Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *sigh* f' off south dakota

Agree? Yes No

Way too many babies abused or killed because momma wasn't ready to deal with the pressures of parenthood. Maybe if we educated them more on the how, why, and what of it all, it wouldn't be such a tremendous issue.
    I know, and that really pisses me off. It's like why have one if you have no clue what to do once they are born?

I also fear what is next. It seems like we are regressing back to a very 50's state of mind. Color me biased, but as a gay man, I see, on a daily basis, people's attitude toward homosexuality taking a turn for the worse. I'm not trying to open up another can of worms, or divert the subject, I'm just voicing my fears on how conservative minded things are becoming.
    I can empathise with you on this one - just take a look at my myspace profile, most of my friends who i hang out with are all gay and I see and hear about it all the time. Its a shame that Gay and Lesbian unions are shunned, I know some gay couples who would make better parents then half the straight couples breeding out there now. Yet, that is also "morally wrong" to Congres... We live in a whole different world, when are the decision makers of this country going to finally wake up and realize whats really going on?

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by rustcwc
    [b]
    I also fear what is next. It seems like we are regressing back to a very 50's state of mind. Color me biased, but as a gay man, I see, on a daily basis, people's attitude toward homosexuality taking a turn for the worse. I'm not trying to open up another can of worms, or divert the subject, I'm just voicing my fears on how conservative minded things are becoming.
    >
    I Couldn't agree with you more on that subject. I've seen my fair share of homophobia. And, it seems to be getting worse and worse. It's a shame too, being a lesbian myself, i've had to go through a good chunk of crap form the locals (even though i am not outspoken about the fact). Every day, even though I live in one of the more liberal areas of the country (SoCal), i still hear hate and slander, and yet I still have to remain quiet in discontent. My family especially has a servere case of homophobia. Southern Baptists, need i say more?

With a mainly republican congress, as well as an unevenly conservative judiciary branch, things do not seem to be getting better in the least. With more and more statures passed, and more states making gay marriage illegal, more people are picking up the state of mind that being gay is not okay. Why? They see it around them, preached every day by the media, and most of all, the leaders of this nation.

In the 90's and early 2000's, this nation saw a zenith of civil rights, however in the past 4-5 years, we've regressed about 20 years. Something has got to stop!
    When a artist paints, they dip their brush in their soul, and with that they can paint life with all its vivid colors and aspects.

Agree? Yes No

I'm straight but empathize 100% with gays and lesbians. Who someone has a romantic/sexual relationship with is a part of their personal life and isn't my business at all (unless they're hitting on me and I'm not interested ). I fail to understand the viewpoint that this aspect of one's personal life is somehow ruining society in general and must therefore be treated as a great hazard to everybody else along with bilking around 10% of the population (or more) out of rights the rest of us take for granted, not to mention the outright hatred that gays must deal with on a regular basis. As for preserving the "sanctity of marriage", is there really anything to protect? We have people who get legally married for a matter of hours before calling it off, people who have no idea what they're getting into before they get hitched, a TV show in which two folks got married most likely as a publicity stunt, and of course history is full of instances in which people were married for political or financial reasons. Some "institution".

I'm not knocking marriage, btw. It just ticks me off that some of us aren't entitled to it who might do better at it than some of the straight couples I see out there.
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

Homophobiaphobic. I'm afraid of people that are afraid of gayness... in this day and age? geesh. The world I live in accepts homosexuality without batting an eye... it just does.

The class I just took for church had a 45 year old lesbian in a domestic coupling raising a 1 year old and 3 year old who will be going to sunday school with my kids. We don't talk about her gayness or even the fact that it was probably a BITCH for her to get kids into her life. We talk about our kids and how the church is going to teach them values.

I know I say it but I prefer my life. I know it's more profitable to be a fag-beating republican bigot with an MBA but shit, I'd be missing out on the good stuff.

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

Thankfuly, I'm pretty proud to say, I don't think homophobia is making a come back in the UK, at least not form what I see.
    We've even had a couple of gay polititian 'scandles' recently and, to be honest, these days it's news for one day, then no one really cares. Even some of the tabloids have started reporing it in a matter-of-fact way rather than a 'shocking' way.
    Of course there is some homophobia, but I think it is frowned on enough by society not to be able to rear it's ugly head so much.
    Crash

Agree? Yes No

If we're talking about gay marriage ... here's my views:

I'm a somewhat religious person myself, and I know that a lot of conservative Christians will argue that they believe that being gay is an abomination in the eyes of God. I personally think there's a lot worse things in the world, form God's view, than being gay. Flying planes into buildings or blowing up abortion clinics in God's name might be two of them.

You know, it's funny, a lot of conservative Christians bemoan the fact that the institution of marriage is not taken seriously anymore. They complain about how people choose to live together in sin rather than get married ... while on the other hand, you have gay and lesbian people, who WANT to make that commitment and solemnize their union before God, to partake of the marriage covenant, and to have their partnership legally recognized, and they're not being allowed to!

