Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's so wrong with .......

Agree? Yes No

Default What's so wrong with .......

What's so wrong with bands sounding "dated" or using "dated sounds"? I've never understood when people say such things. Maybe they miss that sound or style of music and since no one else is making it for them they make it themselves. This happens all the time in rock but people don't slam artists for sounding like they came out of the 60's or 70's. There are bands that try to get their guitars to sound like Jimmi Hendrix or Clapton and no one cares. Why then is it if someone makes a song that sounds like classic Camouflage or Erasure they suck and need to sound more modern and use more modern sounds?
    So take my band for instance. All of the members love the classic 80's synth/industrial/pop sound of the late 80's early 90s. Our songs sound like a mixture of those styles with sometimes a modern twist. Sometimes we try to make a song that totally and completely sounds like it came from that era. What is wrong with that? We are making music we want to hear that no one else is making.
    There are many other people making music that probably feel the same way. What's so wrong with them making music they love and want to hear? I could care less if anyone else besides my bandmates and I like the music we're making. We make it for us and if others decide they like it too then great but if not we really don't give a crap.

Agree? Yes No

Let me try to answer this before it goes insane. No one is telling anyone what type of music to make. If you want to make stuff that sounds dated, fantastic. There is nothing wrong with an artist making the kind of music they want to make. Ever.

Where people have blurred the line on here and other places is when they are trying to explain why people are disappointed they aren't selling more or aren't being accepted very well. If you choose to sound dated, don't be surprised or upset if people receive your music with a poor response. Now, if you don't care how you are received, then this shouldn't matter at all.

IMO the arguments that have occurred are because the intentions of the posters were being misconstrued. By all means, write and record whatever you want to.

I love dated sounds. I could care less if everyone sounded like Kraftwerk. I just finished a song that could sit beside DM's "See You" and you would think they came out at the same time. That was my intention. I only used the PPG and Pro-52 to record it.
    I am on myspace because no one else is.:
    Scar Chemik

Agree? Yes No

i think youve answered your own question. and i agree.

i'll add...
    i do think part of the electronic arguments come in from the angle of sounds, more than style. problem is, like youve pointed out so well, other genres ape the styles/sounds of 20+ yrs ago too.
    "o well, electronic music is so different than rock, etc," theyll say. again, it's the same 12 notes, and most EBM riffs are just blues rock anyway, so...
    also, people tend to put a stigma on electronic sounds (particularly beats and synths) as being dated due to the fact that new sounds were coming around for a long time. well guess what, without mixing/eq'ing/fx there are no new sounds in a synth. hence, soft synths for the past few yrs...programmed emulators. sure, companies will put out new synths, but theres actually nothing new about them. there may be a few new bells and whistles, but the sounds are nothing you can't recreate yourself, if you actually took the time.
    now it's just down to songwriting (if indeed thats your thing...ex: MBM and NitzerEbb were never about 'proper songwriting' imo) and production. and even production is a subjective argument.

that said, the only thing i find objectionable anymore is the overall volume...that i think should stay with current standards. but in the end, is it really that difficult, and have we become that lazy, that we can't turn up the volume or adjust the eq slightly to accommodate?

bit of a ramble, sorry.

keep on, and dont let the bastards grind you down.
    dont die...
    fen.

CTRL

Agree? Yes No

I think people have been more annoyed by bands becuase of bad production rather that the sounds they we're useing. If you read a certain other thread someone I dont normally agree with makes a good point theres two many bands doing same thing,so its harder to keep quality control high. That applies to all genres of music.. Theres to much quanity not quality being released into the markets..

Like yourself I get my influences from many past popular genres UK Punk/ALt Dance/New- Wave/ Synthpop/ on Industrial/ EBM...Probaly why my bands sound is all over the place. Trying to sound fresh and new is hard and I dont sound like the latest thing.

Some people have bigger asperations than others. The bands who are doing Electropop and are signed to Majors have used a more modern dance style production over there beats and sounds. Goldfrapp/Ladytron e.t.c Then theres those who were on majors and doing it well on their own like The Faint.

Its all personal taste to us but to Big labels its profit and sales. I think on this one its all about your own taste and if in a band these days big labels expect you to have a certain level of production in what ever style you are they won't sign you, unless its a manafactured act like NSYNC of course lol
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

Nicely said, "don't let the bastards get you down!"

test

Agree? Yes No

"don't let the bastards get you down" is a great album... and they are in town playing a show soon!

