Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mesh vs. De/Vision

Agree? Yes No

wow!
    the link you provide basically supports Kirlian's opinion (as well as my opinion)

>>In the end of the 1970s there appeared many artists, especially in England, who used synthesizer as their main instrument. For example Gary Numan, Ultravox, OMD and Human League. These artists were very much inspired by Kraftwerk.
    In the beginning of the 1980s Depeche Mode was formed. They played a happy and naive sort of synthpop, like their hit single "Just Can't Get Enough" in 1981, until Vince Clarke left the band to form Yazoo (called Yaz in North America) and later Erasure. Depeche Mode's music then became more melancholic and dark.
    Other English bands that started to release records around 1981 were Duran Duran, Eurythmics, Tears For Fears and Thompson Twins. These bands played some sort of synthpop, but they also used other instruments. From Canada came Rational Youth and from Sweden came Adolphson-Falk.
    In 1984 there came synthpop artists like Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw and the German band Alphaville.
    Other examples of synthpop bands from the 1980s are A-ha, Bronski Beat, New Order, Soft Cell, Visage and Yello.<<
    www.souvenirrecords.com

Agree? Yes No

I think everyone is missing the point, that KRAFTWERK started with AUTOBAHN in 1974 playing exclusivly with synthesizers. While at the END of the 1970's, artists such as Numan etc..[with the exception of HUMAN LEAGUE/OMD] STARTED to use the synthesizer as their main instrument, meaning they were basically rock/punk bands before that. After all, it clearly states that they were INSPIRED by KRAFTWERK.

Further proof that they didn't START as synthpop: "Numan started his musical career in 1977 as a PUNKROCKER in the band MEANSTREET. Later, [1978] he and Paul Gardiner formed their own PUNK band, TUBEWAY ARMY. Whilst recording for Beggars Banquet, Numan STUMBLED upon a MINI MOOG that had been left behind in the studio." So, according to that, he wasn't even inspired by KRAFTWERK!
    EricDraven
    \"Victims, aren\'t we all\"

Agree? Yes No

sorry, but your arguement is weak.

it comes across like you're trying to say that a "synthpop" band has to have been inspired by Kraftwerk.

who gives a sh.it if gary numan was punk rock first and STUMBLED upon a minimoog. kraftwerk weren't born out of a womb of a minimoog either! the first Kraftwerk albums (pre-Autobahn) weren't synthpop either.

you keep referring to Kraftwerk but not Wendy Carlos or Perrey & Kingsley, both predate Kraftwerk's electro days.

you opinion about the definition of synthpop vs. new-wave has turned into INSPIRED by.

LOL!
    www.souvenirrecords.com

Agree? Yes No

Excuse me, weak? How so, I've yet to see you present any facts, and what I've presented for your perusal ARE facts, not opinions. And where exactly does Wendy[Walter] Carlos fit into the synthpop genre? You're talkig about a completely different genre of electronic music. And, I care that Numan was a punkrocker before he STUMBLED accross a synth, because people wrongly credit him as a "pioneer" of synthpop, and he wasn't, it was new wave, which is completely different from synthpop. LOL!
    EricDraven

Agree? Yes No

okay, let's agree to disagree.
    www.souvenirrecords.com

Agree? Yes No

Fine, I hope there are no hard feelings as we can agree on one thing, we are fans of electronic music no matter what it's labeled.
    EricDraven

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by EricDraven
    I think everyone is missing the point, that KRAFTWERK started with AUTOBAHN in 1974 playing exclusivly with synthesizers. While at the END of the 1970's, artists such as Numan etc..[with the exception of HUMAN LEAGUE/OMD] STARTED to use the synthesizer as their main instrument, meaning they were basically rock/punk bands before that. After all, it clearly states that they were INSPIRED by KRAFTWERK.

Further proof that they didn't START as synthpop: "Numan started his musical career in 1977 as a PUNKROCKER in the band MEANSTREET. Later, [1978] he and Paul Gardiner formed their own PUNK band, TUBEWAY ARMY. Whilst recording for Beggars Banquet, Numan STUMBLED upon a MINI MOOG that had been left behind in the studio." So, according to that, he wasn't even inspired by KRAFTWERK!

lol whats a minimoog got do with Kraftwerk? Numan was inspired hy Ultravox!. You don't know your musical history and make many outlandish claims. Come on post more and make a bigger idiot of yourself.
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

finally we see some action on this board
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by EricDraven
    Excuse me, weak? How so, I've yet to see you present any facts, and what I've presented for your perusal ARE facts, not opinions. And where exactly does Wendy[Walter] Carlos fit into the synthpop genre? You're talkig about a completely different genre of electronic music. And, I care that Numan was a punkrocker before he STUMBLED accross a synth, because people wrongly credit him as a "pioneer" of synthpop, and he wasn't, it was new wave, which is completely different from synthpop. LOL!
    Kraftwerk were krautrock (more guitar based) on there first few EP releases. There were lots of other experimental acts of that period but not till 1979 did the synth become popular. Hence the term synthpop.