Also, some conservative Christians warn that gay marriage is a threat to the institution of marriage itself ... well, have you looked at the divorce rates lately? Seems the inisitution of marriage these days is in a lot of strife anyway, and it's had nothing to do with gay marriage. Or maybe some of these people are merely afraid that gay couples just might make a better go at marriage than heterosexual couples have ... and might show them up.

Regarding Tennessee and abortion: There is a measure in the Tennessee legislature which intends to state that abortion is not a guaranteed protection under the Tennessee state constitution. And it could indeed pass. Seems my state is also trying to pass a gay marriage ban as well. You know, if lawmakers spent as much time dealing with social problems like homelessness and poverty, as they did trying to invade people's bedrooms and uteruses, our society would be in a lot better shape!

Anyway, enough ranting about this for me. I could go on all day.

Agree? Yes No

Wow there has been a lot discussed in here already...Where to weigh in first???

Abortion- Pro choice all the way...I watched my mother go through a grueling divorce and raise three children on her own (one a toddler, and one only 6 months old)...My brothers and I had a really rough upbringing, but we got through it...Not everyone is so fortunate, and let's face it, the times have changed and it's even harder to raise a child now...

The situation in which women are raped hits home for me...I have a very good friend who was raped one day while she was walking home from school...The rapist was a homeless man who not only took her virginity (she was a devout Catholic), but also gave her an unwanted child and an STD to boot...I don't blame her or her family for not wanting that child, and to even think that there are people out there saying a rapist has a right to their children is complete bulls**t!!! Because afterall, the woman who was screaming no while the felonious act was taking place surely didn't have her rights taken into consideration...

Bearing Children In General- I can honestly say that I know for a fact that I want to be a father someday...Now does this mean that my wife and I are ready to become parents now??? Hell no we aren't, and you better believe we're making sure that it won't happen until we're good and ready...There are so many children in this world being raised by abusive and economically challenged families...Our school systems are overflooded with an overwhelming student to teacher ratio that is constantly growing, and the huge SUV's that our beloved soccer moms haul their crotch droppings around in are destroying our earth and clogging up streets and highways...

On the death penalty- If you kill someone you deserve to be killed back...Now I know that there is a lot of corruption within our judicial systems and police forces around the U.S., but bear in mind I'm not talking about executing the man or woman who "may" have (and just barely with lingering questionable evidence) aided in ending someone
    s life...I'm referring to people like The Night Stalker, Jeffrey Dahmer, Timothy Macvey, or Ted Bundy...If you are some sort of sick twisted terrorist or serial killer, you deserve to have your ass handed to you plain and simple...

On Reprimanding children- When I was in elementary school our teachers would send us to the principals' office to get paddled when we got out of line in class...If my brothers or I acted like morons in the store and didn't mind my mother, we got spanked right there in the store for everyone to see...I don't believe in beating your children, but I have to admit that myself and my brothers grew up to respect our elders, mind our parents, obey the law, obey common rules, acted properly in public, and were taught to treat people with courtesy and respect...And we got spanked pretty often while growing up too...Yet we know better now...Gee I wonder why...The problem I see facing our kids today is that parents are too afraid of having their children call protective services on them...And I have to give a big midde finger to our government for encouraging parents to adopt the "put Jimmy on a time out in the corner measure"...Steve Harvey said it best..."You want to see a brighter tomorrow, a world where people can actually behave them damn selves? Parents please for the love of Jesus beat the s***t out of your kids." And this rings true for just about everyone my age or older...We got the belt, we got our great grandma Chuy's sandal thrown at us, or anything else our parents and grandparents could find to dicipline us with...

Religion- You do your thing, I'll do mine...I respect you adn your thoughts and beliefs, and I would hope you can try and do the same...If being a part of something makes you a better person or makes you smile and gets you through your day then thats fine by me...However, the minute you try and tell me that my way of life is wrong, has me on a one way ticket to hell, or makes you want to blow up my house because I don't pray how you pray, then we've got a problem...

My two cents on everything more or less...Sorry for making you read through all of it, but thank you for taking the time to hear me out

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

"I'm sorry but honestly, we have way too many people in this world."

And that, among many other reasons, is why my tubes are tied. It's my Giant Middle Finger to conservative right-wing Christians.

Agree? Yes No

*high fives Fritter*

Agree? Yes No

I dont want to add any unwanted kids to this planet. If I do have a kid or kids id be there for them 24/7. Anyway theres no Mrs Blue on the Horizon .. She has not appeared yet...
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

I don't think this world can handle any more KBs!

Agree? Yes No

It can barely handle the one.
    ------------------------------
    www.myspace.com/noirtech
    ------------------------------

Agree? Yes No

Are we trying to get on Kirlian now?