Agree? Yes No

fen + scar chemik are right on the money

if you like "dated" sounds, more power to you. you should always express your art in the manner in which you please.

but, i'm sorry, "dated" usually equates to "bad-sounding". it's very hard to conjure a nostalgic/classic vibe, it's a very fine line. most people who try this end up sounding very amateur, as if they couldn't afford any newer equipment. usually, the fresh way to do it is to combine old sounds and new sounds, sort of a nod to the past while looking forward (i.e. goldfrapp/royskopp/ladytron/etc). if you're using exclusively "old" sounds, people are either a) going to think you're from the 80's, b) going to think you are stuck in the 80's, or c) can't figure out how to use new technology. the other problem is that this sort of production isn't going to impress anybody. you're not going to get rave reviews for your sound design on a stock PPG Wave or DX7. so, your songwriting, melodies, and vocals better be TOP NOTCH, since that's all you really have to impress people.

also, regarding this -- "there may be a few new bells and whistles, but the sounds are nothing you can't recreate yourself, if you actually took the time"... i obviously don't agree ;> there are many people pushing new ground in synthesis these days... witness the rise of granular synthesis, Reaktor, Absynth, high end stuff like KYMA, academic stuff like CSound, etc etc. you listen to the last BT album and tell me that's just effects?

Agree? Yes No

thought you said BT were rubbish?
    dont die...
    fen.

CTRL

Agree? Yes No

BT rubbish? the production on "emotional technology" is ASTOUNDING. when you have a team of interns quantizing your raindrops, that's when you have a bad-ass sounding disc. the songwriting unfortunately is what's lacking on that record...

btw get back to work! you think rick perry pays you to surf electrogarden? :D

Agree? Yes No

If you have found a way to differentiate your music from the greatest bands of the past who put out an insane catalog of music, more power to you. (Example: Felix, Miss Kittie, Fischerspooner) You have discovered something most people couldn't pull off. If you sound like the past, you will be compared to the kick ass bands of the past. If you can beat them, please take that approach, but it will be hard. I still haven't found the next Jimi Hendrix.

added: I would love to add. Rock music is different than Electronica. Why? Rock musicians don't use modern technology besides the mixing technology. They have to spend years learning how to play real instruments. Learning how to use a sequencer is a basic step. Learning how to use your studio isn't. Electronica is all about the technology. Some people can pull off making IBM XT look cool to use. Most people can't. If you can, do it. If you are a powerful human being, who can push your perceptions to others, you got something most of us can't do. I seen bands who make wearing a pink dress look cool. I seen bands with Blue Oyster style leather jacket outfits and I have to ROFL. Most people are too weak to do it. It all depends on who you are..
    www.myspace.com/pswk
    www.popstarwhokills.com (ElectroRock)
    www.myspace.com/youngjoon (Breaks)
    www.myspace.com/grep (IDM)
    www.myspace.com/requiemnoise (Industrial)

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

\"The world only goes round by misunderstanding.\"
    - Charles Baudelaire

\"It is quality, not quantity.\"

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

So called artists who never change, why do you call yourself an artist again?

Agree? Yes No

You're right, the next Hendrix hasn't come along yet. I still don't see what's so bad about using "dated" sounds or sounding "dated". Ladytron,Fisherspooner, and others sound so dated it isn't even funny and yet people go ga-ga over them. I guess as always with sounds it boils down to taste and what sounds you like and what you don't. AND ONE I feel is a good example of this. They use very dated sounds and in fact it seems use the same sounds on every album. There are many who hate AND ONE just for this fact. I happen to love the old sounds they use and love their style of synthpop/ebm. On the other hand I hate the sounds VNV nation used on every album. I came to hate the Virus preset they used and every other futurepop band since. So what am I saying? It boils down to personal preference, even with major labels, they either like your sound/sounds or they don't. I just get pissed when people try to cater to others wants and don't make the music they want to make.

Agree? Yes No

And One is a great band. They can get away with the outdated feel, because their usage of harmonic and chord progressions. They know their musical arrangements. They are excellent pop song writers who don't make you feel sissy.

Ladytron can make using Casio Tonebank a cool thing to do. Their image and attitude are are so strong. Like I said, it all depends on how strong and cool the band can appear to the public. Most bands who used old sounds feel sissy and weak.

The goal for yourself to analyze is think about yourself. How strong are you? Look at some old chessy rommantic movies. Noticed, Frank Sinatra does most chessiest thing to get the girl, but it doesn't look cheesy compare to other actors of his time? How about something simple like making a salad for lunch. Noticed some places make better salad than others? What makes it different? That's something you have to think about.