Considering the boom started here in Britain and the term New Wave here di dnot mean punk like it did in america I think you have your wires crossed. I know a lot of the people who were the DJ's back then I met a lot of the stars back then as well theyb al quote Numan and Ultravox and HL as first synthpop bands.
    this is the new s**t

Agree? Yes No

synthpop began in 1978......as per Daniel Miller's own band

Mute Records is a record label formed in 1978 by Daniel Miller primarily to release his own single, "T.V.O.D."/"Warm Leatherette", under the moniker The Normal.

Mute Records made a name for itself as the label that was willing to sign post-punk artists like Fad Gadget (Frank Tovey's pseudonym), Einstürzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle, and Cabaret Voltaire. Once electronic music hit the British charts from 1981 onwards, Mute signed artists like Depeche Mode, Nitzer Ebb, and Erasure that utilised new technology which would eventually redefine the sound of the dancefloor in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Mute redefined itself again to encompass alternative rock with bands such as Sonic Youth on their Blast First imprint. The label also in 1992 launched a subsidiary called Novamute Records, mainly as a distribution channel for experimental electronic music.

Mute Records was famous for being the home of Depeche Mode and Erasure despite the lack of what is normally considered a contract. Moby, Nick Cave and Laibach are also Mute mainstays.

Mute Records was the first British record label to have an internet presence, entitled Mute Liberation Technologies. This started out as a dial-up BBS, then becoming a Telnet site and finally a website. They continued to be run in tandem for a number of years until all were finally shut down, with the exception of the website.

On May 10, 2002, EMI acquired Mute Records, extending an existing licensing relationship that Mute had with EMI’s Virgin Records for over 15 years. Daniel Miller, Executive Chairman, is responsible for all of the company’s global activities.
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

this is silly.

who decided that Daniel Miller created synthpop??

LOL!

nikkkah please!!!

how about The Future (pre-Human League) ...

let's not forget "Popcorn" by Hot Butter from 1973 (?) a Moog heavy synthpop instrumental that is considered the first of it's kind.

Daniel Miller was doing it with Silicon Teens and The Normal yes. but let's not forget the other's from the same time period
    www.souvenirrecords.com

Agree? Yes No

Sorry Kirlian, I never make outlandish claims, but have stated FACTS. That KRAFTWERK were the first in 1974 to release an all synthezised album/top 40 single, AUTOBAHN. Oh sure, Gary Numan released "Are Friends Electric?", but in 1979, 5 years later. And if you want to get technical, it was actually the single "Popcorn" by Hot Butter that beat everyone in 1972!
    EricDraven

Agree? Yes No

yes...take that Kirlian :P
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

October 28th, 2006: mp3 for free!
    We have a little special to offer you: Everyone signing up to the DE/VISION newsletter on www.devision-music.de until November 23rd, 2006 will receive by e-mail a remix as 128kb mp3 NOT contained on the album on November 24th, 2006! It will be the "What Goes Up Must Come Down Mix" by Soni Code of out song "Still Unknown", very nice thing and as said available nowhere else. By the way, Sonic Code has remixed several tracks of the "Best Of"'s bonus disc, just check out his page www.myspace.com/sonicode.
    Attention: You will receive an e-mail and you have to confirm, that you want to receive the DE/VISION newsletter - only then we can mail you the mp3!
    All already registered newsletter recipient of course will receive the mp3 aswell.

October 25th, 2006: The 2nd track
    Star-Crossed Lovers (In A Black Hole Mix)
    remixed by: Projekt ROTOSKOP (Rotoskop MySpace)

October 17th, 2006: A little message & the 1st track
    Well, the DE/VISION MySpace is online for about a year now and we'd like to thank you all around the world for being "friends" in general and for all the positive response during this time. As a little gift we will present you a few new remixes from the upcoming "Best Of" album. W We will start today with the totally new and so previously unreleased track "Love Will Find A Way" (you might have heard it already in the clubs!)

Greetings from Steffen, Thomas and the whole DE/VISION info team

Source: www.myspace.com/devisionmusic

Agree? Yes No

Ah..back on topic.

Anyone seen the new De/Vision video? It's so cute with the robot!
    It doesn't look like it was filmed in Berlin though.

Can't wait to get my hands on the Best Of vinyl..

Tara

Agree? Yes No

it is really very hard to answer a question like this...I would probably prefer De/vision rather than Mesh , but still i am not quite sure!!

Both bands have great music, though my opinion is that music of DeVision is most melodic...

http://www.myspace.com/vammpitrella

http://www.myspace.com/bottlenecks

Agree? Yes No

Anyone seen the new De/Vision video? It's so cute with the robot!
    For what song? Is it on YouTube?
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Agree? Yes No

The new song is "Love Will Find a Way" off their Best of that is coming out soon.

You can read about it and watch it here:

http://myspace.com/devisionmusic

Tara

Agree? Yes No

I'm sorry but id be embarrased to say I liked Devision becuase that music sounds like brit boy band pop aimed at 11 year old girls..That music sounds fine on kids tv shows or gay clubs which play that bland lovesong pop but my generation just find it dreadfullly embarassing..
    this is the new s**t

Agree? Yes No

What a load of rubbish...

Thread Information