Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 

Thread: Buying old unremastered CDs

Agree? Yes No

Default Buying old unremastered CDs

During the 80s I spent most of my hard earned money on only a select few bands. Now, im starting to appreciate a lot of the stuff I dismissed back then. Every once in a while, I'll pick up something from that era and hear what I've missed.

Yesterday, I picked up Dead or Alive's 'Youthquake'. When I got in my car and popped it in, I was so disappointed at the sound quality. It sounded tinny like a lot of the records that were rushed and put on CD sounded like back then.

I know it's impossible to predict but in your opinion, with the remastering craze going on in the CD market currently, is it safe to assume that eventually all these beloved 80s CDs will be remastered? Should I hold off on picking any more up or will i be waiting in vein?

Agree? Yes No

With Pete Burns recent stint on Celebrity Big Brother on TV I can guarantee Youthquake will be rematered and rerelesed within the next couple of months to cash in on his current public status. You Spin Me Right Round has be rerelesed and charted.
    As for other 80's albums, I suppose it depends how obscure or popular they are and how well a remastered rerelese would sell. I doubt if Pete hadn't gone on CBB that anyone would have bothered with Youthquake.
    Crash

Agree? Yes No

The levels are often really low as well, compared with what's coming out now. I played an early Berlin track off of 'Pleasure Victim' and had to max everything out just to keep the level with everything else.

I think that's going for $4.99 at Amazon...kinda wish they would remaster that one.
    A04 of SoundMine, self-proclaimed electromilitant

Agree? Yes No

What about buying used copies from Amazon, MusicStack, Gemm, etc.? That way you don't get burned quite as much if the sound quality isn't great (which it wasn't on a lot of old stuff) and if it comes back out in a remastered form, you can always get yourself a new cleaner copy...
    \"I will live forever in your mind, thoughts are forever intertwined...\" Red Flag \"Eternal Flame\"

I don\'t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :loco: :goofball:

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by A04
    The levels are often really low as well, compared with what's coming out now. I played an early Berlin track off of 'Pleasure Victim' and had to max everything out just to keep the level with everything else.

I think that's going for $4.99 at Amazon...kinda wish they would remaster that one.
    Pleasure Victim is a great 80s CD. I would love to hear it remastered.
    Complicating. Circulating.
    Operating. Generating.

Agree? Yes No

Usually the only way an 80's artist will get their music remastered is with the issue of a greatest hits or Master Hits cd...I've noticed that a lot of 80's artists have titles such as 20th Century Masters coming out right now...It won't be long until bands like Berlin and Dead Or Alive get that treatment...
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

test

Agree? Yes No

i think you can avoid all of that by picking yourself up a nice turntable and buying those albums on vinyl

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Joel
    i think you can avoid all of that by picking yourself up a nice turntable and buying those albums on vinyl
    AMEN TO THAT!!!

You have no idea how much I miss my Denon setup living up here right now...It's locked away in storage with 97% of my music collection...

Nothing beats the sound of vinyl
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by 7red7

AMEN TO THAT!!!

You have no idea how much I miss my Denon setup living up here right now...It's locked away in storage with 97% of my music collection...

Nothing beats the sound of vinyl
    Totally agree, nothing beats the sound of vinyl, and you get a big cover to look at too!
    The feel of vinyl too. Sliding it out if it's sleeve, blowing the dust off, slipping it on to your turntable, gently placing the needle on...I fear I've said too much...
    Crash

test

Agree? Yes No

you better be cleaning those records... there shouldn't be any dust on them!

Agree? Yes No

No way man, I got dust jackets with the adhesive flaps for every one of my records...No dust on my collection!!! ;P

Agree? Yes No

I never used to have plastic sleeves on my records, I got 600+ and thats a lot of sleeves...until...I awoke one morning to find my cat had used a big chunk of them as a scratching post, I swear I nearly cried! Now, plastic sleves for every one!
    Crash

Agree? Yes No

The American CD re-issue seems to be a cheaper grade from a few labels ive noticed Most digitally remasterd albums in uk sound crystal clear. The Numan re-issues on Beggars,EMi,Eagle were great. The Cleopatra ones were bad. I think the price of the CD in america is why in a few cases you get such a crap product. My attitude if its in cheap packaging what else have they skimped on. I wont bother buying it..
    music for deviant boy\'s and girls f**k playing master and servent\'s
    this is the new s**t

http://www.thethoughtcriminals.com

Agree? Yes No

Hey, get your cd collection and tape it to a chrome cassette! That's heaven! :P

My God, technology HAS evolved...

Agree? Yes No

Originally posted by Kirlian Blue
    The American CD re-issue seems to be a cheaper grade from a few labels ive noticed Most digitally remasterd albums in uk sound crystal clear....Beggars,EMi,Eagle were great...
    im not entirely happy with some of the Beggars reissues (not referring to the Numan CDs). JohnDent did ok with some of them, others have too much high-end crackle...of course that could be the remaster revealing a poor original mix. im thinking particularly of the TonesOnTail 'Everything' release. when you play it at a lower volume, everything is fine, but when you turn it up, it starts to break.
    the EMI series that ive heard so far are fair enough (obligatory volume boost with a slight high-end shave). i think the Virgin reissues of the first three OMD albums have to be some of the best ive heard so far.
    havent heard anything f/ the Eagle label yet (sans theCure Triology DVD, and that sounds fair enough).
    theCure reissues (Atlantic/Rhino/WEA) have revealed some major original mix problems, imo. that said, i do enjoy having the bonus discs. i still can't bring myself to trade out the orig cd pressings of those yet.
    dont die...
    fen.

CTRL

Thread Information