Important step to measure is ask yourself,
    1) are you in tune with the current society?
    2) Do you understand what is going on in the pop culture?
    3) What can you do something different than others?
    4) What can you do to stand out from the rest?
    5) Do you have an unique personality?
    I hope this helps.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

\"There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.\"
    - Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

\"why is it feel like a greatful dead show here? like that hippe that constantly talks about one band and how they changed their lives.\"

PLEASE NO MORE \"I am a robot music.\" You are not a robot. Learn to program better like human beings.\"

Electro is House music. If you don\'t like House music, please don\'t put down Electro, because it is trendy to say it. It might suprise you that Electro and House music were invented by Gay Black Americans in the mid 80s. They weren\'t invented by the beatless people who like to coin new trendy phrases.

I am so tired of \"I want to be Depeche Mode or Erasure for the last 25 years.\" I hope I am not the only one. 25 years is a quarter of century and about a 1/3 of human life. If a person spends a 1/3 of his or her life having the same tastes, I don\'t know if that person acquired enough information to have an interesting life or has a problem understanding he or she is no longer a teenager.

Agree? Yes No

You know me, I love the dated sound...Mike I say The Daily Worker have a great image, I love the vintage suit look you guys got going on, and the music...Damn man, it's a matter of time until someone picks you guys up and gets an album released...

I love the dated sound, I think you guys pull it off really well...Anyone who might think otherwise just has to give Crystal Factory or Diamond a spin and they'll see what's up...Demos or not, "A Days Wages" gets constant airtime in my xB, and I can hear the potential in each song and can see that you guys have amazing talent and know your shit when it comes to playing your instruments...Not only that, but I have both of your DVD's and I can vouch that you guys freaking rawk and play everything live on stage

I know I didn't really offer too much feedback on the whoe "dated" theory...I simply say screw it, do what you like and play what you like...Besides, everything will be dated sooner or later if you think about it...If you can pull it off, go for it...And The Daily Worker can pull it off just fine

DAN (is a Daily Worker fanboy)
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

I never heard of Daily Worker, but do not disappoint me like others. Take your time and come out strong. Never do shit half ass. Always 120%, because 110% sucks ass these days.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by pop
    I never heard of Daily Worker, but do not disappoint me like others. Take your time and come out strong. Never do shit half ass. Always 120%, because 110% sucks ass these days.
    Thats Techpo12's (Mike's) band They are up and coming and are definitely a great live band who have a lot of talent...
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

Great!
    I am not going to bother looking it up.
    When Mike is ready, let us know, give me a good presentation of your sound.

=====Pressure========

Remember to constantly reinvent yourself, if you FAIL. Nobody said, you have to be same person for the rest of your life. Nobody knows the first right step. If you fail, you try again in a different way, but not the same way.

"analogy"
    Also, it is also important to try different food, so you know why some people like certain tastes. How do you know you won't like Indian food, if you never tried it? If it taste like shit on the first taste, take another bite and still taste like shit, forget it. If it tastes good on the 2nd bite, don't discount the taste.
    Also, having an EGO of preference toward certain genera of music is a quickest way for you to fall down.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

Dan, you are too kind. Pop, thanks for the pointers. I agree that image is a huge thing. I still wish I could push the guys in my band more that way. Playing live sets us apart from many other electronic bands. I again wish we could up the notch there. Strong production is also very important and that is where I admit I need help. Yeah, the songs are decent and the sounds are cool but I am not a strong yet at EQing, and using compression, etc. Mostly because I don't know how to do that stuff.
    Pop, you are right, a lot of synthy bands do unfortunately have a wussy feel to them but if that is what they are going for then more power to them, I'm not gonna dislike them for that reason alone.

Agree? Yes No

I agree. It is important to map out that people consume music based on their lifestyles and how they want to represent themselves. It is true, certain sounds can make that happen easier, but NOT NECESSARY TRUE. We have covered this discussion earlier. I have to say, Ladytron is a very good example.
    www.myspace.com/pswk

- Pablo Picasso

- Charles Baudelaire

Agree? Yes No

Nobody does it to rock bands?

The day you find me liking the Black Crowes, the Travelling Willburrys (sp?), Kid Rock, the Georgia Satellites or ANY of that sort of thing is the day Hell freezes over. I DESPISED the whole 70s come-back movement, and am glad it's mostly over (I say mostly only because I rarely listen to anything mainstream, so am not sure that it doesn't still exist).
    So there is at least one person on this planet (two, if you count my husband) who think the same thing about rock bands.

Agree? Yes No

Oh! You guys did it?!
    Talk about keeping it in the down-low.
    sshhhhh

heh. giggling cause no one will know wtf I'm talking about,...except for one person here on this thread.
    ------------------------------
    www.myspace.com/noirtech
    ------------------------------

Thread Information