Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: about De/vision or any other band really

Agree? Yes No

Are there a lot of reasons why Devolution is your least fave from the post-Void era? I listed some things that I love so much about Devolution. I'm just curious to hear why a lot of people don't like Devolution. I love Six Feet Underground, but to me, Right on Time and Klangmonaut are just fillers. Plus, I don't like Take Me To Heaven. I love every song on Devolution. As for Subkutan, Subsonic and E-Shock are fillers. In Dir is ok. It's not as good as Endlose Träume. The rest of the album is really good with The End, Star-Crossed Lovers, Addict, Still Unknown, and Summer Sun being my favorites on the album.

As for Void, I applaud Steffen, Markus, and Thomas sticking their necks out to make something totally different with Void. Void is a great album. Like you hinted at, I can't think of too many other bands in this genre that have gone that direction like De/Vision did with Void. Most bands are afraid to change their sound. Apoptygma Berzerk has gone another direction, and I really dig their new album. I also find it absurd that people wanted APB to change their name because their sound changed.

Agree? Yes No

Yeah, I love Apop's new album... I've kind of yo-yo'ed on my opinion of it but whenever I listen to it I LOVE it. I'm sorry but I think it's easily their best in a long time... certainly better than Harmonizer

and I'm glad some people have spoken up and said they liked Void, because that album got such a bad rap when it was first released... everybody said they hated it. I think it's easily in their top 3.

Agree? Yes No

I like Harmonizer a lot. I don't care for OK Amp, Let Me Out and Detroit Tickets, but I really like the rest of the album.

Void is in my top three De/Vision albums. You're right that it got a bad rap when it was first released. Remember is one of my favorite De/Vision songs. It's such a sad song.

Agree? Yes No

Why do I not like Devolution as much?

I just think the melodies of the songs aren't as strong. The lyrics as well. I don't know, it just doesn't gel as well with me.

But I LOVE Six Feet Underground to death and I love Subkutan.
    Both those albums really touch on different styles and genres than albums of the past.

Two is sort of like Subkutan in that initially one might listen to it once and go - oh hrm..boring.

But both, once you get past the initial listen, have far more intricacies buried in the songs which though slow paced, are great tunes.

Funny thing too for me - I hated E-Shock initially. Now I really like it. And after watching it live - wow. It really works live well.

I think too many gave VOID a bad rap because they were all "synth purists" who got so overly shocked that there was more than just synthesisers on the album.

Which is pretty pathetic if you ask me..but nonetheless..

Tara

Agree? Yes No

It is always very interesting to me whenever there is a De/Vision discussion and people talk about their favorite albums that "Unversed in Love" is almost never mentioned. I guess this has to do with the fact that it was their second CD and that many fans didn't start listening to D/V until the Monosex/Void era, and also, perhaps because the production quaility was not yet as flawless as it has been since Void.

However, I suspect that many of the fans like me who discovered the band around 1994 after their first CD "World without End" find those early albums and style to be the best, although I also love their most recent albums like Two and 6FU; Void was a great album but still, it is my least favorite.

But getting back to Unversed, if you haven't listented to it or have but didn't enjoy it the first time, I reccomend going back and listening to it again with a good pair of headphones and paying special attention to the lyrics. Pure synthpop joy!

I also reccomend doing the same with World without End and Fairyland. Those too seem to have been ignored a bit. And give Subkutan a chance; it may not be their best but it is definitely a high quality album.

Rgds,
    benamex

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by benamex
    It is always very interesting to me whenever there is a De/Vision discussion and people talk about their favorite albums that "Unversed in Love" ..... perhaps because the production quaility was not yet as flawless as it has been since Void.
    I would have to diagree with you on this one. Universed in Love had a big hand by Alex Henninger whom used to produce music for Camouflage.

Songs like "Free from Cares ", "Dress Me When I Bleed", "Love Me Again", and "Moments We Shared" are some of De/Visions best .
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

what's really interesting about d/v is that when they do live shows, certain songs really pop out at you in ways they never did before (certainly due to the live drums/guitar):

- i'm not enough (i must have heard this 50+ times since they always soundchecked it at least twice, and yet never got tired)
    - addict
    - my own worst enemy
    - new drug
    - obey your heart

at the risk of offending some DM-fans, i would say that they are certainly more listenable 15 years into their career than DM was/is ;>

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by diffusion

at the risk of offending some DM-fans, i would say that they are certainly more listenable 15 years into their career than DM was/is ;>
    15 years into DM's career was SOFAD - a fantatic album.
    De/Vision is no longer on my list....thanks to their crapy new album.....that I heard twice and never touched again.
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

LOL look at Shervin get offended

BWAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

de/vision > depeche mode

Agree? Yes No

Two of my all-time favorite De/Vision songs are on Unversed in Love: At Night and Soul-Keeper, but I hardly hear people talk about these songs. Because they weren't singles, is that why they aren't mentioned, or are they really not that great of songs? These two songs actually have a little more drive and beat than the ballad-esque songs (well, Free From Cares really isn't a ballad) that Shervin mentioned in his thread. It's not that I only like songs that have beat. I love songs that are slower and more melodic, but so many people say, "I like anything with a beat." So, I'm just surprised that At Night and Soul-Keeper aren't mentioned as some of De/Vision's best, and I think that the choruses in these songs are quite catchy and melodic.

I think that one reason why I like their later albums better than their earlier ones is due to the maturity of Steffen's voice. There's a big difference between his voice on Boy On The Street to I'm Not Enough. Steffen even has a little lisp (lucky lisp wasn't wasted on you) in the earlier recordings. He seems much more confident and sure of his voice now than in the earlier days.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by joel_sgx

de/vision > depeche mode

even thought I think DM has lost it....even DM's crapy albums still beat out De/Vision....except Exciter....now nothing can be worse than Exciter
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by I`m Not The One
    "My mother taught me. I used the whole chicken." I'd love to know from what movie that line comes...
    I believe this quote if from Pauly Shore in his movie Son-in-Law (I believe, since I didn't go watch the movie again to verify it). It is at the end of "Give In" and always makes me cringe when I hear it. Pauly Shore makes me cringe not De/Vision's music.

What's kind of funny (and have seen referred to a couple of times in this thread) is that some say "I liked this many songs on this release" and "this many songs on this release" and I can identify with that. Some songs really grab me and I'll listen to them much more than others on the same CD. This goes for De/Vision or DM or any other band I like. It is rare I will not enjoy a song enough to say I hate it, I just don't enjoy it. It doesn't mean they suck for everyone, just that they don't do it for me in that moment. I haven't noticed a decline in the percentage of songs per release by De/Vision that I have not enjoyed.

I love to listen to music that moves me :-)

Paul

Thread Information