Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: What happened?

Agree? Yes No

Arrow What happened?

DNB really seems to have fallen into decay over the last three to four years. The only artists left in this genre I follow are:

Teebee
    Black Sun Empire
    Future Prophecies
    Photek
    Decoder
    Tech Itch

Perhaps someone can recommend some newer acts that don't sound like knock offs of the above.

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: What happened?

Originally posted by verhaeghen
    DNB really seems to have fallen into decay over the last three to four years. The only artists left in this genre I follow are:

Teebee
    Black Sun Empire
    Future Prophecies
    Photek
    Decoder
    Tech Itch

Perhaps someone can recommend some newer acts that don't sound like knock offs of the above.
    Well, if you haven't kept up, people have been moving into Progressive House, Elektrotech and ElectroBreaks. All the famous Trance producers (except the name brand Anthem Trance producers who are still milking the money from people who missed out on the late 90s trend), are all moving toward to more Progressive stuff now. Most people are slowing the down the beats to 115 to 145 BPM. I know Sasha and Digweed are too huge for their own good, but they always have been the cutting edge of the dance culture. Some how, they dictate the movement. If you are confused what direction, Dance Electronica is moving, just listen to their DJ sets.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

Interesting. I do indeed love what could be termed 'tech house' or whatnot. Electro still seems to be putting out some nice work. If only uNN would do a new album.

www.sender-records.de
    www.mikrolux.com

Agree? Yes No

Digweed is now offering a free podcast on Itune. He is already on the 4 ep. I suggest you download them, if you have ITUNE or other podcast programs. The sounds and recording styles are still have that ambient floating texture of Trance sounds from the mid 90s, but now famous djs sets are genres blending producers who genre blend ideas. ElektroBreaks is just another name for NuBreaks or Breaks with modern Trance (non Anthem - fuck Tiesto) production. The Drum and Bass is really dead on most areas except America where it takes million years to kill an idea.
    Most average people can't tell the difference between ElektroBreaks, Breaks, Progressive House, and Trance. It seems like only DJs, producers, and real fans know about these types of music.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

Agree? Yes No

I do not have any podcast programs but will look into these sets you speak of. Yeah, the genreisms get a bit tired but then, these are record labels we're dealing with here.

Agree? Yes No

Go to a site like Drum & Bass Arena, probably the net's biggest D&B site. You'll see that D&B is not, in any way, dead!
    In fact, the only reason you might have to think D&B was dead in the UK is a lack of clubs, this is because of tabloid publicised incidents in D&B clubs scaring off promoters. This is fading away though. And the music never slowed down!
    Crash

Agree? Yes No

Unfortunately, I live in the states, where DNB is emulated in all the wrong ways. Will check out the site, tho. Thanks.

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Crash
    Go to a site like Drum & Bass Arena, probably the net's biggest D&B site. You'll see that D&B is not, in any way, dead!
    In fact, the only reason you might have to think D&B was dead in the UK is a lack of clubs, this is because of tabloid publicised incidents in D&B clubs scaring off promoters. This is fading away though. And the music never slowed down!
    Like I said before nothing ever dies all the way. Based on how big DnB was a decade ago and based on the popularity now, it is a drastic change. You know this is the biggest Synthpop site, right? There is no sin for maintaining what each individuals want. I am indicating based on the less exposures and discussions by the public and media. Nothing ever maintains in the peak level for a long time. People get bored. People expect changes and many artists want to try different ideas to represent themselves. It is a typical behavior in the underground and pop cultures.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

what about Pendulum?

i quite enjoyed their latest album.

Agree? Yes No

Default Re: Re: What happened?

Originally posted by pop

Most people are slowing the down the beats to 115 to 145 BPM.
    145 BPM is lightening fast. Most trance comes in at 130 to 138.. 140 tops.. and most house is 118 to 130, 135 tops.. only EBM and remixed synthpop gets into the 140+ BPM. I hardly ever go higher than 145. If I get a mix faster than that I won't play it, and generally like to stay around 130 to 135.

I like prog. house and electro-house type stuff, especially if it's kinda gotta a funky beat. I go to DNB night here and it's packed, but can't say I get into it aside from that. It's fun for a couple hours a month. It still seems pretty popular to me, but for sure I hear the DJ's are playing the same tracks for years now. Seems DNB is kinda akin to goth/synthpop/industrial culture that way.

Thread Information