Site Search   TV Channel 1  Add this Player to my Google page. Add this Player to your MySpace page or personal website.
 Videos   Songs   Blogs   Forums   Podcast 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: De/Vision- Subkutan Discussion

Agree? Yes No

While I do like this album, more with each listen in fact, I'll totally agree that they themselves set their standards very high and Subkutan doesn't live up to those standards.
    I still like it enough to buy it though!
    I'll also agree that they are churning albums out too fast these days, taking their time more would make a ot of difference. If the had crammed the best bits of the last three albums into one release that would have been a stand out album!
    Crash

Agree? Yes No

i think what crash mentioned about "standards" is correct. it seems to be the case that as bands get further and further into their careers, it's harder to make a "standout" album because of the amount of history they already have. every track on subkutan gets compared to every track on world without end, antiquity, fairyland, monosex, void, two, devolution, 6FU, etc etc. it's like constantly trying to top your "best of". if "subkutan" was released by a brand new ADD band, people would be freaking out at how awesome it was. it's definitely difficult as a band to constantly try to top your past heights, especially in the case where you're over 15 years into your career (like d/v)...

Agree? Yes No

I liked Two after listening to it for such a long time, Devolution was catchy enough, but I didn't even remember 6 Feet Underground. Subkutan continues the downward trend in my interest for new De/Vision material.

You are right about setting the bar high, and then living up to expectations with subsequent albums...but I just haven't liked the more recent material.

=(
    Kris \'Destral\' Wilke
    kris@destral.net
    www.destral.net

Agree? Yes No

...on another note, Placebo's new album, MEDS, comes out next month!!
    \"I\'m just an ordinary man
    With extraordinary hands
    I don\'t want to hear your answers
    I don\'t have the big plan\"

test

Agree? Yes No

with all that's being said about De/vision and their standards and their catalog and all that other bullcrap... Subkutan is still a great album, period

if you haven't purchased the album already... then don't NOT buy it because you hear bad reviews on here... you should buy it for the mere fact that it gets bad reviews on here... belie-dat!

Agree? Yes No

It's not a great album people.

Period.
    With extraordinary hands

test

Agree? Yes No

Dan needs to refer himself to my signature where the truth can be told.

Til the end of time the supreme truth of the land will be told in my signature and in my signature only.

Don't listen to anything Dan says, he is el gato de negro.

Agree? Yes No

Wait...you are saying not to listen to Dan,...but instead to go by what your signature says...which is something that Dan said?
    My head hurts.
    ------------------------------
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

Agree? Yes No

yeah, ok Joel....
    With extraordinary hands

Agree? Yes No

I've got to jump in and get Dan's back on this one. We've both been into De/Vision for a decade and this is far and away their worst album.

Someone made the comment that if it was a new ADD band then people would love it - I disagree. People shouldn't have to settle for mediocre material from a band that has released such exceptional albums in the past. It's one thing to be a psycho completist (myself being one of them) and need EVERYTHING they put out but bad music is still bad music, be it D/V, DM or whomever.

Everyone falls in love with bands for different reasons. We'll probably never see another Try To Forget, We Fly...Tonight, or Slient Moan. Dan & I agree that they've lost some of their magic when Markus left. It pains me to say their recent albums have felt directionless and forgetable. It also feels weird that this is the first De/Vision album I won't be purchasing...

-Craig

test

Agree? Yes No

well i gotta come in and get my own back... i've been into De/vision for a long time as well and I think that if they released another Try To Forget that I'd be pretty disappointed in the band

World Without End is a great album... I love it... but that is behind them... I hold the opinion that their newer stuff since Monosex is just different than that... it's not as simple... it's more electronically diverse and deep

you complain about people falling in love with a band and i'm assuming you are referring to people just liking whatever comes out because they are _____ (enter band name here)

well i see your complaint and raise you a complaint referring to all the people who want a band to sound like they did a decade or two ago

Depeche Mode is not going to release another Violator... they can release a Violator clone album and it's not going to be Violator

Iris isn't going to release another Disconnect... just not gonna happen

(i only mention those two because those are two common complaints i always hear)

De/vision isn't going to release another World Without End.... thank god they have progressed beyond that point

stop living in the past...

and i'm sorry you don't like this new album because i think it's fantastic... i've already played it through at least four times

Agree? Yes No

So let me see if I've got this right:
    it seems the general consensus is that the latest De/Vision release is disappointing, but Joel likes it. Got it, moving on...
    Complicating. Circulating.
    Operating. Generating.

test

Agree? Yes No

the general consensus of this messageboard makes me lol

Agree? Yes No

The new album is F'IN DOPE!

just my 2 cents!

Agree? Yes No

Joel likes it and Lars likes it, I'm gonna try it out and see if I like it...Again, I trust Joel's tastes and Lars is one of my heroes in this music

Although I don't care for Two at all, so Joel you can biyatch slap me anytime for that one
    "For every minute of my life I spend unhappy, that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend my time wasting my life."

Agree? Yes No

I posted about a week ago that my favorite 2 were Monosex and Fairyland and that I was disappointed in Two. After seeing quite a few people praise Two I went back to listen again. Although lacking the bounce that I usually desire, the emotion of 'All I Ever Do' 'Silent Moan' and 'Drowning Soul' has made me a fan of this disc. What a great way to open this disc with 3 intense beautiful songs!

I still can't wait for Subtukan to arrive!

Agree? Yes No

Well...I bought it last night at the club. I think this thread had me going into this album with extremely low expectations, that once I played it in the car on my way home, I didn't think it was that bad. I guess I was expecting the worst thing ever off of this album. Sure, it's not an instant classic like some of their other releases, but I liked the last album, so I guess I fall into the catagory where this album is good, but not their best effort. Well worth listening to it I guess.
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

test

Agree? Yes No

Erick, you know you cannot trust the opinions of people on the internet... especially when their name is Dan

Agree? Yes No

Oh come on. What is this...high school?
    heh.
    That was like 16 years ago.
    www.myspace.com/noirtech

Agree? Yes No

Ok Subkutan arrived at my house today. In earlier posts I indicated that it seemed like a good record after I first listened to many of the songs from their Myspace.

I just listened to it in full for the first time without distraction. Here's my new review.

The disc starts out with a nice up beat and catchy dance track 'Subtronic' although it does have that awful lyric "We Gonna Rock You, We Gonna Rock You Right." Hey it's still fun and I love the overall tone it sets. The next track is one of my favorites called "The End" which continues on the uptempo side. I found the programming to be dark sort of minimalistic, but yet catchy.

Star Crossed Lovers: Nice slower tune but interesting and reminds me a bit of Depeche Mode Black Celebration era, which is a great thing.

Addict: One of my favorites back to uptempo, pounding a bit and cool retro/retro synth stylings at times. Catchy and fun, one of their best.

Obey Your Heart: Keeping the disc strong love the Nitzer Ebb type of opening on this one. Great beat!

From there IMHO it starts to become rather average, good but nothing great. For me it's too slow. The second half of the disc left me feeling lethargic, like something was missing. The disc is good, but not as solid as my favorite De/Vision discs Monosex or Fairyland.

I'm going to have to listen more and I'm sure it will grow on me. I think it's better than Devolution and 6 Feet Underground.

I'd give it a solid 3 stars out of 4, but I do wish the second part of the disc had the energy, the vibe, the beat, the programming quality of the first 5 songs.

Thread Information