Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
ELECTROGARDEN.COM | CHAT | Who: []
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record Deals what did you get?

Agree? Yes No

Default Record Deals what did you get?

Im just asking what sort of deals others have got here. We have a 50/50 split with our Label and they have upfronted $4000 for recording and also giving us a 50/50 split on merchandising .Obviously this a Recording Deal ... So we get about $6 a CD. Just wondering what standard independant deals were in this day and age.
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

did you retain 100% rights, or is that 50/50 too?
    dont die...
    fen.

CTRL

Agree? Yes No

we own the rights...
    this is the new s**t

Agree? Yes No

Thats a very good deal, obviously you signed with a real record label :-)
    Ahhh, would be nice to be abel to offer that...
    -Dave

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Kirlian Blue
    we own the rights...
    Cool! Anyone who ever signs over their rights is an Idiot.

Congrats on the deal, it sounds awesome!!!

Breye 7x
    Section 44 Records
    Los Angeles Denver Houston
    http://www.section44.com

Agree? Yes No

In America CD's are well underpriced we pay on average $23-8 a Album in a shop here in Britain. ( some stores can be a lot cheaper but HMV,Virgin the two giants charge that on average) I really do think all you guys should be adding a couple of $ to the cost of your releases.

4X4 Volume 1 would of cost me 4.60 from KMA store its was 14.99 in Music Non Stop...
    this is the new s**t

Agree? Yes No

i'm guessing that $4000 is a recoupable recording advance. so if you're smart, you won't spend it all making the record, and put the rest into your pocket.... it might be a long while before you see any more cash from the label (unless you sell 1000+ units real quick)

Lead ElectroGardener Bornslippy's Avatar

Agree? Yes No

can I be your roadie KB? I'm just in for the chics and drugs and boooze..

Oh, forget that now, I'm married.. OH god what did I do l.o.l..
    \"don\'t tell me, don\'t tell me, Depeche Mode right, yeahhh I like his stuff. Keep it up.

Simon Lebon of Duran Duran

Agree? Yes No

That's a real record deal. If you actually saw some of these small labels deal, they still haven't got a penny yet. They just like to lie to everyone. You will notice, there are so many egos in this business and many people will tell you bull shits what they got. Make sure you have a lawyer reviewed the contract. There is no such as thing as the pure 50/50, these days. You probably got one of the best deal that indie labels are offereing these days.
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by diffusion
    i'm guessing that $4000 is a recoupable recording advance. so if you're smart, you won't spend it all making the record, and put the rest into your pocket.... it might be a long while before you see any more cash from the label (unless you sell 1000+ units real quick)
    We have to sell 1000 in the first week may be some on pre-order to chart. Providing Radio Stations play the track(s).And the video gets screened on the appropiate cabel channels and the magazine adverts promos and flyers e.t.c all go out we might just do it. Plus a UK Tour might help we have a following in London.. But theres other Big Citys we need to be heard in still...

The label is connected to a Metal/Black Metal label which sells a lot of records they help out with most the releases. As the label is small it dont sign many acts its us and one other on the rosta and all there intrrested in is makeing us sell.

We only got this chance as a slot appeard as the other act (a metal act) was signed to a major...our label mates are a Ska band so if you like Madness theyre just as good and better.

Anyway End of July I have to deliver a Album. And a Single... The recording money is purely going on makeing hopefully a good album..
    this is the new s**t

Agree? Yes No

Sounds like a very good deal, congratulations

Can you say the name of the label yet?

Rivetmike

Agree? Yes No

It's good to see that bands are so much more aware and know better then to sign thier lives away.

I think you got a great deal and once again, I couldn't be happier for you. I'm sure the distributor and label set a modest I/O for you?

Agree? Yes No

I will say name of label soon..its tiny thats for sure.but until they added us to there site ..thats the only thing thats bad ill put a link up..
    this is the new s**t

Agree? Yes No

My ADD record deals were always similar to that, but a bit smaller in scope, to be sure. Usually some money up front... say $1500... but the good thing about that money was that it WASN'T recoupable from record sales. It was yours to invest in studio gear or whatever. And then for sales it was a straight 80% label/20% artist split. Again, no waiting to recoup manufacturing costs, you get 20% of even the very first record sold. And then for digital downloads, it's 50%/50%. But artists get no money for CD singles. They were considered promotinal (since most were given away and not sold) and usually limited to 500 copies. (However, for digital downloads of stuff from CD singles, artists do get 50%.)

Another upside was that ADD has no say in merchandising. Artists retain 100%, so when I was doing a lot of live shows, there was some decent money to be made on T-shirts 'n' stuff. Same with all publishing rights etc. 100% remained with the artist.

In fact, all they really own is the recording of the songs as layed-out in a specific album order. That's why, when we ultimately couldn't agree on terms for a Cosmicity "best of" album, I was able to put that out on a different label. The individual songs were still mine to use as I wished.

The big catch, of course, most of you know about. ADD doesn't have a marketing machine. You get promoted to their existing customers, and at some conventions 'n' stuff, but that's pretty much where it ends. That wasn't all bad because ADD does have a decent-sized loyal crowd and it was definitely cool to tap that resource. But to me it sounds like this where the sweet part of your deal really comes in. If they've got the money and means to promote you, that's really what it's all about. I now measure record deals on what you get above and beyond what you could do for yourself, and if the company has marketing reach beyond your own (shows you couldn't book for yourself, better distribution than you could wrangle, advertising you couldn't afford to do on your own...) it's totally worth it.