I have to respectfully disagree with Dan about reprimanding your kids. It's one thing to give them a swat in private if they're outright misbehaving, but as someone who grew up in a home with emotionally distant parents who would whack us with whatever if they were upset with us, I think that hitting someone smaller than you just proves that you can hit someone who's smaller than you because they can't fight you back fairly. As for slapping your children around in public, that's just wrong...not only because of the aforementioned reason, but because someone shouldn't have to be humiliated like that just because they talked back to you or didn't run to do like they were told as soon as they were asked to. Don't get me wrong, I don't think kids should be allowed to run wild and I've seen my share of absolute brats who had parents that either totally ignored it altogether or were too afraid/unwilling to use any form of discipline at all. That's just as unacceptable as beating on your kids. Don't want to go into further details here because that would entail bringing out my dirty laundry from my earlier years, which the board doesn't need to hear.
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

Agree? Yes No

I agree with Labrat on the repremanding kids thing, it looks like we might have had similer parents. And there's is all these crappy 'nanny' reality TV shows right now that at least teach us that there are effective ways to teach and discipline kids without the hand or the slipper!
    Crash

Agree? Yes No

Hmmm...

Lots of solid viewpoints.

Mine doesn't really differ politically..

-I believe we need to take better care of the planet.

-I think we don't think, culturally, about what having children means.

I have confidence, as the father of 3, that I do know what it means.

My wife and I are far from wealthy, but we have the resources to keep them warm. We have a support system in place to back that up. We live in a community that is urban and filled with multi-cultural families and as a bonus: a school system that kicks major ass.

Having children has nothing to do with our religion or, for that matter, keeping up with Jones'. This is our lifestyle.

As far as assigning numbers to it. Yes, 3 is what I consider a high number. Hell -- it's a high number in my wife's eyes too... and after 6 days of having 3 kids... trust me ---> I can't see how we could do 4... ever... 3 is going to be a real challenge... 2 is a good number...

We chose 3 because we both grew up in a family of 3 and my wife's soul told her so ... so we, as a couple, chose that.

God didn't tell us.

My parents didn't ask us... neither did hers.

Not to break my arms patting us on the back but the point I'm trying to make is that you make decisions in life... some of them are really fucking important... especially when that decision is a decision made within a couple.

The decision of whether or not to bring newbies onto this fucked up planet? --> HUGE... do it right or don't do it.

Dave

Agree? Yes No

Dave...CONGRATS!!! Love the pic; definitely worth a million words!

Six days to have three kids? I'm assuming most of that was for the twins, but that's still pretty rough. Hope your wife is doing all right, and best wishes to you both!

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by labrat
    Dave...CONGRATS!!! Love the pic; definitely worth a million words!

Six days to have three kids? I'm assuming most of that was for the twins, but that's still pretty rough. Hope your wife is doing all right, and best wishes to you both!
    actually, I'm pretty sure I miscommunicated...

the twins are 2 1/2 years old now

What I meant by 6 days is that our son, Aaron, is 6 days old. (My wife just gave birth a week ago today)

Thank you... it's all good, my wife is recovering from the surgery (c-section)... sleep is an overrated activity

Dave

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank
    Good book!
    Honestly, what year is it? With all our technology can't we find a more humane way to appease the Christians? I'm sure everyone will be so glad when their daughters and sisters die from dirty back alley abortions. Everyone makes it so taboo and thier personal business for a woman to want to choose whiether she wants to have a baby. *rolls eyes*
    Things is, abortion is only illegal if you can't afford travelling to a place where it is legal. Basically any rich republican daddy's girl who gets pregnant, will be able to afford going to a clinic somewhere where the laws her mom and dad approved won't get in the way of her personal life.
    I can use the example of Portugal where abortion is fairly restricted when compared with Spain. Abortion clinics are the new business for border towns between the two countries...

Have money? Will abort!

So in the end, the only ones who can't have an abortion are exactly the ones who often need it the most: the poor - who can't afford to feed yet another mouth and are too uneducated to know what counterception is.

On the other hand, it's true that the world population is growing but it's hardly at the expense of educated people in the industrialized countries where the whole abortion debate is happening...
    This world is all upside down.

Agree? Yes No

Very true Paradoxxx, sadly, so very true.
    Crash

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by ElectroSwank
    *high fives Fritter*
    I second that...That takes some guts to be able to offer up your personal choice for everyone to read...

I guess I should also clarify what I was getting at with the whole reprimanding the children thing...While I grew up in a household where the elders did hit you with whatever they could find, I wasn't beaten by any means...I also don't condone beating your kids in any way, and the whole Steve Harvey quote was meant to be a sort of comical spin on my views...Afterall, the guy is a comedian himself and says things like this to get a laugh at his own childhood experiences...Yes I got hit in the store when I was younger...Would I do that now??? No, because I can honestly say that my kids are going to be more afriad of what luxeries I'm going to take away from their bedrooms and lock away from them while they sit in there for hours on end and reconsider their choice in behavior...

I do feel children should be diciplined though, and that it is okay to give them a swat on their behinds or smack their hands to get your point across...

Oh and as for gay marriage...My sister is gay and married...Legally married ceremony and all, and I have to admit that it was one of the most beautiful unions I've ever seen...My sister and her wife are both very caring, very loving people, and they are devoted to each other just as much as any heterosexual couple...No one should have the right to say who anyone can and can't agree to commit themselves to...

Oh and here's a bit of a mindf**k for you...Both my sister and her wife are not only practicing Christians, but they are both devout Republican supporter of our "super duper way cool, best president ever"!!!

Now can you dig that???

DAN
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Thread Information