymore? i see the same 10 people posting over and over again

Agree? Yes No

that may be true Andrew, but the main point of all of this is that i'm right and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. that's the moral of this entire discussion.

Agree? Yes No

well, I also love VOID... they didn't released a better album after this one IMO... and I bet that I'll like more the next albums if they maintain the VOID sound than what they did (aside I like the next albums too).

I think in the end is only question of taste, which is different to everyone in the world. :P

Agree? Yes No

"I can't say that they've gone downhill. Devolution is one of my favorites from De/Vision. I was just expecting a little more from Subkutan, but I just listened to it the other day."

See this is what I always find interesting. I LOVE "new" De/Vision more than old. But Devolution is my least fav of the post Void era.

I just saw De/Vision 5 times live in Germany and they kicked serious ass. They have a great stage presence and Steffen is a great frontman. Hell, even Thomas behind a keyboard is fun to watch!!

I dissagree that putting an album out once a year makes for bad material. The time in between albums means shite. It really comes down to creativity.

Both the guys are also incredibly sweet, open, and do a lot for their fans. They may not pull thousands per show but they pull a lot of people and those people love them to death.

My friend gave me World Without End years ago and it did not turn me on to De/Vision. It wasn't until I was in Alexanderplatz a few years later and picked up Void that I though "woah..what is this??" I think everything they have done since Void is better then the earlier albums.

It's the same split you get with the DM camp. Post Violator etc. It depends on what you look for in a band. I look for maturity, and a vast range of creative style (which is EXACTLY what De/Vision have done Void on..) Many bands in the genre don't have that at all. They write the same album over and over and over and over again. And for many fans, that is exactly what they want. Sadly..

I say - boring!!

Tara

Thread Information