As for my new record deal for my upcoming 2006 album, well, I think I'll give myself any amount of money I need for recording. Blank check. And 100% of the profits on every record sold. How 'bout them terms?! He he.

-m
    mark nicholas
    info@marknicholas.org
    http://www.marknicholas.org
    http://www.myspace.com/marknicholasmusic
    I felt like a bit of a poser using the name Cosmicity. So, now I\'m just using my name. -Me

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by cosmicity

As for my new record deal for my upcoming 2006 album, well, I think I'll give myself any amount of money I need for recording. Blank check. And 100% of the profits on every record sold. How 'bout them terms?! He he.

-m
    I take it that means you not gona be releasing on the same label.

I agree.......if the label can't promote beyond what you can do for yourself...its best to self release it, unless you really really hate putting time and effort into it.
    Shervin

Agree? Yes No

Well we had pretty much the same deal as Cosmicity on ADD and that's not a bad deal for an upcoming artist who wants to get their feet wet. I will say that we were offered another deal by an indie label out of L.A. back in 98 and we passed on it!
    Man were we stupid they offered us $25,000 up front! but of course we had a lawyer look at it and he pretty much told us you can do this but you are signing over all the rights to your music. So basically they could have dropped us before we ever released anything and used our music however they saw fit. We of course thought no way because we were so attached to our songs but looking back we should have taken the money because from my experience you very rarley get offered any $ for anything in this buisness. We released "Groove Thing" on a branch of a major label in Brazil and never saw a dime!

Take the $ and run......................
    www.myspace.com/bravenewworldmusic

Agree? Yes No

Our label took care of mastering and pressing costs, but no other advance. But then we got royalties on all sales from CD #1. Not a hugely awesome deal financially, but we get total creative control and own all our rights.

I'm realistic - nobody's gunna pay much more than that for our unmarketable stuff.
    Eric Oehler
    wonko@nulldevice.com
    www.nulldevice.com

Agree? Yes No

I signed a 4 year exclusive deal in Germany back in 1991. It was about 15% of the avarage sale price per unit and 50% of merchandise. It was common at the time in Germany that you were exclusively bound to a record company for the time the contract was active. The caveat was, if units were sold at a clearance price, the band would get nothing. We pretty much made no money at all through this thing....

Agree? Yes No

Independant contracts im my experiance are really strange things. What should be very simple agreements tend to be overcomplex, and to a large extent are very prohibitive from the artist side of things.

One thing that tells you a lot is that spilits are so high in favour of the artist. These are the kind of splits you commondly see in low volume transactions.

Although it looks good for the artist, if you look at it from the labels perspective, it dosnt give enough headroom to develop a volume business.

If you are looking at the wholesale price of a CD, and the kind of sales volumes you'd like to see to gain critical mass, you'd expect a sub 5% deal in favor of the label.

Again, with publishing, unless you can get some critical mass, publishing is very difficult, as again its a volume based business. If I thought a label could capitalise on publishing, I would for sure sign it over to them, because I know its not something I can personally capitalise on.

The amount of effort put in by the label also dosnt generally appear : you would expect to see a contract to be terminiated if a certain sales volume is not reached.

The working relationship is never really defined either : youd expect for the label to make it mandatory for the artist to perform promotional activities, gigs and PA's etc. Also the amount of promotional budget the label has to spend should be specified, and it never is.

So, I guess the point im making is that indie contracts are to an extent just a loose working relationship, and not really anything like a real business contract.

It is probably worth noting as well, that based on my knowledge of the resources available to indie labels, they could never afford to enforce the terms and conditions of their contracts, especially internationally . I suspect as well that the contracts have never been passed through a lawyer as the contracts dont have basic legal requirement in terms in imitations of liability, contract duration, or indeed specify the actions to be taken in the event of breeches, clause indemnity etc, or even specify the juristiction in which they were drafted, and which they are in force.

So in conclusion, i would say its not worth comparing different deals, because the amount of money youre going to make, and how successful depends completely on the ability of the label to generate and eploit volume business, not on the %age splits or advances.

PS : sorry about the typos, "edit" button dosent work on my mac.
    a330n

http://www.8inf.com

Agree? Yes No

Most small labels are crap :-)

Even when we mean well we often have no $ to back up our huge dreams and massive world domination plans. We end up scrimping and putting stuff out 12 months after it is ready to go.

I usually offer 50% split after pressing costs (about $1600, includes mastering). But more and more I am up for offering the straight $4 a Cd sold from Cd one and a 50/50 split of digital sales. - It just seems fair.

I don't ask for ownership of the masters- I guess if I paid an advance I would , but when someone hands you a finished album that your label had nothing to do with and you ask for ownership that's a bit odd. imho.

I have tried to do more and more marketing. It is difficult- you can waste $100 here and $500 there (on ads in zine and things) but you are better off just putting out more albums- hoping you build momentum like Todd has.

I have found the real key is distro- where does your label sell your cds? Everyone can sell them at Amazon or ADD (God bless Todd and his "I'll take five copies" policy!) but can they get you into stores or in the mall? Or can they get you into importers hands abroad so you get a fan base there?

Radio and TV are also a pain, basically impossible to break into. But there are small ways.

In the end it is a giant hasslebut fun to play the game.

Let's see how the Garland Cult roll out goes. (he says, chuckling nervously)
    -Dave

Thread Information