Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
ELECTROGARDEN.COM | CHAT | Who: []
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Record Deals what did you get?

Agree? Yes No

I dont think that is anything wrong or crap with what the smaller labels do : I like the records they produce (cant wait for garland cult !).

A cash positive business model to supply a niche market is just as viable as a rotating debt-based speculative volume business.

But you would expect different contracts for paricipation in both models, and as you point out dave, rights transfers and advances dont always make sense in a limited volume market, for the artists or the labels.

I think that with any small business, its the relationship that exists outside the details of the contract that is important.
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

I HATE to over simplify. And maybe I'm doing just that and should shut the F up but...

My issue with all of this is that it's a whole shitload of infrastructure for no usable profit.

I can't see any justification to do anything but a purely independant release unless you are talking about a deal that will EMPLOY you as a musician for atleast 18 months.

Until then... there's these things... they're called loans... get one or 5 if you have that kind of faith in the product you're producing... if you don't... then make CDR copies for nearly free and distribute your stuff as MP3s.

Dave

Dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

I know signed bands who are on mid-size labels and they still take out of loans to survive. The key to success are airplay (all kind of media including internet) and distribution. Some times, pure word of mouth and recommendation work, but things move too fast on the net now. The slow pace just doesn’t get the buzz going. Most average people don't work hard to get the musical goods. You have to make it easy for them to access. Even looking at this small demographic in this site, most people here only collect very small selections based on their favorite discussions. You have to sell a lot of CDs to fund 2 to 4 people in your band. I know too many treasure fund kids in this business who claim they are doing it, but if you throw some numbers to them, they are clueless. That only tells me their numbers are inaccurate or daddy is paying their bills.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by pop
    You have to sell a lot of CDs to fund 2 to 4 people in your band. I know too many treasure fund kids in this business who claim they are doing it, but if you throw some numbers to them, they are clueless. That only tells me their numbers are inaccurate or daddy is paying their bills.
    Well, maybe that's so... and if a person is independantly wealthy (mommy & daddy or not) I still don't see how a small label deal is an attractive option. Use that money to pay a really good booking agent. Use it to cover gaps when touring so you aren't on tour going from one potentially unpaid gig to another waiting for the fucked up booking that's going to send you home.

iand from what I've read --- keep it handy, you never know when you may need to bail someone out of jail

dave
    If you\'re reading this, you have a tiny penis.

Agree? Yes No

A small label is an attractive option for a number of reasons :

1) They will probably not let you realease substandard material.

2) They will certainly have access to some market you dont, otherwise they wouldnt be trading.

3) They might be able to give you oppertunies and liscencing deals you could get on your own.
    4) They will help with the paperwork and accounting around any release.

5) They are able to do promotion on your behalf.

6) A lot of people are return customers to small record companies. I know people who generally like everything ADD put out, because they have silimar tastes to todd, and trust he has an eye on quality control. I generally tend to like stuff Ninthwave puts out, because I have similar tastes to dave, and again, I know someone is looking after the quality control. Ive bought loads of stuff from ninthwave without even hearing it.

Just some of the reasons off the top of my head.

Eight to Infinity were going to self release our album after things went pear shaped at KMA, But section 44 are really on the case, and doing a great job for us on all of the above critera and more, and its a far better roadmap for us to be on than to be independant.
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by arronc
    A small label is an attractive option for a number of reasons :

1) They will probably not let you realease substandard material.
    2) They will certainly have access to some market you dont, otherwise they wouldnt be trading.
    3) They might be able to give you oppertunies and liscencing deals you could get on your own.
    4) They will help with the paperwork and accounting around any release.
    5) They are able to do promotion on your behalf.
    6) A lot of people are return customers to small record companies. I know people who generally like everything ADD put out, because they have silimar tastes to todd, and trust he has an eye on quality control. I generally tend to like stuff Ninthwave puts out, because I have similar tastes to dave, and again, I know someone is looking after the quality control. Ive bought loads of stuff from ninthwave without even hearing it.
    7) You have more input as to what you want to get out of the deal. Small labels are great for really tailoring to the needs of an up and coming artist. You rarely get that "one-on-one" at a big label.

8) You get to really know and work with the staff; from retail / marketing / press to new media... Your questions and concerns can be addressed from the person who will be handling it - giving you even more control over your image and how you want to be presented and marketed.

Agree? Yes No

For me, what I get out of it: someone else to do the BS that I can't deal with. If I didn't have someone to deal with advertising, sending out promos, etc. I'm too easily distracted by bleepy noises in the studio.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

This is all really interesting and informative. No, I'm not being sarcastic. This helps, thanks guys and gals!

Thread Information